Don’t call it a comeback

groundswell Friday, 15 Apr 2022 at 12:12 pm new

Thanks Alfred i have a freezer full of steam fresh veggies that i never eat...maybe that's part of my problem, too much meat. I love avocados but they aren't very good in WA compared to over east.(too hard)
I cut sugar right out of my diet which i thought would help but hasn't seemed to have made a difference.
I will look into eating more fruits and veggies in future.

udo Friday, 15 Apr 2022 at 12:18 pm new

The Future is tomoro A.M.

Supafreak Friday, 15 Apr 2022 at 12:29 pm new

goofyfoot wrote:

Anyone familiar with this guy?

Love to hear your thoughts on his carnivore diet.

https://carnivoremd.com/

https://instagram.com/carnivoremd2.0?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

@goofy , I tried carnivore before it was a thing about 15-16 years ago . Nothing but red meat and fish ( don’t really like kidneys, liver and such ) I only lasted 2 weeks then couldn’t stand the smell when I cooked meat up , body was telling me no more I think . I went on keto when I blew my weight right out and I dropped heaps and felt really good . I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation a few years ago and keto is not the best diet for this condition so now I stick to a Mediterranean diet. I think individuals need to find what works best for them . I have read plenty of people championing the carnivore diet so it probably works for some . I’ve read testimony’s of people that have been on it for 15 years and swear by it . Eating protein does make me feel full and I don’t feel hungry for hours. Intermittent fasting has helped me with weight loss and watching calories in calories out . The free Cronometer is a good app .I’ve read your blood type has a bearing on what type of food you should eat but haven’t really explored that theory .

AlfredWallace Friday, 15 Apr 2022 at 12:29 pm new

udo wrote:

Yeh top advice Alfie...

Dont skimp on cheap Honey...research it Groundy a lot of it is just shit.

udo Friday, 15 Apr 2022 at 12:38 pm new

groundswell Friday, 15 Apr 2022 at 12:37 pm new

lostdoggy wrote:

200grams of biltong is 4000+mg of sodium which takes up 2 whole days of your max recommended daily intake for the week (no more than 2000mg per day)

I didn't know that, i usually finish off 200 grams within two days. I will stop buying it and buy more veggies.

AlfredWallace Friday, 15 Apr 2022 at 12:48 pm new

Udo. You are spot on mate. 99% of honey in supermarkets is just shit. Most claim it’s from this variety of gum tree or tea tree when a matter of fact it’s just a melting pot of the cheapest, easiest they could buy. A European relative of mine purchased when last in OZ so called genuine, you beaut Manuka, only to have it tested upon returning home to find it was made from 8 different honey varieties and no Manuka at all. The best honey I purchase is from www.rawhoney.farm here in Victoria, certified.
You need to purchase Cold Extracted, Cold Bottled, looks creamy in the jar. An upside of using this honey is that I can knock a head or throat cold dead by drinking, lemon, in hot water within honey and grated ginger, well worth trying.
Digressing here, but when you think about a beehive and all of its hexagonal compartmentalised ‘hospital beds’ where the young ones are being produced and nurtured, they are purely drowning in the shit, it’s their elixir of life and can contribute to ours as well. It’s so important that we look after bees, cos at the moment globally, Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) is rife and it’s mainly human induced.

goofyfoot Friday, 15 Apr 2022 at 12:56 pm new

Supafreak wrote:

goofyfoot wrote:

Anyone familiar with this guy?

Love to hear your thoughts on his carnivore diet.

https://carnivoremd.com/

https://instagram.com/carnivoremd2.0?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

@goofy , I tried carnivore before it was a thing about 15-16 years ago . Nothing but red meat and fish ( don’t really like kidneys, liver and such ) I only lasted 2 weeks then couldn’t stand the smell when I cooked meat up , body was telling me no more I think . I went on keto when I blew my weight right out and I dropped heaps and felt really good . I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation a few years ago and keto is not the best diet for this condition so now I stick to a Mediterranean diet. I think individuals need to find what works best for them . I have read plenty of people championing the carnivore diet so it probably works for some . I’ve read testimony’s of people that have been on it for 15 years and swear by it . Eating protein does make me feel full and I don’t feel hungry for hours. Intermittent fasting has helped me with weight loss and watching calories in calories out . The free Cronometer is a good app .I’ve read your blood type has a bearing on what type of food you should eat but haven’t really explored that theory .

