More from Wax On
notadmin
said:
Predator on a mission. https://www.instagram.com/p/DM078olTQ4T/?igsh=MXRobDY0aml1amtuYQ==
Test Format
2
andy-mac
said:
[quote=basesix][quote=sypkan]
:..why the fuck would you come to Indonesia?
I love Bali
3139
Rochko B
said:
I have one in those dimensions; it's my favourite board. Instant connection and super carvy.
~ Spotted ~ Gumtree ~ Ebay ~ Facey ~
1395
truebluebasher
said:
Dedicated to Craig's Miraculous Boardswaps & Leggie Swaps
( Lost'n'Found Forward )
Distant memory Guns that resurfa
Miraculous board retrieval stories
11
Ahhhh shit. Terrible news.
Those crystal clear waters attract people and sharks, they can see us easily.
Give me dark and murky waters any day. Condolences to all concerned. Can’t imagine what’d be like. AW
good article from beachgrit......
https://beachgrit.com/2025/03/surfer-scientist-relationship-teetering-o…
From the Grit :
Heard there were two others in the water and a girlfriend watching from the beach. Truly horrible. RIP, another victim, and condolences to all.
Fuck the gravy train scientists and ignoramuses. Hope the Fisheries Dept, and/or local fisho's, act immediately by catching and killing this shark. It won't be far away. Dreadful to think this could be the same old big creature repeating its opportune attack and feeding behaviour in this area.
Horrific incident in such a beautiful location.
RIP...
A GWS Encounter every time this Reef is Surfed
and Highly Probable a Loss of Human Life.
https://perthisok.com/explore/first-rocks-arrive-to-begin-construction-…
This attack didn't even make the east coast news.
Nothing in the Guardian, ABC or SMH.
Sign of the times?
First item on the abc.net.au/news feed for me yesterday afternoon FR.
It's on The Age/SMH site today
That article from beachgrit is not good. The emotion behind it is completely understandable, especially on the back of such a horrific attack, but the idea that scientists are denying reality and want to hide that sharks eat people is click bait nonsense.
Obviously sharks attack people but to say that sharks "eat people" as though we are a regular part of their diet ignores reality. And for a scientist to declare that we are a part of their diet would be a major departure from the empirical evidence that beachgrit apparently values.
You can read any number of research papers analysing the gut contents of sharks. There is also the research using stable isotopes that shows what a shark has eaten in recent months and even over its lifetime. While they find mammals as a major source of the adult white shark diet, it's oceanic mammals, not humans.
From another angle, look at the estimates of adult white shark populations in Australia, estimated to be approximately 2200.
https://www.csiro.au/en/research/animals/marine-life/sharks/can-white-s…
Here's an older paper, with an estimated feeding frequency of 11 days, so roughly 33 times per year: https://www.nature.com/articles/srep01471
So that would be 2210 x 33 = 72,930 individual feeding episodes of a white shark. I don't actually know how many white shark attacks there are per year in Australia, but even if it was as high as 10 that would be 0.013% of the feeding episodes. These are obviously shaky numbers but use whatever calculations you trust, with that many individual sharks feeding every week, it's a very very small number that feed on humans.
So for a scientist to say that they eat people as though it's a part of their diet is not likely to happen because it really doesn't seem to be the case. Despite the fact that they do occasionally attack and eat us.
I do think there's some research to be done about the frequency of attacks relative to encounters with surfers. I've never been attacked by a shark but I've encountered them at least four times, possibly 5 (it was murky), and there are two other times when I've just missed them (seen them swimming through the lineup just after getting out). I suspect most of us would have similar experiences and I reckon that would be an interesting bit of research to do.
Yep, noticed it posted on SMH an hr ago.
Went looking for it and found it on ABC.com.
Looks like it was buried quickly.
I think the point still stands: have we reached a point where fatal attacks from great whites are no longer mainstream news?
And Blowin's (Gila Kontol) Beachgrit story isn't an accurate representation of science but there is truth in his article.
Kontol Kecil more like it. (I miss Blowy/SweetDudeSweetDude)
Hope Blowin is still creeping around here somewhere
Oh wow that does explain it. Blowin always mistook his ability to string together an emotive sentence for critical thinking.
I genuinely don't see any truth in that article. It's a haze of emotional speculation and misrepresentations written to whip up a feisty response.
I wouldn’t take anything on BeachGrit seriously.
And well done spotting that that was Blowin.
