I love Bali

andy-mac Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 08:45 am new

wavie wrote:

havent been in about 10 years, best memories were having sunset beers at uncle slams bar at kuta beach, every time I went always seemed to be the same people there supporting the same locals was always one of the highlights of my trip. now I heard you have to buy a chair to even sit at the beach now... crazy

One area that hasn't seemed to have changed too much is the Seminyak/ Legian stretch. Was staying there last Sept and if anything the roads seem the same or quieter than back in 2014. Also still great to have a sunset beer on beach, good vibe and scene.
Still has the beach bar thing going on and the sidewalk they have built along beach seems to work well.

Had some fun beachies also, but not the surf you go to Indo for.

Moonah Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 08:57 am new

juegasiempre wrote:

Bingin was already on the Crossfit/vegan cafe/co working space when I was there in 2022 but that sucks that everything is getting destroyed.

I don't think I'm ever going back. That whole island is a corrupt, floating landfill. The locals are awesome as well so I really feel for them.

I’ve got young kids and I can’t wait to take them on their first trip to Bali.

Yeah it’s not the same as 10 years ago but for a reasonably cheap overseas family holiday that’s a short flight, epic food, amazing locals, warm water and weather for kids…. Can’t beat it.

Island Bay Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 09:33 am new

https://imgur.com/a/iFAdnwh

Did that work, basesix? Best light I could find, and most posters have been torn down.

Also, for some reason I can’t find the Imgur share links on my phone.

wavie Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 10:01 am new

Moonah][quote=juegasiempre wrote:

Bingin was already on the Crossfit/vegan cafe/co working space when I was there in 2022 but that sucks that everything is getting destroyed.

I don't think I'm ever going back. That whole island is a corrupt, floating landfill. The locals are awesome as well so I really feel for them.

is it still cheap though ? I've had mates come back and say its almost on par as here in Aus. but i guess it depends where you go. every time I went I stay at sayang maha mertha hotel for $12 a night $18 if Iwanted air con. and always budgeted $100 a day which would cover every meal and and drinks if I went out at night. can you still do that ?.

I have a whole family now just doesn't seem like it could be a cheap over seas holiday these days

Island Bay Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 10:06 am new

You can still have Nadi goreng and a mixed juice for $6.not sure about cheap accommodation

burleigh Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 10:15 am new

wavie][quote=Moonah wrote:

juegasiempre wrote:

Bingin was already on the Crossfit/vegan cafe/co working space when I was there in 2022 but that sucks that everything is getting destroyed.

I don't think I'm ever going back. That whole island is a corrupt, floating landfill. The locals are awesome as well so I really feel for them.

is it still cheap though ? I've had mates come back and say its almost on par as here in Aus. but i guess it depends where you go. every time I went I stay at sayang maha mertha hotel for $12 a night $18 if Iwanted air con. and always budgeted $100 a day which would cover every meal and and drinks if I went out at night. can you still do that ?.

I have a whole family now just doesn't seem like it could be a cheap over seas holiday these days

Eat local, its still cheap. Ive heard people saying that in some places beers are more expensive than Australian pubs.

Moonah Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 10:20 am new

wavie][quote=Moonah wrote:

juegasiempre wrote:

Bingin was already on the Crossfit/vegan cafe/co working space when I was there in 2022 but that sucks that everything is getting destroyed.

I don't think I'm ever going back. That whole island is a corrupt, floating landfill. The locals are awesome as well so I really feel for them.

is it still cheap though ? I've had mates come back and say its almost on par as here in Aus. but i guess it depends where you go. every time I went I stay at sayang maha mertha hotel for $12 a night $18 if Iwanted air con. and always budgeted $100 a day which would cover every meal and and drinks if I went out at night. can you still do that ?.

I have a whole family now just doesn't seem like it could be a cheap over seas holiday these days

I’m talking cheap relative to any other overseas holiday. Where would be cheaper? Maybe Vietnam?

I was eating down near where the boats head out to Kuta reef last time and staying in Tuban and food was delicious local food mixed with western, we stayed in a nice hotel near the water and yeah compared to an Oz holiday it’s still cheaper.
It would cost more to go to the Gold Coast for two weeks than Bali imo.

fitzroy-21 Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 10:20 am new

Agree, I can still feed the family, 2 adults & 2 teenagers, at local warungs for under $20AUD per sitting.

