More from Wax Off
truebluebasher said: Who requested the most despicable reverse hostile cross national sickly song about world's #1 arsehole!
Think tbb should first warn the…
World Music... oops, I mean, music that is perhaps unfamiliar to western listeners because it's from underrepresented places..61
blackers said: A song fer Sussan.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay…
Tunes8,398
lucky-al said: Likewise, freeride76. Will call in next time I'm down your way.
Botany Nerds Ahoy2,639
seeds
said:
Oh shit yeah, I’ve been there a couple of times. Once on school camp and once as a adult 25 years younger than now.
Show us your photos
2812
seeds
said:
Opti said “Anyone who reads your past comments will easily see why you’re not worth engaging in conversation.”
No numbn
All Things Religion Thread
5463
Optimist
said:
Where I live now is perfect…..but I’ve had better in the past.
Where in AUS would you live in you could take your pick?
17
freeride76
said:
You're always going to run the risk of a big flatty busting you or biting you off on light gear and bait hooks.
I wou
Fishing tips
1149
Supafreak
said:
This guy has broken his back in 2 places plus other injuries but this horrific fall didn’t break his spirit, such a amaz
The MTB Thread
315
here's a great Sunday gift...changing the National Anthem to be inclusive of First Nations Culture , and a truly representative Anthem for all of us!
https://www.theage.com.au/national/finish-the-job-renewed-push-to-add-v…
Great stuff Brutus. This is exactly what we've been banging on about. Embracing the culture!! Its not closing a gap, which implies lack, its creating unity, which implies growth...moving forward!
Would love to hear it sung in native tongue dependant on region too. There's alot that could happen in this space that would hold massive symbolism.
Read that early this morning and agree, No objections from me to make the change to the anthem. It always brings a tear to my eye when Julie Anthony belts out AAF. I'd love to hear her sing it in the native lingo too.
Love it and agree a verse in native tongue would be best.
Hey brutus or anyone you got a copy of Sik Joy?? There was a great track in it about songlines really simple but lyrics that said it all, love someone to post here ...
Sik Joy - full movie is on Utube
Have you ever read Song lines?
the Sik Joy movies I think Dick Hoole still has them.
David Dalaithngus , One man who changed our World and the positive contribution he has made to Australia's Film Industry....a National Treasure.......
https://www.theage.com.au/culture/movies/a-rock-star-trailblazer-who-wa…
Agree brutus, a very sad day, David’s gentle and culturally generous on screen presence showed us all how we can come together. A true legend.
Thanks for the reminder about that book ...
Storm Boy on tonight NITV followed by Twelve Canoes
and a documentary on Mr David Dalaithngus on ABC
pretty bloody annoying , when we are spending $500 m on our New War memorial.....and there is only tokenism for any recognition of the Frontier Wars...which were between our First peoples and our colonial settlers........have a read and make a comment ??
https://www.theage.com.au/national/indigenous-memorial-must-recognise-d…
Would personally prefer to see that $500 Mil spent on spreading Indigenous culture thoughout Australia Brutus, especially based on what you observed above. That's a bloody lot of money for a memorial, especially one with a misleading slant on the real history.
Sorry if i missed it but were indigenous Australians ever sent to world war 1,2 or Vietnam or Korea?
Seems like people were more racist then and they would have been through some tough times if they did.
They volunteered. Fucked if I know why. Great service to their country which I appreciate
https://aiatsis.gov.au/explore/serving-their-country
Great link seeds , thanks
Great link seeds , thanks
BD, it's a bit like telling the history of the USA without mentioning cowboys and Indians......which in turn leads to a better understanding of the affects that invasion/colonialism had and has today on all of us as a Proud inclusive nature.....without recognition and being inclusive of our History , we are just a Nation that's based on a selective political past....no wonder politicians as a profession are rated worse than prostitutes/Psychics/lawyers ...actually at the bottom of the list of least respected professions in Western Society
Politician's can't be trusted to deliver something as simple as recognizing Australia's frontier wars so we as a Nation suffer as a foundation of truth should be the basis of being an Australian , so we will remain divided/polarized and essentially still searching for our identity..
A cynical eye would consider lack of inclusion of facts as a deliberately divisive ploy by our current government Brutus. I cant imagine an obvious part of history being 'adjusted' as being accidental...not with that much money being spent on this.
