I love Bali

andy-mac Saturday, 14 Jun 2025 at 08:13 pm new
udo Sunday, 15 Jun 2025 at 12:21 pm new
jezza64 Sunday, 15 Jun 2025 at 01:24 pm new

My first trip in '86 was a deal like that, 30 days at Loji Gardens in Legian, return air fares, transfer and a motor bike for $1000. Amazing...... pretty much just surfed at Padma St perfect banks there then, couple of trips to Ulus and one to Canggu through the jungle and rice paddies.

Supafreak Sunday, 15 Jun 2025 at 02:24 pm new

@jezza64 , those were the days, endless v banks up & down kuta legian stretch. You probably went past hotel K on your way to the gu . IMG-1855

andy-mac Sunday, 15 Jun 2025 at 04:56 pm new

Great pic supa....
Bit different now!

seaslug Sunday, 15 Jun 2025 at 08:05 pm new

That looks familiar, luckily from the outside

jezza64 Monday, 16 Jun 2025 at 08:36 am new

Supafreak wrote:

@jezza64 , those were the days, endless v banks up & down kuta legian stretch. You probably went past hotel K on your way to the gu . IMG-1855

I don't recall seeing that, but do remember we got pulled over by the polisi and had to all chip in to pay the bemo drivers "fine", apparently he was only licenced to take locals......

seaslug Monday, 16 Jun 2025 at 08:59 am new

haha jezza, the old bemo tax

Supafreak Wednesday, 18 Jun 2025 at 01:30 pm new

Very spectacular footage . Going to disrupt a lot of people’s plans.

basesix Wednesday, 18 Jun 2025 at 01:47 pm new

apocalyptic.. fark, that last bit of footage 'amatau!' is sobering..
hope it won't interfere with Adub's ornithological exploits..

ron Wednesday, 18 Jun 2025 at 01:50 pm new

sypkan wrote:

times up for bingin?

I'd normally defend the warungs, but there's now so many ugly euro concrete boxes, with all that comes with it, I say good...

until we see what replaces them?

balangan on the radar

https://thebalisun.com/bali-moves-to-demolish-more-than-40-illegal-tour…

In some ways I'm on board with this if it wasn't so likely they will then turn around and sell to highest bidder. End result one huge high end uglier shit box replaces 40 small cheaper shit boxes that at least have some charm and locals in the mix.

Supafreak Wednesday, 18 Jun 2025 at 02:06 pm new

basesix wrote:

apocalyptic.. fark, that last bit of footage 'amatau!' is sobering..

hope it won't interfere with Adub's ornithological exploits..

He should be ok getting into Bali with Batik air , but his internal flights may be disrupted, hopefully not as he has been planning and looking forward for so long .

ron Tuesday, 24 Jun 2025 at 02:13 pm new

Hows the new sea wall thing going with some swell hitting it?

annie boy Tuesday, 24 Jun 2025 at 10:11 pm new

The seawall is ok, got 4 diggers in there bashing rocks around. Not so good for Kuta "beach" not much sand from lifeguard tower up past poppies 2. Bali, loved to death??

seaslug Wednesday, 25 Jun 2025 at 03:23 pm new
udo Saturday, 28 Jun 2025 at 09:46 am new
Supafreak Saturday, 28 Jun 2025 at 10:54 am new

A monorail at height would be easier but possibly issues with temples may come into play .There is certainly many different ideas floating around, so much money coming in from around the globe .

simba Saturday, 28 Jun 2025 at 02:46 pm new

can they think up many more ways to fuk up paradise .......endless

mickseq Saturday, 28 Jun 2025 at 07:22 pm new

They approved the metro, is that not enough?

Supafreak Sunday, 29 Jun 2025 at 08:20 am new

Money pouring in , not just Bali .

