More from Wax Off
truebluebasher said: Who requested the most despicable reverse hostile cross national sickly song about world's #1 arsehole!
Think tbb should first warn the…
World Music... oops, I mean, music that is perhaps unfamiliar to western listeners because it's from underrepresented places..61
blackers said: A song fer Sussan.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay…
Tunes8,398
lucky-al said: Likewise, freeride76. Will call in next time I'm down your way.
Botany Nerds Ahoy2,639
seeds
said:
Oh shit yeah, I’ve been there a couple of times. Once on school camp and once as a adult 25 years younger than now.
Show us your photos
2812
seeds
said:
Opti said “Anyone who reads your past comments will easily see why you’re not worth engaging in conversation.”
No numbn
All Things Religion Thread
5463
Optimist
said:
Where I live now is perfect…..but I’ve had better in the past.
Where in AUS would you live in you could take your pick?
17
freeride76
said:
You're always going to run the risk of a big flatty busting you or biting you off on light gear and bait hooks.
I wou
Fishing tips
1149
Supafreak
said:
This guy has broken his back in 2 places plus other injuries but this horrific fall didn’t break his spirit, such a amaz
The MTB Thread
315
@ Supafreak
I highly doubt anyone scripts her speeches, if you listen to any of her interviews they dont differ from her speeches, as you can see with her speech the other day she isn't reading notes, everything she says is things she believes straight from the heart.
Guy and you might likes to critique her because of association with Nats, Murdoch, IPA thats fine, but remember these are media outlets and organisations who support her and provide a platform to give her a voice, of course she is going to also give them praise for doing so, nothing wrong with that, its also how life and politics works.
Would she also love to have her voice heard on ABC or in the Guardian without any negative twist, of course she would I'm sure she would love to get her message out there to as wide audience as possible.
Anyway id honestly rather talk about the issues rather than the person, its kind of been a bit done before, you know i love her, and i know you guys don't thats fine.
I hear what you’re saying indo , if you watch all of the video I put up she is reading her speech, nothing wrong with that . Her praise of not just the murdoch family but of Tony Abbot and Gina has a certain smell about it .
and, speaking of racism, 'structural racism', and wicked problems...
found this an interesting watch
in these times of a push to not lock people up...
seems the biggest problem here - and the complaint from aboriginal people - is the propensity to not enforce adequate penalties...
possibly a form of 'structural racism' if you will...
not advocating either way, ...just a somewhat damning example of'damned if you do, damned if you don't...
truly diificult problems with no easy solutions
@Supafreak
Ha ha I just watched it all, kind of funny actually because she is grinning so much when she says it maybe she thought it was BS or knew how some would react.
Yeah she is reading from a script here, not the best video kind of a bit blah blah telling the audience what they want to hear very scripted style type thing i even had to fast forward the last bit, bit hard to listen too, she is at her best when not reading from a script or playing up to an audience but more in a natural conversation style interview type setting talking in depth about things..
I think that goes for most people though, i think that's why long length style natural conversation podcast these days are so good, people being interviewed can really open up and explain thoughts deeply, instead of scripted or short one sentence interview type answers and you can get a much better insight into their thoughts and who they really are.
BTW. Listened to Anthony Kedious of RHCP yesterday, didn't seem as much as a dick as i thought he was, well he didn't sound like a dick at all, and i was surprised that he surfs these days, the way he was talking sounded a bit of a kook, but definitely could hear the stoke in his voice when talking about surfing.
"Coconut" can be a very offensive term when used despitefully.
On the other hand, I know a few blackfellas who are pretty liberal with the word and use it to take the piss out of each other regularly.
Better call in the S.C.U to work this one out.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Looks like Jacinta Price should be charged with a 93B - identification with intent to assimilate, profiting from coconut activities and thinking she's deadly when she's not.
And I bet she's got a cheese knife too.
That story isn't that uncommon GS.
Got to say your comment about Jacinta being like a climate change denialist is a bit dramatic. I don't know her and I would think you don't either.
I find it a little confusing when people talk with such conviction that she is wrong and doesn't represent any of her people. This is coming from and I'm making a presumption here, so correct me if I'm wrong, who live in comfortable houses near the beach with little to no Indigineous people in these areas.
