Get better surf forecasts and support an independent surf business. No ads. No corporate backing.
Swellnet is owned by surfers, not corporations. Subscribers keep our independent content, forecasts and surfcam network running - with no ads for anyone.
Any DS news? Freeride, curious to hear how your 6'6 has been going.
I took my 6'10 to the Mentawais, just in case. My board bag got stuck in Sydney airport for 4 days (fuquits), so only had it the last 6 days, but fuck did I enjoy it.
Cruised at 2ft Karangbat; got barrelled at 3ft EBay; powered through some solid 4-5ft Hideaways; got my best ever switchfoot wave at 6ft A Frames - felt like Gerry Lopez (maybe not).
Just had an epic surf at my local this arvo. Only 4-5ft, and the dreaded devil wind, but it handled it so well. It really is a smooth bastard.
Would love to try a slimmer, lighter DS.
freeride76
Monday, 20 May 2019 at 02:49 pm
new
I got it wet on Mothers Day during a half day swell in 4-5ft Point surf.
Webby describes his front rails as "cushioned" and that is exactly how it felt, from the first wave. I'd also add "sure-footed".
The rail length and quad set-up felt very, very smooth and sure.
Loved the little swallow. Very easy turning. Paddled, like every DS, like a barracuda.
It was a joy to surf and I would love to get another crack on it soon.
EA quad set-up with 3.75 rears.
Island Bay
Monday, 20 May 2019 at 02:50 pm
new
Nice one.
Sure is a plush ride, isn't it. Would love to ride my 6'10 on a windy day at your local.
freeride76
Monday, 20 May 2019 at 02:54 pm
new
Plush is exactly it.
This 6'6" I've got is pretty light, compared to my 7'6" and feels really easy to throw around.
Be first packed on the next trip OS.
cycd
Sunday, 16 Jun 2019 at 12:18 pm
new
Just received a new 7'9 DS with a few changes i wanted , got to use it during the extended period of south swell on the east coast recently... still very much a fan of the design, it almost feels like cheating. When i wear out my other mid 6 ft range bds i might have to try one in the 6'6 range
GuySmiley
Monday, 17 Jun 2019 at 10:11 pm
new
Camel’s new DS are now on Webster’s instagram account - bloody hell
New 7'9 - pulled in tail, lowered rails and concave through the fins running off the V. Had three surfs in double to triple'ish .... cant wait to test it properly.
Blowin
Wednesday, 19 Jun 2019 at 08:50 am
new
Looks unreal, Cycd.
Got to say , from descriptions , your quiver intrigues me more than most.
Let’s see a few more photos if you are keen.
cycd
Wednesday, 19 Jun 2019 at 09:29 am
new
OF the DS or the rest? .... its a large amount haha
udo
Wednesday, 19 Jun 2019 at 09:50 am
new
Looks nice Cycd got a Rocker pic of DS
Blowin
Wednesday, 19 Jun 2019 at 09:52 am
new
All of them !
Boards for good waves.
cycd
Wednesday, 19 Jun 2019 at 10:17 am
new
OF the DS or the rest? .... its a large amount haha
Blowin
Wednesday, 19 Jun 2019 at 10:37 am
new
Treat us to a lineup shot of your favourite tube shooters and good wave boards. As many as you can .
If you don’t mind.
freeride76
Wednesday, 19 Jun 2019 at 10:31 am
new
that DS look sweet as cycd.
cycd
Wednesday, 19 Jun 2019 at 03:30 pm
new
I'm away at work, so no can do out here at present ... I'll try when I get home. I would say though (in my humble opinion) that the DS, Byrning Spears deep six channels and Maurice's pro tow designs go the best in proper waves ... have a few of each and would recommend to anyone for sure.... should probably start a new thread though hey as this is not DS related?
Island Bay
Wednesday, 19 Jun 2019 at 03:09 pm
new
That looks insane, cycd! So clean.
What part of the world are you in?
I'm picking up my 7'6 Spartan next week. Will post pics.
Craig
Wednesday, 19 Jun 2019 at 04:08 pm
new
Looks very very nice!! Almost enough for me to get one...
One of the things I love about seeing all these Webster's go out is imagining all the average Joe's with regular jobs that are out there charging on 10 foot boards on the regular.