Happy new year to you mate. And the rest of the SN crew. I hope 2022 is a wave filled epic one for all of you.
Thought this was an interesting take on things by @evosurfer on a different thread today, but relevant to this topic. I think its important to record and document comments like this fir discussion and future reference..
@evisurfer said "im sick to death about hearing what happened over two hundred years ago its got
nothing to do with us and almost every nation in the world has been overrun by some country
or other in history so suck shit and die"
BD , I wonder if would say the same about Anzac day, or his parents/kids/wifes/ birthday as it's only history?
Exactly Brutus. The mind boggles.
In reference to First Nations men going to war for the country. I think this might be enlightening. Heard the film maker on ABC radio on the way home tonight. Airs on SBS World Movies 25 January 7.30pm
https://tvblackbox.com.au/page/2022/01/11/balang-tom-e-lewis-final-film…
on a positive note from the abc today
Critically acclaimed and world renowned Australian dance group.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-11/wudjang-not-the-past-bangarra-da…
Voice to parliament would be a massive step in healing and moving towards a more elagaritarian political house. It would be great to see first nation people take up this role. Providing a representation that is important for First Nations people to heal and be part of the informative process that is clearly missing. They well and truly deserve a say on matters that are clearly of important nature of self representation. Can only build a more knowledgable Australia in regards to hearing and respecting this voice that has not had true representation as part of the Nations progress over the years since settlement. A great shame really. I don't know enough about this to expand on this so if anyone does. Teach us.
abc news today
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-13/sorry-day-14-years-on-fears-for-…
The ambulance paramedic that traveled with me in an ambulance trip to gero said that all the doctors and nurses in Carnarvon hospital are leaving town with indigenous people treating the staff like crap and throwing food at the doctors and nurses.
Nobody wants to live there and land prices are dropping rapidly due to the crime around town.
I think a lot of the indigenous folk were kicked out of there hometowns due to misconduct and settled in Carnarvon.
Good surf nearby though but you cant leave your car alone in the carpark with camping gear in the back.
Minister for the Dark Arts. Too funny Connie. Yeah, our next PM probs, and possibly the second shortest stint in the office.
Did anyone get to watch this? I missed it but just watched it on SBS On Demand ‘The Skin Of Others’
Learnt a lot. Reality stranger than fiction sometimes but also a sad reality in the end. Well worth a look
I will watch that seeds as soon as i figure out how to register to sbs on demand.
Hahaha don’t swear as much as I did.
You can do it groundswell
there's another good movie on sbs on demand with Christian Slater, gary oldman and a tonne of other good actors about the dungeons of Alcatraz, watched it briefly at a mates place who had SBS on demand figured out..will watch that too.
Youth of today
Prejudice Lyrics
Arguing your point about which race is best
Think you've got some insight well it's just prejudice
And the more that you argue the more mad you get
Well I don't want to fill myself with hate like that
You're prejudice just look at you
You're prejudiced and you're gonna be judged too
You've taken your stance, you've split us apart
Let's see how many bad feelings you can start
Trying to make hatred seem real cool
Keep talking those facts you come off the fool
You're prejudice just look at you
You're prejudiced and you're gonna be judged too
Unite the race what listen
We may be the same race but we're not the same ( PREJUDICE )
You're cowards looking for someone else to blame
And you're just a few cause most are too smart
To listen to all the shit that you start
https://www.abc.net.au/4corners/heart-failure:-an-investigation-into-th…
Salute udo ... essential viewing...(Got yer back up ivew link & below)
https://iview.abc.net.au/show/four-corners
Qldurrz also apologize to First Nation Mob for inhumane treatment in recent times.
Crew will likely know what state sponsored abhorrent inherent racism tbb is referring to.
{ I can't keep burying young People }
Kinfolk of passed loved ones have every right to speak the truth & need not apologize.
"They're just gonna keep killing people and get away with it!"
"That's another Black Fella gone...Who cares...not gonna waste time!"
"They didn't care...not ashamed of sayin' it!"
"We feel they treat us like animals!"
4 Corners: (That's a big thing to say!)
"I'm sorry, but not really sorry ... but that's the truth!
Town
"Enough is Enough!"
"Let them know we are Human Beings!"
Oz Awarded Heart Specialist :
'It's racism! There is no other words for it...it is racism that creates this division!'
'One group of people thinking potentially they're better than the other!'
4 corners : 'Why do you think they treat you like that?'
