More from Wax Off
truebluebasher said: Who requested the most despicable reverse hostile cross national sickly song about world's #1 arsehole!
Think tbb should first warn the…
World Music... oops, I mean, music that is perhaps unfamiliar to western listeners because it's from underrepresented places..61
blackers said: A song fer Sussan.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay…
Tunes8,398
lucky-al said: Likewise, freeride76. Will call in next time I'm down your way.
Botany Nerds Ahoy2,639
seeds
said:
Oh shit yeah, I’ve been there a couple of times. Once on school camp and once as a adult 25 years younger than now.
Show us your photos
2812
seeds
said:
Opti said “Anyone who reads your past comments will easily see why you’re not worth engaging in conversation.”
No numbn
All Things Religion Thread
5463
Optimist
said:
Where I live now is perfect…..but I’ve had better in the past.
Where in AUS would you live in you could take your pick?
17
freeride76
said:
You're always going to run the risk of a big flatty busting you or biting you off on light gear and bait hooks.
I wou
Fishing tips
1149
Supafreak
said:
This guy has broken his back in 2 places plus other injuries but this horrific fall didn’t break his spirit, such a amaz
The MTB Thread
315
Udo been eating lunch (super natural meal)and dinner a few bananas for breaky and already putting on weight.im 77kg was 75 two weeks ago.
Been vaping lower mg (mixing half 6mg with half 35mg) ans vaping once every hour or so.No signs of lockjaw or seizures.No
no piss maybe one beer every few days and drinking pepsi max or green tea or instant coffee as soon as i wake up.
Feeling better but still need to give up the vape. surf should be good tomorrow and the next few days next few days on a few days off.
My apartment is currently in plans for a renovation after cyclone Seroja damage where a 40ft by 40ft galvanized corrugated iron reef full of solar panels landed on my back window wall.
The whole wall needs to be replaced its damaged beyond repair and leaks rain.
we also have a plague of mice hitting town so we need 5 mousetraps and rat/mouse poison near the bin.
Other clean houses of my friends have hundreds of mice coming and going as they leave the front door open. Seroja apparently caused the plague.
only once mouse left somewhere in my apartment.
Been shitting twice a day....swimming five or 6 laps every time i jump in the pool which is about 3 times a day but putting on weight on my gut.
I feel much clearer headed not drinking...its been 39- 45'C every day for the last few weeks so cant go on long walks and my pushbike was stolen so cant ride anymore.
Do you think Pepsi max will help me lose weight or is it just as bad as suger filled coke and pepsi?
i drink about 10 cans a day.
no mull, im allergic to it anyway as it messes with my head too much.
My clopixol depot has been reduced to 300mg every four weeks not three to reduce seizures.
Clopixol is really bad for my sex life, havent had a proper shag in 6 years and i had a gf a couple of weeks ago who was always horny trying to take me back to bed but i had to watch 5 episodes of quality kinky porn to get horny....before i could hammer away for hours but now its 15 minutes max then im done and i cant go again a few times like i used to.
hopefully the reduced clopixol will increase my libido but there are hardly any hot single girls in this town, all taken and tinder doesnt work here on a such a small town.But im glad i dont feel like having a girlfriend, most of em have been gold diggers or nymphos who find a new guy every two weeks and inject meth...no thanks.
Well done mate
Stop Vaping - 10 cans of Pepsi max a day ...WTF how about 2 litres + of filtered water
No piss no Pepsi you can soon afford a new bike and Lock
Are you a Male Model...No so stop worrying about your Gut
Healthy and Happy is what your after -
Get your Bloods checked the shit diet you have been on i bet your Vitamin Deficient
Your Doc may help you with those Blue Stiffy Pills
Good Stuff Groundy you wont Know yourself in a Month lots more Energy and after Surf Recovery will be quicker
Keep it up Bro ! .
10 cans a day of Pepsi max?
Jesus christ.
Just drink water.
