More from Wax Off
truebluebasher said: Who requested the most despicable reverse hostile cross national sickly song about world's #1 arsehole!
Think tbb should first warn the…
World Music... oops, I mean, music that is perhaps unfamiliar to western listeners because it's from underrepresented places..61
blackers said: A song fer Sussan.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay…
Tunes8,398
lucky-al said: Likewise, freeride76. Will call in next time I'm down your way.
Botany Nerds Ahoy2,639
seeds
said:
Oh shit yeah, I’ve been there a couple of times. Once on school camp and once as a adult 25 years younger than now.
Show us your photos
2812
seeds
said:
Opti said “Anyone who reads your past comments will easily see why you’re not worth engaging in conversation.”
No numbn
All Things Religion Thread
5463
Optimist
said:
Where I live now is perfect…..but I’ve had better in the past.
Where in AUS would you live in you could take your pick?
17
freeride76
said:
You're always going to run the risk of a big flatty busting you or biting you off on light gear and bait hooks.
I wou
Fishing tips
1149
Supafreak
said:
This guy has broken his back in 2 places plus other injuries but this horrific fall didn’t break his spirit, such a amaz
The MTB Thread
315
So Lehrmann had a no win no fee deal. Must be the silliest law firm in Oz to take his case on.
Rub a dub dub let's make it $46 billion per sub, no questions asked.
https://johnmenadue.com/why-has-there-been-no-credible-media-narrative-…
I think I have posted this before but worth a re-run for its accuracy.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>
sports humour:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-12/players-and-leaders-return-to-el…
I swear this is a carbon copy of my Yr 8 footy team. On the receiving end, sadly.
In Denmark you get paid to study, better than free.
More than anything I would argue that it’s gst (vat) of 25% that’s a huge revenue driver for the government. But I agree with the sentiment, we are filthy rich down here, there’s plenty of money for a better education system.
Uni I went to was full of Norwegian students having their fees paid for in full as well as grants to live in oz to study.... Gold Coast uni apparently was up around 50% Scandinavian in late 90's, used to study there on weekends, full of blond glamours...
$7.20 for a pie at the local servo in Lennox.
Fucken hell.
Imagine the cost if it was grizzle free! That is a bit much. Local bakeries around here do good pies at around $6. Haven’t bought one at a servo
Six sounds acceptable.
As long as the little squirty thing of sauce is free.
I don’t think that’s gunna happen. Bring back the big sauce bottle for free.
Those were the days.
They Wardell Pies at the servo, Andy?
Yes indeed.
Generally very good but $7.20 good?
I guess sales will tell.
Guys.... are these sweet fruit or cream pies, or are they savory meat pies?
savoury meat pies.. a staple here.. epic book:
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/16059269
Just ordered the book, Base. Thanx. I love pies. Everyone loves pies. Anyone who doesn't is an "other" lol
from the colorado heartland, frozen gourmet aussie pies delivered to your door @wax
They look like they'd be the duck's nuts, 15 bucks a pop though!!!
($8.50 in-house if you're up for a coupla days drive, haha)
https://waltzingkangaroo.com/
Wax24. Long time no speak, hope you’re doing fine mate.
Oh, if you get your chompers around some of those pies Basesix has tracked down in Northern Colorado, I think you’ll apply for a visa to emigrate to our fine land.
I remember when the Florence brothers were here travelling/ surfing a few years ago , fell in love with pies, every towns got them, they remarked they had to leave because pies were adding a few too many kilograms to their waistlines. Good stuff. AW
I ate too many of these scallop pies in Tassie. Whether it be the curry version like this one or just mornay I couldn’t get enough of them

Seeds. Hi. Wow, that’s sounds and looks delicious , I see you even get a bonus black millipede on top also.AW
Anyone else enjoyed a lobster pie while travelling NZ's South Island?
Yep. Crayfish everything in NZ :-)
But the pork and apple pie (with a big slab of crackling on top) from the Fairlie pie shop is the pinnacle.
Oh my fucking god that looks amazing.
I'd be there every day for one.
They were addictive. $10 a pop generally. I was doing two a day. 1 of each type.
Lobster/crayfish pie sounds awesome as does that pork pie IB described.
Here's the aforementioned pork pie
You had me at crackling.
I like the meat pies better.... but, you guys DO also eat the sweets? Lemon meringue is my fave of these bunch, but there isn't a pie, sweet or savory i'd turn down. My mouth is watering looking at these pics. The pork and apple IS the pinnacle. I can just tell. I am a believer. All i got with me at work is a pb&j.
Who eats a pie with a knife and fork?
Haha, just kidding IB
You know about the crazy boaties/fishers out of Greymouth harbour IB? Must be some serious waves down there too boot!
Greymouth Bar is very treacherous, as are all the west coast harbour bars, but lots of commercial boats operate out of Greymouth, so there's lots of video drama to look up.
Knife and fork so as to eat it slowly - and for good table manners ;-)
Btw, Fairlie Bakery was recently sold, but hopefully the new owners got all the recipes. That place is an NZ treasure.