Island Bay Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 10:26 am new

On the other hand, there’s now exceptionally good food at almost western prices. Ms IB shouted us an incredible dinner the other day: two starters, two great cocktails, two mains with proper beer, and two desserts.
$100, but it was proper fine dining, and something we’ll remember for a long time. Ate for two hours, Ulu Garden, just before the Ulus turnoff.

basesix Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 10:36 am new

Island Bay wrote:

https://imgur.com/a/iFAdnwh

Did that work, basesix? Best light I could find, and most posters have been torn down.

Also, for some reason I can’t find the Imgur share links on my phone.

awesome, mate! Nicely done. May your Keogh never pressure ding, and your waves be ever ribbit and bauble free!
.
https://i.ibb.co/7xqgkS1g/bingin-off.jpg

Island Bay Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 10:57 am new

Great! Happy to help out :-)

No more baubles!

amb Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 11:00 am new

Just returned from Bingin, so sad to see that white palace type building getting sledged hammered, over the years the locals have spent so much time and effort building and artistically painting it, noted they had finished the glass pool hanging out and people swimming in (not something i would of done, construction looked close to solid but not quite!) Also feel sorry for Kellys warung , they must of spent some reasonably big dollars doing that up a few years back (assuming thats getting torn down as well?). Also if your a foreigner even how passionate you are about this dont partake in the protests, you will be arrested and deported. So sad but thanks for the memories RIP Bingin.

Supafreak Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 11:54 am new

I haven’t surfed boring bingin since the late 80s , plenty of fond memories. It really was the road from hell to get down there , then walk in . I gave a pair of runners to Made my board carrier and he started crying in gratitude as he didn’t own any . His feet were as wide as they were long so I’m not sure how he went in them . IMG-2306
IMG-2307
IMG-2308
IMG-2309

udo Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 02:42 pm new
amb Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 03:32 pm new

some great pics Supa, jeez what a shitshow thats going to be Udu. Why couldnt they knock down that stinking hotel at dreamland instead, maybe clean the river up as well.

Island Bay Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 03:34 pm new

That’s the big empty paddock above Dreamland

Moonah Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 03:36 pm new

Supafreak wrote:

I haven’t surfed boring bingin since the late 80s , plenty of fond memories. It really was the road from hell to get down there , then walk in . I gave a pair of runners to Made my board carrier and he started crying in gratitude as he didn’t own any . His feet were as wide as they were long so I’m not sure how he went in them . IMG-2306

IMG-2307

IMG-2308

IMG-2309

Wonder how all those kids are going now supafreak.
If that’s late 80’s they’d probably be around my age.

basesix Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 04:00 pm new

Moonah wrote:

Wonder how all those kids are going now supafreak.

If that’s late 80’s they’d probably be around my age.

yeh, shots like that make you reflect, don't they @moonah? Could Aussies have done a LOT better by the beautiful balinese soul? Growing up, I was around academics that loved Indo, many special grom visits...

the time I went there after the bali bombings I was sooo relieved to see japanese, etc filling the spaces in the hotels left vacant by aussies, who for decades had told Bali to expect aussies to always come and for them to build their dreams around it.

I don't know I'll be back. I wanted to share Bali with my kids. never done it. Couple of times solo in the last years, on my way to UK.. felt odd.. same same, but different. And rapidly declining. More Balinese looked tired than I'd ever seen. Grimy, sweaty and tired. Heartbreaking.

Interesting time for us all to watch a thing like modern-Bali happen. Influencers and white devils need to take their privilege seriously, and make sure they love any place they visit long time. Or not at all. I'll give that one to @indo-dreaming. Blowins are fucked and should carry mild shame and humility with them, until invited to not do so by a local. Standard. Basic. Central Aussie knows it, Indo knows it. Fly-by-night tourism is for the bucket-list, bucket-hat entitled 'takers'.

amb Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 04:03 pm new

@basesix i go to Bali regularly, places i go Aussies are the minority these days, mostly Euros (heaps of Russians), followed by Americans, Japansese, Korean, surprised that Sth Aficans can afford it looking at the xrate. Got lost out the back of Canggu my god you should see the residential development out there and massive health retreat, this paddle tennis sport obviously popular with the euro's.

basesix Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 04:15 pm new

yeh, I really want it to still be beautiful @amb, I used to base in Ubud for a month, then scoot about the coast with friends.. my gamelan teacher would store our stuff at his place in his nearby village.. I met him when the Mahabharata was performed in an Adelaide quarry, and he was the go to dramaturge. Legend.

I just feel Australia could have been the dominant outsider culture to good effect for Bali.. if we were good. Feels like an acid test, we chose Kuta drinking over Amed walking, en masse..

