More from The Shaping Bay
udo said: 8'0" - 75 litres -$350
https://www.facebook.com/share/16xemDTYXy/
Ex Ox
Desert Storm surfboard1,620
pinkadink.papali
said:
Does anyone know if John Gillis of John Gillis Surfboards can still be contacted.
John Gillis (CET) Surfboards
0
The channels have been sanded a little to allow the glass to wrap over a bit easier, the side lighting is accentuating the edginess of them. I've been using Colan 4oz glass, and finding it very supple and behaves well on channels.
Cheers Tiger amazing work with the cedar I struggle here in WA to find any.
I got lucky with a garage sale find with the cedar. A bunch of 3mm planks of random jointed cedar. Fast running out of it though, can't imagine I'll ever find any more of it. How thick Paulownia veneers are you using?
Thickness varies a bit depending on what weight I want deck and bottom currently 2.5mm to 3mm, did a another 6.0 channel twin recently that came in equal or better weigh wise than a production board.
The XPS rails would save a lot of weight interesting flex too I would imagine.
Ifocus and Tiger, stunningly beautiful boards there. That's the future! Those channels and the method, wow, top work.
We have been left with a heap of cedar after a home reno, to be de-nailed and then cut into thicknesses/lengths. It's beautiful stuff. Can't believe that most reno work it just goes in the landfill bin!
Cheers on the thicknesses Ifocus. Tried one paulownia board with 1/4 inch deck (6.35mm) and even with skeleton/outriggers it came out a bit too heavy...
Thanks VJ. The cedar I've got is a bit all over the place thickness wise. So I'm running everything through a thicknesser down to 2.5mm. I often used divinycell for the rails previously, but found the boards were a little too rigid, one reason I've generally steered away from timber on the rails as well. These things are coming out with performance shortboard weight, but 10X the durability.
Building timber rails = a lot of frigging around plus harder to shape, a lot more time all round.
Pic of a longboard I knocked up wrapped the timber around the nose for the rail
I must have missed this thanks Udo, pity you are not in WA Stu I would finish it off for you the build process seems hard to me if I understand correctly you cut the outline after the rails went on?
Seconds Blanks...Who Cares :-]
Cannot believe he is making money at those prices?
Shit eh...
Support Perko before buying Sideways Asian Build..
---------------------------------------
Coby is also a Finecraftsman
get what ya pay for with the old perko though ...buyer beware.......Coby is ok from what i hear
Yeah.. nah the rail must be formed so it releases also from one rail to the other.
More about the hard edge part of the rail displacing the water in that clip, cool to see such a simple method of showing how the edge works between the transition from hard and the soft though (without any confusion / contribution involved by fins)
Thats an issue I see with the soft rail guns that are so popular / common at the moment, not enough downrail / hard edge anymore, they still look to work but wheres the squirt come from?
Any thoughts Clam?
Its a Cool vid eh.. Swellnet Engineers : Plasticspastic and Pops You like ?
Yeah agree I was being harsh.
Here's that 6'6" 6 channel in its finished form.




What a Beauty...
Tiger why the use of FCS single Plugs...because of the Channels ?
Thanks udo. Yes the fcs 1 are a much easier install with the channels. You generally run a smaller fin template in 6 channel boards, so I find them adequate.
Nice!
AB1s?
Yes AB always had those small fins with really narrow swept out tip. I used to see a lot of his boards back in the day under the feet of Rob Sherwell and Sasha Stocker and the boards were made for all conditions, they had amazingly small fins. Back then I used to run the old yu's in my 6 channels. Lately I've used a small Al Merrick template that work great.
Beauty, Tiger! Can't even begin to imagine how tricky that would have been.
Shapers still make the AB1s, btw. They're very nice fins.
Here's the 6'6" six channel along with the 6'8" midlength I'd been working on. Super stoked on how these boards have been coming out. I get a big kick out of the theory/execution/result/performance process. I've been riding one exactly the same as the 6'8" for the past few months, about as close to a perfect all-rounder for me as possible.




Josh Dowling-level of complexity and aesthetics.
They look unreal, Tiger.
hear hear ....Tiger nice work mate so are you doing orders ?
Thanks Stu and Simba. Yes doing orders, and just knocking out some stock like these ones.
You can Skip reading this Tiger
https://www.nowtro.com/shapers-bay
Always something to learn UDO. I should let it be known that I have spent half of my adult life making surfboards and working in the industry. So I'm not your average "backyarder", just so happens I tinker from home these days.
Master Craftsmanship Tiger ...Beautiful work.
https://www.instagram.com/elixirsurfboards/?hl=en
Thanks for that udo. Trying not to spam on here, but every little bit helps for people to know I'm back on the tools.
Spam away!
Dues owed for the time you spent doing live dawn reports from your previous locale.
https://www.jimmysurf.net/
^^^ Jimmys 9'6" Twinnie
https://www.google.com/search?q=seinfeld+the+jimmy+youtube&ei=rgdmZJXxA…
tell Jimmy he,s dreaming with that stick
~ Coulson Quality Glassing ~
Nice work here Wingnut
For those interested here's a little something I've been working on. I documented a fair bit of the build process on my insta/FB if you'd like to check it out. Udo put a link to it above.




Absolutely stunning work mate.
My gawd Tiger- you're a wizard. Beautiful work. A+++
Have been thinking of converting the spare bedroom into a shaping bay. I am concerned about foam dust so either thinking a double door entry or blocking the internal door and altering to an external entry only. Any thoughts.
Is external light problematic such as windows or glass sliding door.
Also most seem to be painted blue- is there a specific reason.
what would be a minium size needed - can't see me shaping much behond 7ft's.
Any thoughts suggestions appreciated.
cheers
Wingnut.. A 3x3 Garden shed was adequate for All works?
https://www.ffwsurfboards.com.au/ - Great Info from Wingy
Spare room - External Door...Block and fully Seal the other - Foam dust sneaks in everywhere
Black used to popular for room Colour then Blue..Shrednaught has Blue and another nice Colour
Thanks Udo. Ok, external door will be the go.
And the Wingnut link looks like just what i'm after.
cheers.
Thanks for the comments above lads.
And cd a spare bedroom should be more than adequate sizewise for a shaping bay, given most are in the 3x3m range. Colour wise you just want a flat medium to darker colour. Something that won't reflect light too much and give you good contrast against the blank. Just buy some cheap flat ceiling white, tint it with pretty much any other dark paint and you're sorted.
CD
Note the multiple horizontal taped lines on the wall in the photo above(I have never seen this very nifty idea before).
Those lines are a shaping aid which help you check for twists when shaping the bottom.
Just stand at the tail end and as you lift up the tail run your eye down the length of the board noting any areas not horizontal.
Shaping bays need to be longer than 3 metres (10 feet)
10 feet only allows 1 1/2 feet each end of a 7 foot board
You need at least a 2ft gap at the nose end and 4ft gap at the tail end.
13ft or 4metres.
You don't want to bump or move the board especially when shaping the bottom.
Finished off the 5'10" semi fish twin. Super happy with how the bottom contours come out in this one. It's pretty much flat in the entry, running into a double concave, blending into the tail channel which also has vee in the last 12". All vac formed in the bagging stage.




Beautiful tiger. Wish I’d had that board on the weekend!
Cheers etarip. I rode a slightly more high performance version of this board at 6'. Don't think I could've gone any faster in the little 2-3ft runners I was surfing. This is a stocky if anyone is keen.
Superb work Tiger really 1st class being following you on Insta out of the shaping bay myself on the road for a while have enjoyed your work Cheers