Swell in Bass Strait

shaun started the topic in Wednesday, 25 Apr 2012 at 09:33 pm

Ok , all you weather experts, answer this question. Why does bass strait only get serious swells on the weekends? Should I just go out and get a real job? Will we ever get swell midweek?

southey Wednesday, 25 Apr 2012 at 10:34 pm new

There's set patterns /cycles that tend to follow for a few months . and they only slightly shift over a month . It takes a total change in patterns ( significant anomaly for them to reset or shuffle ) . Usually it will shift slightly shorter than a two week period .
Just don't ask me why and when they will shift ....
You won't like the answer . ( and i don't mean Centrelink is controlling it ) hahah

shaun Thursday, 26 Apr 2012 at 10:53 am new

Thanks Southy, it's a pity centrelink doesn't control it, because then i know I could get on some sort of scheme and manipulate it. With these weekend patterns I may as well get a job at centerelink , I miss having my midweek surfs with just a handfull instead of fighting for a carpark on a weekend. The solution of course is a month of solid swell.

Craig Thursday, 26 Apr 2012 at 11:14 am new

I remember when I was living back in SA and a full up Uni schedule meant I could only go on the weekends. There was a run there when every weekend for a couple of months was the same with small fun swells and offshores.

Another time later in Uni when I worked the schedule to score a free day or two, I remember going down nearly every Tuesday for a month scoring good swells and offshore winds.

It is as Southey said a pattern cycle thing, and if you live in SA during summer you'll notice there is a bout a week between cycles from full blown SE'lys to 2 days on NE winds and then back to the SE again. If it fits in your schedule it's great but if it doesn't it's hell!

Join the conversation Sign up for free OR Login