More from Wax Off
truebluebasher said: Who requested the most despicable reverse hostile cross national sickly song about world's #1 arsehole!
Think tbb should first warn the…
World Music... oops, I mean, music that is perhaps unfamiliar to western listeners because it's from underrepresented places..61
blackers said: A song fer Sussan.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay…
Tunes8,398
lucky-al said: Likewise, freeride76. Will call in next time I'm down your way.
Botany Nerds Ahoy2,639
seeds
said:
Oh shit yeah, I’ve been there a couple of times. Once on school camp and once as a adult 25 years younger than now.
Show us your photos
2812
seeds
said:
Opti said “Anyone who reads your past comments will easily see why you’re not worth engaging in conversation.”
No numbn
All Things Religion Thread
5463
Optimist
said:
Where I live now is perfect…..but I’ve had better in the past.
Where in AUS would you live in you could take your pick?
17
Supafreak
said:
This guy has broken his back in 2 places plus other injuries but this horrific fall didn’t break his spirit, such a amaz
The MTB Thread
315
A Salty Dog
said:
[quote=velocityjohnno]Bagspreading
Be the bigger man and don't do it
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/n
Australia - you're standing in it
10602
Don’t know seaslug , was hoping someone could explain if it was a disease or something .
A really good bait for trigger fish is any exposed digits on the human body.
I had one try to take off the middle toe of my right foot as I paddled across a lagoon in Indo a few days ago. Felt this CLAMP! sensation and assumed it was a little reef shark had a go at me. Rolled off my board, opened my eyes and saw a trigger fish coming back for another hit. Threw an underwater punch at it and it fell back. Got on my board and paddled with my feet in the air and my fingers bunched. Little bastard left a nice cut past the first joint on the toe.
Talked to a local fisho about it and he reckons there’s a few trigger fish live on the main reef in the lagoon and are known to take chunks out of surfers who transgress into their territory.
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water!
Easiest spear ever!
I like the way they advertise to come fight the down currents. Reading up on them it’s apparently best to just go with it and swim sideways and it will eventually back off , this is when free diving though, when using oxygen it would be different experience.
Thanks gg1412.
Will have a crack at frying the next ones.
Pulled in a monster stingray last night. Big fight. Thing was huge, probably 60cm across with a big noggin and beady eyes that were giving me lots of stink as I tried to get the hook out. Ended up cutting the line as it was swishing that tail around a lot. Didn’t know if it had a barb or not but I wasn’t game to find out.
Eventually got him back into the waves and he swam off.
Pulled in a few smaller ones too. Anyone eating them?
Also, having zero luck with lures. Just running worms and pilchards and getting a few.
You're lucky to still have that toe SJL, I've seen those things bite through some serious hooks. They are basically swimming bolt cutters.
SF, re the eye thing,
looks like exophthalmia (popeye disease, a result of fluid build-up in the eye socket) to me. Fairly common in aquariums, ponds and aquaculture due to poor water quality, overcrowding etc, not so much in the wild, but does occur. If it's just the one eye then it's probably an injury from bumping into rock/reef, or from one it's prey, or something that has attempted to prey on it.
@tubeshooter , thanks for the explanation, looks nasty, if I caught one on line I would’ve be questioning if it was ok to eat .
Sane with those oceanic toadfish- gnarly bolt cutter teeth.
ETarip, don't want to burst your bubble but 60cm is not a bit stingray mate- try 2m across, or bigger for cowtails.
Haha, fair enough FR. I just looked at the photos again next to my grom and I undersold it.
It’s probably closer to a metre across. I’ll try and post the photo. Still not in the range you’re talking. I’ve seen some massive ones round the boat ramps here.
To answer your question, I have eaten them.
Pain in the arse to skin the flaps but it is doable.
You'd have to be pretty keen to go through the process.
Shovelnose sharks (rays) are much better eating.
Generally speaking I release all sharks and rays these days- too much hassle.
Thanks. Will keep chucking them back.
A young local with his pole and line didn’t take long to hook half a dozen fish . The reef seems pretty healthy here and we have been trolling and getting mainly school mackerel. All fish so far are hitting a pink skirt and there are some big GTs about but unfortunately one of the guys didn’t land it . Plenty of lobster about and we had a big feed of them last night . Swells dropped so hopefully going for a troll tomorrow as high tide first thing.

The Brazilian crew just got back from spear fishing.


Supafreak. Good stuff.
Hunters, gatherers and surfers.
That’s life right in front of you. Enjoy. AW
Shot the big wrasse? How’s that going to taste? Pretty shit eating aren’t they?
Parrot fish I think , taste pretty good
&SJY , some news you might like ,
Got the fucker!
Classic
That’s exactly how it bit me. They must turn side on to strike at the surface because the teeth are rotated upwards / downwards in their mouth but the bites are off axis 90 degrees.
Angry, angry fish.
Cheers Supa.
@goofyfooter , I DuckDuckGo parrot fish and there are many varied opinions , specifically on should we eat them . I’ve only ever eaten them on Lembongan and know that the reefs in that area don’t have what fish eat to get the toxin ciguatera . However the mentawai reefs do have it so I will caution the lads about eating it as another friend has had a bad experience with it and when he realised he told the Indonesian crew to get rid of the fish and of course they ate it and became extremely sick . https://www.chefsresource.com/are-parrot-fish-good-eating/ There’s a lot of information on internet.