Island Bay
Tuesday, 17 Sep 2019 at 10:39 am
new
Agree with you Dan.
Those two are off to Bali, apparently. Conjures up sweet images, doesn't it?
Appreciate the heads up. My new 7’0” Desert Storm should be delivered early next week . Exactly the board I’ve been looking for. $500 including transport, only been ridden a few times.
Now if anyone is getting rid of a 6’2” Pyzel ghost .....
Island Bay
Wednesday, 18 Sep 2019 at 12:16 pm
new
Good taste - in surfboards ;-)
Let us know how she goes for you, Blowin. I've had 40-50 surfs on mine in just over a year. Yes, it's been an extraordinary winter here, but it's also much more versatile that I'd thought.
Bnkref
Wednesday, 18 Sep 2019 at 12:27 pm
new
Island Bay, what size is yours and what the smallest surf you'll take it out in?
Island Bay
Wednesday, 18 Sep 2019 at 12:32 pm
new
It's 6'10 x 19 3/4 x 3.
10ft faces is normally the minimum, but sometimes I ride it in 6-8ft faces when my local has bad devil winds. It's a superb chop buster.
stunet
Wednesday, 18 Sep 2019 at 12:34 pm
new
Really like the look of Webby's DS, even contemplated getting one a few times, though don't need it now as circumstances conspired to fill the 6'10" - 7'0" space in my rack.
Indulgent, I know, but the circumstances regarding acquisitions were more chance than design.
Island Bay
Wednesday, 18 Sep 2019 at 12:37 pm
new
Good looking boards, and a dog. Winner.
Blowin
Wednesday, 18 Sep 2019 at 12:57 pm
new
I’ve never laid eyes or hands on a DS.
It’s all about the concept, the volume, the durability and the recommendations.
That quiver is all time , Stu.
Bnkref
Wednesday, 18 Sep 2019 at 01:09 pm
new
Thanks Island Bay. Good to know. I was tossing up between a 6'10 DS and 7'2 Spartan recently when there was a sale on. Took too long thinking about it and missed out.
If anyone on here does have a Spartan, would be good to hear any feedback. Cheers.
Island Bay
Wednesday, 18 Sep 2019 at 01:15 pm
new
Welcome, Bnkref.
I have a 7'6 Spartan, but only have two days on it so far. There's a thread in here with a few pics. The Spartan is much slimmer; lower rails, narrower, more foiled. Hot as hell under the arm :-)
I got mine for bigger waves that require you to be more nimble. Better duck diving, easier to knife into pitching waves etc. And because I was curious.
freeride76
Wednesday, 18 Sep 2019 at 02:19 pm
new
I was surprised at how easily the DS concept translated down in size too.
I love my 6'6". It's got an enormous range.
stunet
Wednesday, 18 Sep 2019 at 02:25 pm
new
^^^ That was exactly my thinking with the Stretch's. The big one is 7'6" and I was shocked at how well it performed, it paddles as well as a circa-2000 9'0" gun I have, yet turns like something shorter.
I put those boards next to my old gun and the differences are stark. So much for the 'timeless' shape of guns.
The opportunity came to, as you say, translate the shape down and I jumped at a 6'10" - which is as small as the Buzz Gun would go.
dandandan
Wednesday, 18 Sep 2019 at 02:31 pm
new
Wow Stu - that's an impressive quiver. I didn't know you had an OI Flex!
Island Bay
Wednesday, 18 Sep 2019 at 02:37 pm
new
I love the look and idea of the Buzz Gun, Stu.
How was Stretch to deal with? I'm sorry to say it, but he's always come across as a bit of a rhymes-with-supertanker, but that's probably just me and an allergy to American bullshitters. Sorry. Hope I'm wrong.
lostdoggy
Wednesday, 18 Sep 2019 at 02:42 pm
new
Good job blowin.
Where are you going to take it so we can get a ride report?
stunet
Wednesday, 18 Sep 2019 at 02:45 pm
new
That was a present from Ben when my ten year anniversary at Swellnet rolled around. He knows I dont wear watches, leave alone gold ones.
"Go and see Mitchell," he said. And so I did.