Interesting supa.

His theory is organs, raw meat, honey, fruit and raw dairy. Most nutrient rich source of foods available apparently.

No veggies.

I don’t agree with the no veggies part btw

udo Friday, 15 Apr 2022 at 01:10 pm new

Kalbarri Eco Honey
West Coast Honey- GinGin ...buy in Bulk from this mob save some $

caml Friday, 15 Apr 2022 at 01:10 pm new

groundswell wrote:

Thanks Alfred i have a freezer full of steam fresh veggies that i never eat...maybe that's part of my problem, too much meat. I love avocados but they aren't very good in WA compared to over east.(too hard)

I cut sugar right out of my diet which i thought would help but hasn't seemed to have made a difference.

I will look into eating more fruits and veggies in future.

Cmon mate , get real the avocado in west oz is as good as any avo in the whole world!
Try ripen it more and they will soften.

AlfredWallace Friday, 15 Apr 2022 at 01:38 pm new

Udo. Nailed it fella. Plenty of diverse species of floriferous vegetation in your region including Julimar State Forest, Moore River etc. Bees would be going off. I used to live in Albany, we had access to amazing honey because of its diverse flora. Get it into ya Groundswell.

groundswell Friday, 15 Apr 2022 at 02:02 pm new

My friend Bretty Barrel makes honey as a living, it might be good honey im not sure but everyone seems to love it its called Kalbarri Honey but im not sure if he still does it. Ill look into those other companies Udo and Alfred.
Yeah Caml i haven't really given WA avos a chance, checked them a few times and they were much harder than what i was used to over east..I like to spread the avo over a piece of toast for lunch or brekky and didnt have to wait for them to soften. Ill get into them again.
By the way Caml Lumo says gday.

AlfredWallace Friday, 15 Apr 2022 at 03:05 pm new

groundswell wrote:

My friend Bretty Barrel makes honey as a living, it might be good honey im not sure but everyone seems to love it its called Kalbarri Honey but im not sure if he still does it. Ill look into those other companies Udo and Alfred.

Yeah Caml i haven't really given WA avos a chance, checked them a few times and they were much harder than what i was used to over east..I like to spread the avo over a piece of toast for lunch or brekky and didnt have to wait for them to soften. Ill get into them again.

By the way Caml Lumo says gday.

AlfredWallace Friday, 15 Apr 2022 at 03:09 pm new

Good one mate. An apple, a tablespoon of olive oil and honey per day will run your heart like a well maintained V8. Look at all those Mediterranean folk, eating olives and it’s oil, great apples and Ligurian honey, living longer than most people on the planet.
Lumo, now there’s another name I remember from that boozy day in that inn at Kalbarri in 1984. Time fly’s

udo Friday, 15 Apr 2022 at 03:14 pm new

Groundy you would benifit greatly from a 24 hr Fast [ 48 be better]
Deplete the liver of Glycogen...Autophagy would have kicked in to a small Degree giving a
Cellular cleanup and then start a fresh with your new Diet ...

caml Friday, 15 Apr 2022 at 03:36 pm new

Thanks groundy , good avos from souwest wa . As good as anywhere else. Hi to lumo, and Brett barrell while we're at it. cheers mate

udo Sunday, 24 Apr 2022 at 07:25 pm new

Groundswell....its Keto time for you...
And anyone else that want to Trim up and Piss Off the Dad Bod.....indo d ?

seeds Sunday, 24 Apr 2022 at 07:39 pm new

Me!!!!
Thanks

udo Sunday, 24 Apr 2022 at 07:45 pm new

He He ..amazing what just dropping the Booze does for DaD Bods - Keep same Diet but Try 6 weeks Nil Beer...

truebluebasher Sunday, 24 Apr 2022 at 07:47 pm new

Nice one Udo...'ears another healthy diet...
Mike Tyson Comeback Tour (Crew got that right...this won't be pretty & can't end well!)
Mike heads the Pro cannabis Tour with his Edible Mike Bites.
Yep! You can now chew on Edible Cannabis Ears...(You heard Right!)
Chilled out Mike then repeatedly punches the shit outta some Dick Brain on a Plane.
Cannot make this stuff up...all gonna need a new brain after viewing this report!

udo Wednesday, 1 Jun 2022 at 10:10 am new
Island Bay Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:35 pm new

Almost two years, so I reckon this thread needs a comeback.

