More from Wax On
notadmin
said:
Predator on a mission. https://www.instagram.com/p/DM078olTQ4T/?igsh=MXRobDY0aml1amtuYQ==
Test Format
2
Rochko B
said:
I have one in those dimensions; it's my favourite board. Instant connection and super carvy.
~ Spotted ~ Gumtree ~ Ebay ~ Facey ~
1395
truebluebasher
said:
Dedicated to Craig's Miraculous Boardswaps & Leggie Swaps
( Lost'n'Found Forward )
Distant memory Guns that resurfa
Miraculous board retrieval stories
11
Bnkref
said:
Romy has had some absolute gems the past few months. Today’s is exceptional.
I heart WOTD
4674
velocityjohnno
said:
https://www.surfer.com/news/orcas-attack-great-white-sharks-eat-liver-video
Shark Stories
1552
That's great news.
Freeride-Where’s the thread about your sciatica? I’d like to read about your experience? Unless you wouldn’t mind recapping here? You had weakness in your leg?
I remember you said you had back issues and I’d recommended you avoid surgery but I don’t recall you mentioning weakness in your leg. I’ve got something similar going on and I’m curious.
I will ......just got some family stuff to take care of, will get back to you.
A bit here- down the page
https://www.swellnet.com/comment/801790
No more PCR test 48 hours before arrival. Saves mum dad & 2 kids $600
How are you coming along flow?
Malindo is now Batik Air.
https://www.malindoair.com/news-events/2022/04/27/REBRANDING-OF-MALINDO…
My mate is still trying to get his money back udo . He’s done his money , what a scam.
I had some great flights with Malindo air. Flights were never full, so just hang back, get on last, find a row to yourself and get comfy.
Especially the red eye coming back to Aus.
Jeez thats fked..
Same Burleigh no complaints at all Flying with them.
- - - -
Just punched in some dummy dates ...cheap enough.
https://flights.batikair.com/ID/Flight.aspx?aid=231&Jtype=2&depCity=BNE…
In the comments of that what’s up video, kiwis were paying $300 NZ for a PCR test , this bloke said big savings for the 9 family members coming to Bali. Fck me we were paying $150 AUD and in Bali they were $26 , some countries they were $5 , someone’s made a motza out of this .
Hey Ox. I'm gradually getting there. I'm still improving after 16 months. In no pain. My big toe is a bit numb and my back is still a bit stiff and weak. I can get to my feet when surfing unless it's small and sucky. Not strong enough to surf properly once I'm up. Just gentle turns. But just being a bit off makes a huge difference in performance. I'm basically surfing like a real beginner. Hopefully be better by 2 years. Happy enough. You happy with where you're at?
Could be wrong but you would expect airlines out of Australia will want PCR test done anyway.
Documentation required for travel
At the time of check-in, we’ll ask you to declare that you meet all your requirements for travel, including vaccination and pre-departure testing (if applicable to your destination). https://www.jetstar.com/au/en/help/articles/travel-requirements-to-and-…
https://bali.com/news/corona-updates/no-more-pcr-for-fully-vaccinated-t…
Good to hear you're improving albeit slowly. What surgery did you have? Mine was L5/S1 fusion which has a quicker recovery than yours by the sounds of your description. As long as you get there, that's all that matters.
I'm happy with where I'm at. Will be 6 weeks post surgery on Monday. Have regained probably 70 percent movement in my foot. Hardly any pain. Have started doing sand dune climbs at the beach to strengthen my ankle and legs which seems to be working. Not doing any physical work due to only being able to lift 10 - 15 kgs at the moment. Going to not surf for 6 months post surgery minimum, I think, just to make sure the fusion is close to complete. Feeling flexible in my back now but was stiff before. Overall really happy but like you, I had no option but surgery. Exhausted all other options but I'm very optimistic of a good recovery.
Hopefully you will be back to surfing normally soon Flow. Would be frustrating being in your position. Keep it up. As you know exercise is key to a successful recovery for us both.
