More from Wax On
notadmin
said:
Predator on a mission. https://www.instagram.com/p/DM078olTQ4T/?igsh=MXRobDY0aml1amtuYQ==
Test Format
2
andy-mac
said:
[quote=basesix][quote=sypkan]
:..why the fuck would you come to Indonesia?
I love Bali
3139
Rochko B
said:
I have one in those dimensions; it's my favourite board. Instant connection and super carvy.
~ Spotted ~ Gumtree ~ Ebay ~ Facey ~
1395
truebluebasher
said:
Dedicated to Craig's Miraculous Boardswaps & Leggie Swaps
( Lost'n'Found Forward )
Distant memory Guns that resurfa
Miraculous board retrieval stories
11
Much more than a Bump
Launched is the term I heard
But that's 3rd hand info...
Nothing on his insta. must be holding the footage for the highest bidder
Burch has been doing a lot of writing himself. I'm sure he's controlling the narrative, so to speak.
Sharks sell. Just ask Mick.
A woman has been knocked off her surf ski by a massive shark off the coast of Albany.
The terrifying incident took place at Cheynes Beach just before 8am on Thursday.
Fisheries officers said that a 5-6m shark took out a chunk out of the surf ski, knocking the woman into the water.
“The incident occurred approximately 100m offshore, in waters near the Cheynes Beach Caravan Park.
Jebus, that's a big f*cker.
Seaslug. hi. back in the early 80’s surfed Cheyne’s Point a lot. Never felt easy in the water, always looking around or over your shoulder. One outing to there, through a mad rush, accidentally left my board back in Albany. I watched my mates surf and i was the designated spotter. Beautiful landscape that region.AW
Haven't watched this yet, but caught a glimpse today. When I get a chance I might backtrack.
https://iview.abc.net.au/video/NC2302Q003S00
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-13/valerie-taylor-lifelong-quest-to…
Sounds like it was very close to the point. Deep dark water off the back of the take off.
Alot of whale carcasses wash up along that coast.
Not too far from Bremer Canyon.
Shit tonne of marine activity.
Glad it wasn't more serious.
Cheynes spooky as fk.
Sadly it has a history.
Cheers for the headsup SS.
https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/albany-shark-warning-whale-carcass-spott…
https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/animals/decomposing-fin-whal…
The second link shows an aerial photo of the spot it happened today, a few years ago when a whale washed up there. Crazy pic.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2023-05-09/anglers-say-there-are-mo…
ABC story quotes:
"It's getting more and more common now to wind up half sharks — small sharks that are getting eaten by bigger sharks — I never saw that 10 years ago."
"What we found is that the sharks arrived quicker and quicker each day to the point where on the sixth day, they arrived within literally a few minutes — very quickly," Dr Mitchell says.
"We filmed at Swains reef [GBR] on a mother ship about four weeks ago. There were days where you got no fish back. At one point we went through 75 hooks in three days — sharks just taking everything."
Some pretty big changes occurring.
Surf ski motors might start to become a dinner bell?
ha, frog, good point.. no good for towers.. it has long been said that the cage-diving around here is training big-uns to associate the human-form in a tea-bag with chummed up water
Jody P - Fitz - whats your thoughts on Shark numbers ?
Given the trends it is surprising there are not more attacks. Goes to show how hard wired their behaviour is to what they grow up eating and are familiar with and how they hang around certain good food source locations.
If they start taking fish off lines near your local surf spot - time to worry - as it means their numbers, confidence and proximity are tipping the risk scale significantly.
The increase in the recreational fishing population in popular areas is also a big contributor to the problem that fishermen are seeing.
With so many boats at certain spots , the volume of fish getting hooked puts a hell of lot of stimuli out there to attract more sharks. And sharks are always up for an easy meal, they've been following trawlers etc since the industry began.
You can still get skunked while fishing with no one around though. The numbers have definitely increased dramatically over the years imo.
Tiger sharks have been the biggest pain in the arse in my commercial fishing experience. I'd hate to put a dollar amount on how much I've been taxed in the way of lost product and damaged gear by the men in grey.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-13/shark-attack-near-elliston-on-sa…
Re: the fishing, did 120m off Exmouth back in 2009 and you had 5 minutes at a new spot before your bottom fish was coming up with a tiger shark attached. We were hunted about the sea...
Tragic news from SA if true
Tiger Shark attack on kayak. The speed and aggression reminds us who is boss out there if they decide to have a go.
whoa, territorial alpha kamikaze .. sounds like dave hughes in the kayak..
a few more details:
('Scott Haraguchi was fishing when the tiger shark rammed into his kayak in the waters off windward Oahu Friday')
Goldy Slob - Around 12.50 min
Stabi Craft - 4.42m
great fishing video!
https://www.realestate.com.au/news/shark-hunter-vic-hislop-revealed-as-…?