Squeeze of lemon or lime in it if youre that desperate for flavour
Did you stand up FR? How did the back feel?
describe kinky porn
And 15mins @44 yrs of age aint to Bad !
@groundswell , part of your problem could be too much caffeine from the pepsi which will cause insulin resistance and other problems like how it reacts with cortisol all of this effects your weight. Best you ditch 9 of those cans and drink more water first thing. Ive gone from 3 double coffees a day down to 1 single dose at about midday. Feel much better. Here’s a very short video on cortisol.
Groundswell, you are on the way, keep it up, the crew here have good insights. Agree with substitution of pepsi max for much better water, and reduce/stop the vaping, good luck mate. There are great waves all around you, good time of year is coming.
Hahahah too good
Good to hear Groundswell, give up those Pepsi or any other soft drink, well maybe a can every now and then if you want, just full of sugar caffeine and other crap
Also a call out to blue diamond, hope you are all safe with the fires down that way
Drinking the last bottles of my tonic water i used to drink with gin. Thanks fellas looking forward to more surfing this year..even this summer there have been waves at least once a week somewhere nearby.
If its on out the point though ill be on my esky lid, im too rusty to surf super barrelling waves on a shortboard or fish..my desert storms easy to surf but im saving that for bigger days.
Hopefully a few trips to a sick wave north of the river too with a mate..been a few sharks around lately though.
Step sister or interracial is kinky enough for me and usually the best porn available for free.
Cheers Seaslug. Yeah drove right past them yesterday on the way back from waves. Was pretty terrifying to see how devastating they were....super close to the highway when i drove past. Pretty safe over my way for the moment but being super vigilant. Really feel for those affected, i know crew who have properties and homes in that area...still waiting to hear what's left. The big issue is the massive SW blast coming in tomorrow arvo. Everyone's pretty much holding their breath right now. Just had a look from a vantage point on sunset as the last chopper dumped it's water and headed back to base....it does appear to have settled a bit but hard to tell from a distance. Thoughts to all those doing it tough tonight.
Freeride- Had you been doing much whipper snipping prior to hurting your back?
Anyone had a pinched sciatic nerve? Did mine on Sunday. Hideously painful. Weird part is my lower back is fine which sometimes gives me grief but my hip, calf and foot are super sore. Felt like I turned the corner yesterday but maybe over did the stretches. Work and surfing seem impossible right now.
Yeah I was heavy on the brush-cutting beforehand.
Just had MRI this morning and got the number of spine specialist who dealt with Owen Wrights back injury which sidelined him for 2013.
Hoping to avoid the knife.
Can’t disagree with anything Blowin’s put up here. Current fitness levels are blah, but plans are afoot. Just waiting to get through this summer heat.
My main menace is alcohol, gonna have to stare that one down soon enough. Nothing outrageous, just an every night ritual, never day drink, that would be the end of me.
Particularly like the solo surf trip. Got a few places that hit that up nicely. Even a 3 or 4 day trip on your own can be such a grounding experience. Can be a great way to start up the ‘new you’ experience. Just having time where you answer to no-one, live by your own clock and walk lots of sandy beaches when you aren’t actually out there. Not talking much for a few days just leads to a natural mental quiet. (those silence retreats they do in the blue mountains somewhere, can send people bonkers, a bit, but by the end they are all better mentally).
Will keep this in mind for when I get onto the programme. Looking towards second half of March to get started, got a few things in between now and then that make it hard to get started immediately. Good luck all.
Yes OX I had herniated disc 12 months ago. No real back pain but compressed sciatic nerve causing a world of pain. Unfortunately I had surgery (not that I regret it). It often gets better by itself. You may want to consider a cortisone if it doesn't. If your getting muscle weakness I wouldnt wait too long before seeing a specialist. Good luck. For me I found walking the best low risk exercise for the back.
Goodluck Freeride.
Thanks Flow.
how was the recovery from surgery?
Cheers Flow. Yeah walking`s good. Got to keep my foot straight. Wants to turn out due to the compressed nerve.