She is talking mainly about her people living in the NT who are under privileged and abused. I don't live there and I suspect no one on this forum does either. How can you discount what she is saying without going into these areas and talking to the people she says she represents.
That's why I also listen to what she has to say. She talks a lot about being equal and that is what she is striving for. I for one think that is a good thing. She says she doesn't want division. Sounds good to me.
We don't even know what we will be voting for at the referendum yet. Albo was on 7.30 last night and could not tell the audience what we are voting for. I find the nationals declaration strange based on that.
Everyone has their agenda to push in politics. They all have their own self interests at heart for whatever reasons. We should know that what comes out of these pollies mouths is not always the truth and listen to all sides to try and make an informed decision.
I for one will listen to someone who is pushing for equality with all peoples and no division. What is so wrong with that?
"This is coming from [people] who live in comfortable houses near the beach with little to no Indigineous people in these areas."
You couldn't be more off track OxRox.
Have a squiz at the link GuySmiley put up a little while back.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/dec/01/jacinta-price-doe…
" 90 democratically elected Aboriginal men and women from the towns, remote communities and hundreds of tiny homelands of the southern half of the Northern Territory."
"Central Land Council delegates [and] the elected members of the Northern Land Council"
By being such a strident opponent of a voice to parliament, it's these people who Jacinta Price doesn't represent.
Further to what AndyM says above to me it’s immaterial whether I think what Price says is right or wrong it’s the fact she represents no Aboriginal community nor group, in fact I think you will find she’s not welcome and if there’s one thing we should all agree on it’s self determination for all of us. Price’s position in opposing the voice continues the sad history of colonialism, of aboriginals being told what they need or what’s good for them and gee how has that worked out?
My point was the people who are contributing to this forum would likely live in a beachside suburb etc.
Yes, I read the link GS put up. I also had a look at the link sypkan put up. Look I'm just trying to be open minded about the whole thing. I personally can't discount what an Indigenous person is saying about her own people. She must be pretty evil if what she is saying is totally against the wishes of her own people.
There is also going to be an obscene amount of money involved in this decision so I'm going to sit back and take in all views. I won't take a Guardian article as gospel.
AW .. All good. There seems to be a fair bit of political correctness going on in these threads where people need to chill and I've been potted a couple of times for some very small indescretions. Thought the coconut bit was surprising. African Americans call one another the N word but I doubt you would get away with it even if you knew a few on a public forum.
You’re not serious about your first sentence are ya?
Fooled me then…
Well you read it wrong then. edit… in my opinion. I read it and went searching for what he was getting at.
Everything AW has posted on here has been considered, empathetic, moral and selfless. Funny how the woke hater Indo was the first to condemn him with his patronising first sentence in his reply.
"I agree with Indo on this. Australia will go to a referendum on the Voice and it is important that all the viewpoints of indigenous Australians get to be aired and considered on their merits so the decision they make is as informed as possible. Price is entitled to put her case to the Australian people as much as Linda Burney or Noel Pearson or Warren Mundine. Racially slurring her because you don't agree is pathetic and achieves nothing, listen to what she has to say and decide if you agree or not. She deserves respect for putting herself out there and arguing her position."
Just to clarify, I have listened to her and looked at her background and couldn't disagree more with her. She belongs to the Center for Independent Studies, a libertarian think tank funded by the fossil fuel industry and to me seems to reflect the views of her patron, Gina Rinehart as do the federal National Party. I just think it is important that views like hers get oxygen now in the lead up to the referendum so that if and when the Voice gets up, which I am sure it will, that the proponents of such views can't claim they were shut down in the debate in an attempt to undermine the legitimacy of the vote. They will no doubt claim it anyway, but can't be taken seriously if they did have the opportunity to put their view and it was rejected.
This is what I’m getting at A12. Joe Blogs not engaged in politics or news in any sort of depth in the burbs sees an First Nations woman on the telly constantly saying it’s divisive blah blah will think well this is no good they don’t want this. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.
ps. good on you for digging a bit deeper.
And neither do most Aboriginal leaders like say Lidia Thorpe who again position on the matter is very similar to Jacinta's and she is in the party that is most vocal supporters its amazing she even was allowed to say what she did publicly the other month and not just tow the party line. (she has now said while she doesn't support it, she wont rally against i either)
BTW. im sure she would also not be welcome in many indigenous communities, the Attorney-General of the Northern Territory last year said this about her.
