Shark Stories

Rabbits68 Wednesday, 16 Feb 2022 at 11:51 pm new

Brutal alright. 4.5m GWS in full attack mode v’s human. Similar to the recent one at Port Beach in WA by the sounds. RIP to both men & condolences to their family & friends. Horrific thing to witness also. 60 years since the last fatal shark attack at a Sydney beach. I was surprised to learn that. When your times up, your times up. Make the most of every day, as simplistic & as obvious as that sounds.

goofyfoot Thursday, 17 Feb 2022 at 05:25 am new

Fuck that’s full on

thermalben Thursday, 17 Feb 2022 at 06:54 am new

Not gonna watch that video.

freeride76 Thursday, 17 Feb 2022 at 07:46 am new

Not going anywhere near it either.
Can't unsee it.

Still getting over seeing Craig Ison's injuries after he was attacked at Evans.

Robwilliams Thursday, 17 Feb 2022 at 08:35 am new

san Guine wrote:

Craig wrote:

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/7f3433f28c44c12ac818f167d77603717cd163b8/0_210_2480_3098/master/2480.jpg?width=380&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=921c04c36a504ef0d6510237403e3e4d

Excellent Craig.

Keeping it simple and such an obvious solution to a traumatic AKA or BKA.

Can also apply great pressure by standing with the heal of your foot to area.. Etrips knee pressure.

burleigh Thursday, 17 Feb 2022 at 10:12 am new

I’m ok with watching it. I think we should know the risky.

Can’t remember who said this but we should be celebrating sharks not fearing them.

They are there every single day and 99.9999 times they know we are not food.

Sometimes they get it wrong and we need to understand those risks and be ok with it

frog Thursday, 17 Feb 2022 at 01:24 pm new

Everything is okay till it is not Not much defence against that sort of hit.

Johknee Thursday, 17 Feb 2022 at 01:58 pm new

burleigh wrote:

I’m ok with watching it. I think we should know the risky.

Can’t remember who said this but we should be celebrating sharks not fearing them.

They are there every single day and 99.9999 times they know we are not food.

Sometimes they get it wrong and we need to understand those risks and be ok with it

I'd like to know how you know what they know

frog Thursday, 17 Feb 2022 at 03:26 pm new

The local interviewed on the rocks said that a bunch of Whites hang off the deeper drop off off the reef all the time there - seen almost daily by people out in boats fishing and divers.

An occasional short surf or dive near such a spot is one thing but the swimmer apparently swam there every day.

Ups the odds more than a bit.

joesydney Thursday, 17 Feb 2022 at 04:16 pm new

frog wrote:

The local interviewed on the rocks said that a bunch of Whites hang off the deeper drop off off the reef all the time there - seen almost daily by people out in boats fishing and divers.

An occasional short surf or dive near such a spot is one thing but the swimmer apparently swam there every day.

Ups the odds more than a bit.

Nah that’s BS - I live here and fish and surf and the whole area is pretty popular with amateur spearos and swimmers and yak fisherman and there is minimal GWS sightings. For sure there might be an occasional one passing through but no resident population. For start the food source is pretty low with no seals and a low density of fish.

Trisso4 Saturday, 19 Feb 2022 at 12:14 am new

I watched the 2 videos of it raw footage, I regret watching it, truly disturbing. More so the footage of the poor fellow being mauled the second time, really horrific. I can’t even believe the person filming with their phone could do such a thing, I would be too distraught.

joesydney Tuesday, 8 Mar 2022 at 09:19 am new

Someone was given a pretty good bump this morning at Maroubra - a couple of teeth marks in the board and crushed rail.

Craig Tuesday, 8 Mar 2022 at 09:32 am new

Shit, stoked they're OK.

joesydney Tuesday, 8 Mar 2022 at 09:34 am new

From the bloke that got hit...
“ I’m fine. Just a bit rattled now. It was like a solid rugby tackle. It smashed me off, but I’m just glad it didn’t connect with my legs and that I got a wave in pretty easily.”

udo Tuesday, 8 Mar 2022 at 10:06 am new
batfink Tuesday, 8 Mar 2022 at 10:06 am new

Sheeeettt! Thanks for the heads up Joe. Haven’t been tempted to go in the dirty water, won’t be tempted for a while I’d say. That’s pretty hairy, and way too close to home.

Was only 3 weeks ago I was swimming and snorkelling through crystal clear water down there. Seems such a distant memory.

batfink Tuesday, 8 Mar 2022 at 10:12 am new

Picked up a coconut off Maroubra the other day. A coconut! Thought I would remove it from getting picked up and taken back out to scone an unsuspecting surfer. A guy came up just after I picked it up and said ‘I was just coming down for that. Wanted to see if he could propagate it.’

I gave it to him, I had no use for it. How far away did that come from? Lots of small pieces of pumice too, some volcanic activity happening out in the Tasman somewhere, or maybe detritus from the Tonga explosion of a month or more ago.

udo Tuesday, 8 Mar 2022 at 11:50 am new
bluediamond Wednesday, 9 Mar 2022 at 03:38 pm new

batfink wrote:

Picked up a coconut off Maroubra the other day. A coconut! Thought I would remove it from getting picked up and taken back out to scone an unsuspecting surfer. A guy came up just after I picked it up and said ‘I was just coming down for that. Wanted to see if he could propagate it.’

I gave it to him, I had no use for it. How far away did that come from? Lots of small pieces of pumice too, some volcanic activity happening out in the Tasman somewhere, or maybe detritus from the Tonga explosion of a month or more ago.

