Get better surf forecasts and support an independent surf business. No ads. No corporate backing.
Swellnet is owned by surfers, not corporations. Subscribers keep our independent content, forecasts and surfcam network running - with no ads for anyone.
Udo your obviously on instagram . Do you have an account or are you just a ghost follower ?
udo
Tuesday, 20 Oct 2015 at 11:06 am
new
Just a ghost follower Caml, always loved that 500k bit of coast ,explored it in 1977-81, working 2 on 2 off in the Cooper basin so lots of solo desert time
Saw that right way way west which we deemed unsurfable then - but new one day it would be tackled.
caml
Tuesday, 20 Oct 2015 at 10:56 am
new
Ok udo .yes theres lots to see on there nowadays . The desertstorm model is going to upgrade into board length under 7"0 soon . Some shortys are being used & made atm
Roy Stuart
Tuesday, 27 Oct 2015 at 08:27 am
new
Video.... ! (please)
caml
Tuesday, 27 Oct 2015 at 09:45 am
new
Video ?
Craig
Tuesday, 27 Oct 2015 at 10:17 am
new
I think Roy is looking for video of the DS in action?
Roy Stuart
Tuesday, 27 Oct 2015 at 01:22 pm
new
Yeah I'm keen as.
udo
Tuesday, 27 Oct 2015 at 01:35 pm
new
Roy, pitmove instagram some traditional Hawaiin timber surfboards....built by an Aussie
stunet
Tuesday, 27 Oct 2015 at 01:41 pm
new
udo wrote:
Roy, pitmove instagram some traditional Hawaiin timber surfboards....built by an Aussie
Ben Wilkinson - Eddie Aikau invitee and great big wave surfer.
udo
Tuesday, 27 Oct 2015 at 01:52 pm
new
And just received a new 11'2 x 22 x........4.31 from Fletcher Chouinard
caml
Tuesday, 27 Oct 2015 at 04:41 pm
new
Had a go on a ds 6"10 @ 45 litre today . Positive about the paddle speed so far & it felt good in the other departments . No clips yet
udo
Tuesday, 27 Oct 2015 at 07:47 pm
new
Caml, as a quad or thruster ?
caml
Tuesday, 27 Oct 2015 at 09:37 pm
new
Unless stated it's quad for me & the ds . Im adjusting the fin position a bit nowadays shrinking the cluster in
udo
Thursday, 5 Nov 2015 at 02:53 pm
new
Caml, insty pic of Pa Pistol whats he riding ..DS ?
caml
Thursday, 5 Nov 2015 at 03:12 pm
new
Sure is udo . A 7"10 quad & hes really moved up just like pete says
goofyfoot
Wednesday, 25 Nov 2015 at 07:58 pm
new
Finally got to test the DS out in waves it was meant for today. Pretty much went as expected, paddled onto waves in a very strong offshore wind easy, turned nice off the bottom and when I needed speed to make sections it didn't let me down. All positive
I'm actually keen to get a 7'0 or 7'6.
Pretty stoked with it
udo
Wednesday, 25 Nov 2015 at 08:19 pm
new
9'0 eh.....as a quad ?
goofyfoot
Thursday, 27 Jul 2017 at 11:01 am
new
.
caml
Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 12:18 am
new
Really a qad well done and in offshore gales perfect size 9"0 !
Used a 7"6 qad with extra convex bottom with soft rails . Good for tube slabs . Increased tail rocker with 53 litre paddle easily .
goofyfoot
Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 09:02 am
new
Yes really camel. amazing hey.
What's the idea with the soft rails on the 7'6?
Craig
Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 09:09 am
new
Was this on the MP Goofy or that other spot..
goofyfoot
Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 09:12 am
new
Other spot Craig
Craig
Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 09:15 am
new
Very nice!
caml
Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 10:28 am
new
How big da waves gf ? The rails are for extreme sucky waves I hope . Possibly in conditions that a normal flat rocker doesn't fit . So if its lowtide, extra sucky & onshore / poor conditions , it might fit in the tube good . The local wave is often surfed onshore & tubing during the lowtide/ sth winds season ( now)
im trying to adapt a type of bodyboard rail into the board just subtley & im working & testing it . And so far thats how it feels but the next one we will sharpen it cos this one feels as soft as I want go
goofyfoot
Thursday, 27 Jul 2017 at 11:02 am
new
That's interesting about the rails, I always thought a sharper harder edge worked better in sucky waves. It will be good to hear the results of how they go
caml
Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 11:12 am
new
Think I know where u surfed , guessing) & I am aware of the size . If it is an exposed coast it was 4@15 with fresh offshore winds . I wasnt too concerned about how big but did wonder if it was the size to truly get the board going or just a practice . Ie 4-8ft practice or 8-15 true test. Or maybe it was dead Centre of those size categories
southey
Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 11:22 am
new
your close to the mark Cam .
