Home Made Board Thread

velocityjohnno Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 03:47 pm new

yep have done that too, MDF template & router. My router bit is not long enough!

velocityjohnno Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 03:47 pm new

but it cuts *so* nice

velocityjohnno Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 03:57 pm new

I also find if I exactly copy the outline desired on a template, the template sees the router cut a little away from where it should at nose and tail - no biggie, the board is thinnest there and easy to carve that foam down to true outline. I use router in it's square base for stability, so I guess the difference comes from that.

Edit: the maths: think of the square base as a line, intersecting a curve. At any point it would cut the derivative of the curve dy/dx.

velocityjohnno Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 03:52 pm new

oh yeah, the rocker machine I built when young (no internet: had to design and build it using only WL's description in Tracks!) is nearly 28 years old now, and still cuts perfect to the milimetre. Bottom and deck rockers suddenly got consistent!

velocityjohnno Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 04:04 pm new

Highlight in recent years was putting chambered paulownia blank - that we made ourselves by clamping lengths - on it and cutting surfaces 100% perfect prior to shaping of rails, bottom contours with my son.
That stuff is just so much nicer on the human body to work with, and you can walk it through the house, haha.

udo Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 05:02 pm new
udo Monday, 30 May 2022 at 12:45 pm new
udo Sunday, 14 Aug 2022 at 06:55 pm new

In the Factory with Pieter
A Great Insta page

philosurphizingkerching Sunday, 28 Aug 2022 at 12:58 pm new

Talk of Swaylocks possibly folding.
It seems as though some people are ok with all that knowledge just disappearing.
Makes no sense to me.
https://www.swaylocks.com/forum/110183/what-does-swaylocks-need?page=8

velocityjohnno Sunday, 28 Aug 2022 at 07:34 pm new

Cripes, that would be like the Burning of the Library of Alexandria, of back yard board shaping.

udo Thursday, 22 Sep 2022 at 01:04 pm new

Tips from Big Pieter

I focus Friday, 23 Sep 2022 at 03:16 pm new

Hmm washing hands in acetone, no mask, but still lovely work how's running the hand down the rail to wrap the lap loved it.

udo Friday, 23 Sep 2022 at 04:27 pm new

Fark i cringed at the Acetone hand washing....its Evil shit
Great Home business setup.putting out old school work...love a good Gloss coat
Boards arent Cheap but def getting Top Quality...he only likes to do 2 per week..
https://pieter.com.au/

baphomet Thursday, 13 Oct 2022 at 02:35 pm new

velocityjohnno wrote:

Cripes, that would be like the Burning of the Library of Alexandria, of back yard board shaping.

I agree: I say without irony that it'd be a loss. Such a weird and wonderful place, even in concept: an early 2000's web forum, of not just surfers, but shapers, and not just shapers, but backyarders. That's a three way Venn diagram with a very small space of intersection, you'd think: a subculture of a subculture of a subculture.

I made a separate post asking about it (and so I apologise if this constitutes spam), but I'd love to know what the ultimate decision was about the future of the site. Caus' right now, it's down.

udo Saturday, 15 Oct 2022 at 05:46 pm new

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Indeed the optimal foam mix recipe seems secretive. From what i can find, blank manufacturers are using a high pressure mixing gun to pour the foam into the mold for the best possible mixing, but also for practicality. These high pressure mixing gun machines are way out of my budget and only make sense for large productions.

So I'll probably never be able to acheive the same results as an industrial blank.

However the blanks im making are plenty for my needs. The foam density is evenly spread out throughout the enitre blank without bubbles (by using cooking wax realease paper instead of saran wrap, seems to let the air out). The blanks sands as good as a normal blank. Once i sand the crust off the blank, the texture of the foam is almost identical to a normal Blank. Adding a white pigment to the mix makes the blank almost white.

The mold weighs around 350 kilos, took 3 days to make, and cost me around 250$ in materials. Once the mold is made, the process of making the blank is fast, 10 minute prep work, 2 minutes of mixing and pouring, and 10 minutes of curing. I can start shaping it 20 minutes after it is poured. I could technically pop out a blank every 30 minutes. Right now a blank is costing me 40$ instead of $150+ if i import them (I live in a carribean island with high import and tax fees).

As Mako224 mentioned you can select a variety of foam density to your liking. Now, i'm trying to figure out if just by increasing the amount of liquid into the mold, does it increase hardness of the foam? techinically it increases density but does it also change the hardness of the foam? for example if i poured 1 liter of 2lbs density foam into a mold, would i get the same density/ hardness as 1 liter of 4lbs into the same mold? Both blanks would weight the same, at first it seems like the 4lbs density foam would be harder but the 2lbs foam expands twice as much, so that should create more pressure in the mold which should help with density/hardness... ? So thats where im at now. Like stonerburner said "precise mixing volume and internal mold pressure are ingredients in the secret sauce"

The mold i made was to create kitesurf blanks which is why it is so small, I would love to make a bigger one for surfboards, however the mold would be bigger and a lot heavier. Something like that is very hard to move once made so it has to be created where is going to stay, not sure if i want another massive box full of concrete in my basement right now.

udo Sunday, 16 Oct 2022 at 01:35 pm new

Another Fine Vid from Mr Shrednaught over the West

udo Sunday, 16 Oct 2022 at 02:38 pm new

FCS Plug Fix ~ The Proper Way

linez Sunday, 16 Oct 2022 at 04:17 pm new

udo wrote:

Another Fine Vid from Mr Shrednaught over the West

Yeah udo, his vids are good value.. very informative. Welcoming to questions too.

udo Thursday, 26 Jan 2023 at 12:39 pm new

Add your 'Stretch' Deck Groove

udo Saturday, 18 Feb 2023 at 08:31 am new
velocityjohnno Sunday, 19 Feb 2023 at 04:45 pm new

Ingenious fix, stringer will be a lot thinner in the central part of the board...

udo Sunday, 19 Feb 2023 at 04:47 pm new

= Flex..

udo Thursday, 9 Mar 2023 at 06:52 pm new
I focus Tuesday, 14 Mar 2023 at 02:09 pm new

I do paulownia over EPS for myself after talking to Markus https://www.instagram.com/kingbillysurfcraft/ in the water last year thought I would knock up some twins with channels surfed the 6'2" today actually did what its suppose to yew.