"There is nothing more galling or frustrating than when we have a senator from inner-city Melbourne, who visits the Territory for five minutes, flies home and then goes back to the Senate and makes deceitful comments," she said.
Ms Uibo said that Senator Thorpe had made several mistakes "in the true Canberra tradition of saying outrageous things to get your name on television".
"You should take the time before you travel to a remote community to ensure you are appropriately dressed for the community visit and not dressed like some southern tourist on their dry season holiday."
"There's nothing Territorians hate more than a lecture from a federal senator who doesn't even represent the Territory."
And that was what she said publicly, imagine what she said behind closed doors.
If these two from polar opposites dont support the voice then imagine the number of everyday indigenous people that also dont.
Cause i dont know if you know this, but not all indigenous people think the same, just like any ethnic group they have a broad range of views and dont all agree on all things.
BTW. No leader really represents the views of the whole community, even those democratically elected as leaders, there is always a division of support and opinion within a community big or small (even families), i see this in Indonesian villages where the village head is voted in, generally elders always male and generally the most well off in a village, they might get the most votes, but it doesn't mean everyone supports them or agrees with them, the people behind their backs bag the shit out of them, but they represent the village as kepala desa(village head) deal with any issues and control funds from government etc, id expect remote indigenous communities operate in a similar way.
@Bluediamond , what have you been up to ?
@info, why do you assume I support Thorpe in anyway? By the way she is just a senator like Price and not an aboriginal leader like you again refer to her above although unlike Price, Thorpe comes from a family strong on community advancement going back to her grandmother. I have no idea who Ms Uibo is but your quoted comments could and should equally apply to Price seeing she has no community backing whatsoever so I again refer you to this link highlighting the community grassroots nature of the Voice.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/dec/01/jacinta-price-doe…
Quoting Adam12 above
"Just to clarify, I have listened to her and looked at her background and couldn't disagree more with her. She {{ Price}} belongs to the Center for Independent Studies, a libertarian think tank funded by the fossil fuel industry and to me seems to reflect the views of her patron, Gina Rinehart as do the federal National Party. I just think it is important that views like hers get oxygen now in the lead up to the referendum so that if and when the Voice gets up, which I am sure it will, that the proponents of such views can't claim they were shut down in the debate in an attempt to undermine the legitimacy of the vote. They will no doubt claim it anyway, but can't be taken seriously if they did have the opportunity to put their view and it was rejected."
So you guys are happy for the 11 elected indigenous parliamentarians to have their voice taken away from them and given to a bunch of unelected people who will represent whatever it is being put together.
Parliament comes from the word Parler which means to talk. There is 11 indigenous parliamentarians which is an over representation who have the ability to use their voice now.
As far as I can tell once the new constitution is enshrined, if it gets through, their current elected voice will be null and void.
Bit out of context? Current Indigenous parliamentarians weren't necessarily elected upon race. Also, what happens if a sitting parliament has few, or no, Indigenous folk?
Also, the Voice will be advisory. No-one's voice will become "null and void".
If anyone who owns land or property believes this feel free to give your property away. I can arrange for my nephews or niece to take it off your hands. They live in the kimberly, I'm sure they'd love a surf coast or city pad to holiday in. They have a large extended family, I could find recipients for many properties. Any givers?
Yeah fair enough. Trying to get my head around exactly how this thing will work. You are right, if there is no elected indigenous in the future that is a problem.
Every time I hear Price talk its all "White Fella talk" actually haven't heard her say anything representative of 1st nations.
Seriously what is it Price stands for, attacking woke-ism? Anyone see the problem with that?
Lesley Turner chief executive of the Central Land Council and a member of the Referendum Engagement Group
Jacinta Price doesn’t speak for my people – and her stance shows why Australia needs the Indigenous voice
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/dec/01/jacinta-price-doe…
"...could and should equally apply to Price seeing she has no community backing whatsoever..."
you keep saying this... but its just utter bullshit...
or 'questionable facts' you might say
she may not sit at the cool kids table, but she was voted in by her community, and Im pretty sure it wasn't by only the nasty white racists ones you constantly bang on about
It's really simple guys... the Constitution will be updated to reflect the fact that the country wasn't Terra Nullius. The Voice will allow Aboriginal representatives to advise/choose what's best for blackfellas instead of whitefellas setting the agenda. Everything else can be worked out with those foundations in place. So called Practical Reconciliation will continue.
