More from Wax Off
truebluebasher said: Who requested the most despicable reverse hostile cross national sickly song about world's #1 arsehole!
Think tbb should first warn the…
World Music... oops, I mean, music that is perhaps unfamiliar to western listeners because it's from underrepresented places..61
blackers said: A song fer Sussan.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay…
Tunes8,398
lucky-al said: Likewise, freeride76. Will call in next time I'm down your way.
Botany Nerds Ahoy2,639
seeds
said:
Oh shit yeah, I’ve been there a couple of times. Once on school camp and once as a adult 25 years younger than now.
Show us your photos
2812
seeds
said:
Opti said “Anyone who reads your past comments will easily see why you’re not worth engaging in conversation.”
No numbn
All Things Religion Thread
5463
Optimist
said:
Where I live now is perfect…..but I’ve had better in the past.
Where in AUS would you live in you could take your pick?
17
freeride76
said:
You're always going to run the risk of a big flatty busting you or biting you off on light gear and bait hooks.
I wou
Fishing tips
1149
Supafreak
said:
This guy has broken his back in 2 places plus other injuries but this horrific fall didn’t break his spirit, such a amaz
The MTB Thread
315
Hi AW.
Couple of things I live by ..
' you never look back at your life and wished you worked harder.' or spent more time away from family
From g:land bloke 75 + still surfing. ' your leasure time is just as important as you work time.'
'You cannot own too many surfboards '
Btw have read Finnegan's book twice . Love it.
Nearly went to Maderia in 94 but for various reasons didn't.
One of the big regrets of my life..
Reposted this for VJ, in case he missed my reply on the other pge
Ashsam. Driving on the left is easy, it’s remembering to look the opposite way to what we do, I had many a close shaves in traffic when first visiting Sweden.
We have a few things in common, we both surf, we eat good nutritious food, we are deadly good looking and we have Scandinavian connections.
I was recently married to a Swede for 29 years, 11 months and three weeks, didn’t quite get to 30.
As Max would’ve said, ‘missed it by that much’.
I also love Norway, isn’t it good , Norwegian Wood. ( there you go B6, I have got a musical bone in my body).
Nice people, too fucking cold for me. My marriage ended because of surfing.
So now, I attend ‘board meetings ‘ as regularly as I like, the ocean is the elixir of life, literally, plants evolved in the ocean and animals moved out of the water and onto land and some went back into the water.
A bit of a metaphor for life really.
To you and you’re lovely and your families on both sides of this wonderful planet, I hope you all have a good time . Tack sa mycket. AW
Andy-Mac. That’s so good, I love surfboards, got about 16 all up . I’m collecting a new Arakawa 6’6” twin fin on Sunday, can’t wait to have a crack. I’ll post a photo when it’s in my hot ‘hand models ‘ hands.
My uncle in Point Lonsdale in Victoria is 78 and still rips on a 6’8” pintail. He’s always inspired me, looks 55-60 years old.
The sea is the best.
Well after reading Barbarisn Days, I went to Madeira, went to Jardim do Mar, what a beautiful place. Waves all over the island. Plant life was fascinating also.
You sound like a great bloke for a surf trip. AW
Thanks AW, sorry didn’t work out with your wife, near 30 years is a long time.
Lucky for me mine has no issues with my surfing. Only 25 years though ;)
I have had my business for 32 years, I don’t do the work though have sub contractors , just quotes, ordering and book work etc. So physically haven’t worn myself out.
I can’t tell you what I do as I have told where I live and it will be easy to google and find my name/address/phone as I have a website with all that on it. Not that you would :)
Envious, Jardim de mar before harbour,/ rock wall or after? Sounds like incredible wave,
So many there by looks of things...!
Waves that is...
Ashsam. All good. Mom’s the word. Never know who is stalking,scamming etc. better to be safe than sorry. AW
Andy-Mac. Hi. I was there after the wall, it’s slightly affected the wave, you can see the backwash a little.
But still a powerful wave that’s almost as good as it was in William Finnegans days.
It was only 2ft when I was there, even then, you could see the power in the swell and the sweep/current. The little towns just near there also have quality waves , Paul do Mar from memory, that all break so close to the shore of each village. Great people and great food. AW
JellyFlater. I’m always building decks, very rewarding and good cashola.