Its been slow. Takes ages to get strength back. Doing heaps of pushups and pullups. Im back to normal weight. Been surfing a little bit. I got one wave at Maroubra yesterday afternoon in the biggest surf I been in since surgery. Paddled in straight away as I really wasn't going to gain much and I didn't want to get in anyones way. I cant really surf properly yet but gradually getting there. Hardest thing is getting up but its gradually loosening up.
Shit mate - don’t even think about surgery. You’ve just cooked your back a bit. Eradicate all inflammatory foods such as bread, pasta - all grains , alcohol, dairy. No starchy veggies. No fried crap. Just fresh salads, green veggies and animal protein.
Get back to unprocessed foods and do light exercises such as walking and gentle swimming. Avoid sitting down for extended periods.
You’ll be right soon enough. Surgery is out of the question unless you’ve still got chronic debilitating and unrelenting back issues five years from now.
I’d say you’ve given yourself a bit of an injury for powering on the shipper snipper and your body has become unbalanced around the injury so you’ve hurt something else through other activities. It’ll heal no dramas.
BTW Sciatica will also heal by eliminating ALL inflammatory foods and stretching out your psoas muscle. I’ll post something about this later.
I first hurt my back when I was about twenty lifting a heavy section of pipe. I shift myself thinking I was rooted for life. I saw multiple people about it ( chiro, sports physio , GPs ) and they were all hopeless. The chiro actually said I’d probably have to give up surfing and being a carpenter was no longer an option!
The human body is amazing. Give it the opportunity to fix itself and it will. Surgery is not the answer.
The low level inflammation you constantly endure from shit food isn’t an issue until swelling from a slight injury puts pressure on a nerve and your body’s response is exaggerated by the underlying tendency towards inflammation. Sort your diet out completely. Be dietarily PERFECT for just a few days and the inflammation will cease. The pressure will be removed from the nerve and the relief will be rapid. One day you’ll be crook and the next day you’ll wake up and almost all the pain is gone. A few days after that you’ll wonder what all the fuss was about.
Avoid anti inflammatory medication. I cooked my guts using ibuprofen a few years ago and it took me a while to figure I out what I’d done.
As above.
I've written about it before, and appreciating that not all back injuries are the same, but in 2016 I was immobilised for four months, within which I sought help from many experts in the field: physio, osteo, chiro, whatever someone who works with kinesiology is called, even ending up in the office of a a neurosurgeon at St Vincents in Darlinghurst.
I had the same condition that ended Joey Johns and Gordon Tallis' careers, and this guy worked on both of them.
Fortunately a chance intervention from a friend saw me change diet (I thought it was good, but with experimentation it got better), and move differently: no extended periods in one position, slow but diligent stretching, learn to ease certain muscles while paddling.
Lot of rest too. Which arguably requires the most discipline, cos you're so aware of what's wrong it sometimes feels like there's no improvement.
Be very interested to hear your thoughts on sciatica Blowin
I'm now on Day 41 of no booze, no inflammatory foods (99% organic and local), as much gentle exercise as I can tolerate.
I keep waiting for that day when I wake up and it's all gone, but disc injuries that are compressing the nerve don't always work like that.
Now, I want specialist advice, from the best of the best.
I want a timeline and a path forwards, hopefully completely naturally.
Haven't got 5 years to wait.
? Work opposite side.
Often short term back pain (pinch) and that weird, "can't even stand straight" feeling that follows can come from a brief pinch or touch of a nerve or sustained poor posture or lifting/ twisting and then the muscles around it massively over react and spasm trying to "protect" the area. The involuntary overreaction is the issue much more than the pinch or any structural problem.
A small disc bulge ( which most of us have even if we don't know it) might just touch a nerve occasionally.
It can be an event with a reason (twist, gardening) but sometimes your back just feels odd and you know a two day cycle is coming.
Slater before the pipe masters said his back "felt out" so he did not surf for two days.
