Get better surf forecasts and support an independent surf business. No ads. No corporate backing.
Swellnet is owned by surfers, not corporations. Subscribers keep our independent content, forecasts and surfcam network running - with no ads for anyone.
hahahaha, same with my edge from nose to tail deep concave MC Protow.
fucking love the way that board feels like on a ribbed overhead point wave.
Island Bay
Sunday, 5 Jul 2020 at 06:57 am
new
I was thinking of my old Protow as i wrote that, FR. Similar type of board in that they are both highly refined, with no features to make them forgiving or easy to surf. All hard edges, radically folied etc. Nick C said his Protow was "toey", as I remember it. Not a bad way to describe it.
Ironically, my Reef Swallow had been sitting unridden in my garage for 6 months. I was tense - mentally and physically - felt that I couldn't paddle or surf, and the board was mildly intimidating.
Finally surfed it for four glorious days of pumping swell, and it lifted my game like crazy. Forever grateful.
Don't be afraid of High Performance :-)
zenagain
Sunday, 5 Jul 2020 at 10:55 am
new
I've got a 6'5" Prowtow and once the surf gets overhead and has a bit of oomph to it, it comes into its own. Taking the high speed high-line is a joy.
I'm not good at articulating how the different design features work, all I do know that on this particular stick all those features come together and I'm riding something special.
zenagain
Sunday, 5 Jul 2020 at 10:58 am
new
ps- i have to admit, it's not a particularly forgiving board. You gotta hit that sweet spot.
goofyfoot
Sunday, 5 Jul 2020 at 11:35 am
new
Just spent a very very hungover couple of hours reading every post in this thread. Got to be one of swellnets best.
6'4 x 193/4 x 23/4 Desert Storm- 38 litres only ridden a handfull of times
$400 ono
Facey marketplace Ballina area
mikehunt207
Saturday, 11 Jul 2020 at 10:19 pm
new
whats the link for that one Udo?
udo
Sunday, 12 Jul 2020 at 08:36 am
new
Facebook marketplace Ballina area
lostdoggy
Sunday, 12 Jul 2020 at 08:38 am
new
Never request links from udo, you didn’t know that yet?
T.Edds
Sunday, 12 Jul 2020 at 09:00 am
new
I purchased a stock Desert Storm (6’7’’x20x3) about two months ago. It is one of the most sensible boards I have ever owner. As has already been described it is immensely reliable and functional. The vee encourages the surfer to tap into the power points along the wave and make adjustments accordingly. It feels like it smooths everything out. Best of all The board does not feel sticky in top part of the wave and allows the rider to traverse a more horizontal line into the next section. I believe the planning surfaces of the panel vee allow the board to run rather than relying on heavy rider input.
I am interested in extending the hard edge in the rail to about 1/3 the boards total length. If Camel has played around with this much I would be very interested to hear his take.
Much appreciation to both Wayne Webster and Camel for developing such a fantastic board and being so generous with their information.
So I bought an as new 6'10 DS back in early April here in Vicco. Was waiting for a solid reef day to debut it, but it was a lacklustre winter here without the usual bigger swells and then lockdown hit so have been confined to Melbourne and surrounds.
I knew there'd be a chance of a small bay wave today, and I went down to the closest spot (not as exposed as some). First surf for close to two months. It was about knee high on the bombs. Not how I planned on christening the board, but good fun all the same after being out of the water so long!
GuySmiley
Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 05:47 pm
new
Bnkref cleansed none the less, good one ......
Webby having a sale of 2nd hand boards inc some small DSs.
Michael Bourne
Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 05:50 pm
new
Wait till they hit (literally) the wave pools!!!!???? Yiiiipes!!!
Michael Bourne
Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 06:03 pm
new
Hey all, just looking for a bit of an update on what fins everyone is using? Glass ? honeycomb? Alpha? I am about to pull the trigger on a board and obviously I'll have a chat with the shaper on his thoughts but just wondering what is working for guys riding them. Also curious about volume differences....I am looking at the 6'10 or 7'0 and the there are two standard dimensions each with 5 litres difference...how different will 5 litres make this model feel in the water?
kooklife
Monday, 28 Sep 2020 at 12:07 pm
new
bump
Island Bay
Monday, 28 Sep 2020 at 01:11 pm
new
Kook, I'd go slimmer on the shorter DSs. My 6'10 is 19 3/4 x 3" (43L), and I'd rather have 2L less than more.
Re fins, I've been using FCS2 Accelerator fronts and small Shapers rear. Went really well.
