More from Wax Off
truebluebasher said: Who requested the most despicable reverse hostile cross national sickly song about world's #1 arsehole!
Think tbb should first warn the…
World Music... oops, I mean, music that is perhaps unfamiliar to western listeners because it's from underrepresented places..61
blackers said: A song fer Sussan.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay…
Tunes8,398
seeds said: Oh shit yeah, I’ve been there a couple of times. Once on school camp and once as a adult 25 years younger than now.
Show us your photos2,826
seeds
said:
Opti said “Anyone who reads your past comments will easily see why you’re not worth engaging in conversation.”
No numbn
All Things Religion Thread
5463
Optimist
said:
Where I live now is perfect…..but I’ve had better in the past.
Where in AUS would you live in you could take your pick?
17
freeride76
said:
You're always going to run the risk of a big flatty busting you or biting you off on light gear and bait hooks.
I wou
Fishing tips
1149
Supafreak
said:
This guy has broken his back in 2 places plus other injuries but this horrific fall didn’t break his spirit, such a amaz
The MTB Thread
315
A Salty Dog
said:
[quote=velocityjohnno]Bagspreading
Be the bigger man and don't do it
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/n
Australia - you're standing in it
10602
PopDown. You are a thrill a minute, love it.
No denying, there are some amazing looking and smelling roses available, some varieties 100’s of years old, and others just named and registered.
I started life in nurseries, I had to remember every name, cultivation, cultural requirements, scent/no scent, thorny/thornless , disease resistance, long stem, short stem, allergy/ non allergenic , good cut flower/shit cut flower, long lasting flower/didn’t last long, laid/won’t get laid etc. use to do my head in. Alas, I was learning and that’s the name of the game.
Did you know, that all of the gold on earth today ( which is about the volume of 3.5 Olympic swimming pools) was formed in one big event, that’s it . Never repeated since. AW
haha ; ) thanks for that giggle AW.
Seeds. Sorry, yes, definitely a Desert Rose, you know them for sure.AW
These were in the Simpson Desert / Munga-Thirri. In the second photo you can see they grow on the ridge of the dunes. Zoom in and in the background there’s another smaller ridge with them but none in the valley


Well you can’t really see as quality/clarity diminishes when posted
Another beauty with a close up


I think the first MungaThirri pic looks like Ptilotus obovatus but doesn’t have the pinkness in the flowers
whoaa! epic shots seeds : )
that close-up is otherworldly..
Seeds. The top photo of these two photos I’m pretty sure is Crotalaria cunninghamii, I know this plant well. think they are commonly called Green Bird Flower, Parrot Pea, African relatives are called Rattlepods. Family Fabaceae obviously, legumes and pea flowers. I’m working on the others. Beautiful landscape photos, it’s alive out there with life abounding.AW
Cheers
Maybe the first is Ptilotus latifolius
ps the first I posted on top the dunes
The bottom photo beneath the Crotalaria photo, small plant with yellow heart shaped flowers looks like a species of Dampiera. I’ll have to continue and confirm in the morning, I’m baked. AW
No day light savings here. It’s not so late. Catch ya tomorrow.
Goodenia cycloptera?
Seeds. I thought Dampiera sp because of its flowers, as you know , this genus is in the Goodeniaceae Family, so it makes a lot of sense that it’s probably
Goodenia cycloptera as you’ve brilliantly suggested.
I cycled back through a lot of photos we’ve all posted on this thread over the last year, there was one of a dunce in the corner photo, you posted it, and suggested it was you, well, i vehemently disagree.
Great investigative work by a sleuth.AW
Thanks AW. Just googled a lot. Saw edge like leaves were the giveaway eventually. Combined with, as you described, heart shaped flower.
Atriplex sp. I’d say, just got to work out which one.AW
AW
Great photos .
So easy for me , to look into the distance and see a lovely landscape .
Your pictures ( the top one esp ) are a lovely reminder , to me , how incredible things can be , if I take a closer look .
Thanks mate , something for me to focus on today .
Poppy ( saw there was another Pop on SN ( sorry re my name ) ).
edit
As I can be a real shit sometimes , not at all surprised I was number 2 .
@PopDown. Very funny “as I can be a real shit sometimes, not at all surprised I was number 2”.
I wouldn’t be so Down, there’s only one Pop on Swelllnet, that’s, you, AW
Something shared between the plant and bird ??
That Crimson Rosella is freaking out in a tree fern with an Alfred Wallace lurking nearby
Seeds. How’s things ? If you work out the plant you’ll work what’s in common. AW
This?

