traffic rules for paddling back to the line up.
That was my lowdown when I was a grom. Sadly this isn't really the reality. I'd also extend it to people sitting too far inside (as in where you should paddle)...
Join the conversation
Sign up for free
OR
Login
The no-drop-in rule is well known as it is the surfer who is closest to the breaking wave that has right of way. This is definitely official, but what about a rule for getting out of the way of a surfer who is riding a wave while you are paddling back up. I find that there is a lot of grey area in this activity. I am no wave hog but I feel that there should be a universal rule for keeping out of the way that should be as well known as the no- drop-in rule. As a rule I paddle way out of the workable face of the wave so as I don't get in the way and if not possible I paddle and duck-dive the broken wave section whichever is the closest option. I find that there are some surfers that tend not to do this. It could be due to the non existence of a paddling back rule for all surfers. I have had some instances where I have to slalom surf instead of working the wave and I have had a couple of close shaves. I wonder if a paddling back rule would be possible on crowded breaks. I surf in Vic. where the crowd isn't as bad as qld. Any thoughts?