So, true, so true. Always hitting the deck, yeah, you’ve gotta watch out for suburban militia in Geelong and the Surf Coast, always panning, listening for gunshots, ear to the ground so to speak , never know when you’ve gotta duck for cover when the bullets appear, (oh, they’ve got a rabbit I see) , anyway I’ll hit the deck and rip carve that skate park in the sky whilst banging in a few more screws whilst holding my deck. Twisted. AW
- ^ sounds like a brief but spectacular take on what it means to hold a deck ;)
.....thanks AW, enjoy ya w/end ;);)
Gillard allso had the NBN paid for, all with public monies and every other country in the world that did the nbn was paid by big business and finance sector etc etc.
Since the nbn the corporate entities have made biggest profits ever, specially the banks.
Again another example of labour's corporate welfare for "mates".
Another effect the nbn had was heaps public servants and white-collar workers stay home for work and the city coffee and snack bars miss out on customers.
The nbn overseas was set up for big business and paid by them, we have been deceived by all parties and media outlets for allowing this to happen with no critique or expose of this!!
I do not have nbn only 5g, wifi and hotspot.
The hackers, gamers, crooks et all love the nbn.
The question to ask is who is advising this dullard?
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/climate-change-dutton-to-pul…
Re old Mercs. I had a '72 280S many years ago. First drive out of the city was a revelation after years of driving Australian or cheap 2nd hand British. Was a bit concerned about how such a relatively small 6 would drag tons of metal to claimed mph . Got to 60 thinking "yeah she's working hard " .Kept the foot down and approaching the ton it got quieter and quieter - just a hum and went round corners like it was on rails. This was early '90's and when new that car was state of the art.
I remember Mercedes used to bring out some funny adds.
Most of the old ones look like they'd handle like a boat, but I've heard they were surprisingly stable.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>
An old girlfriends Dad had an immaculate 1960 190SL, red with a white removeable hardtop. He was an ex-Wallaby and Barrister. I couldn't believe he would let me drive it. Even cruising around the northern beaches of Sydney that car still turned heads.
My Uncle Laurie , not my real uncle but close family friend had a limousine business in Adelaide with a fleet of Mercedes. He drove the beatles around when they hit Adelaide in 64 . He sold an old merc to dad really cheap and we twice drove from Adelaide to cairns in it , never missed a beat . I would sit on his lap aged 12 and steer on the open road. It had the weird speedo that would change colour as you went faster, from yellow to yellow red stripes to fully red . Classic old beast .
Yep, know that feeling well H2O, it's the twin carbys. The engine mostly runs off the first one but when you get out on the open road the second one kicks in and the thing gets this whole new power range.
Amazing engineering.
Far out Zen. Cruising the Northern Beaches in a Red/White 190SL, the girl's old man's car, roof off, hair in the wind. Must've felt like a king. Those things are just about top of the range for collectors these days. Worth more than a house. The red on white is the one. Not much HP under the bonnet but what a cruiser.
It was a fun car to drive Adam from memory but didn't handle nor brake too well. Tbh, I felt much less like a king and more of a clown actually. It wasn't me. Plus, I couldn't really enjoy it cause I was shit scared of dinging it. It was a nice thing to look at though.
The 'old man' must have liked you Zen.
I'm guessing he was heartbroken after the split.
She was. Not so sure about Dad.
Jeez Zen...
Was old gf's dad named Peter?
Yes.
R00ney.. are you.. by any chance... peter's daughter...?
Nah my daughter is called Amy, not ROOney
Zen...
I know Peter, I know the car and I know the girls.
A mate married one of them.
Small world.
No b6...I am not his daughter hahaha
Ha ha, there you go. Is a very small world at times. Great memory from 25 years ago. Nice people.
https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/kings-birthday-honours-for…
Who you know, carries more weight than “what you did”
Well the good ol NACC is certainly a fizzer...
https://kangaroocourtofaustralia.com/2024/06/09/how-nacc-commissioner-p…
Dutton moving up the popularity list…Albo the swiftly princess moving down.
1 hit wonder as Australians wake up.
Andy-Mac. Hi . No surprise there, that’s how Australia has done and is still doing business, “nothing to see here’.
When are we ever going to move on , tax the wealthy in both business and personal life, hold people legally accountable for their actions, serious or otherwise.
We are the classic nation of pushing everything under the carpet in the hope everyone will just forget about it over time.
Problem is, many of us have very good memories.
Backwards nation in a sense. AW
wind wars
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https…
https://amp.abc.net.au/article/103951940
you surprised?
labor made it a fizzer
the uni-party protects its own...