Moonah Sunday, 29 Jun 2025 at 09:12 am new

Supafreak how do you think something like that proposed development in Lombok would work out in the long run?
Being Muslim and not Hindu like Bali I’m guessing it’s not going to have the same vibe as Bali?

ant01 Sunday, 29 Jun 2025 at 09:45 am new
seaslug Sunday, 29 Jun 2025 at 10:10 am new

The speil says it all for me, whenever I hear phrases like empowering, visionary, guiding light it normally means somebody's about to be shafted and it's not him unless the Sarsak's do some black magic

ant01 Sunday, 29 Jun 2025 at 10:20 am new

seaslug wrote:

The speil says it all for me, whenever I hear phrases like empowering, visionary, guiding light it normally means somebody's about to be shafted and it's not him unless the Sarsak's do some black magic

The old "Rat with a gold tooth", comes to mind.
He apparently has 12 businesses that gross $60 million per year. That's along way from the kind of capital needed to build something like this.

Supafreak Sunday, 29 Jun 2025 at 11:46 am new

Moonah wrote:

Supafreak how do you think something like that proposed development in Lombok would work out in the long run?

Being Muslim and not Hindu like Bali I’m guessing it’s not going to have the same vibe as Bali?

I understand where you’re coming from. I haven’t really explored Lombok besides desert point in the late 80s and a few trips around 2010. People I know that have lived there for 20 + years love it . A mate no longer bothers with DP as it’s simply too crowded but there’s other options if you care to look . It’s like a lot of places in indo at the moment where the acceleration of development is worrying. Sumba has an interesting culture and the government has spent up big on infrastructure as far as roads go. You would hope that these new developments learn from the mistakes of infrastructure in southern Bali . You have to be very brave to invest in indo , the big players use other people’s money or like the Saudi king , have money to burn .

Supafreak Monday, 30 Jun 2025 at 02:19 am new

Here we go again . Nothing better than a long flight followed by a long bus ride / train ride / helicopter. North Bali’s black sand beaches don’t really attract the crowds. With not many large resorts ( yet ) will most be willing to fly in then travel south ? I thought they might have built it at Canggu .

andy-mac Monday, 30 Jun 2025 at 06:19 am new

Supafreak wrote:

Here we go again . Nothing better than a long flight followed by a long bus ride / train ride / helicopter. North Bali’s black sand beaches don’t really attract the crowds. With not many large resorts ( yet ) will most be willing to fly in then travel south ? I thought they might have built it at Canggu . https://www.instagram.com/p/DLee80CSQ-r/?igsh=dmljMW5yeWtjcTlk

Believe it when I see it!

Spent a fair bit of time on North Coast.
Pre sept 11 and aftrr, Lovina was a bustling little back pack centre with many usingit as their first stop in bali after coming over land from Java.
Never really bounced back after September 11, then bali bomb and when indo changed visa from 60 days on arrival. 30 days not long enough to do Java and bali properly so killed that market.
Black sand beaches but some great diving / snorkelling in area. Beautiful villages , water falls near by such as Munduk, Sekumpul. Good for influencer crew . Pft.

If you didn't surf it definitely has some great aspects, but if it gets busy and over developed, then those attractions are lost.

Saying that have not been up that way since 2012...

Roystein Monday, 30 Jun 2025 at 04:11 pm new

Went up there a couple of years ago and loved it for the fact it was quiet. If it blows up wouldn’t go back.

Ash Monday, 30 Jun 2025 at 04:34 pm new

It'd be nice if they got on with it. It would definitely split the load at Negara Rai and the crowds in the south of Bali. Not every tourist wants to surf.

Supafreak Tuesday, 1 Jul 2025 at 08:03 am new

Look mum no hands . There would have been some freaked out passengers on that landing .

Supafreak Thursday, 3 Jul 2025 at 12:33 pm new

Hard to believe only 4 found alive so far . There’s a lot of boats in this area at any given time . 2 meter swell that day.

Moonah Thursday, 3 Jul 2025 at 01:25 pm new

How many can swim though? Probably not many.

Supafreak Thursday, 3 Jul 2025 at 01:50 pm new

Moonah wrote:

How many can swim though? Probably not many.

I doubt any can swim but a vessel that size would have life jackets . Mandatory now .

Moonah Thursday, 3 Jul 2025 at 03:16 pm new

Ah gotcha. But none wearing them? They’d all be alive wouldn’t they if they were?
I’ve got the ferry across there a few times and like you say it’s such a busy passage of water it seems crazy there hasn’t been more people found.
I remember making sure to get out of the van down below and stay up on the deck during each crossing in case something like this happens. Very sad.

seaslug Thursday, 3 Jul 2025 at 06:17 pm new

Trying to spot people overboard is extremely extremely difficult from a vessel without visual markers and at night is neigh impossible unless you run into them on a search vessel especially in seas with swell and current. Mandatory....most probably locked up to prevent theft SF. Fucking tragic again, Indonesian Maritime Industry...

