More from The Shaping Bay
pinkadink.papali
said:
Does anyone know if John Gillis of John Gillis Surfboards can still be contacted.
John Gillis (CET) Surfboards
0
alexmagarey
said:
hey guys i am a keen surfer and i have done a project on surf boards.
my question "to what extent can the design featur
beginner surfboard
0
What are they!...full figure 8's....?
Stop poking the monkey, it's not his fault hi mind is caught in his cage
Pistol Pete the tube pig seems to be enjoying his 7'6 DS.
Yes pete & other crew have been stepping up to catch bigger waves easier , im happy to see that the design works for them .
caml , whats the design difference in the DS to say the Twig model?
You can check it out on Websters site . I have changed the rocker from twigs ,thickness profile has more in the nose, outline has narrower nose & wider tail , quad fin placement is my proven positions , I use less stringer wood. Flat deck too . So every single aspect has differences and the similarities are volume is high & weight & strength is high .
thanks caml,but why do you use less wood and also do you use less or more rocker than Twigs bds?
Day 2 on the DS. Two things that struck me: 1; ease of handling and smoothness. I literally felt at home on this board from the first wave. It felt like an old friend, a board I could totally trust from the get go. Absolute surety of handling and response. Paddling in just feels so good, this thing is begging to catch a 10 foot reefbreak or big point wave.
2. How manouvreable, loose, "high performance" it feels. For a heavy, thick board it feels so lively and turnable it's actually quite shocking. I really can't explain that. I though it would feel heaps stiffer. I could put it wherever I wanted it to go very easily. The wide tailblock and quad set-up works a treat. It turns off the outline curve back there and it turns off the rail using the bottom/rail curve.
I think I'm going to build up a quiver of these for good/big waves.
You can read more about the less wood more foam & fibreglass theory on the page previous & then ask any questions after that . Thanks shakman
hey Free76 , can you out paddle a shark?
Rocker wise I think less in the nose . & tail rocker is totally different . Twigs is a front footers rocker & ds is a backfooters rocker that I have worked on for 10yrs . I don't know twigs rocker anymore I only ever got one that was my first custom webster .
The beak nose is also different than a twig nose is more normal . I like them rounded off
That's a bloody good endorsement Freeride! Sounds like you're on to a winner
Agreed gf .Thanks fr76 im happy to hear / read that (Im not the only one who can enjoy riding em ) Happy days for all .
I'm totally jonesing to get this thing into some 8-10ft surf now at CB.
I can't wait for the next big windy day at the Point, as well.
Got 7'6 and 8'8 desert storms off webby around a month ago, have had the 7'6 out at a few of the reefs around home and am very impressed... Paddles like a dream and as a few have mentioned for such thick heavy boards they feel pretty lively under foot. Can't wait to get the 8'8 out the bombie.
Freeride , looking forward to ride 3 report and the DS Piccies.......
What is the bottom contour like on these. I imagine there is a bit of vee from the fins back?
whats the difference between front footers rocker and back foot rocker?
Is there more or less?
Back foot rocker = more rocker
Vee bottom for guns . Dual conc vee for mini guns .
Nose to tail vee but increasing . No flat bottom
Freeride, 7'6 Desert storm Piccies ? ?
Ditto. Post the friggen pics Steve.
Wanna see this beast.
Better still ... anyone got some footage of you surfing it FR76?
Figure 8s HPC hand moves backhand at the ox on a 7'6 is fuckin cool
negatory, I can't seem to find the little cable that attaches the camera to the puter, I know I've got a USB card reader around here somewhere.
Can you use your phone Free?
I think so, but it's a really old phone and it spazzes out when I try and connect it up.
I'll find the card reader , will get it done this weekend.
But it looks exactly like the ones on Webby's site
Yeah get off his case , I got ya back fr76 , , If u want a picture go on webbys site , & for pictures really u should try hassle me . Im the no 1 pilot putting the boards into the most unexpected positions that youd expect a hi volume boat being in .
Well fucken come on then Camel, post some pics! Website photos are OK but a pic of yer stick perched against a shed or a fence makes for a personal touch.
Freeride often does 'em with chooks in the background. Can you beat that?
A shot of you surfing it would be great.
The only thing better would be a shot of you surfing the Desert Storm with chooks in the background.
From Camel..
Beautiful Camel! A fine sense of proportion. Doesn't seem as radically pulled through the tail as some guns are. Maybe the clue to its manouvreability?
No chooks but...
Pretty boring pics sorry no animals or action . But its all I got atm
Dirt background rates but hey ?
Caml, do u know anything about The Visser - Phase 3 model ?
You work with the environment you've got Camel. Fine shots.
Hey Camel whats the size?Good to see a rounded beak .
Think I got a photo with a chook in it
Don't know if we need to see that one Steve..................:)
Top pic 7"6 & bottom 2 8"6
On the contrary, I think I recognise that timber beam.
Would have to be bush chooks ( emu ) or better still actual camels !!
No desert, sub-tropical.
They're fairy wrens at the Point with spring plumage.
What size rear fins fr ? Look quite big ...
Nice, paddling machine....how many litres foam ?
Webby recommended them to me, I know nothing about Futures. I'll see if I can find the pack they came in.
QR-M
caml do you guys use double foiled fins in your quads , like the tow fins?