How is everybody? Anima sana in corpore sano?

Tore my hamstring a year ago, and while I've been walking, surfing, exercising, it's only now that my arse doesn't hurt when driving. Wasn't a full Mick Fanning, but what a shitter of an injury.

Have really figured out what makes me gain weight, and have been good to myself the last month; have gone from 82 to 78kg. Feel almost ecstatically good.

velocityjohnno Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:35 pm new

Hi IB, did the Supra Spinatus with a tear in Feb, first real surfing muscle/tendon bone injury in 33 years of almost always surfing. Been out since then and it's cathartic: not knowing how bad it would be, hearing from others the symptoms could be a 'that's it' moment, realising it will repair in time - then taking that time. It's been a full time this not-surfing thing. Got life in order (more to go), getting teeth into the house, got creative, meditated, healed, rested (I was exhausted after pushing to keep up for the last 2 years) stretched, taught the body how to move and function with the opposite hand, began rebuilding the body. There's a lot to do when you don't surf! And then, just lay on the beach that night watching the solar storm, fuck that was incredible. We're really small in the scheme of things.

Anyway I'm back in the water with baby steps, just sliding around and it's beautiful. Gotta approach it gently so as not to jar. It'll get easier with time. But I think I needed the time away.

Island Bay Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:43 pm new

Nice one, vj. Sounds like you made the most of a bad situation.

Heal well, mate.

Pop Down Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:21 am new

I have been surfing a lot , 4 me , in the last 4 months making a Comeback ( from the near dead ) .

At 64 , 2 or 3 surfs a year 4 5 years , meant I was in Quick Sand , at first and got some help 4 motivation .

Just completed a two week surf trip and body just handled it ( 3.5 injury days from 2 injuries ) , but now wants more ( a few days rest ) .

My Right Shoulder is stuffed and started PRP Treatment yesterday .

Whatever it takes , try and keep surfing .

There is nothing else like it !

Then , when it’s your time to go , U go ( with confidence :) !

dandandan Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:33 am new

Island Bay wrote:

Have really figured out what makes me gain weight, and have been good to myself the last month; have gone from 82 to 78kg. Feel almost ecstatically good.

What was the secret IB? I've been carrying around an extra 8kg since I worked the last election, going to give a proper crack of getting rid of it this season.

goofyfoot Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:37 am new

dandandan][quote=Island Bay wrote:

Have really figured out what makes me gain weight, and have been good to myself the last month; have gone from 82 to 78kg. Feel almost ecstatically good.

What was the secret IB? I've been carrying around an extra 8kg since I worked the last election, going to give a proper crack of getting rid of it this season.[/quote

Burning more calories than what you’re taking in?

Island Bay Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:35 pm new

Caloric balance obviously a part of the issue, gf, but it's much more what I eat. Calorie restriction alone does not do it for me.

- very low carb
- zero sugar apart from odd piece of dark chocolate
- no snacking
- lots of protein
- plenty of meat and fat
- veg and pulses
- first meal after 9am, dinner at ~6.30
- hardly any beer

- Friday and Saturday more freestyle, especially before dinner.

I love good bread, but have found this diet gets rid of bloat, farting, lethargy. Never ravenously hungry, but keen at mealtime. Have dropped 4kg in 5 weeks and am full of energy and sleep better. Sweet tooth barely noticeable.

I think this is how I work, although parts are obviously universal. Not pretending to have discovered some magic formula, just what works for me in my daily life.

basesix Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:13 pm new

great tips and thread, IB

Pop Down wrote:

I have been surfing a lot , 4 me , in the last 4 months making a Comeback ( from the near dead ) .