People on here seem to think there's still Bali to be found, which is heartening.. and if not, Lombok, Rote, Sumba, there's degrees of the turd-dropping, and you can escape it, I'm sure. Just feel a bit of culture guilt, like a SoCal might about Tijuana..

andy-mac Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 04:15 pm new

Supafreak wrote:

I haven’t surfed boring bingin since the late 80s , plenty of fond memories. It really was the road from hell to get down there , then walk in . I gave a pair of runners to Made my board carrier and he started crying in gratitude as he didn’t own any . His feet were as wide as they were long so I’m not sure how he went in them . IMG-2306

IMG-2307

IMG-2308

IMG-2309

Great pics supa.

Bobby's left.....

RIP Bingin...

Island Bay Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 05:42 pm new

Got a few photos of that warung from ‘88.

Somehow found my way down there, surfed with the same 4 Aussies most of the time. Sometimes I was alone, and would walk the coast Padang to Balangan cliff after a surf. Formative experience for a young Danish kook.

Will look for photos when back in NZ

udo Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 06:08 pm new

A Beautiful Spot back then...Then a Few Yrs Later Agro Locals .

AlfredWallace Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 08:06 pm new

Island Bay wrote:

Great! Happy to help out :-)

No more baubles!

Whatever happened to the Golden Casket shop ? Benny Baubles, Sammy Glitter and Leo The Watch King ?
I’m very sorry, I just crack up every time I see the word baubles. Throw back to the late 70’s and early 80’s, Melbourne retail outlets. AW

Rochko B Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 08:43 pm new

Hadn't been to Bali in 15 years. Saw the good forecast couple weeks ago, told my boss I'd be back in 10 days. Stayed at Impossible Cliff House until the hammers came down. The protest was very moving. The waves don't change. New cycle. Incredible surf juggling between Impossibles and Bingin. 3 trips to the local repair magician. Got to surf a 7'6 Outer flextail in proper waves. I love Bali.

freeride76 Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 08:46 pm new

I was surprised how rootsy Tuban was last time I was there.

Still get a cheap, cold Bintang coming in off a late surf at Middles.

Moonah Tuesday, 22 Jul 2025 at 09:11 pm new

basesix wrote:

Moonah wrote:

Wonder how all those kids are going now supafreak.

If that’s late 80’s they’d probably be around my age.

yeh, shots like that make you reflect, don't they @moonah? Could Aussies have done a LOT better by the beautiful balinese soul? Growing up, I was around academics that loved Indo, many special grom visits...

the time I went there after the bali bombings I was sooo relieved to see japanese, etc filling the spaces in the hotels left vacant by aussies, who for decades had told Bali to expect aussies to always come and for them to build their dreams around it.

I don't know I'll be back. I wanted to share Bali with my kids. never done it. Couple of times solo in the last years, on my way to UK.. felt odd.. same same, but different. And rapidly declining. More Balinese looked tired than I'd ever seen. Grimy, sweaty and tired. Heartbreaking.

Interesting time for us all to watch a thing like modern-Bali happen. Influencers and white devils need to take their privilege seriously, and make sure they love any place they visit long time. Or not at all. I'll give that one to @indo-dreaming. Blowins are fucked and should carry mild shame and humility with them, until invited to not do so by a local. Standard. Basic. Central Aussie knows it, Indo knows it. Fly-by-night tourism is for the bucket-list, bucket-hat entitled 'takers'.

Sure do base, they made me stop and think for a while.

simba Wednesday, 23 Jul 2025 at 06:58 am new

This from Craigs article above
One local government chair said the buildings "hurt the Balinese architectural philosophy that prioritises harmony with nature, culture, and spirituality".
Ha what a joke that was fukked up years ago just look at the monstrosity at dreamland......gunna be another at Bingin by the looks of it......crime against nature

Island Bay Wednesday, 23 Jul 2025 at 09:31 am new

Conditions update:

Paddled out pre dawn at Bingin and caught two tiny waves, before tide totally swamped it.
Flat now. All good things must end.

flow Wednesday, 23 Jul 2025 at 11:05 am new

You might have to hit Ulus today IB

Island Bay Wednesday, 23 Jul 2025 at 11:52 am new

Thought of it, Flow. Reckon it might be a 2-3ft zoo.

May stick to Cormac McCarthy and Sampoernas.

flow Wednesday, 23 Jul 2025 at 12:16 pm new

Yes, Better for the mental health.

udo Wednesday, 23 Jul 2025 at 12:26 pm new

And Surfboard Health.