But then I bought a set of Captain Fins McCallum quads. All 4 fins the same size (4") and all flat foil. Best yet, by far.
They come in both FCS and Futures. (Do yourself a favour and take some 180grit paper to the tips - they're very sharp)
kooklife
Tuesday, 29 Sep 2020 at 11:31 am
new
Yeah that's the board I was looking at IB. My everyday boards are around 36-38L though ( i am 93kg) so i might be better off going the next one which is 48L just for that extra bit of foam? I always give the fins a rub too for safety
But it says Fcs on the ebay description and if you zoom in on the plugs they say fcs on them..
lostdoggy
Tuesday, 6 Oct 2020 at 07:53 pm
new
Fcs fusion is made for fcs one fins but made in the peanut style inserts like fcs two.
Less likely to pop out than fcs one plugs.
goofyfoot
Tuesday, 6 Oct 2020 at 07:55 pm
new
Ahh thanks for clearing that up ld
lostdoggy
Tuesday, 6 Oct 2020 at 07:56 pm
new
It’s the same guy blowin bought his desert storm off so might be able to get contact details off him and skip eBay fees.
I’ve bought fins off him before but must’ve deleted the text conversation.
goofyfoot
Tuesday, 6 Oct 2020 at 08:13 pm
new
Thanks ld but I'm not in the market for a new one at the moment, nice looking stick though
udo
Friday, 16 Oct 2020 at 07:04 pm
new
7.6 DS on ebay didnt sell
im hearing you may get it for same price or a touch more than your 7.0 blowin.
iisaacsmithh
Saturday, 24 Oct 2020 at 04:34 pm
new
Like to know these.
Creates quality, Island custom Surfboards Australia that can be Customised with any design to share and showcase the love we have for surfing.
goofyfoot
Saturday, 24 Oct 2020 at 04:48 pm
new
Wrong thread man
Fliplid
Saturday, 24 Oct 2020 at 05:14 pm
new
wrong thread? more like wrong industry, more suited to wall hangings than surfboards
udo
Saturday, 24 Oct 2020 at 05:16 pm
new
Owned by Cronulla surfer.
Fliplid
Saturday, 24 Oct 2020 at 05:24 pm
new
Seems a weird concept where the graphics are more important than the board, but then again to some I guess that is the most important thing
Island Bay
Saturday, 24 Oct 2020 at 06:59 pm
new
Udo, mine is still sitting in Webby's storeroom. Keep thinking the trans-Tasman bubble is going to be a thing, and then it goes down in flames again.
I may have to look into shipping, just so as not to be a pain in the arse - and to get my board.
Spuddups
Sunday, 25 Oct 2020 at 11:06 am
new
Fark yeah, let’s get this Tasman travel bubble happening. I’m hanging out for it. Hopefully it’ll be a thing by the time the winter comes round. Hoping to get two weeks on The Tweed if I can convince the wife. Haha!
soggydog
Sunday, 25 Oct 2020 at 11:14 pm
new
As long as you bubble heads stay the fuck out of WA., do what you want.
Jamyardy
Monday, 26 Oct 2020 at 12:40 am
new
Radio said a couple of weeks ago trans Tasman bubble to open for NZ between NSW and N.T. Is that closed already IB ?. They mentioned over here 23 NZ arrivals made their way to WA and have to quarantine for 14 days over here.
Island Bay
Monday, 26 Oct 2020 at 05:11 am
new
Jam, we can travel to NSW, but still have to go into managed quarantine for two weeks when returning to NZ. At $3000+.
Jamyardy
Monday, 26 Oct 2020 at 12:03 pm
new
No worries, Cheers IB. Expensive little holiday if that is what it is for some, I suspect most would cross the Tasman for long term stays. Just like Covid itself, I wonder if the 2 week quarantine is going to be here to stay for certain countries/states ... I imagine a successful vaccine will determine that outcome for some.
seaslug
Monday, 2 Nov 2020 at 06:51 pm
new
Two new DS, 6'6 and 6'10, due to arrive soon with Futures set up. I already have EA Future Thruster Honeycomb (not sure if you can buy these anymore in honeycomb construction) and read on this forum DS go well with EA Quad set up (control series?). Any recommendations on thruster and quad set ups? All suggestions welcome.
freeride76
Monday, 2 Nov 2020 at 07:41 pm
new
haven't got much to offer Seaslug.
glass EA quad sets.
play around with the rears in terms of size was the recommendation from Camel.
seaslug
Monday, 2 Nov 2020 at 09:00 pm
new
Cheers FR
kooklife
Monday, 2 Nov 2020 at 10:00 pm
new
I just picked up a custom DS step up today and can I just say what a pleasure Wayne was through the process.....and the board looks SICK!!!!! Seaslug, I also asked him about fins ....I also have the Futures EA quad set (fibreglass) and he said that the rears in this set have a flat foil and he prefers rear fins in this model that have some foil ...The set will still work as it is though.....send him a message or call him and I am sure he will explain it to you better than I can.
