More from Wax Off
truebluebasher said: Who requested the most despicable reverse hostile cross national sickly song about world's #1 arsehole!
Think tbb should first warn the…
World Music... oops, I mean, music that is perhaps unfamiliar to western listeners because it's from underrepresented places..61
blackers said: A song fer Sussan.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay…
Tunes8,398
lucky-al said: Likewise, freeride76. Will call in next time I'm down your way.
Botany Nerds Ahoy2,639
seeds
said:
Oh shit yeah, I’ve been there a couple of times. Once on school camp and once as a adult 25 years younger than now.
Show us your photos
2812
seeds
said:
Opti said “Anyone who reads your past comments will easily see why you’re not worth engaging in conversation.”
No numbn
All Things Religion Thread
5463
Optimist
said:
Where I live now is perfect…..but I’ve had better in the past.
Where in AUS would you live in you could take your pick?
17
freeride76
said:
You're always going to run the risk of a big flatty busting you or biting you off on light gear and bait hooks.
I wou
Fishing tips
1149
Supafreak
said:
This guy has broken his back in 2 places plus other injuries but this horrific fall didn’t break his spirit, such a amaz
The MTB Thread
315
Fucken ay! +1 to this.
@stok, @toadgimp, @pricktoadkill, i'll remind you exactly why you are all deadshits and not worth respecting. My original post tonight was about a friend who was in very ill health. Her prognosis currently could go either way. While you all belittled me, my beliefs and chose to do all you can to shut down my thoughts, there's one thing you all high and mighty, fighting for the greater good of society and caring so much about everybodies health..forgot to do. To at least acknowledge my friend and wish her the best. You lot are the lowest kind. She needs all the love at the moment to help her along, yet you lot couldn't even acknowledge her existence, let alone wish her well. Very sad.
Bd, a couple of 6 packs later. Alcohol and SN mixed resulted in a whole bunch of stupid posts.
Busy night
Just a small deflection of blame there... I'd personally hold myself accountable for arguing with someone all night in an online forum, as though they're actually my actions that I chose to do and was hence responsible for myself.
I think you make some great contributions to the debate but you seem to get offside with a large chunk of people in here by thinking you're smarter and more informed than them, openly presenting yourself as such and as some kind of gatekeeper of wisdom, and openly label and write them off as basically uneducated, uninformed, etc, anti vaxers, with mental problems.
I made the same mistake when I first started contributing whereby I thought I was smarter, more educated and better at debate etc than these people in here and treated them like that, but I was quickly humbled or at least set upon and fairly relentlessly abused until I treated them with more respect and as equal human beings.
I'm not perfect and am in no way repository of knowledge or intelligence, and although I've made some contributions people seemed to like, it's clear that I myself am a little unstable and don't handle the whole covid situation very well personally, wrt to whole greyness of the situation, lockdowns, boosters, child vaccinations, the media, government incompetency, etc... But at least I now treat people in here as equals.
I don't like how people keep trying to convince BD that he has mental problems and needs help. I spent the better part of my late teens and 20s toiling away with shovel in hand on concreting job sites under the hot Aussie sun with a bunch of solid battlers who seem just like him, who wear their hearts on their sleeves, think for themselves and live by their beliefs, and never pack it in or blindly accept authority. Even though I went on to do a masters and PhD, and then work in the finance industry, one thing I've learnt is I'm not in any way smarter or better than those guys I used to slave away with digging holes in the dirt.
Happy Australia Day.
And BD I hope your friend is ok and pulls through.
What a beautiful , honest post.
Now let the shit show begin
Yep. Was excellent.
Stay strong BD . Whatever your choices. Don’t let the negativity and spite of a couple of these clowns influence your situation. Things are good. Coming up to a good time of year for waves in your location.
Regardless of what a small fringe cult chooses to believe the history books will show that there was a world wide pandemic which killed millions and thanks to the planets greatest combined effort vaccines were developed which saved millions of lives. The only clowns around here are those who refuse to believe what the rest of the world knows to be true.