Agree as there is sentiment that many would agree with. There will always be opposing views but the current conservative stance on one particular type of shark is not allowing objective conversations, IMO. And Benski your rough estimates even with a margin of error seem insignificant but they don’t hide the fact that a tiny proportion of any number where the risk of harm is death or serious injury requires consideration. We don’t blink when authorities react with assertive measures when the human/animal interaction involves for example, dingos on Fraser even when the harm is relatively minor.
Stu - that email I sent you, have you had a chance to go through it?
This article, published today, makes mention of Vic and Tas and I might have the answer to it.
https://beachgrit.com/2025/03/new-report-documents-773-increase-in-grea…
Has been Lots of Attacks in Tas ...
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/62265d95eca343a6ad124b9956092c55
Thats pretty crazy especially when you consider the low population and fact that there just isn't many people in the water at any time and for very long, you need to be very brave to even surf in a spring suit in summer let alone go for a swim in boardies
I've seen a couple a sharks on the east and west coasts, and although I don't get shark paranoia often, I've felt pretty sketched at South Cape. The remoteness of it doesn't help.
https://florida-beaches-info.com/attacks/shark-attacks-tasmania-austral…
Heard about this but had already forgotten. Was gonna sneak an early grovel in this morning, but I'm still on not surfing from injury sleeping patterns and couldn't get out of bed. I would've remembered the moment I got out the back in the half light and sat there with my feet dangling and fuck all waves coming through.
Yeh the last few days I'd have considered a low quality surf along that stretch. Seeing that footage kept me away. Now I think about it I haven't surfed 13th since the whale debacle, there just hasn't been many days worth me heading there vs the local SC options since that happened anyway.
https://fredpawle.substack.com/p/shark-huggers-disregard-their-gruesome…
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_fatal_shark_attacks_…
Fred Pawle’s a class act.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/western-australia/we-can-t-keep-ignorin…
"“We have great white sightings – they’re patrolling our beaches on a daily basis and the community’s had enough, we really want something done, we feel like we’re not getting the response.
“We know that Fisheries have the capability to tag because they go out, and they tag five or six great whites in one day … we want them to move their capture tagging program from all our remote islands, to more responding to events like this because great whites revisit areas of interest.”
Marc Payne said it was concerning the shark involved in the attack hadn’t been tagged.
“We feel like more can be done; we’re talking about human lives here,” he said.
“Completely ignoring the situation, and just saying we’re going to close the beach and drive up and down in our boats each time this happens [is not enough] as far as I’m concerned, as far as the Ocean Safety community and Esperance is concerned.
“These sharks are not getting better, they’re getting worse, the interactions are increasing considerably.”
Quote is from article and was on 6PR apparently, from Marc Payne, a local Ocean Safety community member.
RIP to the surfer, and condolences to loved ones and family.
https://www.watoday.com.au/national/western-australia/fears-for-surfer-…
posted on previous page, latest update
https://7news.com.au/news/surfer-steven-payne-killed-in-wa-shark-attack…
.
https://oceansafety.com.au/
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2025-03-12/esperance-shark-attack-on-steven…
A mate of mine travelling, arrived there yesterday, the whole town has been shaken yet again.
Appartently someone captured the incident on drone video footage. Hope the footage isn't shared. Horrific.
Is this thread the only mention of the recent attack?
Condolences to the family.
Be tough being a surfer in Esperance
Thoughts on this by local crew etc?
It's not my home coast so hesitant to put too much feedback into it, but what i do know from having spent plenty of time along this coast is that there's alot of coast that is suitable for fishing away from surfbreaks.
Good to see some heat being put on the cage diving ops also.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2025-03-22/sharks-streaky-bay-fishing-cage-…
But how the heck does the government need to spend $500,000 on assessment alone?? What makes assessment such an expensive expenditure? Surely it doesn't cost that much to just talk to the key stakeholders in the area. Fuck me.
And putting choppers up sporadically along that coast is a waste of time and money imo.
Hmmm it's almost like we need some sort of system that goes in and uncovers this over spending and wastage of money.
On second thought, nah not a good idea those getting funding cut's would make a uproar and politically weaponise it.
Hi sr!!
This is not just "assessment".
Details are here:
https://www.premier.sa.gov.au/media-releases/news-archive/action-to-hel…
There are some practical measures being implemented via Surf Life Saving SA, and targeted helicopter surveillance is just one of them.
Cheers!!
