To live near the beach...or not.

freeride76 Wednesday, 16 Oct 2024 at 09:18 am new

hahahah, I feel ya mate.

Weeds never stop.

philosurphizingkerching Wednesday, 16 Oct 2024 at 09:52 am new

How are the midges at the moment I have never seen them so bad.
Usually at this time of year you get hassled by maybe a dozen when you're out in the garden, but lately it's 100-200, so it's a hat, long sleeved shirt, gloves and lots of Tea tree oil,
I'm even thinking of getting some mosquito netting to put over my hat and cover my face.

geek Wednesday, 16 Oct 2024 at 11:46 am new

spookypt wrote:

The irony!! 11 years to the day since I started this topic......and Im moving back to the beach@!!!!

Its felts like 10 years of hard labour tbh. yes I surfed alot but nothing like beach living. The effort to maintain and improve and repair what I bought has truly taken its toll on me. I cant wait to get back to being "in tune" with the ocean rather than trying to guage its mood with long range forecasts, swell cam, wind cam, word of mouth etc etc.

From a $'s perspective my property has increased x 5 what i bought it for thus the perils of the Sunny Coast curse of prop values BUT I cant wait to not have to mow, fix fences, trees, paint, repair rot, etc etc etc.

At 52, the next place I buy will be my last I reckon and once surfing beats me beach fishing will be most likley pursuit. As my wife said, it was always a "trial" and I think after 10 years Im cconfident Ive given it a red hot go. But the sub tropical bush and maintenance has beaten me. Back to basics for me! Yeow.

This thread was a good read. We bought 5 acres a few years ago and we are thinking of selling next year for similar reasons (but I need to do most of the maintenance work in the cold/wet/mud/wind of Vicco). Still surf and ride a lot but I hate the constant feeling of guilt not mowing, slashing, spraying or fixing shit. Interest rates/cost of living means it also cost 2-3x as much to live here now as it did when we bought, thinking a little beach shack somewhere near the MP back beaches that needs a bit of love will be the way to go for us.

velocityjohnno Wednesday, 16 Oct 2024 at 01:14 pm new

Onya spookypt, my grandfather spent his life fighting the subtropical bush in the cane fields behind Mudjimba, I cannot imagine how fast the stuff would grow. Filled with brown snakes too.

basesix Wednesday, 16 Oct 2024 at 02:16 pm new

cool thread resurrection @udo : )
I'm at the damp end of the limestone coast, twixt adelaide's mediterranean-ness, and vicco temperate-ness @spookypt.  kinda scottish/welsh feeling here, with the pastureland, a little scando with the plantation pines..  but I have bushy hectares of ongoing weeds, shit-trees, and maintenance which leave me moribund with crippling overwhemedness about twice a year, where I ignore it, resent it, and even get away from it when I can.  I cannot imagine how soul-destroyingly-fast encroachment must be up your way.  perfect plan you have - going bush is about building experience and understanding (as you have) not about being subsumed.  best plan ever: surf till you can't, beach-fish till you die. bliss.

stunet Wednesday, 16 Oct 2024 at 02:20 pm new

basesix wrote:

surf till you can't, beach-fish till you die.

And smile as you throw heavily-weighted sinkers at the heads of agile young surfers.

basesix Wednesday, 16 Oct 2024 at 02:43 pm new

I'll get to the beach up there too, towards the end..
(I have a palliative care room booked for 2050 at tweed valley hospital, and 2000 single-use-burner-drones with a 12-mile range on order. reckon that'll give me a couple of fading years of laptop-joy, flying down the river and pegging young 'uns at snapper and d-bah)

spookypt Wednesday, 16 Oct 2024 at 05:17 pm new

velocityjohnno wrote:

Onya spookypt, my grandfather spent his life fighting the subtropical bush in the cane fields behind Mudjimba, I cannot imagine how fast the stuff would grow. Filled with brown snakes too.

VJ Im hoping this FB link works. We pulled this Eastern Brown out of my shed deck yesty. The Snake Lady said it was the biggest one she'd caught this year! Nearly got me dog!
https://www.facebook.com/reel/1046381660509478

udo Wednesday, 16 Oct 2024 at 05:18 pm new

Jeezus he was a Bit Toey
--------------------------------------------------

spookypt Wednesday, 16 Oct 2024 at 05:21 pm new

geek wrote:

spookypt wrote:

The irony!! 11 years to the day since I started this topic......and Im moving back to the beach@!!!!

Its felts like 10 years of hard labour tbh. yes I surfed alot but nothing like beach living. The effort to maintain and improve and repair what I bought has truly taken its toll on me. I cant wait to get back to being "in tune" with the ocean rather than trying to guage its mood with long range forecasts, swell cam, wind cam, word of mouth etc etc.

From a $'s perspective my property has increased x 5 what i bought it for thus the perils of the Sunny Coast curse of prop values BUT I cant wait to not have to mow, fix fences, trees, paint, repair rot, etc etc etc.

At 52, the next place I buy will be my last I reckon and once surfing beats me beach fishing will be most likley pursuit. As my wife said, it was always a "trial" and I think after 10 years Im cconfident Ive given it a red hot go. But the sub tropical bush and maintenance has beaten me. Back to basics for me! Yeow.

This thread was a good read. We bought 5 acres a few years ago and we are thinking of selling next year for similar reasons (but I need to do most of the maintenance work in the cold/wet/mud/wind of Vicco). Still surf and ride a lot but I hate the constant feeling of guilt not mowing, slashing, spraying or fixing shit. Interest rates/cost of living means it also cost 2-3x as much to live here now as it did when we bought, thinking a little beach shack somewhere near the MP back beaches that needs a bit of love will be the way to go for us.

Geek the problem I have is I have OCD which means on 2 + acres once Ive spent 10 hours making the place look splendid and spotless.....a leaf lands on my manicured driveway and I go into a state of Kaniption. And being OCD I cant put things off which means the things I enjoy the most get left to last...and surfing misses out cause Im too stuffed fighting the bush. People come over and they go WOW your place is amazing....but theyre not the ones spending 15 hrs on a weekend making it look that way. Im broken...I just cant do it anymore!

Join the conversation Sign up for free OR Login