More from Wax Off
truebluebasher said: Who requested the most despicable reverse hostile cross national sickly song about world's #1 arsehole!
Think tbb should first warn the…
World Music... oops, I mean, music that is perhaps unfamiliar to western listeners because it's from underrepresented places..61
blackers said: A song fer Sussan.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay…
Tunes8,398
lucky-al said: Likewise, freeride76. Will call in next time I'm down your way.
Botany Nerds Ahoy2,639
seeds
said:
Oh shit yeah, I’ve been there a couple of times. Once on school camp and once as a adult 25 years younger than now.
Show us your photos
2812
seeds
said:
Opti said “Anyone who reads your past comments will easily see why you’re not worth engaging in conversation.”
No numbn
All Things Religion Thread
5463
Optimist
said:
Where I live now is perfect…..but I’ve had better in the past.
Where in AUS would you live in you could take your pick?
17
freeride76
said:
You're always going to run the risk of a big flatty busting you or biting you off on light gear and bait hooks.
I wou
Fishing tips
1149
Supafreak
said:
This guy has broken his back in 2 places plus other injuries but this horrific fall didn’t break his spirit, such a amaz
The MTB Thread
315
Earnings by ABS. The full-time average weekly is ~$1,800 x 52 = $93,600/12 = $7,800 per month. Now, before people jump there is also a table with the industry breakdown showing big deltas. Mining is more than double of accommodation & food services. So, it's very subjective and contextual. People working in accommodation & food services are pretty much screwed.
This salary could possibly maintain a $3,000ish mortgage (and even that's maybe, taxes need to be deducted from $7,800). A couple could probably go a bit more. $3,000 converts to ~$600k balance. How many people have mortgages above $600k? Those are the ones that are most at risk.
Casuals have no chance.
https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/labour/earnings-and-working-condition…
"Sunny Coast is having major issues I am told finding staff in hospitality sector, what they pay cannot support people to live in the area."
The first thing the Sunny Coast needs to do is take a leaf out of Byron's book - attract heaps of foreign workers, cram them into defacto hostels (i.e. share houses) and then exploit the fuck out of them.
I think you can pretty much throw that average wage figure out the window - the median income is ONE THIRD less than the average at around $1250 per week. Fuck me that's a big difference.
Now we can do some sums and talk about a working poor, or the permanent renting class, or modern serfdom etc etc.
$1250 is all earnings including casual. The above average is excluding casuals. Median full-time is $1,600 for men and $1,442 for women.
Source: https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/labour/earnings-and-working-condition…
I've seen the corp profits fall in this reporting season on quite a few companies - some from abnormally good earnings last couple of years to be fair. So that is happening.
And thanks for teaching me 'post materialism'. I was thinking it was going to be quite bohemian, but it seems it's the replacement of material things with images of stuff posted online.
All the best @durutti
x2.
No beer, no coffee, no vices at all here.
Cut right back on all ancillary spending.
classic and collector cars go up in flames in northern Sydney:
https://www.9news.com.au/national/ingleside-building-fire-mona-vale-roa…
You need a pay rise
All the best, guys. Bloody not easy at the moment.
Not sure how the hell people are going to cope over here in NZ, but it's not going to be pretty.
I stand corrected.
And here I was thinking I was on the median income when fact I’m a fair bit below it.
Yay!
Was it here on SN that I read that saving $27.50 a day adds up to $10K a year?
We’ve had some tough conversations in our household about what’s essential, what’s discretionary and what’s a luxury.
Ride my bike to work pretty much rain hail or shine, make a plunger coffee at work, take my lunch to work. Slowly getting the missus to drop the “I’m hungry, I’ll just buy a snack” mentality. It helps.
Good luck crew.
This one will also hurt, I still got $35k to pay off.
https://amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/jan/28/inflation-driven…
Depressing reading tbh.
My wife wants us to move to Oz but i don't know how I can replicate the same standard of living there that I enjoy here.
On my last trip home I was gobsmacked on just how crazy expensive Oz is. I dunno how young people or just even normal people get by. My best mate is on $200k with a Sydney mortgage and he says he still has to count his pennies.
Worse, much worse, in NZ. We can't believe how cheap things are in OZ when we go there.
I feel your pain, Zen. I've pretty much given up moving back to Aus. I'm looking forward to an extended retirement playing gateball and shogi in the local park. Or perhaps moving south to one of the islands. It's hard to believe that when I arrived in Japan, everything seemed so expensive. What a role reversal.
A quick video on how Australia (or more precisely: Scomo) changed the world economy forever:
I scoffed a little but tremendously enjoyed the idea that the shoot from the hip request for the covid origins inquiry prompted such an angry and poorly thought out response that it effectively decoupled the world economy. The overall theme is by going through the trade war, Australia revealed it's customer as being overly dependent. Scomo stands as the most influential Australian PM on the world stage ever with that move, lol!
