More from Wax Off
truebluebasher said: Who requested the most despicable reverse hostile cross national sickly song about world's #1 arsehole!
Think tbb should first warn the…
World Music... oops, I mean, music that is perhaps unfamiliar to western listeners because it's from underrepresented places..61
blackers said: A song fer Sussan.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay…
Tunes8,398
lucky-al said: Likewise, freeride76. Will call in next time I'm down your way.
Botany Nerds Ahoy2,639
seeds
said:
Oh shit yeah, I’ve been there a couple of times. Once on school camp and once as a adult 25 years younger than now.
Show us your photos
2812
seeds
said:
Opti said “Anyone who reads your past comments will easily see why you’re not worth engaging in conversation.”
No numbn
All Things Religion Thread
5463
Optimist
said:
Where I live now is perfect…..but I’ve had better in the past.
Where in AUS would you live in you could take your pick?
17
freeride76
said:
You're always going to run the risk of a big flatty busting you or biting you off on light gear and bait hooks.
I wou
Fishing tips
1149
Supafreak
said:
This guy has broken his back in 2 places plus other injuries but this horrific fall didn’t break his spirit, such a amaz
The MTB Thread
315
The argument re when the Japs began whaling seems never ending .
Does it really matter if it was 200 or a thousand years ago ?
Everyone , Japs , Eskimo's , Aboriginals etc should stop hunting whales , Dugongs , Dolphins , Seals etc .
Anything that is endangered eg Turtles , Blu Fin Tuna etc . If their numbers explode then we can start again eg White Pointers .
I don't care if it is now part of their cultures . Change it back to when it wasn't . Time to change !
As was mentioned earlier many cultural practises need to stop now . The Inca's did human sacrifice FFS . These are unpalatable today . Female genital mutilation etc .
Surely everyone can agree on THIS issue ?
https://www.facebook.com/100000999174831/posts/4759651197411472/?d=n
here Hutchy ,read this , how from a blackfellas perspective we need to heal, and why....and how!
I am not sure if you like poetry but I find it quite a beautiful poem, relevant to how to heal and become one Nation!
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/truth-telling-what-it-means…
Brutus - thanks for the article . Beautiful poem .
I think most people relate to the wonderful feeling of going home . When coming home from o/s the feeling started when getting on a Qantas plane . Seeing my family and friends .
It must be much more intense for an Aboriginal . Their closeness to the land is not something I think I can really understand . It would be very special .
The example of his grand mother not being able to buy a home is something we all can unfortunately experience . It will be hard for my children to do it .
This was the only suggestion I saw in the article on what to do now to make the future better of Aboriginals .
"I’m having a go at building a healing centre there so we can help heal this nation Australia. It feels right to do that. In some ways I am helping to fulfil my great-grandmother’s dreaming path."
A great idea ! I would like to discuss this more . Are they being built ? ETC .
But we need to do much more don't you think .
A great read brutus. Truly belonging to country must be a wonderful thing.
BB that's the vision for the future of every elder I have spoken to..........that We/Australians have an amazing culture and WE belong to our country......as I have said , there is not a blame game.....its understand our past and develop a National identity based on our First Nations , with the inclusion of all the western/eastern cultures that now live here.
How easy is it , if we drop out bias's and prejudice's and just be Australian!
Hutchy19 - “ The example of his grand mother not being able to buy a home is something we all can unfortunately experience . It will be hard for my children to do it .”
Hutchy I may be mistaken but I took it as the grandmother wasn’t able to buy a home because she was Aboriginal. Not because she couldn’t afford it..
What year is this?
yeah he wouldn't understand how much of an insult calling Japanese Japs is........I have personally experienced Foreign Shapers using the term , not knowing it's and insult.....getting to the Airport with their chauffer , he then hands them a letter , basically saying," thanks for your work, but we will not wanting you to come back to Japan again!"
You can’t call them Japs! That’s as racist as calling an avocado an avo! Australians only shorten words cause we hate so many things - like barbies and our relies!
Hiccup knows this is hate speech and he’s defending the weak and innocent from internet comments. Stunning and brave.
