I love Bali

Supafreak Monday, 7 Jul 2025 at 04:55 pm new

@IB , are you here by Thursday ? If you have facebook, change location to Bali in market place settings, there has been some nice guns lately from brand new dylan 9’2chumbo for 9million rp and a really nice 8’6 christenson sicario for 8.5 millionrp plus others. IMG-2165. https://www.facebook.com/share/17wfVJ4it2/?mibextid=wwXIfr you could always leave it there for next time. …..edit ……looks like the sicario has gone but there’s also this one . https://www.facebook.com/share/1CAMiBxkYg/?mibextid=wwXIfr

poo-man Monday, 7 Jul 2025 at 04:54 pm new

Hey IB, if you're on Air NZ I've just had a few issues recently with over 8 foot (2.5m). I fly with boards a lot and have never previously but just keep in mind. I'd take the 8'0 max.

Island Bay Monday, 7 Jul 2025 at 05:17 pm new

More good advice! Cheers, gents.

Yeah, never flown with anything over 8'0, but AirNZ are usually so good with boards. Might give them a ring.
Would love to bring the Keogh, but I'm shit scared of it getting mangled. Only one flight, though, so should be ok, and it's not a wallhanger.

I focus Monday, 7 Jul 2025 at 06:31 pm new

Wasn't there footage of some one riding a 8'6" DS at size Balangan?

More tubes please Monday, 7 Jul 2025 at 07:18 pm new

Hey IB,

I was in Bali last month and stayed on the cliff overlooking Impossibles for a week with my wife and 2 year old. Had impossibles between 4-6ft plus everyday and also surfed ulus a couple of times around the same size. Rode a 6 ‘8 MOTE channel bottom twinny and a 7’2 Keogh Hazquad on the big days. Had an absolute blast. The Keogh really loved that last wide peak at impossibles when it was over 6ft, the peak down towards Bingin.

As others have said, be very sure to read the fine print for oversized baggage max length. We flew Jetstar from Brisbane, and they weren’t going to let my board bag on the flight because it was 10cm over the 230cm limit (It was a 7’6 O and E Coffin). They ended up letting it on cause my biggest board was 7’2 and I argued that the extra length could be packed down.

I think Jetstar are using a new plane which brings down the oversize baggage limits significantly. Others weren’t as lucky as me and had to leave boards behind.

poo-man Monday, 7 Jul 2025 at 07:47 pm new

The A320s have small container sizes. The 787 out of Auckland to Bali direct is generally sweet with bigger luggage room and it was just a couple of circumstances I've come across recently within NZ where they were previously quite lax about it and started getting the tape measure out. Forget flying domestically on an ATR now if your bag is over 2m. They won't take it haha

poo-man Monday, 7 Jul 2025 at 07:49 pm new

Enjoy IB, I stayed on the cliff last winter above impossibles with my wife and had only surfed that place twice in 25 years. Always went Ulus or Bingin previously but found myself having a ball out there. Enjoyed it immensely!

Ray Shirlaw Monday, 7 Jul 2025 at 08:26 pm new

I focus wrote:

Wasn't there footage of some one riding a 8'6" DS at size Balangan?

Yes maybe Heavy Duty Balangan July 19 2018 youtube

Supafreak Monday, 7 Jul 2025 at 09:47 pm new

Garuda definitely the best airline when it comes to boards . In addition to 20 kg domestic and 30 kg international , they have free sporting equipment for 1 piece of luggage that doesn’t exceed 23 kg and 300cm . A friend recently flew to Padang and his board bag was 27kg , check in staff didn’t pull him up for being 4 kg over on sports equipment. Another friend just flew from Sydney and her 2 children weren’t charged adult fare . Her ticket was $390 and the kids were $280 each one way . That’s cheaper than Jetstar, plus free meal and drinks .

Supafreak Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 04:59 am new

Dumai wrote:

sypkan wrote:
seaslug wrote:

Wow SF, that's how you killed, he's got off lightly.

I'm not sure he did actually

as the story becomes clearer, seems old mate first smashing the car with his helmet ran up the back of them

in the normal world, that's his fault

but it's bali... and if there's a dollar to be extorted out of bule... well...

obviously they should have stopped, but seems they were shitting themselves

and then a classic case of...

'that escalated quickly'

Yep ,that’s exactly what happened

Javanese guy trying it on.

Best not to jump the gun,lucky the rocks didn’t come out ay .

Island Bay Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 07:30 am new

Found a bargain on a solid 8ft double board bag. Bringing the 8'0 Keogh Hazgun and 6'10 DS. Yeeeeew!

Supafreak Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 07:52 am new

Island Bay wrote:

Found a bargain on a solid 8ft double board bag. Bringing the 8'0 Keogh Hazgun and 6'10 DS. Yeeeeew!

