Get better surf forecasts and support an independent surf business. No ads. No corporate backing.
Swellnet is owned by surfers, not corporations. Subscribers keep our independent content, forecasts and surfcam network running - with no ads for anyone.
It is written on the fin mate & the size , & tell me the front while we're at it. Yes shakman dual foils , usual quads
freeride76
Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 10:33 am
new
Fronts fins: EA
rears: QD2 4.0
caml
Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 11:00 am
new
Sounds big thats ok . Fronts are either ea quad or ea thruster . ? Decent start anyway fr .
freeride76
Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 11:06 am
new
What have you got on yours?
caml
Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 11:19 am
new
What u have are med/big . Feel free to downsize when conditions allow
freeride76
Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 11:33 am
new
I'll take it to Cloudbreak and see how they feel.
They felt loose enough on 3 ft Point waves.
penmister
Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 11:40 am
new
How much was the desert storm free ride??
freeride76
Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 12:31 pm
new
Mate, you'd have to talk to Webby about that, depends on how you glass it, spray it , what fins etc etc etc.
Compared to the price of hipster surfboards in Byron Bay I thought it was very reasonable
penmister
Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 12:40 pm
new
All good cheers fr..im over in wa just wanted to work out prices and shipping. I flicked over an email the Other Week. Have to give em a buzz..
tootr
Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 12:49 pm
new
So how common are the 'anti shark' stripes becoming these days?
freeride76
Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 12:50 pm
new
really common
goofyfoot
Thursday, 27 Jul 2017 at 11:03 am
new
Caml you don't need big fins in guns do you?
caml
Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 07:46 pm
new
Um gf , depends on the way the winds blowing , phase of the moon , swell period etc but yeah small medium & large are all worth having . Im trying to reduce fin size for the ds model but sometimes you need big fins . How much drive do u want vs how driveless . Or what are the surface conditions vs the length of board u use . Is the wave sucky or flat ? Best thing is tot learn to use fins & systems to your advantage
wellymon
Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 08:07 pm
new
Biggest spam all time on here IMO.
Desert storm Surfboards. !
Classic stuff Camel.
Nice work, looks like a great board tho, good on ya;)
The moon is coming up tonight, period good, swell from the dah dah and winds from the do do......
We will see tomorrow eh.
caml
Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 08:36 pm
new
Yeah agreed welly but I only did it cos udo started a thread about me so I shut it down& started one that I was happy to be involved in instead . Got friends in high places bro
udo
Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 09:03 pm
new
Same result really = good.
wellymon
Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 09:04 pm
new
.
wellymon
Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 09:06 pm
new
caml wrote:
Yeah agreed welly but I only did it cos udo started a thread about me so I shut it down& started one that I was happy to be involved in instead . Got friends in high places bro
Yeah I know
Respect to you.
Haha I might buy one now;)
Peace and big turns.
caml
Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 10:28 pm
new
tootr wrote:
So how common are the 'anti shark' stripes becoming these days?
Every second board has them !
penmister
Saturday, 5 Sep 2015 at 10:46 pm
new
Put some anti shark stripes on ya Forehead tootz might come in handy...
goofyfoot
Sunday, 6 Sep 2015 at 06:21 am
new
I guess what I meant Caml was just because it's s big board doesn't necessarily mean you have to put big fins in it? Cheers for the reply, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to all that stuff..
caml
Sunday, 6 Sep 2015 at 12:21 am
new
Yeah that's right gf . Fins are for beginners .
goofyfoot
Sunday, 6 Sep 2015 at 06:24 am
new
Ah I'm not sure if you took my last comment the wrong way Caml, I wasn't saying fins aRe for beginners at all. I was saying that when it comes to knowing what fins to use in bigger boards I've got no idea. That's why I was asking on here.
crustt
Sunday, 6 Sep 2015 at 08:07 am
new
Hey goofy, I usually use smaller fins on my 8'0" and 8'6"works well in clean waves, got enough rail in the wave I reckon. I got my fins from Kirk Bierke and it was what he recommended., Fins Unlimited from California, fibreglass great quality good price. Had them for 4 years and they work well.