Zen. If you have a spare 90 odd minutes have a watch of this. It touches on how flawed our current economic system is and where it should probably be heading. I'm an economic chump too, but found this quite interesting.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Cheers Gary. Mine was more of a rhetorical question but as you know, I live in a country, hate to use the word 'decline' but everything here seems actually ok. Also, there's not the pressure here to earn earn earn as most things are affordable on an average salary- you can buy a house, a decent car, take a holiday every now and then and put a bit away for a rainy day. I don't really know what more you could want.
Edit: I know what I wouldn't want- the cost of everything going up exponentially but no corresponding increase in value.
Zen, I think social cohesion plays a very large part in the question you're asking. When a nation feels unified then there's a self-policing aspect to greed; people take a dim view towards those taking more than their share - greed and avarice are frowned upon. When it isn't unified, the shackles come off, people view the setting as innately unjust so think it's their right to more, and not only does that happen without question, it becomes celebrated.
Cue accelerating inequality and all its social ills.
Does anyone else think that Jeremy Rifkins 3rd industrial revolution vision is being hijacked by Klaus Schwab and his 4th industrial Marxist style revolution.
I dunno Opti, but AI and transhumanism are scary things, to me. We are always evolving, but i don't think we are meant to evolve away from our humanity.
What makes Klaus Schwab Marxist? Marxism=workers own the means of production.
Klaus Schwab=“You will own nothing and be happy”
I think you might be getting your ideologies mixed up Opti.
Farce...
https://independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/albanese-gov…
1000% increase of serious academic misconduct at Sydney Uni from '21 to '23
Imagine being the student that does all their own work, are you the honest one or the sucker?
"Thousands of students have been accused of cheating and paying others to do their work as the record number of misconduct cases forces universities to beef up their investigation departments.
The large-scale return of international students has reignited fears of a cheating black market linked to visa fraud, while forensic IT advances have helped investigators find more cheating students."
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/thousands-of-students-caught-cheati…
Really think that Uni's and schools have to go back to good old examinations in controlled environment.
With fraud and the rise of AI such as ChatGBT, it makes essays, assignments, reports too easy to cheat.
That's exactly what's happening at my son's high school.
Still do lots of group work, reading, home projects, but come crunch time they're locked in a hall with no devices allowed.
Yes, that’s not changing in a hurry.
Btw, the Uni’s have been dealing with misconduct/ cheating for ever. They have run anti-plagiarism software for decades . The fact they are picking up “thousands of cases” suggests their systems are still working. Glass half-full, it will be the same with AI,
I agree, mostly. I work in the sector, and the general response from uni is to be open about AI usage - provide a 'statement on the use of AI' with your paper, asking what prompts etc.
You can't fight it.
However, so far plenty of students are pretending they wrote it themselves the lying buggers! it's going to be really difficult once ChatGPT can tailor writing to your personality (which is, what, a week away?)
Speaking to my wife this morning, she also works in the sector, and she's of the opinion that kids are being given mixed messages in that they can use AI to research or confirm theories but can't use it for final work and citations. Research skills have slid so much that many students can't discern between the two, with my wife thinking there oughta be a more clear stance on AI.
Or at least I think that's the point she was making.
Also, kids are feeding output from one LLM into another LLM to reword passages that would otherwise be caught by uni software.
Then there are those kids handing in work with AI time-stamps still on them...
At a school level it has made research style tasks essays etc a whole lot easier and not really being regarded as plagiarism.
For example, say if the assignment was along the lines of 'Prepare a Business Report to why the Australian government intervenes in the economy using fiscal and monetary policy to improve living standards of Australians.' 800 words.
Kids can put that into Chat GPT and get an idea of what to write without the normal research practices.
Then they can take note of the key points mentioned, and go and find relevant sources for these main points and then rewrite using their own words, using correct citations etc.
Makes tasks such as this super easy, saves reading a lot of material and I guess it is not technically plagiarism, but are they learning? I don't think so.
I guess 30 years ago for a research task you were in the library reading books and taking relative notes, then google made that a whole lot easier to find specific info, now AI ChatGBT etc do all the work for you as far as research goes.
AI should be embraced as it has a lot of uses, but how we grade/assess students whether school or Uni level, things need to change, and as previously mentioned, keep the group work and assignment-based learning but for examinations, back to the hall, closed book under exam conditions.
My 2cents....