More from Wax On
notadmin
said:
Predator on a mission. https://www.instagram.com/p/DM078olTQ4T/?igsh=MXRobDY0aml1amtuYQ==
Test Format
2
andy-mac
said:
[quote=basesix][quote=sypkan]
:..why the fuck would you come to Indonesia?
I love Bali
3139
Rochko B
said:
I have one in those dimensions; it's my favourite board. Instant connection and super carvy.
~ Spotted ~ Gumtree ~ Ebay ~ Facey ~
1395
truebluebasher
said:
Dedicated to Craig's Miraculous Boardswaps & Leggie Swaps
( Lost'n'Found Forward )
Distant memory Guns that resurfa
Miraculous board retrieval stories
11
Bnkref
said:
Romy has had some absolute gems the past few months. Today’s is exceptional.
I heart WOTD
4674
velocityjohnno
said:
https://www.surfer.com/news/orcas-attack-great-white-sharks-eat-liver-video
Shark Stories
1552
Well this thread has really nailed the Swellnet demographic. I expect to see some appropriate advertising in the very near future (Got my [good] eye on one of those fold-up canes with the in-built flashlight advertised on telly by James Evans Snr off Good Times).
Not to be too glib and/or facetious (moi?), this thread has brought to mind some of the positive poeticisms of the artist and philosopher Stephen Patrick Von Mozza.
"See the luck I've had...can make a good man turn bad"
"Chipped tip ugly-stik
on a rock-ledge desolate...
will Nature make a man of me yet?"
(I may have creatified that last one a tad)
Hang in, comrades.
Hey Stu, just echoing everyone else's good wishes here. Very much on a similar wavelength to dromodreamer, mundies and davetherave.
My next door neighbour at the holiday house, Barry McGuigan, surfed competitively up to his 80 years old. He died a couple of years ago but kept it together right up till the end. He was also heavily into yoga all his life.
Based on that I decided that I would like to be surfing as long as possible. Also, I'm just the worst non-active person you can imagine. Been involved in one or more sports all my life since growing up across the road from Hurstville oval. We would be out there every afternoon after school playing whatever was going. Have carried that through my adult years, surfing, squash, golf, touch footy etc, moving from one to the next as I get older and interests change. I'll just be the worst person to be around if I'm not moving freely.
Now 54, and in the last 5 years or so have been actively pursuing ideas around what I need to do to remain active as long as I can. Fact is that as you get older, body maintenance is going to take up more of your time. Accept it and work on it. Make time, make it happen.
Osteos are an interesting profession. If you find a good one, they will probably spend half or more of your first session just talking, trying to get a feel for where you're at and what is happening in your life. There is much to be said for the link between emotional states and physical outcomes. On the other hand, not as much as some make out. I am definitely not an advocate of the Louise Hay school of thought, that everything physical has an emotional meaning to it, but there is something there.
I'd advise everyone to be constantly monitoring themselves, emotionally and physically. How is your posture, how straight is your alignment, how is your state of mind? Don't let things get too out of whack before doing something about them. Early intervention is the best remedy. Patience though is also a virtue.
Good luck out there. Currently on day 4 of a rather debilitating flu. Remedy, my body telling me I need a rest. Doing nothing for a week is not easy for me, but that's what the body is ordering.
Two stories with two useful lessons:
Back in the 70s zoomed down to a beach break I'd surfed at its best the week before - essentially a shorebreak with an angle creating powerful Kirra like waves. It was on again. On about my third wave I wiped out in the end section and being a bit excited pushed quickly off the bottom up to standing ready to race out an get another one. My 7ft pintail appeared in my line of sight for an instant at head height, tail first and hit me with the full force of a well stretched black rubber legrope just below my nose. I can't remember pain just the jolt. So I paddled out to the other guys in the water and asked if there was any blood. He said "not much". So I felt around and stuck my fingers right in to feel the top of my gums through the hole.
I freaked a bit and paddled in and jumped in he car to drive home and get stitched up. It was a neat, deep crescent shaped cut below my nose. On the way home my shoulder became stiffer and stiffer to the point I could barely drive. Only then did I realize that the fin of my board had hit with major force into my shoulder probably saving me from the tail smashing bones and teeth.
I was very annoyed at missing the surf. Thankful for the fin saving me and surprised at how painful injections are in the lip area.