Had laminectomy. L4/5 disc herniation. Keep up the exercise. I found the best thing for me was walking, especially walking in thigh deep water. It is frustrating but as long as there's improvement it's good. Sounds like you're in a good head space. Hopefully next communication will be on this thread, but talking about Indo.
@indo , I called Jetstar and they still haven’t got confirmation about Indonesians PCR status but once it’s confirmed it’s not a requirement from them to board the flight. Don’t know about other airlines. Hopefully all is confirmed in coming days.
This is a nasty injury. Mine was screwed up to the point where I couldn't move. Luckily I got good advice from a couple of athletes who told me to avoid the surgery at any cost. They gave me some small but very useful tips like rolling a towel and putting it under my bum in the car so my hip is higher than my knee while driving. Sounds silly but it helped enormously while in the car. Another one is to always keep moving, it's so easy to fall into a painkiller/glued to the couch vicious cycle. So, I always moved around as much as I could, avoided tablets, and pushed through the pain. Limping terribly in the beginning but it started getting better. It gave me a great feel for my body.
But the best solution was swimming. I built the form gradually and I was hitting 2k+ per session 3 to 4 times per week. This was an enormous help. It also meant that I wasn't out of shape when I started surfing again. A little bit wobbly and stuff but felt really strong and ready for big sessions.
Yeah I remember now, you said laminectomy before. Had planned an Indo trip this year but unlikely to happen now. Next year.
I had L5S1 herniation.
Couldn't walk more than a hundred metres for close to 2 months.
Was able to wade in the lake (from close to day 1) and that really helped.
Able to avoid painkillers for the most part (Nurofen and Paracetamol for first month)
Getting the strength back in calf and glutes has taken a long time....mostly because they weren't activating properly.
Hoping to be able to surf the Point this winter.
Freeride- How do you reactivate your calf and glutes?
Use them- stress them ?
Kneading them, hitting them to try and get the nerves firing etc etc.
But yeah, use and stress.
Cheers mate
You got a crook back?
Yep. Thought I’d done a hamstring. When resting up I started getting heavy calf cramps and weakness. Figured I’ve compressed a nerve whilst laying on the bed for a few days. It’s very unpleasant. Started swimming, stretching and training it up today. See how I go. The loss of function in my leg is disconcerting. Sounds similar to what you went through.
My thoughts are if it's minor, it will improve quickly.
If no improvement then go get an MRI.
Not a medical opinion, just my experience.
Freeride- How much was your MRI? Who did you first approach to resolve your issue? Are you seeing satisfactory progress? Confident you’ll get to 100%? Have you regained much strength in your leg?
MRI was about $300 from memory- a fair whack.
I saw GP first, took a bit of convincing to get him to refer me for MRI.
That took almost 2 months.
Since then, had spinal needle (steroid) - that made no difference. Cost about $300 approx
Seen a physio with experience with this injury half a dozen times at $90 a pop.
Yes, progress has been slow and steady with a few bad weeks thrown in.
Pretty confident now I'll get back to %100 or very close, maybe better.
Strength is coming back into leg.
What do you consider the best thing you’ve done towards fixing it? Was it exercise or stretching etc? Anything to recommend? I understand you’re not giving out medical advice. Was there anything specific youve done which you think was the greatest help?
uummmm......I think you have to find the thing that works for you.
Definitely staying as active as you can, walking, exercising, eating right.
I can't say any single thing made a huge difference.
Time is also a factor, sometimes these injuries require time.
Mentally was/is probs the biggest challenge- not being able to do what you love, not knowing if you will be able to do it again, when , and at what level.
When I first saw the physio, he looked at the MRI and suggested I get a surgical opinion.
So I drove to Gold Coast University Hospital, admitted myself to emergency and waited 7 hrs to see a neurosurgeon.
Him telling me there was enough room for the nerve to function without permanent damage and to give it another couple of months was actually really helpful.