Is that what you're doing? Defending the weak and innocent Hutchy19? How noble.
No. You’re being stunning and brave by defending a nation of 100million people from innocent Australian vernacular uttered by a sole person on the other side of the globe.
DC Comics might be interested in a character like yourself. They’re always on the lookout for a template for a new breed of Superhero.
brutus, having moved to Yuin country a couple of years ago it made me think that it would be great to be able to access a welcome to country, a bit like a citizenship ceremony, that informed people of the history and culture as well as addressing sensitivities and any important sites they wished to inform people about. It would be a great privilege and help open up communication. But that would be up to the local elders.
Another sick burn from everyone's favourite bloke what goes and says "bloke" a lot. Good work, bloke.
Sorry I didn't realise that calling the Japanese Japs was offensive . Was just rushing a post ,
I do now see it could be offensive ( not meaning to be ) unlike Australians being Ozzies , American being yanks , Europeans being Euros or Danish being Danes .
I will not do it again . Thanks woke police . You are right this time .
Well done hutch. Blowin knows that distinction, but tried to play it off as otherwise, as he's a shit bloke.
Hiccup….please describe to me why Jap is offensive. Perhaps you should frame it as though you are relating it to a Japanese person who had assumed that an Australian had merely abbreviated the word as they do every other word.
Remember….you are in 2021 when animosity towards Japanese people is basically nil amongst the Australian population, not 1953 when the horrors of WW2 were still in the minds of Australians.
I’ll make it easy and put it into context…..
Scene : Road to surf break in Indo*. Exchange between a surfer leaving the beach and another arriving .
Aussie surfer 1 : “How was it? Crowded?”
Aussie surfer 2 :” Yeah, pretty good. Crowd is mellow. A couple of Brazzos, a Jap or two , a few assorted Euros. Get out there mate.”
* Aplogies…..more derogatory terms apparently! I always forget how offensive the word “Indo” can be.
Hmm. I'm coming around to your way of thinking. We legalised gay marriage. I guess we can bring back calling people "poofters" now. Maybe only to young gay fellas though. Y'know, the ones that are too young to remember it being thrown around liberally.
Poofters could be considered derogatory. Jap is a simple abbreviation.
I reckon you should come around to my way of thinking as you’re obviously bereft of any thinking of your own and instead you are forced to repeat, without analysis, things that you overheard others say. Cause you sure have no reason to considers Jap as anything offensive in 2021.
Do you consider it offensive to refer to a Balinese as a Balo? Do you get weepy when a Balo refers to you as a Bule? And Bule isn’t even a happy abbreviation.
Fuck mate. You think animosity towards Asian people in Australia is basically nil? How interesting.
Fantastic disingenuous display. *golf clap*
You think all Asian’s are Japanese?
Give it up bloke.
Find the evil hate speech in that exchange between the surfers I provided as example.
Yes. All of them
Who said it was evil hate speech? "Japs" is usually just casual racism. Of course, you know this.
@blowin , I think you need to ask the race off people you’re referring to if they find it offensive, I personally find calling aborigines ‘abo,s’ offensive, you can say it’s a shortened word but it is , in my opinion , offensive.
I think the time in history and the tone in which shortened populations names are used is what deems it offensive or not. When someone calls you an Aussie it conjures up thoughts of fun loving beer swilling larrikins probably from the day the world started watching Paul Hogan. Same with Euros, Brazzos, etc.
When someone calls you a Jap it generally conjures up images of emaciated Australians being abused by Japanese soldiers and was probably a polite term used by diggers of the day for an ethnic population they thought were real c$%#s. Which is probably why that term is considered offensive in today's changed world.
Here’s a novel thought : Just because one person finds a term offensive-by-proxy , it doesn’t make that term offensive. People trying to police language should mind their own Ps and Qs and stop trying to impose their arbitrary baggage on others. If you were Japanese and took offence I would gladly walk you through my reasons for using that word. You may still take offence but that comes down to imposing your culture over mine. I might agree to not refer to you personally using that term out of politeness but if I’m using the term in good faith I will continue to use it elsewhere. That’s life.