In the spasm mode your body can almost refuse to stand straight and do normal movement and you fear to do so when in reality you can and often should.
Your back might feel like it has lost its structure / stability when it is no different to the day before.
Sometimes quick anti inflammatory meds can stop it in its tracks.
Sometimes you can walk it out - long steady walk and try to do so loose and natural actively pretending all is well. The body starts to realise it is okay after all.
Once you realise the problem is the short term spasm not an injury or something scary it is easier to deal with. Time will fix it (days) as will easing back into normal movement and striving not to follow the spasm down its mistaken path. It is usually protecting nothing but a memory of pain.
You can lessen the frequency of these events by understanding your body and the triggers.
- i would never do jujitsu - twisting would trigger it
- nazare - no thanks
- wipeouts - I always focus on being in a half curl, back in symmetry and avoid twists.
- a day whipper snipping (sustained twisting) etc - no thanks
- careful getting out of bed - no weird fast twist
Lived with this for 30 years now. No progression to being worse. It happens once or twice a year. In the early days more often till I "trained" my body to avoid it.
A colleague has the same thing and he "walks it out". The flow of walking is very good for the back.
Spot on FR. No one wants surgery and you can't wait 5 years. All you can do is get professional advice. Weigh up the pros and cons. Every body is different and in the end it's the individual's choice. Even though I had surgery I wouldn't rush into it. But if you're getting muscle weakness it can deteriorate and IF surgery is the answer you don't want to leave it more than 6 weeks.
Stu, I'm very curious to hear more about your diet.
Prior to the injury it was pretty good, we never had sugar in the house, I very rarely eat any kind of dessert, don't have a sweet tooth, however I was getting more incidental sugar than I realised, mainly through bread and pasta. Always figured that because I exercise so much it wouldn't be a problem but I put a halt to it.
Breakfast turned to nuts, oats, fruit, and yoghurt, lunch and dinner was similar but with some meat. Much smaller servings, partly cos I couldn't exercise but it's something I've since carried through to this day.
We don't use much packet food but the things we did buy I spun around and read the white chart on every single item. Got militant about it. 'Ducking into the IGA' turned into a half-hour ordeal. Can't recall exactly, but I think the cut off was 10% carbs and the packet went back on the shelf. Learned to differentiate between fats and indulge in the good ones. Found that reduced cravings for any other kind.
Think I learnt more about the various effects of food in that time than any other period in my life.
Since then, I've relaxed my diet, I'll scarf the odd pie, fish and chips etc, but the basics are pretty much the same: lotta nuts, veges, some fruits, and meats for dinner. If I'm doing lots of exercise - say two or more sessions a day, or big hill climbs on the bike - the serving size goes up and I'll add some bread and pasta.
May i suggest the book called 'The Back Sufferers Bible by Sarah Keyes'.......explains a lot and worked for me......helps you understand how your back works and how to strengthen it and get it working again
Cheers, Stu. We’ll done.
That’s kind of the programme I’m on at the moment too. Lots of fresh tomatoes, avocados, veg, good meat. Odd slice of good sourdough with honey as a treat.
41 days Freeride. Feel sorry for you. Hope you can find a solution somewhere. My daughter is a physio and as some have already said it`s absolute last resort. Good Luck
Stu. Your body may have great healing properties. You've really punished your body and seem to bounce back in a speedy fashion.
freeride i cant recommend ice pack to the lower back , 30 mins on then 30 off and repeat , works for me ive had bulging disc issues before and when it flairs up i do that then stretch like a mofo seems to work for me
Re healing quickly, it find it extraordinary how some do and others don't.
I have my health issues - bouts of depression; rapid weight gain; bla bla; more bla bla - but I heal like a bloody super hero. No idea why.
- Fell off a roof a few years ago onto a concrete path (except my head, which hit a sharp rock.): No concussion, bruising which disappeared in a week, nothing. A few months later I met a fella who'd done the same, and he had since gotten divorced, hit the bottle hard, and was in a complete mental state.