Not so sure on the Period though .
It can't of been that small gf , as yesterday morn. wasn't that low of a tide .
I was a million miles away literally and figuratively speaking , but i would hazard a guess of 8-10ft consistent .
Just a test run .
GF , let me know ( not here ) when you want to test it proper and i'll give you a heads up .
good to know your feeling the waters though . Different rhythm .
PS , if you were thinking of trading down to the 7'6 , let me know i might be interested in the 9'0 .
Or infact a lease/ borrow - storage arrangement !?! ;-)
caml
Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 11:27 am
new
Size doesn't matter anyway . I read the bouy data tas & cdc , & I surfed so believe me I know the period whatever
goofyfoot
Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 11:28 am
new
caml wrote:
Think I know where u surfed , guessing) & I am aware of the size . If it is an exposed coast it was 4@15 with fresh offshore winds . I wasnt too concerned about how big but did wonder if it was the size to truly get the board going or just a practice . Ie 4-8ft practice or 8-15 true test. Or maybe it was dead Centre of those size categories
Somewhere in the middle id say caml
goofyfoot
Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 11:34 am
new
southey wrote:
your close to the mark Cam .
Not so sure on the Period though .
It can't of been that small gf , as yesterday morn. wasn't that low of a tide .
I was a million miles away literally and figuratively speaking , but i would hazard a guess of 8-10ft consistent .
Just a test run .
GF , let me know ( not here ) when you want to test it proper and i'll give you a heads up .
good to know your feeling the waters though . Different rhythm .
PS , if you were thinking of trading down to the 7'6 , let me know i might be interested in the 9'0 .
Or infact a lease/ borrow - storage arrangement !?! ;-)
Hahah good try Southey, no I'm not looking at trading down. Just adding to the collection. And yeah you're welcome to try out the 9'0 when ever you want. If Ben or Craig want to pass on my email to you that's fine with me.
southey
Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 11:51 am
new
caml wrote:
Size doesn't matter anyway . I read the bouy data tas & cdc , & I surfed so believe me I know the period whatever
local winds , lattitude etc have an effect on the period too . due to contamination in the swell .
Winds were only offshore for a max of 12 hrs ( including night time ) . your right on the original swell when you look at similar buoys cdc , sorell . but then you have local contamination . Or in your locale and PNPN there is filtration by from either longer distance travelled from wind contamination and or refraction . And to a lesser extent but more so longer period swells shallow bathymetry effects .
caml
Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 11:55 am
new
Crikeys southey cant I just read the buoy data and believe it ? Wrong thread anyway
caml
Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 11:58 am
new
Roga dat goofy . So your getting rid of th e9"0 ? Not !
goofyfoot
Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 04:49 pm
new
Definitely not!
goofyfoot
Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 04:49 pm
new
Definitely not!
groundswell
Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 06:39 pm
new
Camel, may I ask would you recommend one of these for waves like supersuck at say 6ft plus( biggest days and still shallowish, sucky) or speedies on its larger days?
What size board? ( I prefer short usually)
On those maxed out or biggest days I often ride a booger at those spots as I'm more confident on them and haven't really been happy with my performance on pintails in the past.
But at the same time get bored of the lid, been there done that so am interested in these boards.
caml
Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 08:33 pm
new
True hey gf a boog . If have time soon will elaborate on choice of gun . Yes the rails could be sharper & I want to get slight changes & use booger edge tech .
penmister
Friday, 27 Nov 2015 at 02:02 am
new
Ground swell its up to you..these cats have been in the water for ages..so when they make aboard..umm all the waves they have surfed and then they can come up with a board that will give you one wave that took them 1000 to have..thats pretty fucken good..fuck the big words get a ds get fit and try take on a dry wave with boulders submerging...and see what happens....
caml
Friday, 27 Nov 2015 at 10:14 am
new
For some reason groundswell & goofyfoot seem like the same one . Sorry for this , does goofyfoot have a ds too ? Groundswell I will elaborate but the mornings busy today .
caml
Friday, 27 Nov 2015 at 10:18 am
new
Shit sorry mistake again . I cant keep up when goofy & groundy are both on the same thread . I thought I was talking to gf but now gs has intercepted with a question .
cycd
Friday, 27 Nov 2015 at 10:40 am
new
I think a desert storm in the 6'8 -6''10 range would work real well in sucky/drawing waves groundswell ... if I didn't have a money 6'9 in the shed (or when it dies) I will be getting one around this size for sure .... I love my 7'6
goofyfoot
Friday, 27 Nov 2015 at 12:51 pm
new
To many g's
caml
Friday, 27 Nov 2015 at 06:05 pm
new
So now to answer your question about a board for speedies & ss
Ss board I used to ride was 7"0 -6"4 so maybe a 6"10 nowadays .