How many times do you hear the term White used as a perjorative these days? Every.Single.Day. Does anyone on here feel the need to step up and demand such obviously derogatory language is halted? No.
Yet here I am using a word in good faith and people try to vibe me for it? Pfffft. There’s loads of Japs. A hundred odd million or so. Some are good and some are bad, but it’s my culture to refer to them as Japs. That doesn’t make me a bad person.
Vic Local calls anyone with a slightly differing opinion a stupid dopey cunt. Does anyone suggest to him that others may take offence? Nope. If language is so subjective then I’ll just pick my language and you pick yours and let’s just forget the word fascism.
Yes folks it's another sad and pathetic attempt at self-justification by the champ. Will anyone ever manage to go lower? Will he be able to top this outstanding example of his total disregard for respectful behaviour? Stay tuned for the next 30s to find out.
The question is ….would you really help if someone was struggling with mental health? I realise you think it’s a clever way to accuse someone of being crazy and to make fun of their potentially unstable mental state . Something you would never condone had i done so myself. Blindboy would never accept it either. But here you are both looking away as you punch down at someone you think is emotionally troubled.
Got a bit of “Can’t go any lower” approbation for that action, BB?
Since you responded with hostility to my suggestion that you had mental health problems I assumed that you were somewhere in the general vicinity of normality. If you do have genuine problems my suggestion would be to get out of here for an extended period, which is what I did, and see a mental health professional, which I also did. If not, at the very least talk to someone who knows you well about the problem. Until then, when you post material attempting to justify insulting and degrading behaviour,you know what to expect in return.
It's not a novel thought though is it. Not even close. It's the same old tired excuse that gets thrown around every time some drongo starts banging on about "cancel culture" and "pc gone mad".
BB - you wrote this in response to a post ( that wasn't directed at you ) I made on the climate change thread .
"Hutchy you won't be advocating for net zero because you are profoundly ignorant.
You sound like you have lived your life in an intellectual puddle a couple of millimetres deep and have been such a loud mouth self opinionated fuckwit that people just gave up on trying to draw your attention that it is no longer 1973."
Perhaps this comment you made could be directed to you ?
"Since you responded with hostility to my suggestion that you had mental health problems I assumed that you were somewhere in the general vicinity of normality. If you do have genuine problems my suggestion would be to get out of here for an extended period, which is what I did, and see a mental health professional, which I also did. If not, at the very least talk to someone who knows you well about the problem."
No mental health problems here. Stuck around here for a few days and spending more time on the internet than I should. But reading is sort of boring me and I want to write thanks to over caffeination. Rain clearing so I might be able to get a bit of work around here done once things dry out. Northerly pumping.
A bit bored more than anything but I’m tied within the vicinity of a couple of rooms. Doing a bit of research on some projects. A few callisthenics here and there.
Mental health pretty damn good thanks to diet , exercise, clean living and no stress.
I must always come over angrier on here than I hardly ever am. The insulting shit is usually a bit of a piss take. I do think there’s one truely dull individual on here amongst the few I don’t gel with. I reckon that in real life I’d get along with most on here and the shitfights are superficial.
See what I mean about writing….
A smart fella would assess each instance on its merits and not divide the world into two camps- White hatted Pure hearted saviours vs Black hatted evil unrestrained.
Did you ever stop to think that maybe someone who doesn’t want to talk ill of an entire nation of people may still refer to them as Japs? Did you ever stop and put something into context and when they actually tell you straight out that it’s not intended to be offensive, you actually give them credit to talk they way they see fit?
I have mentioned on this thread to Blue D that I was offended at being asked to not think like an old WHITE man .
I told him so but it made no difference so I got over it .
Wow, imagine a world where blowin gets to determine what is and isn't a racist term.
Blowin gets to call people whatever he likes, and if they take offence, blowin gets to say "just because you find a term offensive, it doesn’t make that term offensive."
Fuck me blowin, you're like a character out of the 1970s show Kingswood Country or On the Buses from the UK.