Seeds. The 4 photo set of the plant with the round pink flowers that’s above the birds, both different organisms share something!!!.AW
I was thinking the crimson parrot being a king parrot, I think’ and king fern. Eg my photo
Now you got me stumped
Rosella bird rosella plant? One makes my favourite jam
is it a boobook/barking owl...
(sorry fellas.. dad joke ; )
Seeds. Sorry to confuse you. The pink flowering plant is Hibiscus heterophyllus, Native Hibiscus or Native Rosella.
Plant and bird sharing the same name.
You’ve touched on something, a jam is made by some from the closing flower bud in photo 4, about the size of a ping pong ball, it’s delicious.
More trivia. The name Rosella for the bird is derived from the suburb in Sydney, Rose Hill. Late 1800’s, early settlers were astounded by the abundance of the colourful birds in that area . Being in Rose Hill and like everything in Australia, it became common to call them ‘rose hillers’ and eventually Rosella. AW
Edit, also the species name of the plant H.heterophyllus means more than one leaf form on the same plant. AW
Basesix. Both amazing birds. Southern Boobook/Mopoke ( Ninox boobook) not to be confused with Morepork ( Ninox novaeseelandiae) , both are Typical Owls, as well as Barking Owls, Powerful Owls, Rufous Owls,
All other owls are in the Barn Owl group.AW
Very interesting the origins of the name

Birdy num num
Seeds. You got a laugh from me, I thought of Peter Sellers, birdy num num. I want some, homemade or bought?. If homemade, who is making it ? AW
Yes Alfred, The Party.
Seeds. Thank you, pissing myself. AW
No takers. Plant is a pest down here, almost impossible to get rid of, really digs itself into the ground. Member of the Daisy family, Asteraceae
No denying the flowers are amazing, taken with iPhone8. AW
Cynara cardunculus. Artichoke Thistle, Cardoon.
Looks like a scotch thistle. Are the one and the same? Although I think I remember they had more of a pink flower
Seeds, these flowers are bigger, on Cynara, but all the ones we call Scotch Thistle, mostly pink, geez, there’s a shitload of species and genera.
Onopordium, Cirsium, Acanthium, etc.
Scotch Thistle is Scotlands National Flower, they can bloody well have it. AW
I remember them thick on the ground around Moonee Ponds Creek in Broady when I was a kid. Also fennel everywhere. The Greek(I think) women used to be always out harvesting the wild fennel. We used to have some fun running around that creek valley. Making cubbies, sitting in the plum trees feasting, catching yabbies and picking leaches off ourselves when swimming. Too young to realise what a crap area it was. Adventure playground to us.
Seeds. Yep, kids, we did the same, we couldn’t see societal classes at that age, we’d be out all day, but do remember the smell of Foeniculum vulgare Wild Fennel especially along the train lines through Geelong, Greek and Italian early migrants, our parents thought they were desperate for food, in reality they were smarter than all of us, look how popular fennel is these days, unbridled children/youth, gotta love it.
The pushbike was the ‘steel horse’, early years of surfing we’d ride our bikes, board under arm down the back way from Geelong to Torquay along Horseshoe Bend Rd, which is now drowning in suburbia. Fucked by the time we got to the beach. AW
What do these three photos have in common ?
They are deciduous native trees of Australia
Seeds . Hi mate. They can be semi-deciduous, relative to a particular season of the year, but not deciduous in the true sense of the word.
There’s a similarity between all of them ? AW
The all flower after losing there leaves?
What type of trees are they ? AW
Brachychiton
Seeds. Spot on. They are all different species of Brachychiton.
Big fat one, Brachychiton rupestris. Bottle Tree. Blackall, Old, Oct 2023
Brachychiton populneus. Kurrajong. Gundabooka N.P, NSW, Oct 2023
Brachychiton acerfolius. Illawarra Flame Tree, Flagstaff Gardens, Melbourne, July 2023.
Once members of the Sterculiaceae Family, now shifted into Malvaceae Family, but still in the Sterculioideae subfamily.
All great trees.
Other species, Brachychiton discolor Lacebark. AW
Yeah I knew the flame tree and bottle tree. I was assuming the top leaves were of a similar tree.

This one is in Roma.
Hi AW and Seeds. I'm just catching up on all this, and enjoying it as usual.
ahh, the Brachychitons/bottle trees - favourites, and I've got all four of them planted here, and all doing quite well. The 'populneus' the slowest of them all so far - it was grown from seed collected at Augathella. And I've always had a particular liking for the pink lacebark - seen some rippers in the dry rainforests. A bit over a week ago I spent some days down in the rainforest at O'Reilly's and saw some large specimens in the wetter forest down there too. Awesome - the whole place is awesome. This trip I was particularly in awe of some massive old Brush Box, incredible. Got right down into the Canungra Creek system, some stunning waterfalls... sorry, no photos, I'm sure you'll take my word for it
Hi GJ
Great to get away even for a short time. AW has been clocking up the miles.
There was a flame tree at mine when we moved in. Close to the house. I gave it a good few years but the floral display was disappointing every time and the bloody mess it made every year dropping leaves did my head in. Mr Stihl paid it a visit.