At 64 , 2 or 3 surfs a year 4 5 years , meant I was in Quick Sand , at first and got some help 4 motivation

Just completed a two week surf trip and body just handled it ( 3.5 injury days from 2 injuries ) , but now wants more ( a few days rest ) .

My Right Shoulder is stuffed and started PRP Treatment yesterday .

Whatever it takes , try and keep surfing .

There is nothing else like it !

Then , when it’s your time to go , U go ( with confidence :) !

kenoath, PoppaD, welcome back, hope the warm waters haven't spoiled it for you back here.
I'm getting to the age where this time of year, I'll look at average surf from the car, have a sip from my thermos, then go home and light the fire. The best thing I've done recently is buy 3 handplanes from Ecto (one metal, one wood and one foam) that I keep in the car.
https://www.swellnet.com/comment/947853
If the breaks aren't much good, I make myself jump a shallow beachy, and at least get wet and get the juices flowing. Allows you to have a play on shallow rock or reef ledges you wouldn't risk a board on too.
(Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, classic, @JF ; )

goofyfoot Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:46 pm new

Island Bay wrote:

Caloric balance obviously a part of the issue, gf, but it's much more what I eat. Calorie restriction alone does not do it for me.

- very low carb

- zero sugar apart from odd piece of dark chocolate

- no snacking

- lots of protein

- plenty of meat and fat

- veg and pulses

- first meal after 9am, dinner at ~6.30

- hardly any beer

- Friday and Saturday more freestyle, especially before dinner.

I love good bread, but have found this diet gets rid of bloat, farting, lethargy. Never ravenously hungry, but keen at mealtime. Have dropped 4kg in 5 weeks and am full of energy and sleep better. Sweet tooth barely noticeable.

I think this is how I work, although parts are obviously universal. Not pretending to have discovered some magic formula, just what works for me in my daily life.

Yeah sorry IB that was a simplistic dumb arse comment from me.
Sounds pretty good to me what you’re doing.
I’m not one of those people who can just go right - no beers, no chocolate, no treats whatsoever.
It’s like I’ve got these two opposing voices on each shoulder going “cut out all that stuff, you know you want to!” and then “you only live once, enjoy life and those things but in moderation!” on the other.

Guess which one always wins haha.

Island Bay Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:00 pm new

Nah, it was a good point! And zero offense taken.

I've tried eating a normal 'balanced diet' and just cutting back, but it does not work for me. Of course when you control what WHAT you eat, you also end up eating less. But by being careful about carbs, and not having beer during the week, I can eat big meals and feel good and not like I'm whipping myself. Letting my hair down (what's left of it) during the weekend, makes it even easier.

Plan is to ease off soon, as I don't want to end up skin and old bones, but stick with the main plan.

For an example of different folks, different strokes, missus IB and i were in Europe for 4 weeks recently, mostly skiing (and eating) in Italy. Same meals, same exercise level, all eating and drinking done together. My wife lost weight, and I piled it on.

Now at least I know what to do to curb it, and that I can drop it again by being disciplined for a month.

blackers Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:36 pm new

"not having beer during the week" - that works for me too, a couple of stubborn kilos shift pretty quickly.

Liney Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:57 am new

velocityjohnno wrote:

Hi IB, did the Supra Spinatus with a tear in Feb, first real surfing muscle/tendon bone injury in 33 years of almost always surfing. Been out since then and it's cathartic: not knowing how bad it would be, hearing from others the symptoms could be a 'that's it' moment, realising it will repair in time - then taking that time. It's been a full time this not-surfing thing. Got life in order (more to go), getting teeth into the house, got creative, meditated, healed, rested (I was exhausted after pushing to keep up for the last 2 years) stretched, taught the body how to move and function with the opposite hand, began rebuilding the body. There's a lot to do when you don't surf! And then, just lay on the beach that night watching the solar storm, fuck that was incredible. We're really small in the scheme of things.

Anyway I'm back in the water with baby steps, just sliding around and it's beautiful. Gotta approach it gently so as not to jar. It'll get easier with time. But I think I needed the time away.

