Get better surf forecasts and support an independent surf business. No ads. No corporate backing.
Swellnet is owned by surfers, not corporations. Subscribers keep our independent content, forecasts and surfcam network running - with no ads for anyone.
Yours are 4.0 , try 3.75 fr , we've been over this topic before but you said you didn't have the money for fins at the time
penmister
Thursday, 11 Aug 2016 at 12:52 am
new
Web is the man....we talked and got the ds to a 6.3 thruster,im loving the v through the board...
With just medium fins not sure the measures...you could probably give it more rocker and thin it out more..
goofyfoot
Thursday, 11 Aug 2016 at 06:14 am
new
Then you'd be kinda moving away from the whole point of the DS in the first place wouldn't you?
udo
Thursday, 11 Aug 2016 at 07:31 am
new
A DS shrunk down to a 6'3 ?
fuck that must look ugly ..what the literage penmister ?
lostdoggy
Thursday, 11 Aug 2016 at 08:47 am
new
Gee camel, that new board of yours is so long it doesn't even look wide anymore.
penmister
Thursday, 11 Aug 2016 at 09:50 am
new
Maybe gf, but im not surfing waves like camel is.(would love too)
But from surfing on the 7.0 ds in smaller surf it just felt i could go shorter and help save face planting and seeing stars...
It just looks like a normal 6.3 udo,37L..easy paddling and good under the feet..helps sit abit past the crowd in any conditions.
caml
Thursday, 11 Aug 2016 at 10:11 am
new
Yeah theres a picture of a 10"5 on instagram ldoggy . 97 litres I think, we refined it from 99 was the mach1 2 yrs ago .
Island Bay
Thursday, 11 Aug 2016 at 03:00 pm
new
Hey Goofyfoot
No, I didn't get one. Too many injuries this autumn and winter, so my big wave dreams are on the back burner for a while. Seeing Drodders' new whip made me all hot under the collar, though!
I was at Lennox for the Black NE swell, and should have gone to see Webby. Next time...
goofyfoot
Friday, 12 Aug 2016 at 06:26 am
new
Oh well never mind, it's something to look forward too then!
simba
Friday, 12 Aug 2016 at 04:07 pm
new
Penmister any chance of post a photo of the 6-3?
penmister
Friday, 12 Aug 2016 at 08:41 pm
new
Its in imgur somewhere simba...Maybe someone can help make it to swellnet..sorry. .
lostdoggy
Wednesday, 14 Sep 2016 at 02:29 pm
new
Hi Caml,
What can you tell us about the ryan lovelace big wave board?
Thanks for the link I hadn't seen that , should we starta thread for edge boards ?
penmister
Wednesday, 28 Sep 2016 at 07:55 pm
new
Forsure it looks interesting....
drodders
Thursday, 27 Jul 2017 at 12:17 pm
new
Has anyone tried Webby’s 6’4 to 7”0 fat DS range, like the look of the 6’8 or 6’10 as a travel board, packing a lot of board into a smallish package, do they work from 4-10ft?
Clam
Thursday, 27 Jul 2017 at 10:41 pm
new
Drodders , theres two guys with 6"4 DS that have great success ive seen and heard . They rated the 6"4 highly , not sure what finsetup either quad or tri probably.
udo
Friday, 28 Jul 2017 at 04:55 pm
new
Fraser G can you post some pics of your D.S .
Island Bay
Saturday, 29 Jul 2017 at 08:44 am
new
I'm interested in a 6'4, and it would be great to hear some first hand info on how they go. Btw, are the short DS still glassed heavily?
fraser-gordon
Saturday, 29 Jul 2017 at 09:33 am
new
Not on hand but have a picture of the most expensive board I had the pleasure of buying.https://imgur.com/a/jCcwG
udo
Saturday, 29 Jul 2017 at 09:50 am
new
So much for the "Special Glassing Technique"
Island Bay i think Webbies glassing is custom
Very nice ...do you take it to your favourite Javanese lefthander ?
fraser-gordon
Monday, 31 Jul 2017 at 06:35 pm
new
Hasn't had a Jersey yet. If you had to only take one board anywhere on a surf trip that would be the one. Huge range from small grovel to very solid wave's and it feel's good in the tube.
udo
Wednesday, 23 Aug 2017 at 11:28 am
new
Here you go The - Camel have a read of this.