- Ruptured disk and nerve pain + two broken ribs from landing on a sharp rock surfing, and I could barely move: surfing a week later.
I wish I could share some good advice, cause 41 days of back nightmares sound awful, but I just don't know what it is. All the best to you guys, and keep sharing stories and advice.
I've always been in that camp IB.
Same weight now as I was at 19, never had long stretches out of the water in 40 years of surfing.
I'm realising now there are levels to back injuries.
tbh, it's not actually a pain issue. I've got a high tolerance for pain and so I'm lucky, I can sleep at night and go about my daily life without too much distress.
It's the functional/motor impairment of the disc impinging on the nerve, leading to muscle weakness and lack of use in my left leg (back leg).
I feel OK, but can't use it properly.
I thought in the first week it was going to be a case of eat clean, do some basic rehab and one day wake up feeling fine.
I'm realising now, it's a bit more serious than that.
Seems to be a similar injury to what Owen Wright suffered in 2012. He spent 10 months out of the water in 2013.
A big problem is trying to come back too early and re-injuring the disc.
Gunna see Doc this morning and see what he reckons about MRI.
Hopefully get it up to specialist on the Goldy who dealt with Owen and other similar injuries.
Good advice Blowin.
You can't beat first hand experience and solutions. When I did two discs 6 years ago my doc gave me Lyrica to sort out the sciatica. It helped but at the time but I didn't realise it was actually an epileptic medication so won't be going down that track again. Same with all other medication like you say - anti inflammatories and codeine/opiod based pain killers - they just fuck your guts up and make you shit bricks for weeks for a bit of short term relief.
Now I just live with it and watch my diet and do low impact excercises and it works. And the flow on effect from that lifestyle for your body and your daily routines like sleeping, energy, etc is just insane.
Got the MRI back.
L5-S1: prominent left posterior lateral disc protrusion compressing the left S1 nerve root within the canal.
Doc recommends the image guided steroid injection to the compressed nerve root to see if it can take the pressure off and give a chance at healing.
Lunch (wanker alert) chunk of fresh juvey GT caught off the rocks. Fresh picked rocket/lettuce salad with herbs, drizzled with organic extra virgin olive oil and organic hemp seed oil.
Few slices of organic Cudgen sweet potato.
Topped with organic (wakame) sauerkraut.
Mint green tea for bevy.
Anyone had the lumbar (steroid) needle?
Never would have pictured you using the word drizzled ;)
Seriously though great to hear you’ve got something of a starting point for sorting out your back.
Yes FR. Had cortisone injection. First time was 20 years ago for my right buttock pain. It worked a treat. I also had one last year for my L5 S1 area but on the left side.This time it didn't work. This herniation was bigger and I had strong electrical pain all the way to my feet. I could walk quite well immediately after the injection (no pain) however it only lasted a few hours.
You'll soon know if it works. Good luck
Needle to the spine ?
No thanks.
Hope you get better regardless mate.
It would ge great if that lunch cured your pain but I'm putting my money on the cortisone. It helps by reducing inflammation as well as reduce chemical irritation to the nerve.
Freeride76, lunch sounds wonderful, lumbar (steroid) needle not
Is that pretty much the determining factor Flow, as you understand it?
ie if the herniation is too big the steroid injection won't reduce it enough to stop the nerve compression?
appreciate the experience, it helps ask questions.
GP has been pretty hopeless.
I know I walked out of there and said "yeah, nah"
Got home and my wife said "wtf go get the needle".
A broken leg will eventually heal itself, but no one does that.
I could sit around with reduced quality of life trying to heal or give this a go.
pretty sure it can't make it worse.
Maybe.
Humans have been fixing broken legs for 35,000 years
Anyway….good luck.
Yes. FR. Some herniation are worse than others. The mild case I had 20 years ago (pain only to my buttock) was successfully treated with the cortisone. The one last year (excruciating pain to the foot) only helped for a few hours.