That meant I could rule out surgery and just concentrate on rehab.
Cripple club thread- you must have an anecdote Facto?
Freeride- Your physio recommended you just go to A and E with your MRI and ask to see a neurosurgeon ?
It’s official on Jetstar website now . “ COVID-19 testing
Pre-departure COVID-19 testing is no longer required to enter Bali. “ https://www.jetstar.com/au/en/help/articles/travel-to-and-from-bali
Correct and I'm so glad he did.
He first asked me if I had private health insurance, to which I replied no.
Then he said, well you can wait months and pay hundreds to see a neurosurgeon or go admit yourself to Emergency and not leave until you get seen by one, for free.
I left before dawn the next morning.
https://coconuts.co/bali/news/authorities-bulldoze-dozens-of-berawa-bea…
Does anyone know if you have to have/show proof of all of your accomodation booked for your entire stay duration when entering Bali at the airport? Is it part of the VOA requirement?
Probably not..Probably just need to show proof of return or ongoing Air ticket and proof of Covid cover Travel ins ?
Getting close to departure date, my first month's accommodation is booked and I'm pumped. I'm taking my boards because I've been keeping an eye on FB market over there and the boards look shit/expensive/beat up. So, 3 questions.
Will a step up be big enough for most of the big days on the Bukit and Lembongan?
Will I need reef booties for the Bukit and Lembongan?
Do taxis have roof racks for a coffin surfboard bag?
Thanks in advance
A Step up will be plenty big enough unless you're planing on surfing 10ft + outside corner or the bombie. Lembongan you will most likely just need your standard shorty. I think you'll find you will surf your standard setup majority of surf spots.
Up to you with the booties, they are not needed anywhere but it's up to the individual. I cant surf in them so its a solid no from me
You'll find plenty of transport options to take your boadbag, not a standard taxi though.
@JUG
Heaps of surfboards for sale in Bali
Booties are good for low tide walk outs at Ulu but reef is fairly flat and well tramped over also, Bali is a shitty place to have cut feet so could be worth taking some if your rock hopping / reef walking skills are not great (same again easy to buy there , surf shops everywhere).
Not sure what a step up entails but short boards are fine unless like Burley said OC is on your radar in which case a big board is gold, otherwise there is always somewhere smaller you can go if the swell is up and OC doesnt interest you
Also I always take a good set of tie down straps cause most transport guys will take you and boards but they rarely have anything to strap them down or produce a piece of string to do the job Indostyle
Be polite and patient (regardless of situation) , joke around with the Indos and they will love you
Have fun !
Thanks guys! No plans to tackle big OC Uluwatu so I should be sorted. By step up my everyday board is a 6'1 thruster, step up is a rounded pin 6'6 with more rocker.
Those two in a double bag will be fine..dont stress to much about tying them on a roof
Any sedan they will fit on the passenger front seat if its laid fully back - just have to sit in the back.
@jug , not everyone likes booties , I personally don’t have any problems with them and they have saved my feet on numerous occasions. On lembongan lacerations and razors have those names for a reason and the amount of times I’ve been starfishing trying to keep my back and arse off the reef while running in my booties. If you surf the wreck on low tide its a long walk in through the seaweed farms and a few locals have died over the years from stepping on a stonefish . Lembongan reefs are very different to the Bukit . I also like booties for when I’ve had enough of being pinned to the bottom and need to kick off . Enjoy yourself mate and take that extra paddle when catching waves .
Just saw this
After December 2022, tourists will no longer travel by boat to Mentawai. On the 22nd of August 2022, the President of Indonesia is officially opening the new Rokot Mentawai Airport. A 50 Million USD renovation of the existing airport to take 72-seat jet planes. From December 2022 onwards, all tourists will arrive in the Mentawai islands by plane.
https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/warnings/call-to-ban-auss…
Holy shit Udo and Seaslug too, i dont know why i dont read wax on more often.
By the way good advise SF.
That's pretty depressing if it happens.