That will be interesting to see: how history records this pandemic.
And whether people change their opinions based on that.
Morning GSCO, hope you enjoy your day off.
You seemingly had some conflicting elitism and intellectualism issues, which it sounds like you worked through. Kudos.
I too learnt a long, long time ago that I'm no different to others, that knowledge, life skills and wisdom transcends professions and education.
I'm no philosopher, but a fundamental, backbone part of general intelligence is understanding the limits of one's own self knowledge - and this is a severely lacking factor in the online, vaccine discussion world (and particularly this forum). The stakes are high with covid, and the importance of getting information from the right places, and not spreading misinformation is at an all time high.
As I'm sure is the case with most people who post here, I don't really care what others think of me. I'm not worried about protecting any reputation - but most of what I say is done with a smile, to get a chuckle out of the other side I'm arguing with. At the end of the day life is short, we're all banging our heads against brick walls here - have a laugh while doing it if you can.
Finally, I'm actually not writing BD off as someone with issues. I'm actually concerned for their well-being, as their posts clearly turned a corner yesterday - hopefully they are just getting fired up and wearing hearts on sleeve stuff. But who really knows.
Lol.
Doesn't have to be like this though, does it. People could just stop sharing propaganda from grifters.
I'd guess it would take a generation or two before people start agreeing on things.
There's certainly been disputes in history over the years, but with the online propaganda and echo chambers (on both sides....), this time will be different for sure.
History books probably won't write too fondly about people who refused to take part in or conspired against the fight against covid too.
Wasn't there a lot of shame that came out of the Spanish Flu in the US so not much was written?
And this https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-loneline…
There are always 2 stories to history. The white man version and what really happened.
This will be no different.
I've been thinking about this question a lot lately.
I wonder:
Is history ever recorded accurately, unbiased and factually?
Is there such a thing as an unbiased, impartial, factual and neutral recording of history?
Is it recorded by those in power and with influence, from their perspectives?
Is it ever recorded by "the people" from their perspectives and experiences?
Is it largely recorded by academic, intellectual elites with all their layers upon layers of over-complication, overanalysing, mental gymnastics and theatrics, and within academic conceptual theories and frameworks of history and sociology etc...?
One thing I think is a real possibility is there is a very large number of elite scientists, professionals, academics, politicians, etc, from immunologists to epidemiologists to economists to psychologists to biostatisticians, etc, who didn't agree with the world's, or at least their individual nation's, response to covid. They were vocal and outspoken about it, and were subsequently marginalised and basically lost their careers and "credibility". Cancel culture stuff.
They are very likely not going to let this one go. They'll likely devote the rest of their lives to getting to what they believe is the bottom of this and the truth. A large number of scientists will likely spend decades sifting through all the clinical trial data, experimental design, research reports, etc, of the vaccine companies, and every piece of information governments based their decisions on. They will likely spend decades analysing the real world clinical, medical, economic, etc, data generated in the past two+ years.
This is likely only the beginning of the covid wars. It will likely take a very long time for the dust to settle here.
The vaccine companies had better be very certain they got things right here. A very large chunk of the scientific, political and academic etc community - actually entire nations - has a personal, professional and commercial interest in completely bringing these big corporates down and holding them to account.
"This is likely only the beginning of the covid wars. It will likely take a very long time for the dust to settle here."
Most likely but due to the reasons you mentioned prior to that, I think we will come to some basic, shared understanding of reality.
Or least agree on the rough parameters of it.
When its over I suspect excess mortality will be the yardstick.
ie the strategy of a given country will be not just be judged on covid deaths alone
I am reminded of an awful time in Australia’s history when an innocent woman was vilified and her life made hell by the majority of the Australian public. She was relentlessly attacked, bullied and mocked for years on end for something she didn’t do. Imprisoned. Her life destroyed. The media had a huge part to play in that. Cashing in on an innocent person and fuelling cruelty and hate. Looking back it’s a dark stain on Australian history . A reminder of what not to be.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=51&v=-LG3_1AlLWg&feature=emb_…
You make some good points gsco.