I had a fantastic time dealing with Mr Rae. I'd just finished reading Murakami's latest book, 'Killing Commendatore', in which a middle-aged portrait painter struggles with his art and flops about gormlessly as Murakami's protagonists always do. The painter says how he must converse with the subject to understand what makes them tick before he can capture their soul in acrylic, and over a few phone conversations it felt like Mitchell was doing that too.
Waited a few months before the board was ready. It arrived along with a letterhead with words written in ornate calligraphy. Lovely penned letter that ended with:
"I recommend you burn a stick of incense, say a few sacred words at the water's edge to christen her.
Cheers,
Mitchell"
It's been a few months and I still can't bear the thought of defacing her with wax.
stunet
Wednesday, 18 Sep 2019 at 02:46 pm
new
How's your OI, Dan? Ridden it much?
stunet
Wednesday, 18 Sep 2019 at 02:47 pm
new
Ha ha ha...@IB.
Love how you didn't just say 'tanker', but 'supertanker'.
Gotta pick up kids, reply soon.
lostdoggy
Wednesday, 18 Sep 2019 at 02:51 pm
new
That red on the OI is pretty damn close to the Stretches'. Especially the big one.
Hi kavachi,
I have used the EA quads in SWWA, NWWA, southern Aus & indo etc etc and they have been a very good set up with the DS IMO.
https://futuresfins.com.au/surfboard-fins/ea-hawaii-quad.html
Any DS news? Freeride, curious to hear how your 6'6 has been going.
I took my 6'10 to the Mentawais, just in case. My board bag got stuck in Sydney airport for 4 days (fuquits), so only had it the last 6 days, but fuck did I enjoy it.
Cruised at 2ft Karangbat; got barrelled at 3ft EBay; powered through some solid 4-5ft Hideaways; got my best ever switchfoot wave at 6ft A Frames - felt like Gerry Lopez (maybe not).
Just had an epic surf at my local this arvo. Only 4-5ft, and the dreaded devil wind, but it handled it so well. It really is a smooth bastard.
Would love to try a slimmer, lighter DS.
I got it wet on Mothers Day during a half day swell in 4-5ft Point surf.
Webby describes his front rails as "cushioned" and that is exactly how it felt, from the first wave. I'd also add "sure-footed".
The rail length and quad set-up felt very, very smooth and sure.
Loved the little swallow. Very easy turning. Paddled, like every DS, like a barracuda.
It was a joy to surf and I would love to get another crack on it soon.
EA quad set-up with 3.75 rears.
Nice one.
Sure is a plush ride, isn't it. Would love to ride my 6'10 on a windy day at your local.
Plush is exactly it.
This 6'6" I've got is pretty light, compared to my 7'6" and feels really easy to throw around.
Be first packed on the next trip OS.
Just received a new 7'9 DS with a few changes i wanted , got to use it during the extended period of south swell on the east coast recently... still very much a fan of the design, it almost feels like cheating. When i wear out my other mid 6 ft range bds i might have to try one in the 6'6 range
Camel’s new DS are now on Webster’s instagram account - bloody hell
Very nice..
Love those noses, they look heaps better than the standard point!
what imaging platform are you guys using to upload pics? photobucket appears to not be free anymore?
ImgBB
Looking forward to seeing your boards.
IMGUR
https://imgur.com/a/Y8b35Zx
New 7'9 - pulled in tail, lowered rails and concave through the fins running off the V. Had three surfs in double to triple'ish .... cant wait to test it properly.
Looks unreal, Cycd.
Got to say , from descriptions , your quiver intrigues me more than most.
Let’s see a few more photos if you are keen.
OF the DS or the rest? .... its a large amount haha
Looks nice Cycd got a Rocker pic of DS
All of them !
Boards for good waves.
OF the DS or the rest? .... its a large amount haha
Treat us to a lineup shot of your favourite tube shooters and good wave boards. As many as you can .
If you don’t mind.
that DS look sweet as cycd.
I'm away at work, so no can do out here at present ... I'll try when I get home. I would say though (in my humble opinion) that the DS, Byrning Spears deep six channels and Maurice's pro tow designs go the best in proper waves ... have a few of each and would recommend to anyone for sure.... should probably start a new thread though hey as this is not DS related?
That looks insane, cycd! So clean.
What part of the world are you in?
I'm picking up my 7'6 Spartan next week. Will post pics.
Looks very very nice!! Almost enough for me to get one...
