More from Wax On
notadmin
said:
Predator on a mission. https://www.instagram.com/p/DM078olTQ4T/?igsh=MXRobDY0aml1amtuYQ==
Test Format
2
andy-mac
said:
[quote=basesix][quote=sypkan]
:..why the fuck would you come to Indonesia?
I love Bali
3139
Rochko B
said:
I have one in those dimensions; it's my favourite board. Instant connection and super carvy.
~ Spotted ~ Gumtree ~ Ebay ~ Facey ~
1395
truebluebasher
said:
Dedicated to Craig's Miraculous Boardswaps & Leggie Swaps
( Lost'n'Found Forward )
Distant memory Guns that resurfa
Miraculous board retrieval stories
11
Jeezus, that's a huge shark. Hope he/she's OK.
Looks like a bite from a pointer exactly where his left shoulder would have been as he paddled. He will be lucky not to lose an arm. . Christ, imagine the view he would’ve had when the beast’s head came up next to him like that. Terrifying.
Hope he’s doing alright. Stay strong mate!
Lucky chap ..agree juvy pointer for sure.
probably shoulda had the 'spirit eyes 'on the bottom
Mistaken identity my arse
https://issuu.com/smorgasboarder/docs/smorgasboarder-september-2011-c2/…
wonder what ol mate is thinking at this point in time
https://www.facebook.com/surfingJournal/videos/512542333326704/
Jeezus, off Bellambi, how wide and big is that bite!
That is why even when i lived a 20 minute bike ride away i never surfed the V#$%^&
Almost as good as the island though..maybe even better even.But some very large whites hang out in those waters. Probably the coal coasts best reef break.
Some of those fickle beachbreaks to the south are always empty even on the really really good days.but there are way more shit days than good days.
Shark Attack WA....any info or news lads?
Today.....Just heard it on the Aussie news that I tune into...
https://www.dorsalwatch.com/report/index.html?id=25777
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-28/man-bitten-by-shark-in-wa/100330…
@megzee , this is all I could find so far . https://thewest.com.au/news/sharks/three-metre-great-white-shark-knocks… On a different note , a mate pulled up at the bluff yesterday and only available campsite was 2klm walk to the bluff , he turned around and headed north. Gnarloo booked for next 2 years, so he was told .
There ya go udo on too it
Cheers Supafreak..... the attack report just came up on the hourly news today....Pretty sure news will surface soon...
Yeah mate, the days of pulling up and driving in tent pegs at your chosen Bluff spot, or cave dwelling are long gone mate....Not sure how Gnarloo could be booked out.....It's a 200,000 hectare station?
Mooring a nice 50ft yacht in the bay might be the next option Super..
“On a different note , a mate pulled up at the bluff yesterday and only available campsite was 2klm walk to the bluff , he turned around and headed north. Gnarloo booked for next 2 years, so he was told .”
Cooked Covid style.
@megzee , Me mate was up there in May and only 25-30 guys, got a massive swell broke 3 boards then went back to sea as a I.R . Seaman . Said probably 100 + now . He’s actually just brought a 43’ cat , so some indo adventures in next few years.
Over cooked Blowin.....Like the camp oven that sat for a couple of hours tooooo long...
Good on him SF.....The way go.....Plus three broken boards at ultra large Bluff or Gnaraloo are trophy's to be treasured....
https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/animals/authorities-probe-re…
Here ya go......
Hang on, hang on.....I thought we weren't supposed to name it that anymore???
The news seems to be he was 'attacked' by a lemon shark while on a fishing charter.
Now if they landed the shark while fishing and it bit old mate then I'm pretty ok with not calling that one an 'attack'.
I don't think MSM got the memo from the scientists about selling fear and the new PR campaign.
Cheers Tubeshooter,
The words "Lemon Shark" and "attack" don't really seem to go hand in hand do they...?
If I was him, I wouldn't tell my mates......
Unless of course it was a "Great Yellow Lemon Shark"
Haha yep Megzee , they are a very shy , placid shark . But they don't like being messed with , I've heard some stories about how nasty they can be on deck when caught in trawl gear or when divers poke or provoke them.
They walk quietly but carry a big stick .
Not quite as bad as the shark attack story I read about that turned out to be a kid getting his thumb bitten while feeding a baby wobbegong at an aquarium .
I can't see news sites changing anytime soon.
Yeah TS,
If he's landed it, dragged it on board, and got bitten while waiting for the poor old decky to de-hook it, it should be called " a serve yourself f...n right " ....
Those wobbies can be a nasty piece of work for sure........one latched on to my mates arm while he was poking around under a ledge for crays a few years ago and it took half an hour for the savage beast to let go..........surprisingly cooked up ok though......
This bloke would confirm that wobbies can overstep their place in the food chain occasionally .
https://www.trackingsharks.com/australian-surfer-bitten-wobbegong-shark/
At least there's no mention of any 'attack' in this one.
I hear they're bastards to skin.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/wa-shark-attack-victim-shark-rider-jumped-ham…
sounds like he got what he deserved...dickhead
Wow .. What a knuckle head. I can't believe he jumped from the boat onto its back like it was a rodeo. He's damn lucky to be alive.
And it turns out he was the skipper and is under investigation by both fisheries and maritime.
I hope they throw the book at him . That was an extremely irresponsible , unprofessional thing to do for everyone concerned and especially given the distance from help.
Unfuckenbelievable
Total wanker, deserved every bit of it.
"I was a bit of an idiot [1] but I’ve worked with sharks [2] for a long time [3]and I understand them [4] and how they go [5]," he told media. [6]" [ his girlfriend]
How can one "boy-man" make so many understatements in one sentence? I count 6.......
In my day we called blokes like him......."super decky's".....even if he was the skipper.....which is no claim to fame anyway.....