What's the next move from the government once a large percentage of the population have had their booster?
Keep boosting every 3 months until somehow they've achieved 80% of the population within 3 months of their last dose?
I think that is unachievable.
WA will be an interesting experience.
When do they open?
When will they be maximally vaccinated?
Given that a lot of people are due for their booster now if they leave it too long then those who have had their booster will be past the 3 months.
So when do they open?
They may find themselves ironically in a situation whereby only a very small percentage are within the 3 months of their last dose and therefore, in essence, are an unvaccinated population despite obviously having spent millions on vaccinating everyone.
Doesn’t it sound fucking mad that this is a genuine conversation. Boosters every three months? For what is most part a mild flu like virus.
Especially a vaccine that was developed for the original wuhan strain which from what I understand I’m not circulating anymore.
History will compare covid with the 1918 flu.
1918 Flu:
Mortality was high in people younger than 5 years old, 20-40 years old, and 65 years and older. The high mortality in healthy people, including those in the 20-40 year age group, was a unique feature of this pandemic.
... it was much scarier than covid and with broader impact across age groups and the healthy. No one was safe.
Covid's tendency to affect older and certain vulnerable groups offered the possibility of a more nuanced and targeted response than a 1918 type pandemic required. Protect key groups rather than a one size fits all and lockdown everybody.
Such an approach for covid could have had markedly less undesirable direct and indirect social, economic and health consequences than we have had . The approach adopted was for a host of reasons - more a matter of media fear memes, muddle through reactive management, a desire to keep it simple, a need to cover your ass and avoid "brave" decisions than some conspiracy. The moving target also made it hard as new variants were unpredictable and the virus had many weird systemic health effects on some people. As did the highly nimble virus who managed to sidestep most plans and make a fool of many smart people.
That debate is and will happen in many informal and scientific forms but will probably be drowned out the noise of the decision makers in their desire to avoid blame, pretend we got it right, could not foresee and hide the costs etc.
Maybe some good lessons learned will be agreed upon but that is pretty murky water at the moment.
This is the problem with “health”.
You have a clinically obese doctor giving you medical advise on the NSW health social media page.
https://fb.watch/aMg5tysPdl/
We all knew it was nothing about your health when they kept bottle shops open but closed gyms and locked people inside for 23 hours.
Cross-wired history of shame...continues
Hymie says..."I guess we're not wired the same...."
Octavia replies : "Don't you see, people would point & say...Disgusting! He's [+] & She's [-]"
1967 this [+][-] joke drew giggles from the audience...naturally, coz it's hilarious!
2022 VIP (factcheckerz) ordered the destruction of this [+][-] misinformation fuelling the resistance!
Always was! Always will be...mandated VIP Land.
Don’t know anything about it, but if a natural medicine is given then it sounds promising. Much better than a maccas voucher
Octavia, was pretty fucking hot.
No offence Craig but you can’t be the voice of two of Australia’s biggest city’s.
Maybe in your circle of friends. That’s it.
I'm giving on the ground accounts what transpired down here.
A big proportion were fairly blasé about getting vaccinated until Delta started spreading like wild fire and then it gave everyone a little kick up the but to protect themselves.
Speaking to many, not just a close circle of friends and this was the general feeling and motivation across the city. IE looks like we're going to get it so get vaccinated.
Without the daily fear campaigns, inflated hospital numbers, no transparency on deaths, lockdowns, campaigns to vaccinate for freedoms & Jobs threatened there is absolutely no way people would have got vaccinated in the numbers they did.
I reckon a true accounting will be forty or fifty years away. It’s been too politicised for frank reporting.
How long before we see a settled outcome on the Trump was a Russian agent! / Trump was unfairly delegitimised and persecuted by a partisan corporate media Routines?
Thanks Burleigh for hypothesising.
I personally didn't think we'd get 80% with the rollout debacle, AZ side effects, hesitancy etc.
Whats your thoughts on the 3rd dose Craig? You think it will be mandatory? Will you be rolling up your sleeve? Whats the vibe in Sydney within the community?