The size of that thing caught off P.I. Faark!
I wonder if he managed to sell that 5m White he's had on ice for 30 years.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3368592/Queensland-shark-hunte…
tee to green in 1 -
nicely played ws!
I used to think Hammerheads were sort of placid after all those documentaries showing schools of them looking slow and dopey. But this is the second video I have seen making them look a bit crazy! What do the experienced fishermen think?
Horrible video doing the rounds at the moment of a Russian guy getting fatally attacked by a Tiger shark in Egypt.
Can hear him yelling out for help a few times just off shore. Not nice viewing.
Yep had that forwarded to me and watched it without really knowing what it was. Heavy.
Poor person.
Saw that vid…almost more eerie in the flat, calm water with the shark just casually taking its time…no violent thrashing.
Must have been disturbing to see live.
https://www.realestate.com.au/news/shark-hunter-vic-hislop-revealed-as-…
It’s far from a shark attack, but this guy was speared through the nose by a garfish while surfing in Indo.
https://www.9news.com.au/national/perth-fish-in-face-surfer-indonesia/c…
I recently bought a whole heap of 60s and 70s Nat Geo (which are absolutely mind blowing) and there was an article in a 1974 edition about a Pardachirus fish. They did a lot of experiments with this fish and sharks in Red Sea. This fish species had poison that deterred sharks. Shark would approach it with open mouth but it was unable to bite and it would just run away. This occurred for hours, even water was full of other fish and sharks were on a frenzy. They were dreaming of building some repellant that they could put on a wetsuit so they could swim with sharks fear free.
Does anyone know about this? Did it go anywhere, is there any potential with some repellant like this?
Is that the fish poison that had to be so near to the shark to be effective that it proved to be ineffective for us? I think it fucked with their gills?
(haha, holy shit coaster!)
They didn’t really specify the distance but they seemed to be quite optimistic about it. They believed that some invisible poison got released into empty space which deterred sharks. If true, you could control how much (and at what radius) is released to mitigate the distance risk. It was all experimental in the article so I’m curious if anyone got to the next stage.
I can't link anything from my work computer, but a search on wikipedia comes up with Pardaxin as the toxin used by this fish. And yep, BaseSix, trials seemed to determine that it almost needed to be spayed directly in the sharks mouth, and it dillutes in the water very quickly.
I suppose it'd still keep the thing to just the first bite, and however quickly it dillutes, it'd still give it pause to return. Both small consolations, but i think i would use it if were developed into a commercial item.
Seems like that isn't gonna happen, though.
Troughblock Algaecide or dishwasher soapcake
How'd ya mean, Ray?
I think he's suggesting commercially available alternatives. The kind of stuff strict, old school parents would make you chew on as punishment for swearing.
I think he's suggesting commercially available alternatives. The kind of stuff strict, old school parents would make you chew on as punishment for swearing.[/quote]
Oh. I wouldn't know. I never swore. Or sinned. (lol)
Might need some of that around here soon, they’re burying a dead whale in the foredunes up the road.
https://amp.abc.net.au/article/102551942
Hi wax24. Yes, troughblocks which farmers use to keep water for stock clean, are primarily Copper Sulphate,a chemical similar to the one found in rotten shark meat which is known to repel shark feeding behavior. Unfortunately it is highly toxic to most aquatic life &also probably not that good to bathe in ! Many old- shool detergents contain Sodium Lauryl Sulphate,another chemical proven to induce gagging&dry retching if enough of it gets into sharks gills. This is all speculative......happy surfing!
Nothing like burying a dead whale in a foredune to bring people together.
Couple of Hundred litres of Dye in the Hole with it would have been A Good Move
Track that Oil Slick....
Powder / Liquid - https://www.drbeach.org/dr-beach
Bear experts understand well that a food conditioned bear is a dangerous bear. They hang around civilisation and have lost their shyness and so tend to persistently cause trouble.
But of course shark dive tourism is harmless.
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20230627-the-alpine-row-over-problem…
I'm with ya, Frog.
Seems the marine bio/eco crowd believe that shark diving does two things.... one, it gives sharks a monetary value other than shark finning, so humans might leave them alone, or, at least, alive, and two, it gives a softer view of them than media/hollywood has, again, so that humans might leave them alone, or, at least, alive.
Seems that crowd do not believe there is any direct correlation of shark diving and "negative shark/human interactions."
I think they are so set on saving the sharks (i wanna save em, too), that they turn a willful blind eye to the point you're getting at, but that's just me.
Continued development of shark repellents is the golden ticket?
I do think shark behavior towards humans is shifting. I just hope my SharkEyes actually work.
This is incredible footage of a great white at JBay a few hours ago .
gets interesting at the 4.20 minutes mark
Incredible footage...