Awesome, hopefully you don’t get farked around by this . Another good reason to fly Garuda . In the good old bad old days , Garuda used to go NZ - Brisbane -Bali , free turps had most plastered on arrival . https://apnews.com/article/mount-lewotobi-laki-laki-volcano-eruption-e2….

Island Bay Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 07:58 am new

Can't do anything about that except cross your fingers :-)

Supafreak Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 08:06 am new

What day are you coming ? Swell hits Wednesday afternoon and Thursday will be big .

freeride76 Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 08:48 am new

All the best with it IB.

My brother in G-land right now getting some warm-up laps in before the swell hits.

Supafreak Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 08:56 am new
Island Bay Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 08:58 am new

Not until 16 July, Supy (though may change flights). Looks like two good swells after that, especially a beast 23 July onwards.

Cheers, FR. G-Land next year :-)

So amped to ride the Keogh. It may come up short on the biggest days, but it's such a fast and drivey board. Will be a dream on bigger Indo waves.

udo Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 09:05 am new

Pool Noodle Wrap that J.K. thing of Beauty for its Flight

Supafreak Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 09:12 am new
goofyfoot Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 09:45 am new

Island Bay wrote:

Not until 16 July, Supy (though may change flights). Looks like two good swells after that, especially a beast 23 July onwards.

Cheers, FR. G-Land next year :-)

So amped to ride the Keogh. It may come up short on the biggest days, but it's such a fast and drivey board. Will be a dream on bigger Indo waves.

Hey Ib - what are you seeing from 23rd onwards? I land that day.
Looks like you’re in for a treat!

Supafreak Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 09:48 am new

@GF , bit far out but could be a ripper . IMG-2173

goofyfoot Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 10:05 am new

Thanks supa. Saw that on the forecast. Probably going to move around a bit before then though hey. Although I have found the long range Indo forecasts to be very accurate in the past
I thought Ib might have had a top secret forecast he’s looking at.
Hope you been getting a few!

Island Bay Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 10:24 am new

GF, just a variety of open internet sources. No magic/secret sauce.

Good luck, and say hi if you see an old man on a yellow Keogh.

Supafreak Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 10:26 am new

goofyfoot wrote:

Thanks supa. Saw that on the forecast. Probably going to move around a bit before then though hey. Although I have found the long range Indo forecasts to be very accurate in the past

I thought Ib might have had a top secret forecast he’s looking at.

Hope you been getting a few!

Been small here last 4 days and school holidays crowd so haven’t bothered, plus have daughter for a month . Yeah those long range normally get downgraded but if saying 10ft now will possibly only be downgraded to 8ft . Some expat friends have been complaining that we haven’t had a big swell this year but I’m not complaining as it’s been fairly consistent and I’m not chasing 10-12 ft . Hope ya score . AW has currently no internet but arrives here on 11th so he’s walking into swell .

Supafreak Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 10:43 am new

I brought a impact spring suit the other day , ended up getting a vissla as the Patagonia one was 11,099,000 rp ( $600 in Australia ) got it delivered to vissla surf shop on Lembongan 2,999,000 rp . Big difference in price, the Patagonia pads are bigger diameter, especially the lower back . Vissla was easier to get in & out , wish they had a back zip entrance. https://au.vissla.com/products/mw22wiss-heavy-seas-impact-2-2-spring-bl…

udo Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 11:34 am new
seaslug Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 11:52 am new

I arrive in Kandooma 22nd July SF, looking like swell as well :)

goofyfoot Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 11:58 am new

[quote=udo]Ulu to G.Land

Nice achievement - but I kind of feel like he’s talking this up for the movie a bit. Is it “extremely dangerous” if you’ve got a boat next to you the whole time? And it’s all over in 4.5 hours…
I’m probably being a negative knobhead but feels like an Instagram stunt just to get likes to me.

goofyfoot Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 12:14 pm new

Island Bay wrote:

GF, just a variety of open internet sources. No magic/secret sauce.

Good luck, and say hi if you see an old man on a yellow Keogh.

I’ll keep the eyes peeled Ib.

Island Bay Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 01:38 pm new

Re online visa, I just saw that you have to provide 3 month bank statement! That's bizarre, and something I'm not keen on doing. What gives?

Supafreak Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 03:15 pm new

Island Bay wrote:

Re online visa, I just saw that you have to provide 3 month bank statement! That's bizarre, and something I'm not keen on doing. What gives?

Just get the VOA , you will have to wait for Surfboards anyway

Island Bay Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 03:56 pm new

Are the queues horrendous for the VOA?

Supafreak Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 04:03 pm new

Island Bay wrote:

Are the queues horrendous for the VOA?

From what I’ve seen it just depends on how many flights come in at same time , it’s now with a smart passport and online visa about 30 seconds to go through immigration, getting VOA and then stamped passport obviously longer again depending on how many international flights arrive at the time .