The template for front and rear is the same, an exact copy of the rear fin in the futures stretch model. https://futuresfins.com/en-us/stretch-quad-honeycomb-blue-2310-105-40-d…
I some times use a smaller 340 futures which has 4 inch base and 3 and 3/8 high to loosen it up a bit, everything works.
caml
Sunday, 6 Sep 2015 at 09:27 am
new
Goofy . Dont worry about what I said . Wasnt really meant for you . U have to remember im an alaia / finless / boogyboarder so I can say stuff like that for a joke .re fins are for beginners . I believe derek hynd is correct saying that when tom blake begun using fins it made it very easy & limited the pre fin era free feel . Crustt I too got some of those fins from kirk b . I dont believe that the 4 all the same size works well , I find bigger in front & a bit smaller in rear go better . BUT I agree small fins are good . For the ds model I recommend standard quads . Not big , try to keep the drag minimal , use as small as possible.
goofyfoot
Sunday, 6 Sep 2015 at 11:05 am
new
Cheers Crustt and Caml
udo
Friday, 25 Sep 2015 at 08:10 pm
new
Freeride, Cloudbreak DS report ?
freeride76
Tuesday, 29 Sep 2015 at 08:24 am
new
Coming, the chooks have destroyed my vegie garden and the weeds are up over my head in the citrus orchard. Got some work to do.
udo
Wednesday, 7 Oct 2015 at 03:06 pm
new
Ballina Advocate : Webster talks of his business suffering due to shark attacks/sightings.
mozzie
Wednesday, 7 Oct 2015 at 07:04 pm
new
I surfed Lennox/Ballina on the weekend and on Saturday crew were buzzed out of the water by the shark spotting chopper at Boulders and Shelly Beach. It made for uncrowded conditions for the Sunday dawn patrol...
udo
Tuesday, 13 Oct 2015 at 06:11 pm
new
Freeride ,Desert Storm Fiji ride report ?
freeride76
Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 02:31 pm
new
It was mostly 6ft and solid the whole time we were there, couple 6-8ft days and just generally heaps of power and girth. Tradewinds blowing which made for wooly take-offs.
Paddling the DS into the line-up felt so deluxe, like wearing a suit of armour, like being ten feet tall after scratching in on a 6'3".
So smooth ,with the weight and the entry rocker, paddling in felt so damm good. The whole time I was thinking shit, if I had the balls I could paddle into a 10-12ft wave on this. Really, really nice loaded up deep bottom turns and with the area in the tail and quad set-up , easy riding arc off the top.
Nice stable platform to hit the brakes, bury the arm and stand in the barrell. You could ride forward, like an old single fin because of the area and thickness up front.
Only foible was getting trapped into inescapable tube rides down in the shish kebab section, that didn't feel so good getting creamed on the reef with a heavy 7'6" and four fins.
To be honest, it almost felt like cheating, and also to be honest, I was a bit over-gunned. I already spoke to Webby about getting some smaller ones made. Would have loved to have had a quiver of Desert Storms over there.
Big boards= rewards.
Very reluctantly I've sheathed it in a cover and put it under the house, knowing, unless we get a miracle I won't be able to ride it at it's full capacity until next autumn/winter.
Fuck, I'd love to get it out at maxing Outside Corner.
50young
Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 03:03 pm
new
yeeewwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!
caml
Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 03:04 pm
new
Great review fr , but don't be afraid to put some smaller fins in & ride it in small waves . Interesting that you found it concerning to wipeout with . And that partly explains why I make sure all mine have blunt nose and tail with fins that don't have razor edges . Some people are getting normal noses on the DS but I don't agree with this option . That's cos webby is catering for those poor fools that don't understand the blunt nose . I like how you said it's like you are cheating , well thats right but you could say ; like I do "why would you make it so hard for yaself with an anorexic thin board "
penmister
Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 03:06 pm
new
Ive got a 70 on the way narrow rnd pin thruster ds...cant wait!!
udo
Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 03:07 pm
new
Freeride , was pistol Pete surfing a DS there ?
freeride76
Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 03:09 pm
new
I love the blunt nose, so stoked that that has come about.
Been talking to Greenough for years about the dangers of pointy noses.
Might get some smaller fins eventually Caml but right now the bank account is in the red and needing repair.
Penmister, what dims on the 7'0"?
freeride76
Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 03:09 pm
new
I didn't see Pistol Pete there Udo? Was he there same time?
udo
Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 03:17 pm
new
Around same time I think ? staying Namoutu
penmister
Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 03:19 pm
new
19.5. 3 44L. ..same as the website . 6 on the bottom and 2x6 on top..half inch stringer..im on a 60 now but the spirit is gone it...need some knew blood...
penmister
Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 03:35 pm
new
So going from 31l to 45l be good.. been over the falls to many times on 6-0 when theres been decent waves..
caml
Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 03:42 pm
new
freeride76 wrote:
I love the blunt nose, so stoked that that has come about.
Been talking to Greenough for years about the dangers of pointy noses.
Might get some smaller fins eventually Caml but right now the bank account is in the red and needing repair.
Penmister, what dims on the 7'0"?