Clam
Wednesday, 23 Aug 2017 at 03:36 pm
new
Udo , do you think T-C would like a DS with a single fin ?
Good picture and ratings of the DS Fraser Gordon. Looks good to me
cycd
Saturday, 17 Mar 2018 at 08:52 pm
new
Just surfed a new custom (with some leaned out foam around tail, rails and nose) DS in TC Linda at a solid sand bottom point break..... I'm calling 8/10 for the DS first surf in challenging dredgy sand bottom QLD point breaks that I'm not used to surfing ... it worked so well I'm completely sold on the design from 6+
udo
Saturday, 17 Mar 2018 at 08:54 pm
new
cycd board dimensions ?
cycd
Saturday, 17 Mar 2018 at 09:00 pm
new
6'11 x 20 1/8 x 3 1/4
udo
Saturday, 17 Mar 2018 at 09:06 pm
new
So about 50 litres
Quad or thruster or plugged for both...?
cycd
Saturday, 17 Mar 2018 at 09:24 pm
new
I only really surf a DS as a quad. EA futures ( the black glass fins) ... pretty much only set up I feel good riding backhand with quads in waves of consequence.... and under 50 litres ... about 47-48 from memory
Island Bay
Sunday, 18 Mar 2018 at 06:46 am
new
cycd, did you have Webby thin out the areas mentioned more than on the standard design? Did it hold ok even with all the volume?
GuySmiley
Sunday, 18 Mar 2018 at 08:25 am
new
DS now come with a quad / 2+1 fin set option ....
udo
Sunday, 18 Mar 2018 at 08:28 am
new
Yep saw that.
Clam
Sunday, 18 Mar 2018 at 06:43 pm
new
Only if you ask nicely for it obviously,
you can even have two leash plugs ;)
Hi Cycd , good to hear that it felt so good . i think even better is dual foiled fins in the rears . The ea has a flat on the inside of rear fins and the feeling can get better i reckon . Get a set of foiled rears (a bit smaller) and try for a bit freer feeling
cycd
Sunday, 18 Mar 2018 at 06:02 pm
new
Yes to all questions island
cycd
Sunday, 18 Mar 2018 at 06:05 pm
new
Will play around with this clam... I run with foiled rears in my deep six channels (AB2's) .... worked a treat in that point surf just posted on swell net :)
udo
Sunday, 18 Mar 2018 at 06:25 pm
new
You on biggest board out there ?
Clam
Sunday, 18 Mar 2018 at 10:59 pm
new
If you thin out the areas where its thick then it won't be a "desertstorm" anymore.
The design is based around the thickness.
Think body board design,
One inch is a big factor lengthwise.
Thickness is stable from front to tail,
Its blunt at each end , blocky but purposeful.
The part of the design that should be experimented further is rail profile. Think vacuum rail.
So if you want less board, you dont thin it out, you cut length off :) leave the thickness all the way. Its part of the design .
Changing the swing weight in the nose is an easy fix with glassing...snip snip
cycd
Monday, 19 Mar 2018 at 08:04 am
new
Thats the beauty of an individual custom... you get what you want. I will be reordering based off the improvements I have made for my own personal board/s.
Funny you mentioned swing weight... that was a big part of the reason for foam shift to surf places up north where you pull straight in... looking forward to it this winter :)
drodders
Monday, 26 Mar 2018 at 01:32 pm
new
Hey Guy and Udo, I got the blue tinted quad / single in a 6’10 20 ½ by 3 DS that is on Webby’s instagram 1/3/2018, to go with my 7’6 DS.
Have only ridden it from 3-5ft so far, as a 2+1 with the single way forward in the box, has really made it a loose fast board in small waves. I ordered this set up so I could extend the wave size range down it has really worked. It was actually a bit too loose even in 5ft waves, very easy to adjust.
I have dropped a quad set in it now, fingers crossed for swell.
stunet
Monday, 26 Mar 2018 at 01:51 pm
new
Beautiful board Drodders, and a versatile one too with that fin box configuration. Good thinking.
On a semi-related note: Webby's logo overhaul is fantastic. Hats off to the designer and Webby too for signing it off. The best logos are the simple ones.
udo
Monday, 26 Mar 2018 at 02:36 pm
new
Nice Drodders .