Island Bay Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 04:05 pm new

Thanks, Supy

freeride76 Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 05:29 pm new

took about 30mins last time I did it.

But we waited for boards for longer.

Island Bay Tuesday, 8 Jul 2025 at 05:35 pm new

Turns out the bank statement thing was only for 60 day visas

Supafreak Wednesday, 9 Jul 2025 at 10:30 am new

Supafreak wrote:

@GF , bit far out but could be a ripper . IMG-2173

Models playing silly buggers again, Craig’s report on July 3 had him talking about models combining swells and giving false reading, it’s why I pay more attention to his notes than anything else . There’s been swells past where it’s said 4-6 ft and Craigs notes have said 8ft bombs at the magnet’s, sure enough I’ve had those bombs on the head . IMG-2209

swellsam Tuesday, 15 Jul 2025 at 01:01 pm new

I'm off to bali for 2 weeks this friday. First time travelling overseas to surf, I'm 19. Swell looks very solid along the Bukit, which is where I'll be for the first week. 3m @ 18 seconds, quite south @ 205 degrees. I'd consider myself a competent surfer, but surfing a new spot along reef at this size is a bit scary, and would rather not snap my leggy and conquer the paddle out without having experience at ulus already.

My question is, how much does size decrease the further north you head along the Bukit? Can i expect some 4 foot more user friendly (compared to ulus, still solid but more manageable) impossibles or balangan when ulus bombie and outside corner is 8 foot and for the chargers on big boards only? I guess too much swell can be a good problem to have, or at least I'd rather have too much swell than no swell at all. Cheers!

More tubes please Tuesday, 15 Jul 2025 at 01:11 pm new

swellsam wrote:

I'm off to bali for 2 weeks this friday. First time travelling overseas to surf, I'm 19. Swell looks very solid along the Bukit, which is where I'll be for the first week. 3m @ 18 seconds, quite south @ 205 degrees. I'd consider myself a competent surfer, but surfing a new spot along reef at this size is a bit scary, and would rather not snap my leggy and conquer the paddle out without having experience at ulus already.

My question is, how much does size decrease the further north you head along the Bukit? Can i expect some 4 foot more user friendly (compared to ulus, still solid but more manageable) impossibles or balangan when ulus bombie and outside corner is 8 foot and for the chargers on big boards only? I guess too much swell can be a good problem to have, or at least I'd rather have too much swell than no swell at all. Cheers!

Impossibles is your friend!

Bnkref Tuesday, 15 Jul 2025 at 02:38 pm new

Impossibles and Balangan are more user friendly but if it’s 8ft at Ulus it’ll be quite solid at those spots and they still pack a punch.

Have a look and if you’re not sure, wait for it to settle down.

Bnkref Tuesday, 15 Jul 2025 at 02:41 pm new

Also, have fun. First trip - so good.

seeds Tuesday, 15 Jul 2025 at 03:10 pm new

Have a blast young fella. Don’t do drugs and only drink beer.
And water!!!!

soggydog Tuesday, 15 Jul 2025 at 04:02 pm new

seeds wrote:

Have a blast young fella. Don’t do drugs and only drink beer.

And water!!!!

“But not from a tap, or your arse will become the tap.”
Ancient SE Asian philosophy.

seeds Tuesday, 15 Jul 2025 at 05:03 pm new

Bottled water young fella!!!!!!!!

basesix Tuesday, 15 Jul 2025 at 05:17 pm new

and just to add to the old blokes who are stoked for you, but hope you take care..
don't pull a Bodhi Risby-Jones !! 'spensive and 'barrassing ; )
https://www.swellnet.com/comment/894587
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-06/bodhi-risby-jones-released-from-…

seeds Tuesday, 15 Jul 2025 at 05:18 pm new

He’ll be right. Surely he hasn’t got parents as stupid to name their kid Bodhi.

basesix Tuesday, 15 Jul 2025 at 05:21 pm new

that's cheeky @seeds, is that a dig at my daughter Bodhrán ?
Geez, careful meeting swillnutters, they use shit against ya!

seeds Tuesday, 15 Jul 2025 at 05:25 pm new

Not at all
A dig at anyone naming a kid after a movie character
Lazy parenting

mattlock Tuesday, 15 Jul 2025 at 05:29 pm new

I do believe it is a tree Seeds.

seeds Tuesday, 15 Jul 2025 at 05:37 pm new

Yes
Siddhartha Gautama‘s tree
But people naming their kid that are doing it from the movie character
Just like people naming their kid Taj are naming them after Taj Burrows who’s parents named him after Taj Mahal an American blues player who wasn’t even called Taj

Join the conversation Sign up for free OR Login