Supafreak Wednesday, 23 Jul 2025 at 01:18 pm new

Island Bay wrote:

Thought of it, Flow. Reckon it might be a 2-3ft zoo.

May stick to Cormac McCarthy and Sampoernas.

Headhigh to overhead up here this morning, slow then would pulse for 20 minutes, paddling out in dark with AW this morning, nice conditions but wind came up at 8.30 , still only light but left it to the local grommets .

Island Bay Wednesday, 23 Jul 2025 at 01:32 pm new

Nice one Supy.
That place is an absolute magnet, especially considering it faces NE

Supafreak Wednesday, 23 Jul 2025 at 01:43 pm new

Island Bay wrote:

Nice one Supy.

That place is an absolute magnet, especially considering it faces NE

It was different watching an awesome sunrise over sumartra with volcanoes in the distance looking out to sea , yesterday arvo stayed out until dark and sunset over the land behind us, its the other way around on Lembongan .

tylerdurden Friday, 25 Jul 2025 at 10:09 am new

Finns Club got their eyes on the Bingin Cliff?
Tony Smith bought Mick’s place a couple of years ago

Island Bay Friday, 25 Jul 2025 at 10:09 am new

Overcast, light rain, tiny surf. Not exactly dry season stuff :-)

Island Bay Friday, 25 Jul 2025 at 01:43 pm new

Had coffee with Kong today. Well, not quite, but at the same cafe. Still counts, aye.

Supafreak Friday, 25 Jul 2025 at 01:59 pm new

Island Bay wrote:

Overcast, light rain, tiny surf. Not exactly dry season stuff :-)

Only a few head high single wave sets this morning , mellow land only crowd of 12 , swell coming but going to be bit too much south for here , bright side is boats will go elsewhere. Looks like some rain heading our way also . How much longer do you have IB ?

Island Bay Friday, 25 Jul 2025 at 02:21 pm new

Sounds pleasant.

We fly home Sunday arvo. Saturday arvo and Sunday morning could be good.

Supafreak Friday, 25 Jul 2025 at 02:35 pm new

Island Bay wrote:

Sounds pleasant.

We fly home Sunday arvo. Saturday arvo and Sunday morning could be good.

Yes I think you will get another fix to hold you over for awhile .

Island Bay Friday, 25 Jul 2025 at 05:54 pm new

Unexpected super bonus this arvo. Models had a new, small long period swell slowly ramping up this arvo, but I was skeptical.

Paddled out for some mini gliding, but struggled to get 1ft runners at top of reef. Hoping for a bit more luck I drifted to the end section, and fuck me that new swell hit! All of a sudden 3ft drainers, and only me out.

Little super shallow barrels, held up by string trades. Epic!

poo-man Friday, 25 Jul 2025 at 06:04 pm new

Nice to have the warm break IB. I'm sure you've seen but we had a 5 or 6 day run at home this week that was quite epic. Bali like on a couple of days too. I got amongst it most days and looked indo like at times

Island Bay Friday, 25 Jul 2025 at 06:10 pm new

So good to hear you got some poo-man. Yep, saw the photos and videos and it looked all time. Good on you.

This was the best quality Impossibles I’ve ever surfed, if far from proper size. So stoked and grateful.

poo-man Friday, 25 Jul 2025 at 06:13 pm new

Awesome. I'm there in 3 weeks too

udo Saturday, 26 Jul 2025 at 10:28 am new

Enter the Excavators . . .
https://thebalisun.com/bali-leaders-confirm-heavy-machinery-will-be-bou…

On Friday, July 25th, Suryanegara told reporters that the initial demolition work on iconic Bingin Beach tourist hangouts, including Kelly’s Warung, is nearly complete. With the end of the initial demotion in sight, leaders are now working to expedite the arrival of heavy machinery.

sypkan Saturday, 26 Jul 2025 at 08:16 pm new

plans are in

the concept anyway...

might be my prejudice shining through, and I don't really know about such things...

is that butt ugly russian architecture shining through?

very similar to plans for ones on south coast

apparently the same officials visited balangan yesterday, and I read same happening in lombok

could be all a push from new military prez. who seems to like rules and stuff...

and russian $$$

sypkan Saturday, 26 Jul 2025 at 08:19 pm new

actually looking closer at cliff, that looks a bit different to bingin, but fb goss said it's bingin

Join the conversation Sign up for free OR Login