"Because we're Aboriginals...we're too frightened to go to the Hospital...we don't go there!"
Husband : "What happened to her, shouldn't happen to anybody, you know, it's human life!
"Should've been treated right...as a Human Being..she wasn't treated as Human Being!"
"I think they didn't think that I'll take it this far...you know- Human Rights complaint + go to 4 corners."
ABC 4 Corners { Heart Failure } Man up & cry for every reason...crying right now, any human would.
Take a few Panadol & have a good lie down...
https://iview.abc.net.au/video/NC2203H005S00
Alternate review
https://junkee.com/doomadgee-indigenous-hospital/323802
I'm not exactly sure the context of the reason's for posting this vid Rob, but i like this song better. It aint rocket science right?
The Oils, Ive never seen them live but have always wanted to. The last tour I hear. (sold out here) Should be epic. Great Australian act. I never really hit the biggest acts as prices went higher. I saved but missed some epic shows. The funny thing is Youth of today are actually a straight edge band that was popular way back. As with the Oils, they play about allot of relevant punk stuff even if you are not that way inclined. The whole movement as you know was pretty driven until it self imploded and became saturated. I generally like the punk or whatever ethos of DIY and just do it. It still survives and has it's die hards and own movements.
Punk rock actually introduced me to the concept of unity and diversity funnily enough. Before that it was distortion, riffs and total chaos. Allot of the pre and cold war era bands world wide left a mark. I enjoy the socially conscious idea etc. (political music)
Artists are so important in creating positive change in times like these, whatever the art. I think conscious music always has a audience, Just like the Oils. They stood for something , people could relate and let go at the shows. Covid has effected music so much, I miss the raw energy and passion from punters and performers.
As much as the three cord structure is dismissed in punk I think what it has stood for is timeless. Racism and prejudice in my world has effected my friends dearly. They suffer every day I let it slip or choose to look away.
Lyrics from Youth of today and other bands call it out. They took a stand. Stood for something and made a difference to what mattered to them. I respect that even if I don't follow their scenes to a T.
I have a feeling we are going to see more political music as we have allot of political and social issues happening at the moment. It's up to us and the current Youth of today in how we wish to represent that and through what medium. Take a fucking stand and choose to be a part of the healing. Or get out of the fucking way.
Saw them in 1990 as an 18 year old. Blue Sky Mining tour. Was great but their old stuff is better than their new stuff (another reference to a different shit hot Aussie band in the 90’s)
Check this Wanda Beach stuff. There is the whole set out there but I can’t find it.
@robwilliams 'Take a fucking stand and choose to be a part of the healing. Or get out of the fucking way.'
I hear ya, but what if the healing involves staring the past in the face and confronting it. If this is what it takes, then i'm all for it and i'll support that all the way, not just a 'we need to heal and move forward' without actually realising and understanding what healing means, and what is required for the healing to take place. Big difference, and not something to be brushed over. In fact the fundamental point of the above discussions.
And yep, plenty of good punk musos, and plenty of warriors in all forms of music. Punk does hit the right spots though for sure.
The Oils were my fav band for a while in the late 80s period, first band i really got into after Kiss apart from rap/hiphop that i was heavily into until the late 80s
Ive seen literally hundreds of bands live and saw the Oils live in the late 90s when they were kinda uncool so venue (on the Gold Coast) wasn't real big, amazing band live, amazing musicians, would rate them in at least top twenty bands I've seen live.
But I have trouble listening to them now, songs are great but a lot of the lyrics are just really cringey more so from mid period (10 to 1) onwards and got even worse as things went on, they should have stopped at Blue Sky mining anyway.
I remember an older mate and musician saying in the 90s how political bands suck and at the time i argued the opposite, but now i get what he was saying, i hate politics in music especially when its obvious and not cryptic, i hate it when a band even talks about their political views in many cases you are going to ruin it for 50% of your audience. (if a non political band)
Im not going to diss Peter for him going into Politics though, yeah there was so many contradictions between what he had said and still says to what he did/said in politics, but to me him going into mainstream politics really showed the compromise that must be made, i disagree with pretty much all his politics now and i think he has even been very damaging in many ways to many issues, but i sill respect that he had a go.