I've never tried one supa, but when mates have caught them they've always said they taste pretty average.
I'm sure cooked the right way with plenty of Sambal and Kecap Manis and after a few binnies they'd be unreal!
I think Parrot fish are a sub-species of wrasse, could be wrong on that though.
Having a good trip? How's the forecast looking?
Forecast is small next few days then a good swell on 29th and pumping on 5th may , it’s actually nice to have some days off as my muscles are aching. Everyone here has some type of injury hahaha , the old boys 72 & 76 are fine , fark me , everything changes quickly once over 60 .
It’s inspiring stuff supa.
That Larry guy who spends months each year at G-land and is mid 70’s and still catches bombs at Speedies blows me away.
Massive inspiration
at last, the million dollar barra!
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-30/nt-million-dollar-fish-competiti…
that's a good story. a super outcome for all involved.
Awsome! The smile the kid's face is all time.
That is an epic story, stoked for him!
What a great young man , first thoughts were to help his parents . Glad someone deserving pulled that fish , I can only imagine their excitement when the tag was spotted .
This is an unfortunate addition to an otherwise feel good story. I hope he make right with costs to the business owner.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/more-sports/million-dollar-fish-2024-winn…
Did you just happen to write this comment because he’s an aborigine or are you fully concerned and focused on all Australian criminal matters ?
I wonder, I wonder, why, AW
I’m puzzled as to why you would think my comment is about race? Care to explain?
Did I say race ? Come on, how stupid do you think I am, you could’ve posted any current story on a crime or crimes in Australia today, remarkably you just happened to choose this one .
You simply couldn’t help yourself and have a petty dig at what is an otherwise good story.
By his own admission, he and his mates fucked up.
Never fucked up in life pal ?
You just happened to have to bring that one to the fore.
You know you deliberately did it.
Head up to Darwin and witness town life and you’ll get a reality check from a whole different perspective.
We know your form, you’re definitely the bluntest tool in the shed, not so sharp !!!. AW
Did I say race ? Yes.
Whatever make you feel empowered and clever. You do you, AW.
What a piece of shit Stefanovic is for ambushing him with that.
He’s a 19 year old who fucked up when he was 16 or so?
Who gives a fuck!
I posted this yesterday, AW. Same story and it was a good win for the kid. Overnight more came to light and I commented.
I noticed you only came in to whinge and throw shit around, which is your usual form. You really are a passive aggressive creature. But, like I say. You do you, AW.
Haven't seen the interview so don't know if the kid was briefed beforehand or not, but good on him for owning it like that. Nothing like genuine remorse for a character test.
You think he would have been briefed?
Hmmm, I don’t know. Doubt it.
But yeah he owned it well.
Edit - my original post should have started with “If stefanovic ambushed him with that”…
Just annoyed me when I read the article
Probably the business owners who cars he flogged, no doubt got off with a slap on the wrist.
“Bob Cavanagh, (the business owner) I’ve finally done it, I’m richer,” he said.
“Sorry about your buggy, and I wish I could pay you back.
“I’m very sorry. Sorry for you and your wife and your business.”
Why can't he pay it back he has $1M??
This was posted on socials by the business owners son. have the screen shot not sure how to load it, word for word below.
Hi Keegan Payne, a sincere congratulations to you, I'm sure this money will make a huge difference to your life, especially being so young. I hope you enjoy it and spend it wisely.
On a serious note, I hope you have the integrity to replace the Polaris Ranger and Polaris quad that you and your friends stole from my father's business (which also happens to be his home as well), and trashed beyond repair back during the first COVID lockdown the NT experienced in
2021. It would be a small kindness really, especially considering my father was your employer at the time.
Would you give two fucks if this was a white kid?
YES. If my kid he'd be paying it back, you wouldn't?
Yeah first thought is the right thing to do would be to compensate his former employer.
He probably has insurance though that covered the theft, so maybe he just covers the excess?
Some time ago my daughter had a party while my wife and I were away for the weekend. One young bloke climbed up on my garage roof and was showing off before he fell through the roof. His fall luckily was broken by some stuff I had stored on the ceiling joists but he still fell a few metres and I think might have broken his arm. I put a temporary cover over hole in my roof. After a couple of months I still hadn't heard from the young guy so I rang him up and asked what he was going to do about repairing my roof. He got back to me a week or so later and he and his brother repaired my roof to my satisfaction. This is a good example of teaching young kids responsibility for their actions (this young bloke was white).
Haha. Righto, im sure you reeeeeally care about this one stolen polaris over all other world events currently taking place. Im sure his aboriginality is just a coincidence in your sudden moral righteousness.
I believe you!!!
far out your cooked, you bought up race NOT me
Far out the clownfish are biting today...
Anyhooo back to the fishing thread. Was a great thread.
nice deflection when you know you are WRONG lol
“ Anyhooo back to the fishing thread. Was a great thread.
Yep
And I just read the kid has rung his old boss and said he will pay. Good on him for doing the right thing.
Excellent good on him, good result all round.
I reckon the son is an arse hat for putting that on social media. Blatant punching down.