Pretty well called it Craig.......but I would add another "Total"......if I may please
haha yeah the idiot part was the closest he came to something factual .
" I understand them and how they go." ...Really?
2014........ 'The 25 year old skipper claims to have ridden 6 to 7 sharks in the past ,,..
"The sharks get a bit of a fright for a second but that's it". ..He says
The article goes on to say,,
'He now has his sights on a tiger shark and if he really gets his confidence he may even try a Great White Shark'
And then what I believe is a somewhat of a disclaimer ,
'Generally speaking jumping on the back of a shark is a very bad idea and although most sharks aren't man eaters, they can still cause massive injuries'...
https://www.trackingsharks.com/guy-tries-ride-hammerhead-shark/
"100km north of Exmouth in Austria."
Maybe don't listen if you have a bad shark phobia. Won't help with your next surf that's for sure.
Pretty hectic tale from a couple of classic WA lads, one of whom survived an attack over here a month or so ago.
https://thegrinreapers.libsyn.com/the-grin-reapers-159-brodie-and-alex-…
There's a pic of his mangled leg on the Grinreapers insta if you wanna see the gory bits.
In the Twitter clip above it looks to me like a hammerhead chasing a little shark or fish which takes shelter behind the fella walking. You can see the little shark shoot towards the man and when the hammerhead peels away you can see the little shark shoot straight towards the shallow water of the shore. It disappears below that bit of whitewash.
The hammerhead was never going near that bloke. It saw him and shit itself
Worth a listen.
Surfers take risks but often the beaches and reefs we surf are pretty barren as far as food sources for big sharks. Quite often we are sort of quiet and our movements are mixed in with a lot of background surf noise. That is unless you surf with a kicker who thrashes the surface every take off - they should be banned - I am sure that is what drew in a shark to my surf a while ago (headed straight at us with purpose in a big wide ocean).
In contrast, these guys were spearfishing off a deep drop off, well offshore, with heaps of fish life. They had the boat which creates noise motoring in, dropping an anchor and provides a big silhouette to catch a cruising shark's eye, They speared a good size fish ten minutes prior - noise, thrashing, some blood in the water. Maybe they had air tanks (assume so) which creates regulator noise.
That is a lot of factors to bring in any big GW within a few kilometres for a look see and then to get them a little excited.
A quiet little surf might get a cruise by from a shark in a low stimulation state of mind through pure chance. But spear fishing off a boat in WA would seem high probability of something coming in to look feeling edgy and hungry.
The mid coast of WA feels damn sharky to me. It might sound strange but it feels even more threatening than the South, SW or NW coasts. Diving offshore anywhere around there…..not these days, thanks.
Re the podcast, the crew interviewed sound like nice guys but their continued use of “like” makes it almost unlistenable. No offence intended if they read this but it really makes the person sound retarded. Have a listen and tell me I’m wrong. It’s an American thing which has unfortunately spread to (mostly) young Aussies. Caroline Marks may be the smartest, best person in the world but she sounds like she’s got an IQ of 30 when she talks.
“And , like, I really, like , caught a wave and, like, did a like turn and , like, it felt so , like, rad ..Like like like like like “
But yeah…..hell story gents.
Did a lot of surfing alone on the Midwest coast WA in the 1990s. Yep it felt lonely at times. A couple of times I saw sharks heading up and down the coast somewhat further out. And knew crayfishermen so heard their tales of what was further out.
Some of the setups are considerable paddles out, too.
Diving out on the islands sounds nuts, but crew do it.
Edit: it's not like, too sharky Blowin. I reckon that the SW is like way way like scarier.
One of the first WA shark stories I read was Bob Bartle lost off Jurien in 1967, bitten clean in half off one of those outer reefs
I surfed and dived the Abrolhos years ago without any worries but those near shore coastal waters look freaky. Not sure why. I used to dive on the hookah for hours around the SW - Offshore Hamelin, bobs hollow etc. It was unbelievable. I doubt I’d have been keen to do the same off Leeman or Dongara . Weird vibe.
I think I remember that Bob Bartle attack. What about the old photos of Henri Bourse(?) on the deck of the boat with his lower leg missing and the horrific shock on his face. Hardcore.
When surfing at New Brighton NSW in the early 70's we would NEVER see any whales . Maybe the old whales guided the others to take a wide birth around Cape Byron due to the whaling station there .
Now you can see hundreds of whales in one day often very close to shore . One of natures most impressive sights is seeing them breach .
How this affects shark numbers I am not sure but would guess it leads to more .
there was a juvenile humpback literally in the lineup yesterday arvo.
Interesting a few are already heading back south this way and very close inshore, ie 10's of meters from the cliffs.
I thought they usually hang out in the EAC heading back south..
https://www.sharkattackfile.net/spreadsheets/pdf_directory/1967.08.19-B…
Horrific
Fucken hell!!!
Just read the details. Imagine seeing that shit
Brazier at Abrolhos much the same .
Who could forget this tank at Coronation....
Have seen a hefty one swim close by at Bowes.
Still think the coast East of Albany all the way out past Esperance is hands down the sketchiest.
Yeah they like doing drive bys at Bowes BD and I agree with you re south coast
Blowin- Like, it is totally, like, unfair for you to, like, say that, like, it's us, like, seppos that are, like, dumbing down the language, like, around the world.
(lol)
Same Same VJ
I heard there was one in Lancelin where a guy fell off a boat or capsized the boat and his family were in a helicopter flying above and the kid started swimming for an island but in the chopper they could see a massive white pointer chasing after the kid swimming.Got him too but the locals all wanted it kept quiet My old boss told me that story and he has family in Lancelin so he wouldnt make it up..May have been in Jurien bay not sure it was 8 years ago i heard it.