Speed reef previously my quiver was 7"4- 9"0 so nowadays maybe 7"6- 8"10 . Actually its a bit foreign cos its been ten yrs since being in indo that am not quite sure what board length ds to use in those waves .
groundswell
Saturday, 28 Nov 2015 at 10:32 pm
new
Thanks Camel and everyone, i will save some coin. i wonder if its easy enough to deliver to Gero though.
I like the look of the fin settings, they look drivey.
penmister
Saturday, 28 Nov 2015 at 10:49 pm
new
Drivey with to rear quads in front and a large in the middle...
udo
Friday, 18 Dec 2015 at 08:22 pm
new
Caml, that famous Northwest barrel from 2011......to ride it again like that what size DS would you ride and with what fin setup ?
penmister
Saturday, 19 Dec 2015 at 11:06 pm
new
Pepper pig
penmister
Saturday, 23 Jan 2016 at 11:53 pm
new
There's a nice 8.0 on webster instagram destination camel.....i want the 6.4 webby...
caml
Sunday, 24 Jan 2016 at 12:07 am
new
A 6"4 desert storm u reckon pmr ? ? ? ? That could be fun to ride . Would it be for barrels or turns ??? I mean if I had a 6"4 ds it would be for turns not slabs . But they are designed for tube riding , the smallest one I used is 6"10 so I don't know !
penmister
Sunday, 24 Jan 2016 at 12:14 am
new
I cant turn lol the closest i got was on a dhd quad on a big beach break.it was light and i was heavy.be good to get a board that you want to sell but.
Udo your obviously on instagram . Do you have an account or are you just a ghost follower ?
Just a ghost follower Caml, always loved that 500k bit of coast ,explored it in 1977-81, working 2 on 2 off in the Cooper basin so lots of solo desert time
Saw that right way way west which we deemed unsurfable then - but new one day it would be tackled.
Ok udo .yes theres lots to see on there nowadays . The desertstorm model is going to upgrade into board length under 7"0 soon . Some shortys are being used & made atm
Video.... ! (please)
Video ?
I think Roy is looking for video of the DS in action?
Yeah I'm keen as.
Roy, pitmove instagram some traditional Hawaiin timber surfboards....built by an Aussie
Ben Wilkinson - Eddie Aikau invitee and great big wave surfer.
And just received a new 11'2 x 22 x........4.31 from Fletcher Chouinard
Had a go on a ds 6"10 @ 45 litre today . Positive about the paddle speed so far & it felt good in the other departments . No clips yet
Caml, as a quad or thruster ?
Unless stated it's quad for me & the ds . Im adjusting the fin position a bit nowadays shrinking the cluster in
Caml, insty pic of Pa Pistol whats he riding ..DS ?
Sure is udo . A 7"10 quad & hes really moved up just like pete says
Finally got to test the DS out in waves it was meant for today. Pretty much went as expected, paddled onto waves in a very strong offshore wind easy, turned nice off the bottom and when I needed speed to make sections it didn't let me down. All positive
I'm actually keen to get a 7'0 or 7'6.
Pretty stoked with it
9'0 eh.....as a quad ?
.
Really a qad well done and in offshore gales perfect size 9"0 !
Used a 7"6 qad with extra convex bottom with soft rails . Good for tube slabs . Increased tail rocker with 53 litre paddle easily .
Yes really camel. amazing hey.
What's the idea with the soft rails on the 7'6?
Was this on the MP Goofy or that other spot..
Other spot Craig
Very nice!