Had a coconut take a fin out once in Fiji @batfink so you probably saved someones fin setup at the very least, let along their noggin. Huey will smile favourably on your actions!

groundswell Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 12:50 pm new

Plenty of sharks hanging around jakes point at the moment, right outside the takeoff zone.
For some reason there has never been a shark attack here.
(Besides a windsurfer who was my friend who fell off his board and drowned before being eaten by bullsharks)

Cockee Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 01:22 pm new

Be a good time to cull Bull sharks as they would be easy to catch at rivermouths ATM. Bastards are not 'endangered' surely?

Supafreak Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 01:23 pm new

groundswell wrote:

Plenty of sharks hanging around jakes point at the moment, right outside the takeoff zone.

For some reason there has never been a shark attack here.

(Besides a windsurfer who was my friend who fell off his board and drowned before being eaten by bullsharks)

Are the “ sharks “ from Gold Coast or Sydney ?

groundswell Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 03:05 pm new

haha nah, they're from the local rivermouth and a local small wave spot that handles NE winds unlike the rest of kalbarri spots.

udo Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 10:45 pm new

# full screen

joesydney Saturday, 12 Mar 2022 at 08:00 pm new

Maroubra cleared again today at midday. Seems we have a small problem?

joesydney Sunday, 13 Mar 2022 at 01:00 pm new

Another one today same time- are we looking harder or are there just a shitload of sharks ?

groundswell Sunday, 13 Mar 2022 at 03:32 pm new

There are a lot more sharks at the moment even in WA

SingleFin95 Sunday, 13 Mar 2022 at 05:00 pm new

groundswell wrote:

There are a lot more sharks at the moment even in WA

happens around this time every year with the salmon run, maybe less so where you are I guess.

Have spent the last 15 years surfing in WA before I took off an extended trip about the country early last year. I actually feel a lot less safe on the east coast.

Don't know if that's just because I don't know the place and am not as comfortable in the water, but with all the rivermouths and murky water and deep gutters on the beaches it feels to me there are more sharks lurking here.

udo Tuesday, 15 Mar 2022 at 10:37 am new

I think Dorsalwatch is having problems atm ..
all Eastcoast pings are being recorded as Bull sharks ?

Distracted Tuesday, 15 Mar 2022 at 12:58 pm new

Maybe all the whites have buggered off with the flood waters, fingers crossed.
Amazing how mobile the Bull Sharks are, there was one the other day that went from Old Bar to Port Macquarie in about 20hours. That’s about 4km/hr without being distracted by rivers /estuaries on the way…. might have heard about the dead cows up the North Coast.

udo Tuesday, 15 Mar 2022 at 02:27 pm new
Craig Tuesday, 15 Mar 2022 at 02:43 pm new

Didn't know bulls travelled that far!

udo Tuesday, 15 Mar 2022 at 02:59 pm new

500 kms Syd harbour to Clarence river- @27 min

simba Tuesday, 15 Mar 2022 at 02:58 pm new

Bull sharks come back after the whites have gone thru summer ,probably depends on water temps maybe too hot for whites atm but rest assured they will be back and the bullies will probably go back up river .

udo Tuesday, 15 Mar 2022 at 03:33 pm new

Simba are you up for another Drift Dive at the mouth of the Richmond when the water clears....

simba Tuesday, 15 Mar 2022 at 04:42 pm new

haha udo those days are long gone and not sure if the coast guard would let you do it now anyway....but it would be interesting if the clear water was in .

Supafreak Saturday, 19 Mar 2022 at 12:55 pm new

Not sure where or how old this clip is .

Distracted Saturday, 19 Mar 2022 at 02:09 pm new

Looks like the hammer head is after that ray or fish behind the bloke.

Supafreak Saturday, 19 Mar 2022 at 02:27 pm new

Distracted wrote:

Looks like the hammer head is after that ray or fish behind the bloke.

Think you’re right, I never picked that up , well spotted.

wax24 Saturday, 19 Mar 2022 at 06:03 pm new

I think that was in Florida. It actually shows how wary they are of us. At least, that is what i HOPE it shows, lol.

joesydney Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 07:38 pm new

https://www.sharksmart.nsw.gov.au/current-program?fbclid=IwAR0m1V0a00Aq…

Rolled out in the eastern suburbs and northern beaches

udo Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 05:38 pm new

Great white sharks do something called Spyhopping
They have the ability to pop their massive heads out of the sea with mouth wide open and look around for seals and other prey while not breathing

Surfers who have been Spyhopped say that you can smell the Sharks Breath
Faark !

evosurfer Thursday, 24 Mar 2022 at 05:12 pm new

I had a white do that to me at a place called Voodoo. Was the most magnificent
looking thing ive ever seen. So sleek and stream lined only thing that
still haunts me still is its big back eye.

mike oxhard Thursday, 24 Mar 2022 at 08:47 pm new

I guess being spyhopped is a positive in that you're not getting mauled to death

Cockee Thursday, 24 Mar 2022 at 09:32 pm new

This happened to me in Vic but it was about 30m away. I kept paddling out but hugged the reef big time. Safety in numbers once I got back out with the pack. PS Wasn't too keen to test udo's 'bad breath' theory.

views from the cockpit Thursday, 24 Mar 2022 at 10:32 pm new

Daniel Craig tried to jump me on a train carriage through Spain once.

wax24 Saturday, 26 Mar 2022 at 12:07 am new

But, did Daniel Craig spyhop you too? And, if so, could you smell Daniel Craig breath? (Prob smells like martinis.)

bluediamond Friday, 8 Apr 2022 at 01:42 pm new

Just a headsup for WA S/SW crew, there's a shit tonne of sharks around at the moment. More than i can remember seeing at anytime at once. Seen both bronzies and pointers.
Pretty much seeing one every second surf at the moment.
Massive amount of salmon about too. Keep yer eyes peeled. Yew!

Join the conversation Sign up for free OR Login