Puddle jumper Duo...got some pics and a ride report ?
EDIT: you sold PJ Duo on gumtree recently.
GuySmiley
Monday, 26 Mar 2018 at 02:32 pm
new
good work Drodders, would be very interested to know the fin brand and size of the fins for the 2+1 set up. when I first saw the insta pic on webber's account I thought that centre fin might be around 8", it also has plenty of rake on it. Looked a great combo. Agree with your comments on the logo stu.
drodders
Monday, 26 Mar 2018 at 02:55 pm
new
Hi Guy, Farrelly fin 8”, side bites are shapers 3.5 inch 50/50 foil, very low drag. I have a couple of other single fins to try, shorter with less rake and more depth at the base, but I did like how this rode, very surprised with how loose it was, and that it worked in waist height waves as well. It is also surprising how much fun a 6’10 is in little waves…I’m probably not the person to judge though I have fun on all sorts of inappropriate stuff in the surf.
I am keen now to try it in some juice as a quad, going to Fiji in July, depending on the forecast it may be a one board quiver, just with several sets of fins.
Clam
Monday, 26 Mar 2018 at 03:10 pm
new
1 plus two sounds good on a Desert storm
Island Bay
Monday, 26 Mar 2018 at 04:51 pm
new
That board looks and sounds sweet, Drodders. Please keep us up to date on your fin experiments.
It's getting harder and harder to resist ordering a DS. And Stu, you're right about the new graphics.
Yours are 4.0 , try 3.75 fr , we've been over this topic before but you said you didn't have the money for fins at the time
Web is the man....we talked and got the ds to a 6.3 thruster,im loving the v through the board...
With just medium fins not sure the measures...you could probably give it more rocker and thin it out more..
Then you'd be kinda moving away from the whole point of the DS in the first place wouldn't you?
A DS shrunk down to a 6'3 ?
fuck that must look ugly ..what the literage penmister ?
Gee camel, that new board of yours is so long it doesn't even look wide anymore.
Maybe gf, but im not surfing waves like camel is.(would love too)
But from surfing on the 7.0 ds in smaller surf it just felt i could go shorter and help save face planting and seeing stars...
It just looks like a normal 6.3 udo,37L..easy paddling and good under the feet..helps sit abit past the crowd in any conditions.
Yeah theres a picture of a 10"5 on instagram ldoggy . 97 litres I think, we refined it from 99 was the mach1 2 yrs ago .
Hey Goofyfoot
No, I didn't get one. Too many injuries this autumn and winter, so my big wave dreams are on the back burner for a while. Seeing Drodders' new whip made me all hot under the collar, though!
I was at Lennox for the Black NE swell, and should have gone to see Webby. Next time...
Oh well never mind, it's something to look forward too then!
Penmister any chance of post a photo of the 6-3?
Its in imgur somewhere simba...Maybe someone can help make it to swellnet..sorry. .
Hi Caml,
What can you tell us about the ryan lovelace big wave board?
Seen this link LD?
https://michaelkew.com/dispatches/2016/8/16/on-the-edge-with-ryan-lovelace
I had not.
Thanks, Stu.
Gee Michael Kew has some good vids on Vimeo.
Macgyver....
Thanks for the link I hadn't seen that , should we starta thread for edge boards ?
Forsure it looks interesting....
Has anyone tried Webby’s 6’4 to 7”0 fat DS range, like the look of the 6’8 or 6’10 as a travel board, packing a lot of board into a smallish package, do they work from 4-10ft?
Drodders , theres two guys with 6"4 DS that have great success ive seen and heard . They rated the 6"4 highly , not sure what finsetup either quad or tri probably.
Fraser G can you post some pics of your D.S .
I'm interested in a 6'4, and it would be great to hear some first hand info on how they go. Btw, are the short DS still glassed heavily?
Not on hand but have a picture of the most expensive board I had the pleasure of buying.https://imgur.com/a/jCcwG
So much for the "Special Glassing Technique"
Island Bay i think Webbies glassing is custom
Here you go Udo 7'8 x 20 3/4 x 3 1/4 DS https://imgur.com/a/7f8yA
Very nice ...do you take it to your favourite Javanese lefthander ?