Thanks Salty. I guess it's better than nothing but can't imagine choppers are much chop around the deeper reef breaks that are surrounded in black water. Maybe for the bathing beaches but that's not really where the problem is i guess. Not like the Eastern states that have white sandy beaches and a chopper can easily spot a pointer cruising along just behind the surf line.
Thanks for the link.
Stick your other pet threads indo.
Okay i will keep it on topic then
I started surfing in 87 my fave go to learning spot was a few kilometres from where this fucker was caught
I didnt see it on the day it was caught, but saw it when it came back on a big truck preserved.
Blew me away as grommet, seeing it's teeth close up, they looked huge in real life, they dont look half as big in pics today though.
Good on you Indo. Keep to topic.
Cat Bay!! I knew it. haha
Just kidding. Good spot to learn though.
Yeah I remember that one. Off the Nobbies wasn't it?
That's a beast. What a monster. Must have left an impression for sure.
That's the size of the fuckers getting around down this part of the world lately causing all the trouble. Sketchy stuff.
That beastie was stored in a shipping container on the Bass Coast Highway for years. Cupla bucks to see the big fishie. Near the Big Worm. Always a highlight.
I remember the Vic Hislop shark show from when I was a little fella.
Even though I'm terrified of sharks I still remember feeling sorry for the embalmed shark.
I understand the shark had been seen around the Island and the Pt Leo side for some years, without any attacks. Hislop claimed he was asked by surfers to catch the shark to eliminate any danger, but nobody knows who those surfers are. He spent a few days berleying the area around Seal Rocks with blood to attract it, (that’s a great idea with surfers at Kitty Millers, Summerlands and Right Point etc), finally getting it hooked. I believe he had a 44 gallon drum attached to the line.
It apparently was towing his little tinny out to sea and pulling it under stern first, with hero Vic screaming for help over the radio. Nobody bothered. I believe he finally despatched it with a rifle.
He took it back to Cowes Pier and proudly put it on display only to find some very angry people telling him he should fuck off, quickly.
The shark clearly was old and may have been ill, according to some who had seen it in the weeks prior to Hislop appearing.
Only a few days later a surfer was attacked at a longboard comp.
Hislop subsequently put the shark on display charging people an admission.
The mercenary prick only killed it for financial gain.
He tried to return a few years later but was met at the border by Rangers and told to fuck off and never come back.
Hislop had the habit of appearing at the site of shark attacks to catch the offending animal (and probably publicity).
I think he eventually sold the Island shark.
There was a few attacks after that, but it was a year after
Oct 88 in a long board comp i think at Woolmai
https://sharkattacks.planetdeadly.com/attack-3351
Then another attack at Surfies Point Oct 89
https://sharkattacks.planetdeadly.com/attack-3351
And then there was another one at Kilcunda in Nov 89
https://sharkattacks.planetdeadly.com/attack-3404
Its kind of weird as a grommet i wasn't real phased i thought it was normal, but there hasn't been a true attack since
I dont know if it was all a coincidence or same shark but it does seem they happen in clusters no matter where they are VIC, NSW, SA, WA
Hosea 4:6 - My people are destroyed by lack of knowledge.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FYI shark nets are coming down a month early in NSW on the 31st March. Make of it what you will.
Regarding my friend Vic Hislop.. read his book "Sharkman" (online free Pdf) to get an insight into the true nature of this great man. 'Fisheries' depts and govt cake eaters that don't even use the ocean intentionally destroyed his life. Its proven in the stats that he saved many surfers lives back in the day. When 'protection' happened in the 90's he was forced to stop fishing them and the fatal attack rate started spiralling upwards as a result. Hislop fishing them was considered a public service until the 'endangered' BS was speculated on by a few 'stakeholders' that could make huge money throwing tourists into cages and burleying the waters to attract the GWS.. which is banned in WA.. for good reason. Conditioning them. 'Stakeholder science' I call the protection rackets justification for 'protection' of these awful creatures that half eat all the gentler creatures in the ocean. Whales taking a week to die while they are chewed. Hence the beaching option they take. Better to suffocate exhausted on the sand than be eaten alive. Its appalling.
Try not to seize over this post.. calm down. The media conditioning for 30 years of 'protection' has really done a job on people. People get soo emotional over this and LOGIC goes out the window when emotions are high. This debate needs common sense and logic.. not emotion. Good people are dying in the most brutal of ways. Eaten alive, torn to pieces while you watch. Some people cannot even make a sound when they realise what is taking place. Imagine it.
The fishos know read their comments here. The first rule of science is observation.
https://ibb.co/W4c65sf4