Fr sandpaper will work . & penmr use a thin stringer . Imo . Udo pete was there im Suprised they didn't meet
penmister
Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 04:46 pm
new
Might of got the glass wrong its 6 - 6 + 6. Thin stringer for a smaller ds camel?
goofyfoot
Thursday, 27 Jul 2017 at 11:04 am
new
The paddling and wave catching ability on it is rediculous. Still haven't used it in waves it was really made for but so far it's been a treat
caml
Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 07:22 pm
new
Penmister I understood the glass first time ok thats absolutely minimum but great . I make sure it's double filler coated too . .if you read all the info I always write & presumably its in this thread earlier . I explained why to reduce stringer to less.. you will save so much damage if you make the shell strong . No dings resale long life no cracks in fins the list goes on . But by putting strength in the center of the board I just don't get it . So many modern boards have proved to be Stringerless & work . Everything can snap but a couple of 6oz each side with a thin stringer surfs best imo . Put years of testing behind the theory . If there was really good quality stringers with guaranteed strengths maybe it would be different . But as is the wood is mainly a traditional thing . Standard blanks anyway , Maurice has told about the high quality apple core stringers in the us that cost more then yeah , different story . But for now that's how I think
penmister
Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 07:40 pm
new
Its in webbys hands now camel..i trust he will make me a sick board...
penmister
Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 07:42 pm
new
Thanks for helping out..
caml
Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 09:59 pm
new
Everyone is liking them & I think webby gets better every time he shapes a newbie
penmister
Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 10:09 pm
new
.im sure ill like mine too camel cant wait....
udo
Tuesday, 20 Oct 2015 at 09:24 am
new
Caml, youre getting a good wrap from Webby and Pistol Pete re your input into the DS model..well done
And Pa Pistols got one ....which is fucking unreal....soon to see a 60yr old in some stand up pits !
It is written on the fin mate & the size , & tell me the front while we're at it. Yes shakman dual foils , usual quads
Fronts fins: EA
rears: QD2 4.0
Sounds big thats ok . Fronts are either ea quad or ea thruster . ? Decent start anyway fr .
What have you got on yours?
What u have are med/big . Feel free to downsize when conditions allow
I'll take it to Cloudbreak and see how they feel.
They felt loose enough on 3 ft Point waves.
How much was the desert storm free ride??
Mate, you'd have to talk to Webby about that, depends on how you glass it, spray it , what fins etc etc etc.
Compared to the price of hipster surfboards in Byron Bay I thought it was very reasonable
All good cheers fr..im over in wa just wanted to work out prices and shipping. I flicked over an email the Other Week. Have to give em a buzz..
So how common are the 'anti shark' stripes becoming these days?
really common
Caml you don't need big fins in guns do you?
Um gf , depends on the way the winds blowing , phase of the moon , swell period etc but yeah small medium & large are all worth having . Im trying to reduce fin size for the ds model but sometimes you need big fins . How much drive do u want vs how driveless . Or what are the surface conditions vs the length of board u use . Is the wave sucky or flat ? Best thing is tot learn to use fins & systems to your advantage
Biggest spam all time on here IMO.
Desert storm Surfboards. !
Classic stuff Camel.
Nice work, looks like a great board tho, good on ya;)
The moon is coming up tonight, period good, swell from the dah dah and winds from the do do......
We will see tomorrow eh.
Yeah agreed welly but I only did it cos udo started a thread about me so I shut it down& started one that I was happy to be involved in instead . Got friends in high places bro
Same result really = good.
.
Yeah I know
Respect to you.
Haha I might buy one now;)
Peace and big turns.
Every second board has them !
Put some anti shark stripes on ya Forehead tootz might come in handy...
I guess what I meant Caml was just because it's s big board doesn't necessarily mean you have to put big fins in it? Cheers for the reply, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to all that stuff..
Yeah that's right gf . Fins are for beginners .
Ah I'm not sure if you took my last comment the wrong way Caml, I wasn't saying fins aRe for beginners at all. I was saying that when it comes to knowing what fins to use in bigger boards I've got no idea. That's why I was asking on here.
Hey goofy, I usually use smaller fins on my 8'0" and 8'6"works well in clean waves, got enough rail in the wave I reckon. I got my fins from Kirk Bierke and it was what he recommended., Fins Unlimited from California, fibreglass great quality good price. Had them for 4 years and they work well.
The template for front and rear is the same, an exact copy of the rear fin in the futures stretch model. https://futuresfins.com/en-us/stretch-quad-honeycomb-blue-2310-105-40-d…
I some times use a smaller 340 futures which has 4 inch base and 3 and 3/8 high to loosen it up a bit, everything works.
Goofy . Dont worry about what I said . Wasnt really meant for you . U have to remember im an alaia / finless / boogyboarder so I can say stuff like that for a joke .re fins are for beginners . I believe derek hynd is correct saying that when tom blake begun using fins it made it very easy & limited the pre fin era free feel . Crustt I too got some of those fins from kirk b . I dont believe that the 4 all the same size works well , I find bigger in front & a bit smaller in rear go better . BUT I agree small fins are good . For the ds model I recommend standard quads . Not big , try to keep the drag minimal , use as small as possible.