The lesson - ever since I have never raced back to the surface after a wipeout if I am not sure where my board is. This has saved me from numerous bangs of various seriousness I am sure (sometimes I have heard the smack on the water above me as I paused that extra second or so).
Injury story 2
Same beach on a day like Mexican pipeline at about 4-6 ft. A unique swell with lots of long tapers peeling through a powerful inside shorebreak bank on a sunny day with warm offshore winds. Pretty much only me on the beach. Well on one wave I took off and did a smart arse hand drag in the lip above my head feeling the texture and imitating a shot of Butch Cooney from an Aussie titles at Burleigh that was in the mags way back in the 70s. Big mistake. The lip lurched suddenly catching my arm at full stretch and forcing it back over my shoulder straining the tendons badly. I tried to paddle and catch more waves but simply could not and had to leave one of the best days ever empty and drive home one armed. The lesson - keep your arms low or lowish in a natural position - lips are powerful and unpredictable can rip your arm back easily - that is unless you are way below the lip and a camera is catching the style move to make it worth the risk.
Stunet,
ZHENG GU SHUI ,
It's a Chinese ointment, works wonders . Check it out/ might just get you back in the water.
"Zheng Gu Shui translates literally as 'fix bones water'", or so say Wikipedia. Reckon I might try myself some of the water Lanky D. Thanks for the heads up.
Gotta say, there's been some incredible advice and encouragement in this thread. Great reading...
All we have to do is read the words we write. When I write of hope I believe in it. maybe not at the time, but then if i did, why did i write it?
Definitely I feel john john unrepresented in the illness that created him the most naturally gifted on tour. He is the surfing equivalent of rain man. who see's that? only the people on tour?
science experiment. Deny john john through injury or something else. Ask him if he is angry? Dissapointed or whatever?
Stu, a mates wife had spurs on her hip, took over a year and a second opinion to diagnose. A fairly simple op to remove them and she's as right as rain.
"Spurs on her hip!" giddyup cowgirl.
Had a surf at Cactus once. 3 out on a nice 3-4 ft day and 2 locals came out. One was an angry man and said "Fuck off touro" to me. I had very hurt feelings. "Don't worry, I'll keep out of your way" came my pussy reply. Didn't even have anyone to give me a reassuring cuddle back at shore so had to tough it out.
Not in the league of some f these but anyway....
Was having a surf with VelocityJohnno many years ago on a bonzer copy he made me. Took off on a very late and steep drop at a break that didn't fire up very often. Screwed up the takeoff and managed to get my leg caught between the back fin and side fins during the wipeout and was dragged 50 - 60 metres underwater with my leg between the fins. Every time I tried to free my leg, it felt like it would break so I remember just holding my breath hoping the whitewater would peter out at some point and that I wouldn't drown or break my leg in the process.
Finally popped up, managed to free my leg. No break, a big bruise and calf problems for the next 3 or 4 months. It really played with me mentally for quite some time later on every time I had a late take off to contend with.
.
I had to have a fusion at s1-l5 and an artificial disc put in at l5-l4 at 43 yo. I'd been pretty fckd for about 3 years before and had had back issues from about 25. From about 18 months post surgery I was back to about 90% ... surfing back hand slab barrels etc (not very well) mostly without restriction. Hardest part (in relation to surfing) has been unlearning all the protective behaviour I'd generated from years of worrying I was gunna do my back again. Lemme know if anyone wants to know anything about the surgery etc. :-)
I just remembered one, paddled out supersuck on a 6-8 foot day with some bigger sets (it rarely gets over 4-6 foot for what its worth) during a lull but got caught inside just as i almost made it out. I paddled out near the outside tip but ended up down the end after about a 12 wave set. then i finally made it out the back and first wave didnt make a drop, landed crooked and felt my leash tear into my ankle bruising it and i couldnt surf after that.Didnt snap my leggy though.
I was kind of glad i had to go in actually as it was pretty damn heavy and theres no channel on those bigger days, commit to 300 metres of draining barrel ending in a closeout or dont go.
Also gudangs and smoking are sooo bad for your surfing.
Jeezus..Young blokes head injury over on Stab !
i knew i shouldn't have looked!