It's simple.
I find it most interesting that people just attack the person jaccinta price (as well as rather tedious, boring, and predictable at the same time...)
rather than engaging in her criticisms of the voice
its right, lidia thorpe does share similar concerns... (but is skimmed over / nowhere near as attacked the same)
maybe, just maybe... if advocates actually want this thing to get up... they should engage in the issues rather than the oh so typical current attack the person / source / dont engage MO...
both senators raise some good issues that could possibly be debated and addressed? ...so this thing actually has some legs...
or, we can all just sling shit, find no middle ground, increase division, and possibly fail...
Im on the fence with this one, and tbh, it'd have to be a pretty good (practical) proposal for me to get of my arse and vote
atm, looks I'll justs sit it out, i wonder how many other aussies will feel the same?
I know most feel strongly either way, but a lot of crew sitting it out doesn't bode well in a referendum situatiom
my personal feeling is it will get up anyway, but it'll just scrape through, sadly this wont be no most convincing 1968 referendum moment
100% Sypkan agree whole heartily with both comments.
And this idea i keep seeing of white fella talk or black fella talk or white or black thinking or way somebody is suppose to think or act based on ethnicity or skin colour is completely backwards and kinda racist even if the intention itself comes from a good place.
Reality is people are people, no matter skin colour or ethnicity, there is slight cultural differences, but end of the day, we all need the same things to prosper.
PS. Fking stuck in a mechanic waiting room in Pakenham done an alternator $700+ and hours to kill waiting for the part, argghh
Huh??
The Voice was developed via a broad and extensive community consultation process led by elected Aboriginal community leaders so when they speak on this matter they do so with the full backing and support of the Aboriginal communities that they have come from. Neither Price nor Thorpe, while elected senators have that backing or status. Here I was thinking the difference was obvious but apparently not.
nice try guy...
but even you are not that stupid
or maybe you are...
ideological blindness is clearly very debillitating
that all you got there sypkan? your usual negative rant, twist? nothing good or positive to say, like ever? has it always been thus with you? why not have a surf and wash away some of that negativity ..... take care from your inner city 1/2 strength decaf soy latte drinking woke buddy
dude... do I really need to explain it to you?
or are you fully aware of the misinformation - the 'questionable facts' (...alternative facts?) - you spread?
you are saying... purporting... constantly... that 'the voice' has total aboriginal community backing, and therefore, no one else's perspectives should be entertained at all...
does jacinta price back it?
does warren mundine?
lidia thorpe?
are they not aboriginal people?
are they too, well... you know... (i hear they make nice water) for you...
you say jacinta price has no community support 'whatsoever'
sorry dude you are spreading misinformation... questionable facts... pure and plain fucking bullshit...
are you stupid?
or just totally and indisputedly ideologically blind?
over to you champ....
Just in case we forget where it came from.
https://ulurustatement.org/education/faqs/#:~:text=A%20First%20Nations%….
Thanks Blackers..." The practical details of a voice to parliament will continue to be worked through as we reach referendum." Is the thing we need to clarify.
hahahaha. Surely Bolt's not a Swellnet reader!!?? Unless he walks amongst us!! Hmm...i wonder who that might be. hehe.
If only i had that kind of sway @supa. haha. Sadly, just been brushcutting for days on end and riding the foamy in onshore slop. :-D
That's a ridiculous suggestion @Patrick! It would be like someone coming and just taking your land and stealing your children and suppressing your culture. Wrong in every way and if ever such an injustice would occur, surely the right thing to do would be to give everything back?? Or am i missing the point?
I've never understood the "always was, always will be" slogan.
On the other hand, I saw a sticker the other day which said "look after country and country will look after you".
Sounds like a good vision for the future.
That's a good one Andy. What about "Let's not dwell on the past but look to the future" :)
If you own property, no one's stopping you from giving it away. Like I said, I can arrange for my (aboriginal) neice or nephews to receive it. You talk the talk (well, chant slogans) but do you walk the walk?
There're clearly elements of the past which need to be discussed, acknowledged and accepted as fact.