I find it hard to believe that anyone that considers themselves clever, as your fart-sniffing self obviously does, wouldn't see fit to alter their language in even the smallest of ways, knowing why a certain term is offensive, and has been for a long time. Maybe they're not as switched on as they think they are. Maybe they've just reached a point in their life where they're so resistant to changing anything about their personality, no matter how odious, that they don't care if they're on the wrong side of history.
You can say Iap with affection, you can say Japanese dripping with hate.
Same with anything. Disallowing words is ridiculous in most cases. Obviously some words are employed as hateful so often that they are frozen in that context. Even that may not be permanent. Times and attitudes change.
Often times words are designated as hateful purely in order to shift goalposts. There’s zero difference between say “coloured people” and “people of colour” but one is deemed offensive and the other reverential. I don’t under the difference.
I find it hard to believe that anyone that considers themselves clever, as your fart-sniffing self obviously does, wouldn't see fit to alter their language in even the smallest of ways, knowing why a certain term is offensive, and has been for a long time. Maybe they're not as switched on as they think they are. Maybe they've just reached a point in their life where they're so resistant to changing anything about their personality, no matter how odious, that they don't care if they're on the wrong side of history.
The opinion that using the word Jap is on the wrong side of history is utterly subjective. I’ve used it my whole life and in 90% of instances it’s been well intentioned. The word is the same, it’s the delivery that changes. Surely you can account for this nuance and be able to accept that I don’t feel the need to outsource judgement on that to other people. Where do you stop when you start pandering to the vacuous whims of others who want to control you? As long as you know you are well intentioned then that should be enough for others. There’s plenty of times I’ve been impolite, rude and insulting but referring to the Japanese people as Japs is- in this instance- not one of them.
The word Bloke is inoffensive enough but there would have to be little doubt that when I’m referring to someone as Bloke, I obviously am less than impressed with them. Is Bloke in itself derogatory? No. I weaponised Bloke with the intent to dehumanise the people I vehemently disagree with. They’re reduced to a trope of every dickhead I’ve ever met. Yet no one is crying when I bandy Bloke around except for the excessive overuse.
...and a false equivalence.
You didn’t read it did you Bloke?
Did you even pause to consider anything I said? If not….why would I give a rat’s arse how you feel about my language?
Yeah. I read it. You're just tripling down on the same dribble.
@Blowin,
I was surprised to find out that 'Jap' is offensive. Thought it was equivalent to Aussies, or Danes, but a bit of digging shows it's not the case. Sure, it's a bit of overreach by Hiccups but why go in so hard to fight it?
And yes, I've read everything you've written and often have debates with my wife that language should be judged on intention, but why not treat it as a learning moment rather than dig into well worn patterns?
It's a big, wide world after all.
Also, you think you've weaponised the word "bloke", but in reality you just sound like a boof-headed wanker. Carry on.
Don't need to do any digging. Google "Jap offensive", and the first result is a wiki entry on the word.
Then there's this
https://www.japan-talk.com/jt/new/is-the-word-Jap-derogatory
Ah Hutchy! Did i call you old? Didn't know ur age so sorry! Dont actually remember doing that but i'll take your word.
Hey hutch you incessantly posted for weeks on end a question to all of us about HOW we can help move forward in regards to Indigenous Australia. A few days ago i gave a fairly thorough reply, to which you either ignored or didn't see... and again, above, i see you're still asking HOW!!?? You've been a noted pest on this thread so if you're gonna ask questions but not respond to the answers, but then still ask the same questions.....i dunno...you see where i'm going with this?
It’s just more anti authoritarianism on my behalf.
I don’t particularly like conforming my personality to the whims of others. Especially when their demands are arbitrary and basically nonsensical. There is absolutely nothing wrong or derogatory about my using the term Jap in good faith so fucked if I’m changing to suit someone else’s sensitivities. They can change theirs to suit mine. It’s their problem. It’s actually their Non Problem, as they don’t find it offensive themselves, just another sleazy offence by proxy takedown.
I’ve asked Hiccups to review my use of the word in good faith and find it in his generous heart to perhaps evolve to the fact that the term isn’t meant offensively. He doesn’t respect me enough to find the time or energy to re educate himself to my world view. Good luck and goodbye is my next thought.