Jeez Craig what more do you need to see! Ha
Ha
Ha, nothing really more ;p
Mmmm, tasty...
<script async src="//www.instagram.com/embed.js"></script>
One of the things I love about seeing all these Webster's go out is imagining all the average Joe's with regular jobs that are out there charging on 10 foot boards on the regular.
Agree with you Dan.
Those two are off to Bali, apparently. Conjures up sweet images, doesn't it?
Cheap 7’0 on gumtree
Whereabouts mate ?
Can’t seem to locate it.
7' 0 webster 5 fin on Gumtree https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1228656875?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&ut…
Nice work , Lostdoggy.
Appreciate the heads up. My new 7’0” Desert Storm should be delivered early next week . Exactly the board I’ve been looking for. $500 including transport, only been ridden a few times.
Now if anyone is getting rid of a 6’2” Pyzel ghost .....
Good taste - in surfboards ;-)
Let us know how she goes for you, Blowin. I've had 40-50 surfs on mine in just over a year. Yes, it's been an extraordinary winter here, but it's also much more versatile that I'd thought.
Island Bay, what size is yours and what the smallest surf you'll take it out in?
It's 6'10 x 19 3/4 x 3.
10ft faces is normally the minimum, but sometimes I ride it in 6-8ft faces when my local has bad devil winds. It's a superb chop buster.
Really like the look of Webby's DS, even contemplated getting one a few times, though don't need it now as circumstances conspired to fill the 6'10" - 7'0" space in my rack.
Good looking boards, and a dog. Winner.
I’ve never laid eyes or hands on a DS.
It’s all about the concept, the volume, the durability and the recommendations.
That quiver is all time , Stu.
Thanks Island Bay. Good to know. I was tossing up between a 6'10 DS and 7'2 Spartan recently when there was a sale on. Took too long thinking about it and missed out.
If anyone on here does have a Spartan, would be good to hear any feedback. Cheers.
Welcome, Bnkref.
I have a 7'6 Spartan, but only have two days on it so far. There's a thread in here with a few pics. The Spartan is much slimmer; lower rails, narrower, more foiled. Hot as hell under the arm :-)
I got mine for bigger waves that require you to be more nimble. Better duck diving, easier to knife into pitching waves etc. And because I was curious.
I was surprised at how easily the DS concept translated down in size too.
I love my 6'6". It's got an enormous range.
^^^ That was exactly my thinking with the Stretch's. The big one is 7'6" and I was shocked at how well it performed, it paddles as well as a circa-2000 9'0" gun I have, yet turns like something shorter.
I put those boards next to my old gun and the differences are stark. So much for the 'timeless' shape of guns.
The opportunity came to, as you say, translate the shape down and I jumped at a 6'10" - which is as small as the Buzz Gun would go.
Wow Stu - that's an impressive quiver. I didn't know you had an OI Flex!
I love the look and idea of the Buzz Gun, Stu.
How was Stretch to deal with? I'm sorry to say it, but he's always come across as a bit of a rhymes-with-supertanker, but that's probably just me and an allergy to American bullshitters. Sorry. Hope I'm wrong.
Good job blowin.
Where are you going to take it so we can get a ride report?
That was a present from Ben when my ten year anniversary at Swellnet rolled around. He knows I dont wear watches, leave alone gold ones.
"Go and see Mitchell," he said. And so I did.
I had a fantastic time dealing with Mr Rae. I'd just finished reading Murakami's latest book, 'Killing Commendatore', in which a middle-aged portrait painter struggles with his art and flops about gormlessly as Murakami's protagonists always do. The painter says how he must converse with the subject to understand what makes them tick before he can capture their soul in acrylic, and over a few phone conversations it felt like Mitchell was doing that too.
Waited a few months before the board was ready. It arrived along with a letterhead with words written in ornate calligraphy. Lovely penned letter that ended with:
"I recommend you burn a stick of incense, say a few sacred words at the water's edge to christen her.
Cheers,
Mitchell"
It's been a few months and I still can't bear the thought of defacing her with wax.
How's your OI, Dan? Ridden it much?
Ha ha ha...@IB.
Love how you didn't just say 'tanker', but 'supertanker'.
Gotta pick up kids, reply soon.
That red on the OI is pretty damn close to the Stretches'. Especially the big one.