Time for a huge marble statue of Scomo next to the Opera House? Maybe along the lines of Michaelangelo's David - Scomo nude with ripped heroic dad bod and slingshot?
Brother Stewy.....
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/feb/28/stuart-robert-sa…
The Hon. Stuart Robodebt is up tomorrow.
Watch him squirm here.
https://robodebt.royalcommission.gov.au/
Yep, I hope to be able to catch a bit of it!
Will be interesting...
The legality of Robodebt is one thing, but even more fundamental was the flawed logic of the scheme.
Averaging always includes results that are substantial variations from the mean. In terms of imposing debts in the real world, it flows automatically that the vast majority of people will pay too little or too much. The amounts levied will be predominantly wrong by default. No legal advice is required to make a judgement on how unfair that is.
How many people must have seen that as acceptable (or were afraid to speak up) from concept to implementation is astounding.
I once spoke to someone directly involved in the pink bats debacle. They said any negativity to the concept was ignored or deemed to be not team player behaviour and strongly discouraged.
Group think and single minded pursuit of objectives can be very dangerous.
As expected, technological advancements produce more revenue at a lower cost base. The correlation between profits and wages doesn't really exist anymore. Or if it does, it is quite weak and getting weaker.
Robodebt was a nasty deliberate exercise from its inception by LNP... Scomo, Stewy, Tudge etc have blood on their hands, they are directly responsible for people committing suicide. They knew this was happening, but kept the program going.
Let that sink in....
This has now plainly been demonstrated through Royal Commission.
Today will be interesting to see what type of spin brother stuey comes up with. Will his memory be in tact ?
I can't recall.
I wasn't told.
I wasn't aware.
Someone who I cannot remember said it was legal.
Labor did it.
It's Labor's fault.
I'm a good Christian.
re the Profit and Wages index graph above, flollo is correct.
It doesn't make sense to compare wages to profits since increased profits may be due to other things than labour productivity.
It's more valid to compare wages to labour productivity:
United States

Australia

"In the United States, the productivity of nonfarm workers is measured as the output of goods and services per hour worked."
"In Australia, Productivity is the real value of output produced by a unit of labor during a certain time."
Why should people get paid more per hr if they don't produce more value per hr? Anyone reading this who currently or has ever run a business knows it's not sensible to pay people more if they're not adding more value by being more productive.
This is what's wrong with the current "wages growth" disinformation propaganda campaign getting spammed across the media. People seem to expect that wages growth should "be higher" because it's "fair" or something. The only sustainable long-term driver of wages growth is labour productivity.
I agree that the chart is correct but the metric itself as you said is not relevant. Productivity is a way better metric, that was my point without adding all the info you added.
Loyalty to the party made him act in this way , whatever happened to loyalty to serve the public with honesty and lawfulness ?
Yet another way in which our democracy is seriously compromised - pollies beholden to the cabinet or caucus first and foremost.
Constituents are a distant second if you're lucky.
LNP knowingly lied to the Australian public. I'm shocked I tell ya!!!!!
“ A dutiful cabinet minister “ fark me he needs to watch this performance on the telly tonight. I feel another resignation coming and he’ll just walk off into the sunset , pension in hand .
Staggering!!!
https://www.9news.com.au/national/trucking-industry-facing-major-pressu…
"But for truck operators, fuel is their biggest seed cost when it comes to running a business, amplifying the importance of the ongoing increase.
"It's beyond our control, and it's gone through the roof," Smith said.
Additionally, many truck businesses are unable to pass those higher costs on, being locked into contracts or agreements that leave them footing the bigger bills and essentially getting less reimbursement for the same service."
Train wreck!
Another major achievment for Stuey- anyone remember the covid safe app?$21 mil- gone at mates rates! https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/politics/2022/12/04/stuart-robert-covid…
It detected two cases of Covid???
Hahahahahahahaha!
Fuck me those arseholes are full criminals.
Satirical news outlet most accurate in Australia...
Geez the Australian media is shit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If rumours of a spill is on the cards in the LP become true , who’s going to challenge Angus or Sussy ?
Are there rumours? Potato head already on the nose? One of those soon to homeless black cockatoos from Perth could replace Suzy.
Just Twitter rumours , comments are always fun ………
Geez so much talent to choose from!!!
Apparently all the Sydney trains stopped:
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/no-trains-are-moving-all-sydney-tra…
Now everyone will start bitching. I am quite satisfied with our public transport. I used it in most of our cities and never had any issues. It kinda sucks that our cities are so spread out so building a dense network is very expensive and uneconomical. So, there are quite a few underserved areas but overall, I’m happy with the system in all our cities.
Scotty’s mate and his family etc. Ripping off the parishioners.
https://apple.news/A0Q_3gv59SuSP_LAJDc-47Q
Another great Scotty move!!
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/mar/08/housing-australi…
Why can’t Australia be independent and produce and manufacture our own fuel needs and forget about what price everyone else is paying, why are we bound by international prices and supply ? I’ve never understand this and can someone explain all of this to me please.