I didn’t know one person below the age of 60 who thought like this. Even the over 60s were mostly ambivalent.
Same thing for me and many that I know. Delta was starting to spread outside of Sydney, and I needed it for work (health care), along with the flu shot. It was no big deal. I wasn't conned, was always going to get it, just wanted to give it 6 months or so after the first roll-outs to observe
With the wave passing I can't see the demand being anything like getting double vaccinated.
I'm in no rush to get the third but have extra time up my sleeve.
Nice Blowin, you're not down here in the community eh.
Seeing as the Northern Beaches was one of the first to hit 90% it's much different vibe when you're in the thick of it.
Im a simple man BD, no lap pool sorry!
I also believe that sea creatures belong in the sea, so you wont find any crustaceans in my home either.
I do own a dressing gown though, and linen sheets.
Very different to the vibe up here on the Gold Coast from my observations. I believe there will be huge hesitancy and not just because the wave has passed.
The lies and manipulation throughout the vaccination blitz have left a stain and its showing. Hardcore people with similar views to Vic and Co have told me they will not be getting a third.
I don’t know many in the Northern Beaches but I know plenty of crew around Sydney and South and the” Delta is coming!!!!” Vibe was not a thing at all.
Northern beaches seems to be a bit more fashion forward with whatever is trending on their fabulous social feeds though.
No one here gave much of a fuck. I don’t think that it’s because they’re detached from the threat, more just detached he’d from the social pressures to conform to the flighty frivolities of the mob.
As is evidenced by the lack of twin finned mid lengths, man buns and high waisted nappy bikinis .
Mueller report already dealt with that.
I can't even seen any highly partisan democrat media still on that track.
You’d better not tell Blindboy. Or the Washington Post.
It’d break their hearts to hear that you’ve fallen for the Russian misinformation campaign.
Most I know that have had 3…are not terribly concerned about getting another.
I have no real interest in getting a 4th shot at this stage.
The uptake on a 4th shot will be interesting.
"As is evidenced by the lack of twin finned mid lengths, man buns and high waisted nappy bikinis ."
aren't they a turn for the worst...
the high wasted nappy bikinis
fashion so funny, nothing attractive about them at all...
similar can be said for the other two examples
funniest thing is, a chick walks on beach in a 90's throwback high cut baywatch one piece... and all those once highly fashionable high waster nappy hotties suddenly look like a bunch of grandmas...
I'm in no hurry to get a third. If the next mutation goes back towards delta then I probably will. If it's a more severe version of omichron then I'll wait for the new omichron vaccine (due march?) If it's a less severe version of omichron (which I've probably had already) then probably not.
mueller may well have dealt with it... not sure about the rest...
there's a few nutters still desperately grasping at that narrative... geez we've even got some on here...
re. the covid wars...
it'll last forever
some attribute all successes to vaccines and lockdowns...
some totally defiantly dismiss the whole response...
truth is, its almost impossible to know how effective measures were
did vaccines really stop 1000s of deaths?
or are declining death rates due to things like;
the vulnerable falling in initial waves....
natural immunity building...
inproving treatment options....
waning virility of the strains...
etc.
personally, having closely watched the indonesian experience, like really really closely... and their haphazard responses...
where there were lockdowns, facemasks, social distancing, work from home etc. measures enacted...
but they were only oh so so loosely adhered to... in that super loose indo ways 'que sera sera' fashion we all love...
(well some of us...)
combined with their super low vax rates, of a largely shit vax (chinavax)
I have no doubt the vaccine efficacy and contribution has been totally overstated, both in terms of the initial marketing, and hindsight attribution....
no doubt whatsoever
that doesn't make me 'anti-vaxxer' triggered ones...
that means I think the vaccines served a purpose... but with my experiences outside of oz, I can see there is some serious over attributing going on, as people vehemently justify their positions
let the war rage on...
there may also be a touch of...
'it's much easier to fool someone than convince someone they have been fooled'
very likely a little more than a touch...
Omicron does give reason to pause.
Good read