More from Wax On
notadmin
said:
Predator on a mission. https://www.instagram.com/p/DM078olTQ4T/?igsh=MXRobDY0aml1amtuYQ==
Test Format
2
Rochko B
said:
I have one in those dimensions; it's my favourite board. Instant connection and super carvy.
~ Spotted ~ Gumtree ~ Ebay ~ Facey ~
1395
truebluebasher
said:
Dedicated to Craig's Miraculous Boardswaps & Leggie Swaps
( Lost'n'Found Forward )
Distant memory Guns that resurfa
Miraculous board retrieval stories
11
Bnkref
said:
Romy has had some absolute gems the past few months. Today’s is exceptional.
I heart WOTD
4674
velocityjohnno
said:
https://www.surfer.com/news/orcas-attack-great-white-sharks-eat-liver-video
Shark Stories
1552
Positive story out of Bali.
Well this is going to piss a few investors off . It’s just tip of the iceberg however for the environmentally damaging projects happening all over indo . The previous government made its intentions clear when it came to investing in Indonesia , are the brakes getting applied or is it just another ploy to squeeze more money out of the money train .
I'll hedge my bet on the latter SF
I would be extremely surprised if it doesn’t go ahead after a hefty fine is paid , or maybe someone higher up will just take the lot . A friend who is building 7 villas had to wait 1 year before his building permit came through .
Kuta clubs closing , it’s the end of an era . Be interesting to see what attractions will replace them . Some big blocks amongst this lot . Money is coming into poppies 1 with some huge accommodation projects . Give it 5 years . They really need some better infrastructure planning for traffic and flooding problems .
"The internal issues are to be negotiated between the two bodies and [will be] solved shortly," it said…………….In other words…. You pay extra ! https://www.abc.net.au/news/2025-01-23/bali-authorities-shut-down-russi…
It wasn’t long ago plastic bags and straws were banned but they are still everywhere. Every time I buy something , I’m offered a plastic bag . Some establishments have paper or metal straws but many still use plastic ……………Bali Bans Plastic Bottled Water Starting the 3rd of February, 2025https://indonesiaexpat.id/news/bali-bans-plastic-bottled-water-starting…
Agree Supa the plastic straw ban lasted maybe a year?
Very disappointing. The plastic bottle ban will more than likely go the same way. But if you take your own containers and refuse plastic bags and straws that helps, despite receiving a new water bottle every morning courtesy of the hotel.
Its a step in the right direction...
but as mentioned, expected to largely fail
which is better than nothing I suppose
apparently thailand has refill stations everywhere you go, so it can be done... but the will has to be there...
sadly, indo's simply are not ready to address this problem, in terms of infrastructure, or will
it's simply not a priority, and I dare say big wigs like mr. aqua, don't want it to happen...
I see well meaning bule's always on social media saying '...it's about education... blah blah blah...'
which is kinda true, but I 've seen evidence of the school system trying to evoke change for years, same with public education campaigns
the problem is culture
which is a sticky thing to change... most indo's simply do not care...
if one goes to a middle class - presumably well educated - indo household, there that are...
if one goes to a high end purchase place, be it for a car, a bike, a consultant, a doctor, whatever... there they are...
if one goes to a lawyer's office - presumably very well educated - there they are...
any function at all... there they are...
the dreaded, dirty, stinking, single use aqua plastic cup!
handed out with an enthusiasm that appears just plain weird, a status symbol of sorts... always offered, always opened, rarely finished...
there must literally be 100s of billions of them discarded every single year...
the main thing you see washed up on the beaches, but still only a small part of the problem
any real change is still decades away...
sadly
tragic really
Yes those plastic cups with attached straw and rip off plastic lid are scattered everywhere after ceremonies ( not on temple grounds) I would like to see an increase of 100 - 500 rp per cup/bottle and a refund of same amount at recycling stations . It would give the really poor an income & clean up part of the problem . They experimented with adding recycled plastic into bitumen roads that is apparently supposed to increase durability and lessen maintenance but don’t know what happened to that project . Singapore seems to have got on top of their waste problem to a certain extent but like you say Indonesians overall don’t seem that interested.