Wow it's been sold IB? I've stopped there a few times. Never seen queues for a pie shop like it. Had to go down the road once to the 4square because I was running late to catch a Christchurch flight home and didn't have a spare half hour to stand in the queue
One of the local pie manufacturers makes a prawn/garlic pie- and nothing quite scratches the itch of a mild hangover or post surf munchies like that.
Used to be sold at local servo but now have to drive 20 mins for one.
I think the pies at Bread Social are something like $9.50.
And $1.50 or $2 for the sauce.
Good money printing business they got there as they’re always busy.
I still flinch when I have to pay over $5 for a pie.
Where can I get a $5 pie in Aussieland these days FR :(
That pork and apple pie with crackle looks amazing IB. Wonder if anyone does them in Oz?
Hmmm.........
herbert adams frozen twin packs are sometimes $6 on sale..
Linez if someone round here did one, it'd be the best part of $20.
Yeah Andy, no doubt. Still reckon there'd be takers tho. I'd give one a crack for sure.
*No pun...;)
The alternative surf food to the pie back in the day was to buy a half loaf of unsliced bread from the bakery, eat all the inside out keeping the crusty shell then proceeding to the fish shop and presenting the shell on the counter with the request to” fill er up please” with hot chips.
This then covered in tomato sauce and washed down with a pint (600mils) of freezing cold chocolate milk from a glass bottle was a winner.
This could sustain a young surfer until dinner time no worries and was a pretty normal request in my surf area.
Pies I have loved before:
Four 'N Twenty, Seal Rocks Mixed Business, Early-80s. No selection, just meat, freedom from choice is what you want sang Devo, and they were right, to a degree. Better than a Cornish pasty at least.
Chunky Steak, The Pieman Miranda Fair, Late-80s. 4am every Saturday morning for four years I started work and tasted every pie imaginable but fresh from the oven Chunky Steaks were king and staff were allowed to eat any that hit the floor. Cue the wobbly boots.
Pot Pie, The Pieman Miranda Fair, Late-80s. When the older proprietor sold the business to the young pastry chef who made avid use of his smoko breaks, a new selection, for friends only, appeared. Great fun, but don't mix them up with the straight pies.
Curried Lentil, Pilgrims Wholefoods, Early-90s. Bought my first board off Andy who moved south and opened Pilgrims and whenever I went hunting he'd arm me with info and his wife Julie with a bag of curried lentil pies to see me through a few days of marching bush tracks and sleeping on dirt. As good cold as they were warm.
Steak and Vegetable, Shearer's Bakery Caringbah, Late-90s. Cubes of steak, twice the size of dice on a Monopoly set, with chunks of vegetables to boot. Hard to eat while driving but not impossible, just clean your lap before you get out. Could do two on a run to Garie. Hefty price for the day and my constant patronage allowed such price gouging to happen.
Mexican Pie, Saraven Thirroul, 2010- now. I'll rail against non-traditional ingredients on pizza - lamb and potatoes WTF? - but have developed a blind spot for Aussie/Mexican fusion from the local bakery. Beans, jalapenos, and chili beef in pastry. Doesn't just taste good but they never sell out so you can go there at the end of the day and be assured there's one with your name on it.
You could write a book about how to drive and eat a hot pie at the same time.
That sense of dread when you know a big chunk of red hot pie is about to land in your lap- nothing like it.
freeride76
A dangerous activity , driving and Pie Eating .
Finding a Big Brown Stain on a nice clean shirt or pair of pants , can be a disaster .
Especially if someone Else finds it .
Tomato sauce stain is another story and elicits an entirely different reaction , in my experience !
What about pasties? In S.A. the biggest decision of the day is whether to get a pie or pasty. I remember the first time in QLD. walking into a bakery and asking for a pasty with sauce, the lady looked at me like I was an alien and said in a pommie accent, we have apple pastries. The doughnuts didn't even have holes and were more like small jam berliners. I couldn't wait to get home.
Of all the pies I've had in my life my all time favourite is still the humble Balfour factory pie, but it has to be the perfect temperature and the crust slightly soft, easily eaten with one hand while driving. Most people would scoff at this as the Villies gourmet pies have taken over but they are a bit peppery for me and give me reflux.
Anyway here in Bali you can't get a decent pie for love or money so when I get home it's straight to the bakery for a pie a choc doughnut and an iced cold iced coffee. Breakfast of champions. Cheers.
reckon SA has more pastie-love than other states,
the Cornish came in the mid19thC for the silver found in the Adelaide Hills..
A cool Villi's story/myth, is that the Villi family all went incognito to corner shops asking for a Villi's pie for a few months before production started, to garner keen retailers..
(no pies in Bali? may have found a niche there @old-dog..)
any of the Kiwi crew know if Cobblestone pies are still around? I used to get 2 potato top on my way home from Woolworths nightfill a couple of times a week.
Kaikoura Crayfish pies are the best! With steak and mussels and speights pie a close second.
Venison back straps make a good homemade pie.
*silence*
What's a pastie?
haha, you take meat and 3 veg, throw the meat away, replace it with a sprinkle of gristle, dice the veg, then wrap it in pastry.. 'Cornish pastie' means the same but also has a thick pastry spine, that miners would toss after eating the rest, cos of coal dust on their hands..