How big da waves gf ? The rails are for extreme sucky waves I hope . Possibly in conditions that a normal flat rocker doesn't fit . So if its lowtide, extra sucky & onshore / poor conditions , it might fit in the tube good . The local wave is often surfed onshore & tubing during the lowtide/ sth winds season ( now)
im trying to adapt a type of bodyboard rail into the board just subtley & im working & testing it . And so far thats how it feels but the next one we will sharpen it cos this one feels as soft as I want go
That's interesting about the rails, I always thought a sharper harder edge worked better in sucky waves. It will be good to hear the results of how they go
Think I know where u surfed , guessing) & I am aware of the size . If it is an exposed coast it was 4@15 with fresh offshore winds . I wasnt too concerned about how big but did wonder if it was the size to truly get the board going or just a practice . Ie 4-8ft practice or 8-15 true test. Or maybe it was dead Centre of those size categories
your close to the mark Cam .
Not so sure on the Period though .
It can't of been that small gf , as yesterday morn. wasn't that low of a tide .
I was a million miles away literally and figuratively speaking , but i would hazard a guess of 8-10ft consistent .
Just a test run .
GF , let me know ( not here ) when you want to test it proper and i'll give you a heads up .
good to know your feeling the waters though . Different rhythm .
PS , if you were thinking of trading down to the 7'6 , let me know i might be interested in the 9'0 .
Or infact a lease/ borrow - storage arrangement !?! ;-)
Size doesn't matter anyway . I read the bouy data tas & cdc , & I surfed so believe me I know the period whatever
Somewhere in the middle id say caml
Hahah good try Southey, no I'm not looking at trading down. Just adding to the collection. And yeah you're welcome to try out the 9'0 when ever you want. If Ben or Craig want to pass on my email to you that's fine with me.
local winds , lattitude etc have an effect on the period too . due to contamination in the swell .
Winds were only offshore for a max of 12 hrs ( including night time ) . your right on the original swell when you look at similar buoys cdc , sorell . but then you have local contamination . Or in your locale and PNPN there is filtration by from either longer distance travelled from wind contamination and or refraction . And to a lesser extent but more so longer period swells shallow bathymetry effects .
Crikeys southey cant I just read the buoy data and believe it ? Wrong thread anyway
Roga dat goofy . So your getting rid of th e9"0 ? Not !
Definitely not!
Definitely not!
Camel, may I ask would you recommend one of these for waves like supersuck at say 6ft plus( biggest days and still shallowish, sucky) or speedies on its larger days?
What size board? ( I prefer short usually)
On those maxed out or biggest days I often ride a booger at those spots as I'm more confident on them and haven't really been happy with my performance on pintails in the past.
But at the same time get bored of the lid, been there done that so am interested in these boards.
True hey gf a boog . If have time soon will elaborate on choice of gun . Yes the rails could be sharper & I want to get slight changes & use booger edge tech .
Ground swell its up to you..these cats have been in the water for ages..so when they make aboard..umm all the waves they have surfed and then they can come up with a board that will give you one wave that took them 1000 to have..thats pretty fucken good..fuck the big words get a ds get fit and try take on a dry wave with boulders submerging...and see what happens....
For some reason groundswell & goofyfoot seem like the same one . Sorry for this , does goofyfoot have a ds too ? Groundswell I will elaborate but the mornings busy today .
Shit sorry mistake again . I cant keep up when goofy & groundy are both on the same thread . I thought I was talking to gf but now gs has intercepted with a question .
I think a desert storm in the 6'8 -6''10 range would work real well in sucky/drawing waves groundswell ... if I didn't have a money 6'9 in the shed (or when it dies) I will be getting one around this size for sure .... I love my 7'6
To many g's
So now to answer your question about a board for speedies & ss
Ss board I used to ride was 7"0 -6"4 so maybe a 6"10 nowadays .
Speed reef previously my quiver was 7"4- 9"0 so nowadays maybe 7"6- 8"10 . Actually its a bit foreign cos its been ten yrs since being in indo that am not quite sure what board length ds to use in those waves .
Thanks Camel and everyone, i will save some coin. i wonder if its easy enough to deliver to Gero though.
I like the look of the fin settings, they look drivey.
Drivey with to rear quads in front and a large in the middle...
Caml, that famous Northwest barrel from 2011......to ride it again like that what size DS would you ride and with what fin setup ?
Pepper pig
There's a nice 8.0 on webster instagram destination camel.....i want the 6.4 webby...
A 6"4 desert storm u reckon pmr ? ? ? ? That could be fun to ride . Would it be for barrels or turns ??? I mean if I had a 6"4 ds it would be for turns not slabs . But they are designed for tube riding , the smallest one I used is 6"10 so I don't know !
I cant turn lol the closest i got was on a dhd quad on a big beach break.it was light and i was heavy.be good to get a board that you want to sell but.