Get better surf forecasts and support an independent surf business. No ads. No corporate backing.
Swellnet is owned by surfers, not corporations. Subscribers keep our independent content, forecasts and surfcam network running - with no ads for anyone.
I just reread this thread and was thrown by a comment from Freeride saying he liked his Indo boards " foiled out ".
I take this to mean thicker in the middle of the board and tapered towards each end ?
Isn't that standard in modern boards though ?
Gaz1799
Wednesday, 22 Feb 2017 at 03:33 pm
new
I'm 75 kg and I generally ride my boards just under 30 litres although my grov boards are around the 32 litre mark.
I rode a firewire baked potato for about 18 months and chuckled to myself when I read a few comments here earlier about the tail not holding in steeper waves and the foam allocation. The board I had was 5'3" x 21 1/2 x 2 3/8 & 32.4L with a big square wide ass on it that caught every bit of froth in shit conditions, was also an absolute missile but good luck catching anything with a face! The big tail sat on top of the face on the take off and often sent me ass over coight when a decent set rolled through. The foam allocation made it feel more like 5'10" to paddle but I don't think I'll ever go shorter than 5'6" in my board range again.
Having said that, it really was the best board for 1-2 feet summer grovelling sessions that I've owned but it was just TOO specialized for the small bumpy stuff to use very often.
Gaz1799
Wednesday, 22 Feb 2017 at 03:41 pm
new
In better waves I've got a 6'4" at about 31 litres which I use for the bigger faster moving stuff
If i had the technical know-how i would have put him riding kylie minogue with a westend in one hand and a chiko roll in the other whilst home and away blares away in the background! Or a picture of julia gillard hanging out her explorer socks on a hills hoist in bunnings whilst tex walker watches feeding a pie with sauce to his pet John howard
talkingturkey
Thursday, 23 Feb 2017 at 02:27 pm
new
Could someone define what they mean by foil in a surfboard, please ?
I thought it referred to the tapering of foam from the stringer to the rails ie a rolled deck would be considered foiled ?
How embarrassing .
Here you go Blowin: https://www.swellnet.com/news/design-outline/2016/11/29/boarding-school…
Yeah cheers Craig.
I just reread this thread and was thrown by a comment from Freeride saying he liked his Indo boards " foiled out ".
I take this to mean thicker in the middle of the board and tapered towards each end ?
Isn't that standard in modern boards though ?
I'm 75 kg and I generally ride my boards just under 30 litres although my grov boards are around the 32 litre mark.
I rode a firewire baked potato for about 18 months and chuckled to myself when I read a few comments here earlier about the tail not holding in steeper waves and the foam allocation. The board I had was 5'3" x 21 1/2 x 2 3/8 & 32.4L with a big square wide ass on it that caught every bit of froth in shit conditions, was also an absolute missile but good luck catching anything with a face! The big tail sat on top of the face on the take off and often sent me ass over coight when a decent set rolled through. The foam allocation made it feel more like 5'10" to paddle but I don't think I'll ever go shorter than 5'6" in my board range again.
Having said that, it really was the best board for 1-2 feet summer grovelling sessions that I've owned but it was just TOO specialized for the small bumpy stuff to use very often.
In better waves I've got a 6'4" at about 31 litres which I use for the bigger faster moving stuff
Arse, Gaz, in Australia it's arse.
You on the East coast Gaz ?
Nah Adelaide area at the moment blowin
Gaz that was fair fuckin' dinkum.
If i had the technical know-how i would have put him riding kylie minogue with a westend in one hand and a chiko roll in the other whilst home and away blares away in the background! Or a picture of julia gillard hanging out her explorer socks on a hills hoist in bunnings whilst tex walker watches feeding a pie with sauce to his pet John howard
Quoit/Coit, Gazza, in Australia, it's Quoit/Coit!
https://ozwords.org/?p=4323
Squid pro ro Turkey, I reckon coight is still pretty Australian.
And then there's Kel Knight... Australia's favourite 'crafty butcher'.