Ultimately though, if you can try a few sets out in similar conditions you may find something that works for you.
Island Bay
Tuesday, 3 Nov 2020 at 09:18 am
new
Most quad sets for bigger waves have flat-foil rear fins.
This is what I've found on my DS fin travels:
- Don't go too rakey on the front fins. FCS2 Accelerator fronts with small Shapers 80/20 foil rears was good.
- Even better (and this setup works excellently on my 7'6 Spartan too) is Captain Fin McCallum quads. All fins same size, all flat.
- NVS make a nice looking set in G-10 material called Bronn Quad. Would like to try those.
But yeah, can't go wrong with EA fibreglass quads.
hahahaha, same with my edge from nose to tail deep concave MC Protow.
fucking love the way that board feels like on a ribbed overhead point wave.
I was thinking of my old Protow as i wrote that, FR. Similar type of board in that they are both highly refined, with no features to make them forgiving or easy to surf. All hard edges, radically folied etc. Nick C said his Protow was "toey", as I remember it. Not a bad way to describe it.
Ironically, my Reef Swallow had been sitting unridden in my garage for 6 months. I was tense - mentally and physically - felt that I couldn't paddle or surf, and the board was mildly intimidating.
Finally surfed it for four glorious days of pumping swell, and it lifted my game like crazy. Forever grateful.
Don't be afraid of High Performance :-)
I've got a 6'5" Prowtow and once the surf gets overhead and has a bit of oomph to it, it comes into its own. Taking the high speed high-line is a joy.
I'm not good at articulating how the different design features work, all I do know that on this particular stick all those features come together and I'm riding something special.
ps- i have to admit, it's not a particularly forgiving board. You gotta hit that sweet spot.
Just spent a very very hungover couple of hours reading every post in this thread. Got to be one of swellnets best.
Anyone want a 8’2 DS with glass on single fin?
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gilston/surfing/8ft-2-single-fin-surfbo…
22 1/2 wide ?
6'4 x 193/4 x 23/4 Desert Storm- 38 litres only ridden a handfull of times
$400 ono
Facey marketplace Ballina area
whats the link for that one Udo?
Facebook marketplace Ballina area
Never request links from udo, you didn’t know that yet?
I purchased a stock Desert Storm (6’7’’x20x3) about two months ago. It is one of the most sensible boards I have ever owner. As has already been described it is immensely reliable and functional. The vee encourages the surfer to tap into the power points along the wave and make adjustments accordingly. It feels like it smooths everything out. Best of all The board does not feel sticky in top part of the wave and allows the rider to traverse a more horizontal line into the next section. I believe the planning surfaces of the panel vee allow the board to run rather than relying on heavy rider input.
I am interested in extending the hard edge in the rail to about 1/3 the boards total length. If Camel has played around with this much I would be very interested to hear his take.
Much appreciation to both Wayne Webster and Camel for developing such a fantastic board and being so generous with their information.
A custom DS a tad wider through the nose
https://www.picuki.com/media/2404115965368291920
eBay 7’6” shipping possible $650
WoW....faaark
https://www.picuki.com/media/2405492605960593284
So I bought an as new 6'10 DS back in early April here in Vicco. Was waiting for a solid reef day to debut it, but it was a lacklustre winter here without the usual bigger swells and then lockdown hit so have been confined to Melbourne and surrounds.
I knew there'd be a chance of a small bay wave today, and I went down to the closest spot (not as exposed as some). First surf for close to two months. It was about knee high on the bombs. Not how I planned on christening the board, but good fun all the same after being out of the water so long!
Bnkref cleansed none the less, good one ......
Webby having a sale of 2nd hand boards inc some small DSs.
Wait till they hit (literally) the wave pools!!!!???? Yiiiipes!!!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Go goofer!!!!??? Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiipes!!!
Hey all, just looking for a bit of an update on what fins everyone is using? Glass ? honeycomb? Alpha? I am about to pull the trigger on a board and obviously I'll have a chat with the shaper on his thoughts but just wondering what is working for guys riding them. Also curious about volume differences....I am looking at the 6'10 or 7'0 and the there are two standard dimensions each with 5 litres difference...how different will 5 litres make this model feel in the water?
bump
Kook, I'd go slimmer on the shorter DSs. My 6'10 is 19 3/4 x 3" (43L), and I'd rather have 2L less than more.