Cheers Crustt and Caml
Freeride, Cloudbreak DS report ?
Coming, the chooks have destroyed my vegie garden and the weeds are up over my head in the citrus orchard. Got some work to do.
Ballina Advocate : Webster talks of his business suffering due to shark attacks/sightings.
I surfed Lennox/Ballina on the weekend and on Saturday crew were buzzed out of the water by the shark spotting chopper at Boulders and Shelly Beach. It made for uncrowded conditions for the Sunday dawn patrol...
Freeride ,Desert Storm Fiji ride report ?
It was mostly 6ft and solid the whole time we were there, couple 6-8ft days and just generally heaps of power and girth. Tradewinds blowing which made for wooly take-offs.
Paddling the DS into the line-up felt so deluxe, like wearing a suit of armour, like being ten feet tall after scratching in on a 6'3".
So smooth ,with the weight and the entry rocker, paddling in felt so damm good. The whole time I was thinking shit, if I had the balls I could paddle into a 10-12ft wave on this. Really, really nice loaded up deep bottom turns and with the area in the tail and quad set-up , easy riding arc off the top.
Nice stable platform to hit the brakes, bury the arm and stand in the barrell. You could ride forward, like an old single fin because of the area and thickness up front.
Only foible was getting trapped into inescapable tube rides down in the shish kebab section, that didn't feel so good getting creamed on the reef with a heavy 7'6" and four fins.
To be honest, it almost felt like cheating, and also to be honest, I was a bit over-gunned. I already spoke to Webby about getting some smaller ones made. Would have loved to have had a quiver of Desert Storms over there.
Big boards= rewards.
Very reluctantly I've sheathed it in a cover and put it under the house, knowing, unless we get a miracle I won't be able to ride it at it's full capacity until next autumn/winter.
Fuck, I'd love to get it out at maxing Outside Corner.
yeeewwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great review fr , but don't be afraid to put some smaller fins in & ride it in small waves . Interesting that you found it concerning to wipeout with . And that partly explains why I make sure all mine have blunt nose and tail with fins that don't have razor edges . Some people are getting normal noses on the DS but I don't agree with this option . That's cos webby is catering for those poor fools that don't understand the blunt nose . I like how you said it's like you are cheating , well thats right but you could say ; like I do "why would you make it so hard for yaself with an anorexic thin board "
Ive got a 70 on the way narrow rnd pin thruster ds...cant wait!!
Freeride , was pistol Pete surfing a DS there ?
I love the blunt nose, so stoked that that has come about.
Been talking to Greenough for years about the dangers of pointy noses.
Might get some smaller fins eventually Caml but right now the bank account is in the red and needing repair.
Penmister, what dims on the 7'0"?
I didn't see Pistol Pete there Udo? Was he there same time?
Around same time I think ? staying Namoutu
19.5. 3 44L. ..same as the website . 6 on the bottom and 2x6 on top..half inch stringer..im on a 60 now but the spirit is gone it...need some knew blood...
So going from 31l to 45l be good.. been over the falls to many times on 6-0 when theres been decent waves..
Fr sandpaper will work . & penmr use a thin stringer . Imo . Udo pete was there im Suprised they didn't meet
Might of got the glass wrong its 6 - 6 + 6. Thin stringer for a smaller ds camel?
The paddling and wave catching ability on it is rediculous. Still haven't used it in waves it was really made for but so far it's been a treat
Penmister I understood the glass first time ok thats absolutely minimum but great . I make sure it's double filler coated too . .if you read all the info I always write & presumably its in this thread earlier . I explained why to reduce stringer to less.. you will save so much damage if you make the shell strong . No dings resale long life no cracks in fins the list goes on . But by putting strength in the center of the board I just don't get it . So many modern boards have proved to be Stringerless & work . Everything can snap but a couple of 6oz each side with a thin stringer surfs best imo . Put years of testing behind the theory . If there was really good quality stringers with guaranteed strengths maybe it would be different . But as is the wood is mainly a traditional thing . Standard blanks anyway , Maurice has told about the high quality apple core stringers in the us that cost more then yeah , different story . But for now that's how I think
Its in webbys hands now camel..i trust he will make me a sick board...
Thanks for helping out..
Everyone is liking them & I think webby gets better every time he shapes a newbie
.im sure ill like mine too camel cant wait....
Caml, youre getting a good wrap from Webby and Pistol Pete re your input into the DS model..well done
And Pa Pistols got one ....which is fucking unreal....soon to see a 60yr old in some stand up pits !