Fully understand this point. Past history can not be ignored or erased. Nor should it when it has had the effect to the detriment of first nations people. I am ashamed we choose to ignore the realities of past history in relation to the effects we still see today. I am proud and supportive anyone doing their best to contribute to the healing and understanding of these difficult issues so many of our indigenous experience first hand. I want to see positive change for those effected. With out acknowledging or dealing the past failings we can't move to a better future for all with in Australia. Hopefully awareness and understanding is growing in relation to these issues in order to bring about change.
So many people taking a stand and trying to repair damages done. It's a long journey but it's got to be taken in order for progression to be made. Inaction, negativity unwillingness to acknowledge the truth won't get us close. It's the terrible tragedy of the colonisation of Australia. I am not proud of it. I see it ever time I see an indigenous person or friend in need living with the ramifications of this past history. . Australia united is far greater than divided. Sometimes the truth hurts but in relationship to issues faced by many. I think it must be understood in order to move forward. Don't hide it, or run from it. Acknowledge it and learn from it.
Beautifully written Rob. Thanks for a thoughtful response. I concur completely. Big aloha. This is the sort of humanity that is required not just on this issue, but world over. Cheers mate.
Rise above
attitude counts, wish I had a ticket. feeding the crowd one track at a time
My mate saw the oils in the 90's and said he, Peter Garrot made an excellent speech about how Aussies should be buying more Aussie music. This was when Nirvana, smashing pumpkins and greenday were at their peak and grunge fashion was mimicked here. I heard even Courtney love came out to Australia and wrote off the audience for being clones of americans.
My mate never bought any music from the USA again. Mostly aussie music such as crowded house etc.
I on the other hand didnt see the speech and continued to buy lagwagon, strung out, nofx and many other US punk records, then dance music from Europe or Detroit.
Still i think Peter garrot is a great speaker and has a good attitude towards supporting aussie bands.
Updated massacre map
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/ng-interactive/2019/mar/04/m…
this might be of interest -- a paper on Intergenerational justice, at Uni of Wollongong
The School of Liberal Arts invites you to the Sophia Annual Public Lecture. To be delivered by Professor John Frow.
Title: On Intergenerational Justice
Date: Thursday 7 April 2022
Time: Registrations from 5.30pm. Lecture commences at 6pm.
https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/sophia-annual-public-lecture-on-interge…
Venue: University of Wollongong, Building 67.104
RSVP: To confirm your attendance please register online by Tuesday 29 March 2022.
Enquiries: sola-enquiries@uow.edu.au or ph: 4221 4160
Abstract: On Intergenerational Justice
Each generation transfers a world to those who come after. We can think of this as tradition, the passing on of a culture, a language, a stock of knowledge, a way of life. The transfer can take the form of the wealth amassed during a lifetime and passed on to the next generation. Or the world that is transferred can be understood literally, as the planet earth as it has been handed on from generation to generation. That passing on can, however, take the form of an injustice: my generation is handing on a natural world degraded by pollution, climate heating and species extinction; and the transmission of wealth can act as one of the central mechanisms for the consolidation of class differences. My talk explores some of the ethical dilemmas posed by the intergenerational transfer of the world.
Professor John Frow
John Frow is a graduate of the ANU and Cornell University and is currently Emeritus Professor of English at the University of Sydney. He was formerly Professor of English Language and Literature at the University of Melbourne (2004-2012), the Regius Professor of Rhetoric and English Literature at Edinburgh University (2000-2004), and Darnell Professor of English at the University of Queensland (1990-1999). He works at the boundary between literary studies and cultural studies, and his books include Marxism and Literary History (1986), Cultural Studies and Cultural Value (1995), Time and Commodity Culture (1997), Genre (2006/ 2015), Character and Person (2014), and On Interpretive Conflict (2019). A collection of essays, The Practice of Value, was released in 2013, and the four-volume Oxford Encyclopedia of Literary Theory is just about to be published. He is a member of numerous editorial boards, including New Literary History, Textual Practice, the Journal of Cultural Economy, and Cultural Studies Review, of which he was the editor from 2006-12, and with two colleagues he edits the series Approaches to the Novel for Oxford University Press. He is currently working on a book on theories of value.
Sad reading that. History not all want to hear.
I found this a few years ago and local to my area. Not playing by the rules but no worse than what was happening in reverse and pales in extent to colonial atrocities. Not excusing just passing it on. I found it an amazing piece of local history
https://press-files.anu.edu.au/downloads/press/p72251/pdf/article107.pdf
Wrong person for the job reading those texts. No rules?