Re fins, I've been using FCS2 Accelerator fronts and small Shapers rear. Went really well.
But then I bought a set of Captain Fins McCallum quads. All 4 fins the same size (4") and all flat foil. Best yet, by far.
They come in both FCS and Futures. (Do yourself a favour and take some 180grit paper to the tips - they're very sharp)
Yeah that's the board I was looking at IB. My everyday boards are around 36-38L though ( i am 93kg) so i might be better off going the next one which is 48L just for that extra bit of foam? I always give the fins a rub too for safety
Ebay 7'6" relisted - $620...no bids as yet
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/webster-76-excellent-condition/203120731576…
Relisted - starting @ $580
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/webster-76-excellent-condition/203127741636…
Fcs 1 plugs?
No - Fusion.
Not familiar with Fusion. I'll check them out.
But it says Fcs on the ebay description and if you zoom in on the plugs they say fcs on them..
Fcs fusion is made for fcs one fins but made in the peanut style inserts like fcs two.
Less likely to pop out than fcs one plugs.
Ahh thanks for clearing that up ld
It’s the same guy blowin bought his desert storm off so might be able to get contact details off him and skip eBay fees.
I’ve bought fins off him before but must’ve deleted the text conversation.
Thanks ld but I'm not in the market for a new one at the moment, nice looking stick though
7.6 DS on ebay didnt sell
im hearing you may get it for same price or a touch more than your 7.0 blowin.
I.B. some new foam travelled across the ditch
is one of these yours ?
https://www.picuki.com/media/2420998847906964701
Like to know these.
Creates quality, Island custom Surfboards Australia that can be Customised with any design to share and showcase the love we have for surfing.
Wrong thread man
wrong thread? more like wrong industry, more suited to wall hangings than surfboards
Owned by Cronulla surfer.
Seems a weird concept where the graphics are more important than the board, but then again to some I guess that is the most important thing
Udo, mine is still sitting in Webby's storeroom. Keep thinking the trans-Tasman bubble is going to be a thing, and then it goes down in flames again.
I may have to look into shipping, just so as not to be a pain in the arse - and to get my board.
Fark yeah, let’s get this Tasman travel bubble happening. I’m hanging out for it. Hopefully it’ll be a thing by the time the winter comes round. Hoping to get two weeks on The Tweed if I can convince the wife. Haha!
As long as you bubble heads stay the fuck out of WA., do what you want.
Radio said a couple of weeks ago trans Tasman bubble to open for NZ between NSW and N.T. Is that closed already IB ?. They mentioned over here 23 NZ arrivals made their way to WA and have to quarantine for 14 days over here.
Jam, we can travel to NSW, but still have to go into managed quarantine for two weeks when returning to NZ. At $3000+.
No worries, Cheers IB. Expensive little holiday if that is what it is for some, I suspect most would cross the Tasman for long term stays. Just like Covid itself, I wonder if the 2 week quarantine is going to be here to stay for certain countries/states ... I imagine a successful vaccine will determine that outcome for some.
Two new DS, 6'6 and 6'10, due to arrive soon with Futures set up. I already have EA Future Thruster Honeycomb (not sure if you can buy these anymore in honeycomb construction) and read on this forum DS go well with EA Quad set up (control series?). Any recommendations on thruster and quad set ups? All suggestions welcome.
haven't got much to offer Seaslug.
glass EA quad sets.
play around with the rears in terms of size was the recommendation from Camel.
Cheers FR
I just picked up a custom DS step up today and can I just say what a pleasure Wayne was through the process.....and the board looks SICK!!!!! Seaslug, I also asked him about fins ....I also have the Futures EA quad set (fibreglass) and he said that the rears in this set have a flat foil and he prefers rear fins in this model that have some foil ...The set will still work as it is though.....send him a message or call him and I am sure he will explain it to you better than I can.
Ultimately though, if you can try a few sets out in similar conditions you may find something that works for you.
Most quad sets for bigger waves have flat-foil rear fins.
This is what I've found on my DS fin travels:
- Don't go too rakey on the front fins. FCS2 Accelerator fronts with small Shapers 80/20 foil rears was good.
- Even better (and this setup works excellently on my 7'6 Spartan too) is Captain Fin McCallum quads. All fins same size, all flat.
- NVS make a nice looking set in G-10 material called Bronn Quad. Would like to try those.
But yeah, can't go wrong with EA fibreglass quads.