I would say Pak Frey is in a spot of bother .
That is a good idea.
But to be fair Indonesia is a developing country with so many other issues to also focus on, water bottles are everywhere because you cant drink the water out of a tap,. and many areas dont have rubbish disposal services.
until very recently was a culture that wrapped food in leaves and threw them in the gutter afterwards. which is a lovely idea. maybe legislate getting back to that, rather than plastic-edumacation. especially as petrochemical boardrooms are trying to ramp up revenue streams.
Well ya learn something new everyday .
The plastic cup issue .
This is the not how you speak to anyone when trying to resolve a problem . She’s lucky she didn’t get deported as apparently has previous form of not paying her bills .
What a b….
A quick google finds stories about her skipping Australia owing $1mil to creditors. I’d assume after her sentence she’ll get sent back here to face the music.
Apparently they are allowing her to appeal her sentence so hasn’t been locked up yet but yeah she fucked over Australian’s and now trying the same in Bali . If she needs to borrow money to pay a vet bill then she can’t afford to live there, just another con story .
what a bogan
Keramas is ALREADY destroyed.
Haha Komune objecting, hypocritical wankers
I think this plan to destroy Keramas has 2 chances , buckley’s & fuck all . The cost of construction for a marina like at sanur would be huge . Plus there’s no need , approximately 15 KLMs up the coast lies a harbour that never got finished years ago and was the brainchild of the governor of klungkung who’s doing a 20 year stretch for corruption . It’s on now government land that was purchased from the locals and is the new culture centre for Bali . Funded from Jakarta, the land which was once rice paddies , but was ruined by the eruption of Mt Agung in the 60s . The locals weren’t even sure who owned what and happily excepted the government’s offer . The government filled in this huge area that you can see by digging out a hill in klungkung and trucking it down . There are 4 lane concrete roads in this area and huge monuments at the two entrances . Nothing else has been built yet besides a bridge and the waterway which the river was funnelled into . As you can see there’s a small harbour which has huge concrete blocks on the western side. All they need to do is punch through to the lake which could be dredged also . With the government now owning all this land ( it’s a huge area ) they can attract investors and not necessarily use government funds to finish off what was started years ago . No farming is done on this land , just some cattle wandering around . The area surrounding this culture centre is A grade farming land with a variety of crops being grown .
Marina development, so that involves building some massive breakwaters extending from shore (most probably concrete tetrapod type given its location), dredging and blasting, safe vessel entry etc the list goes on, Is that what they are planning to do?
some real forward-thinking industry goes on around that (once) quieter part of the island, hey @Supa?.. Even when I used to go there 30 years ago, I was impressed with the way they were mining the useless reefs around Candi Dasa to make lime for building. didn't help the bourgeoning scuba-diving tourism industry, but they got some lovely render out of it I hear.
@B6 , I did a trip up the coast past CD in December during a south swell . Hadn’t been up there for about 15 years or more .Unfortunately since they built a wall on the foreshore, it has changed the wave which now has backwash even on a lower tide . Plus it’s now a favourite with the surf guides for Japanese & Euros seeking a secret uncrowded wave . I counted about 30 out & have been told it gets much worse . Didn’t bother paddling out but the area is still really beautiful , even with some super high end luxury villas ( palaces ) Candi Dasa still has a layed back coastal country feel about it .
It’s not Bali but what I noticed about the clip was the warning about different rules may apply in different countries . It has been well discussed before and that article on the indo push was a good one with lots of comments . The thing that blows me away is how many people new to surfing that have learnt through surf schools, end up with a reliance on instructors & guides well after , in some cases years, to catch a wave . I’ve seen the same girl continuously paying 500,000 rp for a 1 hour surf with guide and boat , this has been going on for the last 3 years . She’s guaranteed a wave when it’s crowded , which it is when 2ft in peak season . It’s not just Japanese and European’s doing this , I shook my head when 2 Australian’s about 30 years young paddled out to a spot and were being told which waves to go for .
..prepared to expand Chin?, they seem good people to me.
Most of the cups I saw in Bali, buried and just in top, were those teas they drink. Definately not from Java, which is where everything bad seems to come from in Bali according to the Balinese I spoke to.