Liney Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:05 am new

Hi VJ,I had a supra reattached to bone 2006,all good till 2 years ago,more tears in shoulder,talked to surgeon but decided against further surgery due to long recovery time ,had injections but no joy.I’m Surfcoast also,who did you see regarding re hab etc for your shoulder?

simba Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:11 am new
Pop Down Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:22 am new

Simba

Peter Lewis is treating me with PRP and some Growth Stuff .

He told me he has been doing it for 14 years but it’s only taken off in the last 12 months , due to AI , in his opinion .

The treatment really helped my left shoulder two years ago .

My right shoulder has a bit of Everything that is stuffed . If PRP helps my right shoulder , it’s a miracle and I am very hopeful !

velocityjohnno Friday, 17 May 2024 at 10:59 am new

Liney wrote:

Hi VJ,I had a supra reattached to bone 2006,all good till 2 years ago,more tears in shoulder,talked to surgeon but decided against further surgery due to long recovery time ,had injections but no joy.I’m Surfcoast also,who did you see regarding re hab etc for your shoulder?

Hiya Liney, BeWell in Grovedale are excellent, try Dr D he's great. In my case it was a tear rather than off the bone, 9mm x 15mm. I think I may have initially been misdiagnosed by someone else, far out the forced movement hurt when we thought it was just a bursitis. I had been pitched on a 4ft wave landing upside down and getting right arm wrenched backward, then toughly (stupidly) gone back out and tried to catch a couple more because tough. And stupid. Further stupidity before correct ID was trying to do yoga to boost the 'healing' flexibility. I will get a cortisone shot as both osteo and doc think in my case it's OK to do this. Have you had a scan to work out exactly what/where is the injury? This was recommended by mates and all medical practitioners.

Now I'm on a set of exercises/weights and getting better, it's one step forward one step back some days but overall range of pain free motion is increasing. I've lost all the strength in my big shoulders, feel weak as compared to before. But that's OK, I'll rebuild them. I've had the cup treatment which sure felt better and looked hilarious, have yet to do the acupuncture but might psych up to it. I'm thinking of going for uplift style full body rebuild instructions to set the next couple of decades up as surfing ones.

I have about 6 new boards I want to shape, just letting the blanks age for now as the planer up on the shoulder is probably a bit early. I should learn it all left handed but am not as precise.

velocityjohnno Friday, 17 May 2024 at 10:57 am new

Island Bay wrote:

Caloric balance obviously a part of the issue, gf, but it's much more what I eat. Calorie restriction alone does not do it for me.

- very low carb

- zero sugar apart from odd piece of dark chocolate

- no snacking

- lots of protein

- plenty of meat and fat

- veg and pulses

- first meal after 9am, dinner at ~6.30

- hardly any beer

- Friday and Saturday more freestyle, especially before dinner.

I love good bread, but have found this diet gets rid of bloat, farting, lethargy. Never ravenously hungry, but keen at mealtime. Have dropped 4kg in 5 weeks and am full of energy and sleep better. Sweet tooth barely noticeable.

I think this is how I work, although parts are obviously universal. Not pretending to have discovered some magic formula, just what works for me in my daily life.

IB this is the stuff, agree with the choice of diet. Came out of summer doing this in similar good condition. I'll try to keep it up over winter but that's harder with the colder weather, the yummy carby dishes and the body's demand to add fat to be a healthy walrus in the cold water.

velocityjohnno Friday, 17 May 2024 at 11:20 am new

One further tip, I reckon my young one did a similar shoulder injury last year, on top of a very injury prone year... his shoulder was a big snowboard jump, hit ice on the landing and fell flattish with the shoulder forced backward. He's back in the water now and injury does not hurt, I got to watch his recovery. Early surfs just hurt him so he backed off for a number of months. He would get pain on fast movements (sometimes reflex or inadvertant) - can relate to this. When he started surfing again he reckoned he had no strength, would float around and get caught inside for much of the session but he was also trying to surf a very hi-po board with less paddle, so being forced into being pitched for the takeoffs more. Now on a bigger board with more foam under the chest he's getting in with 1-2 strokes, easily, no pain, and back into it as he rebuilds his paddle fitness around work. He still does the strengthening exercises from time to time as he feels they are an insurance to avoid pain at work or in the surf. I'll probably be following a similar path.