There's lots of work to be done there, and we're finally understanding this as a nation.
But I think we need positive unifying narratives for the future as well.
The concept of "look after country and country will look after you" clearly comes from an Indigenous angle but it's essential for everyone
And if you've been stealing children you can give them back too.
(It might relieve you of some of your guilt.)
I better go do a head count!
Wow, thats a pretty insulting post. Chanting slogans. Have you read this whole thread. You know little about me and my background and assume i'm just trying to make myself feel better. Nope. Correct me if i'm wrong, but is empathy and caring for others something you frown upon as i detect a strong sense of self entitlement to your post. I'm assuming you're an indigenous fella yourself?? Or?
Show me one part of what i've said where i've said what indigenous people should do in any of my posts. All i've ever posted about is what western culture, and settler culture can give back to right the wrongs of the past. I post ideas that are obviously weighted heavily in favour of indigenous Australians, purely because i'd hope it makes people think., and realise how lucky we are in this country and giving some of our privileges up is a neccesity in moving forward and healing past injustices.
Mate, i'm happy to sacrifice alot. I don't need to give you my personal life on a public forum, but as i said over and over in this thread, sacrificing our easy cushy life that is built on the blood and oppression is something i'm comfortable with.
When i say realestate, you assume i mean a house on the coast. What about crown land, national parks, reserves, coastal parks. These are the no brainers to me that should automatically be transferred back to the hands of Indigenous Australians.
I really hope you're not Blowin using another name again ffs.
You can't change the past but you can hopefully make a better future.
It’s such a challenging situation. How do we white people face up to and right the wrong of what we did:
1. We came here and decimated the indigenous Australians by murder and disease, and then stole their land from them in a magic trick of white-man’s law.
2. Then for the remaining aboriginal Australians, we marginalise and discriminate against them, shuffle many of them off into remote communities of poverty and disadvantage, and turn a blind eye, out of sight out of mind.
Actually can the indigenous voice in parliament be viewed as another magic trick of us duping the aboriginal Australians to further participate and assimilate into our white society, culture and political and legal systems?
From reading history I recall instances of war torn peoples particularly in Eastern Europe trying to live as minorities assimilated within other ethnic/cultural peoples, and due to it not working out so well they are then given their own geographical regions and support to form their own self governments and way of life.
Actually a common theme in China is where ethnic groups are given certain geographical regions called autonomous regions in which they have a certain amount of self governance. See for instance the wiki page https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_regions_of_China in which it says:
The autonomous regions (Chinese: 自治区; pinyin: Zìzhìqū) are the highest-level administrative divisions of China. Like Chinese provinces, an autonomous region has its own local government, but under Chinese law, an autonomous region has more legislative rights, such as the right to "formulate self-government regulations and other separate regulations." An autonomous region is the highest level of minority autonomous entity in China, which has a comparably higher population of a particular minority ethnic group.
(There’s also autonomous prefectures and administrative divisions.)
I have spent quite some time in the largest one of them, Guangxi, and there is quite the expression of their unique culture and way of life.
“Actually can the indigenous voice in parliament be viewed as another magic trick of us duping the aboriginal Australians to further participate and assimilate into our white society, culture and political and legal systems?”
Wow that’s some serious cynicism there.
Not to mention showing large amounts of contempt and disrespect for all those who put together the Uluṟu Statement From the Heart.
"I've never understood the "always was, always will be" slogan."
pretty sure this comes from the complex legal arguments that some use - or moreso once used - to take back the whole kit and kaboodle
which are fair enough arguments, and do make a good point... but... realistically...
it's all a bit 80's / 90's...
and a catchy slogan...
yes and no...
language is tricky
I think this is why the voice is 'marketed' as a generous offer of reconciliation from indigenous people
they have tempered their demands considerably, ...considerably considerably... (the mainstreames anyway....)
after being 'duped' out of more ambitious promises...
conceded to realities over 'never ceded'?
or just a step?
anyway, it is a pretty modest request...
but it is hard to see it as being any different to atsic or any other number of bodies that have had a run
“conceded to realities over 'never ceded'?”
Yeah I think the realities are obvious.
“ always will be“ might be good for morale and dignity but I don’t think it’s dealing with the here and now.
A voice to Parliament is much more pragmatic.