A question to the old timers: How did everyone drink water pre plastic bottles in Bali? I've thought the same about other hot, tropical third world countries that have a crazy reliance on plastic water bottles too. Obviously they didn't have to cater for mass tourism but did they just boil river water or what?
tea ...boiled water....or pepsi
In regards to what did they drink out of before plastic came along is a good question, one that I’ve asked myself before. I assumed it was some type of pottery or animal skin. A quick google search came up with this . https://rooneyarchive.net/articles/kendi/kendi_album/kendi.htm As far as java always getting blamed for the plastic problem, I think it’s more of a case that they have the largest population. That clip I put up did identify where the cups were coming from . If there wasn’t organisation’s that were making an effort to do something about it , how far would the government allow the problem to get ? Imagine if nothing was done on the beaches in Bali , wouldn’t be long before nobody visited them . I sometimes stay with a local friend in klungkung and he’s hooked up through the government to tap water that comes from a spring which is ok to drink once it’s boiled. He lives on the doorstep of a weir and many locals wash themselves and clothes here and kids love playing here . I asked if he ever swims in this water & he says no way , he did as a kid 40 years ago when the river was relatively clean .



I thought it would have been clear that I was referring to the presence of Komune Hotel, not the staff amb, who I’m sure are very nice hosts. Probably the last and best off-the-radar break in Bali before they brought their permanent crowd.
The wave has definitely changed since the creek’s original path was diverted.
I feel like a few waves have changed for the worst in the last 10 - 15 years.
Pererenan rivermouth
Keramas
Plus a few lesser know spots
yeah agree, but it was always going to happen eventually, i think what they have done is probably the best result , ie rather Kommune type place than Finns. interesting didnt realise the creek got diverted, where did it use to go?
@amb , this is a google maps photo, pretty sure more water was flowing to the left before kommune was built, it’s just a creek with run off from the rice paddies . I could be wrong that this has had an effect on the wave , maybe it’s more to do with all the natural sand flow being disrupted further down towards sanur with all the groins . So many rock walls now along the east coast further up trying to save the erosion that’s eating away at the foreshore .
@AW , looking forward to this and look , it’s not even that crowded haha
Not the first foreign owned club that becomes a bit too successful, then runs into trouble from not paying a big enough slice of the pie . I couldn’t think of anything worse than going here and standing in a pool with hundreds of others drinking cocktails , pissing where ya stand while getting pissed listening to doof doof and growing sexier by the hour . Ahhhh the beautiful people . https://thebalisun.com/bali-requests-temporary-closure-of-major-tourist…
Always think about Tai Buddha and his Multiple Businesses and what $ he Pays out to keep everything Oiled . . .
All his business partners have the right connections to make things run smooth.
Haha supa, beautiful people indeed.... for a few weeks
He's in with Made Kasim....
On Ain’t that Swell’s podcast with Tai, he said when he was a bit younger and starting out getting these business deals together, he got a phone call off Kasim and I can’t remember the exact convo but it was something like Kasim told Tai to go look down the cliff at Ulu’s and see how high it is. And don’t forget how easily people can end up down the bottom of those cliffs without anyone ever knowing what happened.
Heavy shit!
oh, so finns closure got nothing to do with big punch up?
video doing the rounds of 4 bule taking on security out front, and winning... which is kinda unusual, given numbers of security
hotpants harryman atlas club also got shut down cos some dj was running 'blasphemous' hindu gods images through his set
neighbours be happy for a week or so
Wow. I thought Tai's mum was friend's with him from back in the day and Made had known him since he was grom?
Met Tai and surfed with him a couple of times. Good bloke, and good business man.
Rips....
That's correct Andy. It was just Kasim giving him the heads up on what can happen, i.e, as a friend be careful
Gotcha....
That video is in the link I posted. How long has fins been open ? Couple years maybe ? And they haven’t got permits sorted yet ? Must have been paying someone to operate .
And yet he still manages to gripe about crowded, unregulated lineups while lining his pockets with their money. The hypocrisy of some of that particular set of people with businesses along the Bukit can be pretty grating.
Fins was founded in 2010 , happy to say I’ve never been there .