IMG-2876-1
json to topojson

I focus Tuesday, 14 Mar 2023 at 02:11 pm new
udo Monday, 20 Mar 2023 at 08:33 pm new

Farkn Beautiful.. Ifocus the Mastercraftsman.

goofyfoot Monday, 20 Mar 2023 at 08:44 pm new

I focus wrote:

IMG-2873-1
json to topojson

That looks incredible. Well done!

tiger Monday, 20 Mar 2023 at 09:57 pm new

Nice work Ifocus! I've been doing something similar.
https://i.ibb.co/CBVG5bB/IMG-20230210-173210-523.webp

blackers Thursday, 23 Mar 2023 at 04:22 pm new

Nice work gents. Mighty fine craftsmanship.

udo Thursday, 23 Mar 2023 at 04:41 pm new

More Build Pics and more Info please.....

tiger Thursday, 23 Mar 2023 at 09:33 pm new

Here's one I'm working on at the moment. Midlength twin, EPS core, Paulownia/cedar skin. Doesn't have the rails on it yet.
https://i.ibb.co/5hShY98/PXL-20230322-235532118.jpg

seeds Thursday, 23 Mar 2023 at 09:58 pm new

Hey Tiges, how’s it going?
Make me a 7’0 Bonzer 5 with just that outline. Deep Bonza concaves, glassed in side bites in that real purty wood!!!
Come on. How much?

tiger Thursday, 23 Mar 2023 at 10:12 pm new

Talk to me Seeds, you've got my number haven't ya?

seeds Thursday, 23 Mar 2023 at 10:29 pm new

Yeah mate. I still got it.
It would be an indulgence.

seeds Thursday, 23 Mar 2023 at 11:24 pm new

That rail less one, so far, above. What’s the dimensions on that one? You’re calling it a midlength.
And the channeled twin atop that?

tiger Friday, 24 Mar 2023 at 05:51 am new

6'8" X 21" X 2 3/4". Both the same.

blackers Friday, 24 Mar 2023 at 07:02 am new

Quick question for you Tiger, if you are happy to share. Do you have the bead for the hard edge of the channel in place when you vacuum bag the skins on or do you do them separately ?

tiger Friday, 24 Mar 2023 at 07:14 am new

Hey blackers. If by bead you are referring to the edge/wall of the channels, I do them after. Pre shape all contours into core. Then I have different contour mats and negative moulds to form the contours/channels. Hope I'm making sense.

blackers Friday, 24 Mar 2023 at 01:42 pm new

Ace, thanks that makes perfect sense. Beautiful looking boards.

udo Friday, 24 Mar 2023 at 07:39 pm new
blackers Friday, 24 Mar 2023 at 08:30 pm new

udo wrote:

9 years on

https://www.swellnet.com/comment/310521

Unkind but amusing none the less.

tiger Sunday, 26 Mar 2023 at 09:15 pm new

Bit of a look for those interested of the channel detail.
https://i.ibb.co/WvrRDvD/PXL-20230326-032525330.jpg

seeds Sunday, 26 Mar 2023 at 09:27 pm new

Tiger, that must take some seriously time consuming cocking around. Nice!

tiger Sunday, 9 Apr 2023 at 02:27 pm new

Bit of 6 channel sexiness.
https://i.ibb.co/KmCB5f6/IMG-20230408-174516-184.webp
https://i.ibb.co/vQjVscr/IMG-20230408-174516-256.webp

linez Sunday, 9 Apr 2023 at 04:35 pm new

That looks bloody nice Tiger, those channels look perfectly cut... what dims?

freeride76 Sunday, 9 Apr 2023 at 04:52 pm new

Wow, looks absolutely insane Tiger, what's the construction?

tiger Sunday, 9 Apr 2023 at 05:06 pm new

Thanks guys. It's 6'6" X 19 3/4" X 2 5/8". EPS core, Paulownia/cedar skins, XPS rails.

I focus Sunday, 9 Apr 2023 at 09:27 pm new

Thats really impressive Tiger did you laminate the channels?

A 6.0 twin I did recently Paulownia over EPS, Paulownia rails only a 4 channel and my 3rd channel board attempt.

IMG-2856-1
duplicate email finder

tiger Sunday, 9 Apr 2023 at 09:42 pm new

That one looks mad Ifocus, really neat. What do you mean by laminate the channels? This board will be glassed with 4oz both sides, if that's what you mean.

I focus Monday, 10 Apr 2023 at 01:50 pm new

Yeah I normally use 2oz on the bottom 4oz on the deck, I find 2oz doesn't really sit that well on the channels not that 4oz is much better.

My channel glassing is still a work in progress will you round those edges off and rebuild after the glass goes on?

Join the conversation Sign up for free OR Login