Supafreak Saturday, 5 Jul 2025 at 08:12 am new

Going to be a very expensive day out .

sypkan Sunday, 6 Jul 2025 at 09:58 pm new

seaslug wrote:

Wow SF, that's how you killed, he's got off lightly.

I'm not sure he did actually

as the story becomes clearer, seems old mate first smashing the car with his helmet ran up the back of them

in the normal world, that's his fault

but it's bali... and if there's a dollar to be extorted out of bule... well...

obviously they should have stopped, but seems they were shitting themselves

and then a classic case of...

'that escalated quickly'

Island Bay Monday, 7 Jul 2025 at 12:27 pm new

Hey guys. Some advice, please.

The missus and I are off to Bali again next week, have almost two weeks on the cliffs above Impossibles.
I usually surf Impossibles when it's big, mixed with a bit of Ulus and Balangan.

Forecast looks pretty insane, and I'm not at all worried about missing out on 2-3ft busy Bingin, so I'm tempted to pack the following two boards: 6'10 and 8'6 Desert Storm. The 6'10 DS is incredible there on good to solid days, and I would love to get a few proper sessions on the 8'6.

Am I tripping?

Ray Shirlaw Monday, 7 Jul 2025 at 12:41 pm new

You would have to be for even asking this question

I focus Monday, 7 Jul 2025 at 12:51 pm new

"I would love to get a few proper sessions on the 8'6."

Sounds like a good plan to me as long as it gets on the flight.

andy-mac Monday, 7 Jul 2025 at 01:03 pm new

Island Bay wrote:

Hey guys. Some advice, please.

The missus and I are off to Bali again next week, have almost two weeks on the cliffs above Impossibles.

I usually surf Impossibles when it's big, mixed with a bit of Ulus and Balangan.

Forecast looks pretty insane, and I'm not at all worried about missing out on 2-3ft busy Bingin, so I'm tempted to pack the following two boards: 6'10 and 8'6 Desert Storm. The 6'10 DS is incredible there on good to solid days, and I would love to get a few proper sessions on the 8'6.

Am I tripping?

8'6 ulu bombie or Outside corner...
Loving life.

Island Bay Monday, 7 Jul 2025 at 01:22 pm new

Cheers.

Will keep an eye on charts, then make up my mind. 8'0 Keogh could be on option, too.

freeride76 Monday, 7 Jul 2025 at 02:21 pm new

If Outside Corner is firing- go get it IB.

Moonah Monday, 7 Jul 2025 at 03:06 pm new

Keep us updated @IB.
I’m
Over there at the end of the month. Hopefully this forecast swell run keeps up.

Supafreak Monday, 7 Jul 2025 at 04:13 pm new

Island Bay wrote:

Cheers.

Will keep an eye on charts, then make up my mind. 8'0 Keogh could be on option, too.

Some are saying this will be the biggest swell so far this year . Surfed with a bloke at the wreck on the last decent swell who day before was at ulus and said it was solid 8ft + and only 6 out at the bombie . I think the 8’6 would be a good choice. Looks like from Wednesday afternoon forward a couple good weeks of swell so nicely timed . Enjoy . Plenty of clips on YouTube of last few swells at Ulu’s .

Dumai Monday, 7 Jul 2025 at 04:15 pm new

sypkan wrote:

seaslug wrote:

Wow SF, that's how you killed, he's got off lightly.

I'm not sure he did actually

as the story becomes clearer, seems old mate first smashing the car with his helmet ran up the back of them

in the normal world, that's his fault

but it's bali... and if there's a dollar to be extorted out of bule... well...

obviously they should have stopped, but seems they were shitting themselves

and then a classic case of...

'that escalated quickly'

Yep ,that’s exactly what happened
Javanese guy trying it on.
Best not to jump the gun,lucky the rocks didn’t come out ay .

Join the conversation Sign up for free OR Login