Get better surf forecasts and support an independent surf business. No ads. No corporate backing.
Swellnet is owned by surfers, not corporations. Subscribers keep our independent content, forecasts and surfcam network running - with no ads for anyone.
Paddling out longboarder on gloss blue 9 - or even 10ft board decided to kick out because they wouldnt make it near rock with a pretty crowded lineup as I was paddling out , i did an evasive last second duckdive to save my face getting caved in because i would never have expected what they were about to do.. Thing was the way they speared the board out forwards at maximum speed + who knows how long their leash was by the time it got to me as it stretched out in a very heavy section due to the way they speared it forwards so fast - like 15/20 foot long it seemed like?!
Means that I cant walk now for at least a week after a most epic session.. The nose of their board smashed my leg like a sledge hammer, i got the maximum impact i could have got in that situation I reckon. Im glad my femur feels in tact and i saved my face by about 1/3 of a second. 1 hour ice bath so far.
I am not out for vengeance, I'm out to make sure this doesnt happen to my kids that surf out there with the story of what not to do.
I highly regret not fully deep water bailing with hinesight, but you just dont expect that, I was sooo far way in relative terms when they kooked it.
Lessons: Don't spear your board forwards with a bunch of people on the inside, consider getting a shorter/less stretchy old leash, make the wave you go for - especially with people in front of you on inside (it was pretty varied set sizes), hold onto you board - why should someone else deal with the fact that you kooked it.
Epic smooth perfect waves, epic session but..
Paddling out longboarder on gloss blue 9 - or even 10ft board decided to kick out because they wouldnt make it near rock with a pretty crowded lineup as I was paddling out , i did an evasive last second duckdive to save my face getting caved in because i would never have expected what they were about to do.. Thing was the way they speared the board out forwards at maximum speed + who knows how long their leash was by the time it got to me as it stretched out in a very heavy section due to the way they speared it forwards so fast - like 15/20 foot long it seemed like?!
Means that I cant walk now for at least a week after a most epic session.. The nose of their board smashed my leg like a sledge hammer, i got the maximum impact i could have got in that situation I reckon. Im glad my femur feels in tact and i saved my face by about 1/3 of a second. 1 hour ice bath so far.
I am not out for vengeance, I'm out to make sure this doesnt happen to my kids that surf out there with the story of what not to do.
I highly regret not fully deep water bailing with hinesight, but you just dont expect that, I was sooo far way in relative terms when they kooked it.
Lessons: Don't spear your board forwards with a bunch of people on the inside, consider getting a shorter/less stretchy old leash, make the wave you go for - especially with people in front of you on inside (it was pretty varied set sizes), hold onto you board - why should someone else deal with the fact that you kooked it.
OMG it hurts, i cant walk. It will get better.