Had a bit of a shake up about a month ago. Definitely not an injury story, laughable in it's relative lack of heaviness but maybe interesting and relatable non the less.
Beachie with a fair bit of power behind it, kind of jumbled swell around 3-4 ft, every 30 to 45 minutes though a solid 5-6ish wash through would come through. Fucked up my positioning and saw one feathering out the back, started heading towards it but realised I was caught out, this ones gonna break about 2 ft in front of me = bugger. I was going to commit to the duck dive regardless, but this one seemed more top to bottom and I panicked and decided to ditch at the last second and slide under it. Didn't get a good breath at all due to this indicisiveness (noted for next time), got tumbled under for a while (longer/more violent than usual but still only <10 seconds in reality). Because of the shitty breath and lack of preparation to take it on the head I started to freak out a bit when under (knowing realistically i'd be fine but still starting to panic a bit). Burnt all my breath/energy trying to get back up top and took in a bit of water getting. Once up I proned the next one in and chilled on the beach for a while.
The whole thing was a bit of a reminder that regardless of how comfortable you are at a spot and in certain conditions, sometimes things don't go as you expect. Lessons learned; decide and commit to the duck dive (almost always) or ditch (last resort and only if no one around), ride it out and don't fight it when under.
Years ago I was surfing Bingan. Wasn’t real big, maybe 4 or five feet. My face was so sunburned I borrowed a Gath helmet with the transparent grey space age type visor that slid down so I could have surf. Anyway we were having fun, I got caught inside and got smashed in to the bottom duck diving. Came up and the visor covering my face had deep scratched and a gouge in the plastic. Hate to think how messed up I could of been if I didn’t have the helmet on (which funnily enough it’s the only time I’ve worn one).
I've had a few but the most embarrassing was running over the rocks to the jump off, I slipped, fell sideways and landed on the rail of my board. Being an idiot I kept going, jumped off and landed on the two ribs I had just broken. Took me about twenty minutes of frigging agony to paddle around the point and get in!
This Surf injury story involves #1 Surfer & The Queen...
2008 #1 UK Senior/Grom Chick Surfer Gwen Spurlock 16 years old
2/3x UK Pro Surf Tour Champ
Gwen was to surf before the Queen @ Swansea LC2 Flow Wave opening.
During practice Gwen was tossed forward striking her head on the hard surface.
She immediately complained of Double Vision before having a seizure five days later.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2769385/300-000-lawsuit-brain-…
Surgeons drilled two 10c coin sized holes into Gwen's skull to relieve brain pressure.
Gwen suffered memory loss, affecting her education, lost modelling assignments & Comps.
A 2nd operation was needed to deflate a Cyst on the outside of her Brain.
Gwen feared she might be left Paralysed after 2nd op...all was Ok.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/walking-on-water-the…
Gwen was said to have made a full recovery & returned to Surfing Career.
2010 Gwen was still wearing her helmet until August... > next month & then...
2010 https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/8251696.stm
2010 Gwen Retains UK Title (Hard to believe...epic comeback performance! Wow!)
https://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/9191690.stm
May 2012 Gwen was awarded a payout by LC2 who are seeking same from Murphy's Waves.
Follow Up
https://coolerlifestyle.com/features/spur-of-the-moment.html
https://www.visitwales.com/things-do/adventure-and-activities/waterspor…
Pretty sure Gwen is now a much sought after UK surf Coach > ISA Team / Gromz etc.
Someone just bumped this thread.
Interesting to read my story years latter, I'm glad i documented it, some of the aspects had faded from memory, but my own post took me back there.
Anyway a few years after this story the guy i was hanging with and surfed with in the story a guy about 10 to 15 years older than me died some issue in his brain that was like a ticking time bomb finally caught up with him.
Thats why he moved to the Mentawais, he had been diagnosed with something in his brain that was going to kill him, doctors said it could be 3 days, 3 months, 3 years or longer, so he just wanted to live his last years surfing and fishing in the place he loved.
He was a real character a classic sea dog who had lived a full but hard life, I only knew him for a few years but had some crazy adventures with him.
Here is a pic of him in the drivers seat and two mates, in front of my old Mentawai beach shack, sadly termites and storms took out the shack years ago though.
BTW. Yes they are blue healers they brought them over from Oz, passed on now too.
PS. I still havent bothered to get travel insurance