I came across quite a few people I know going through the shoulder tear process, this was a bit of a revelation. To see them on the path to recovery helped me ("about 90%" my yoga teacher said), I had no idea they were hurt at all; and to see mates get back into the surf after being sore or just unable for a long time is great.

simba Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:03 pm new

Pop down.... yes i was one of if not his first patient........hes a black belt too if ya didnt know so its quite common to see sports stars walk thru the door for prp or stem cells.....Also if the prp doesn't fix your shoulder stem cells will.....well they did on mine anyway...

flollo Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:15 pm new

velocityjohnno wrote:

One further tip, I reckon my young one did a similar shoulder injury last year, on top of a very injury prone year... his shoulder was a big snowboard jump, hit ice on the landing and fell flattish with the shoulder forced backward. He's back in the water now and injury does not hurt, I got to watch his recovery. Early surfs just hurt him so he backed off for a number of months. He would get pain on fast movements (sometimes reflex or inadvertant) - can relate to this. When he started surfing again he reckoned he had no strength, would float around and get caught inside for much of the session but he was also trying to surf a very hi-po board with less paddle, so being forced into being pitched for the takeoffs more. Now on a bigger board with more foam under the chest he's getting in with 1-2 strokes, easily, no pain, and back into it as he rebuilds his paddle fitness around work. He still does the strengthening exercises from time to time as he feels they are an insurance to avoid pain at work or in the surf. I'll probably be following a similar path.

I came across quite a few people I know going through the shoulder tear process, this was a bit of a revelation. To see them on the path to recovery helped me ("about 90%" my yoga teacher said), I had no idea they were hurt at all; and to see mates get back into the surf after being sore or just unable for a long time is great.

You have to do strength exercises regularly. Especially as you’re getting older.

Pop Down Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:48 pm new

Great feedback Simba !

Peter is a little bloke but he does seem tough .

Really enjoyed talking to him and he really told me off for smoking 2 , a teenager response he termed it :)

I told him I appreciated the Therapy session as well .

He had an Extra Growth stuff , which he recommended ( $60) which I went 4 and perhaps is Stem Cells ?

The PRP was very Natural Stuff and I believe Peter is a Leader in healing Longterm Issues .

An option I will fully investigate before surgery .

Liney Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:52 pm new

Thanks for the advice VJ,will follow up starting with Grovedale.

Island Bay Monday, 5 Aug 2024 at 12:31 pm new

Few more months down the line, so a quick update.

75kg and steady - lost 7kg. Still don't feel like I'm on a diet, and I'm really not, just a new regimen. After learning more simple high protein recipes it's been a very easy time. Blood tests say I'm now burning fat, not sugar (triglycerides down from 3.1 to 0.3), and a complete lack of hunger pangs confirm this.

Still freestyling on weekends, and just spent 11 days on holiday in Aus eating treats and drinking more than usual (not much beer, though). Did not gain any weight, so there's definitely been a shift in my metabolism.

Wish I'd known this 40 years ago.

On the downside, my back and left shoulder is fucked after an injury, but I'm mostly surfing ok again. Life and its ups and downs.

seeds Monday, 5 Aug 2024 at 02:17 pm new

Well done IB!
What do you ask to identify in the blood tests ie. those levels? You’ve put up the occasional pic. Don’t sweat mate, you’re doing alright!

velocityjohnno Tuesday, 6 Aug 2024 at 09:07 pm new

Good to hear the progress on the diet IB and that it's working months later, heal up on the shoulder and back. How was it that you interpreted the results of the tests to conclude a metabolic shift?

I'm back out in the water now, expanding my horizons, regularly doing strength training and have done diet a lot like you IB so down 3-4kg. It's a good change. Enjoying food more too, many varied veg and quality proteins. A little more offbeat, been doing a little hydrotherapy too with things like the hot/cold shift of Scotch showers on injured areas.

Something positive has also happened, I'm not addicted to surfing any more, no more pushing myself to go out frequently and having that joy wither away. What has happened is that I'm liking my sessions more, know when to come in, and invest time out of the water so I can really enjoy and be present when in the water. To be honest all the little clean days this winter have been a blessing.

Liney how are you going?

Join the conversation Sign up for free OR Login