Hasn't had a Jersey yet. If you had to only take one board anywhere on a surf trip that would be the one. Huge range from small grovel to very solid wave's and it feel's good in the tube.
Here you go The - Camel have a read of this.
Udo , do you think T-C would like a DS with a single fin ?
Good picture and ratings of the DS Fraser Gordon. Looks good to me
Just surfed a new custom (with some leaned out foam around tail, rails and nose) DS in TC Linda at a solid sand bottom point break..... I'm calling 8/10 for the DS first surf in challenging dredgy sand bottom QLD point breaks that I'm not used to surfing ... it worked so well I'm completely sold on the design from 6+
cycd board dimensions ?
6'11 x 20 1/8 x 3 1/4
So about 50 litres
Quad or thruster or plugged for both...?
I only really surf a DS as a quad. EA futures ( the black glass fins) ... pretty much only set up I feel good riding backhand with quads in waves of consequence.... and under 50 litres ... about 47-48 from memory
cycd, did you have Webby thin out the areas mentioned more than on the standard design? Did it hold ok even with all the volume?
DS now come with a quad / 2+1 fin set option ....
Yep saw that.
Only if you ask nicely for it obviously,
you can even have two leash plugs ;)
Hi Cycd , good to hear that it felt so good . i think even better is dual foiled fins in the rears . The ea has a flat on the inside of rear fins and the feeling can get better i reckon . Get a set of foiled rears (a bit smaller) and try for a bit freer feeling
Yes to all questions island
Will play around with this clam... I run with foiled rears in my deep six channels (AB2's) .... worked a treat in that point surf just posted on swell net :)
You on biggest board out there ?
If you thin out the areas where its thick then it won't be a "desertstorm" anymore.
The design is based around the thickness.
Think body board design,
One inch is a big factor lengthwise.
Thickness is stable from front to tail,
Its blunt at each end , blocky but purposeful.
The part of the design that should be experimented further is rail profile. Think vacuum rail.
So if you want less board, you dont thin it out, you cut length off :) leave the thickness all the way. Its part of the design .
Changing the swing weight in the nose is an easy fix with glassing...snip snip
Thats the beauty of an individual custom... you get what you want. I will be reordering based off the improvements I have made for my own personal board/s.
Funny you mentioned swing weight... that was a big part of the reason for foam shift to surf places up north where you pull straight in... looking forward to it this winter :)
Hey Guy and Udo, I got the blue tinted quad / single in a 6’10 20 ½ by 3 DS that is on Webby’s instagram 1/3/2018, to go with my 7’6 DS.
Have only ridden it from 3-5ft so far, as a 2+1 with the single way forward in the box, has really made it a loose fast board in small waves. I ordered this set up so I could extend the wave size range down it has really worked. It was actually a bit too loose even in 5ft waves, very easy to adjust.
I have dropped a quad set in it now, fingers crossed for swell.
Beautiful board Drodders, and a versatile one too with that fin box configuration. Good thinking.
On a semi-related note: Webby's logo overhaul is fantastic. Hats off to the designer and Webby too for signing it off. The best logos are the simple ones.
Nice Drodders .
Puddle jumper Duo...got some pics and a ride report ?
EDIT: you sold PJ Duo on gumtree recently.
good work Drodders, would be very interested to know the fin brand and size of the fins for the 2+1 set up. when I first saw the insta pic on webber's account I thought that centre fin might be around 8", it also has plenty of rake on it. Looked a great combo. Agree with your comments on the logo stu.
Hi Guy, Farrelly fin 8”, side bites are shapers 3.5 inch 50/50 foil, very low drag. I have a couple of other single fins to try, shorter with less rake and more depth at the base, but I did like how this rode, very surprised with how loose it was, and that it worked in waist height waves as well. It is also surprising how much fun a 6’10 is in little waves…I’m probably not the person to judge though I have fun on all sorts of inappropriate stuff in the surf.
I am keen now to try it in some juice as a quad, going to Fiji in July, depending on the forecast it may be a one board quiver, just with several sets of fins.
1 plus two sounds good on a Desert storm
That board looks and sounds sweet, Drodders. Please keep us up to date on your fin experiments.
It's getting harder and harder to resist ordering a DS. And Stu, you're right about the new graphics.