More from Wax On
notadmin
said:
Predator on a mission. https://www.instagram.com/p/DM078olTQ4T/?igsh=MXRobDY0aml1amtuYQ==
Test Format
2
andy-mac
said:
[quote=basesix][quote=sypkan]
:..why the fuck would you come to Indonesia?
I love Bali
3139
Rochko B
said:
I have one in those dimensions; it's my favourite board. Instant connection and super carvy.
~ Spotted ~ Gumtree ~ Ebay ~ Facey ~
1395
truebluebasher
said:
Dedicated to Craig's Miraculous Boardswaps & Leggie Swaps
( Lost'n'Found Forward )
Distant memory Guns that resurfa
Miraculous board retrieval stories
11
Bnkref
said:
Romy has had some absolute gems the past few months. Today’s is exceptional.
I heart WOTD
4674
velocityjohnno
said:
https://www.surfer.com/news/orcas-attack-great-white-sharks-eat-liver-video
Shark Stories
1552
Jeff Booth or
Chris Gallagher or
Shane Beschen ?
One of the Hobgoods?
It really is a problem - how do you make the rest of your life work when that's all you're thinking about? I've never figured it out.
It’s not like I’ve gone mental, just that my surfing tastes skew heavily towards large waves/boards. It’ll change.
But it’s an itch that’s hard to scratch. Where to travel to without great expense and fickle logistics?
I guess the obvious answer is to be patient.
South Island NZ in winter gets some solid lines , hard to find the balls to do it when they are hibernating up your innards . I met a kiwi in sumba last year that lives down south, takes a bit of getting used to when he goes home in September after 3 months in indo .
SW WA??
Last chance on the question ?
You all know of him .
Thought people would froth out more on the trivia ?
I said 'Steve', a while back @Lanky..?
Not him ,
Tommy Carroll?
Greg someone
Slater in 96?
Enduro boardies prototype with water bottle pocket.???
I frothed, like a cappuccino Lanky. This one’s got me stumped though. Pro or underground legend?
Ross Clarke jones
August 96 Tracks cover?
https://shop.tracksmag.com.au/products/august-1996
Who’s that? Thought it was Kelly but LD said not the answer.
Shane Powell?
Same ex-Cronulla lad that accidently did a full 360 in the barrel and came out?
What about the Pauline Menzer comment on the tracks cover. What a shocker.
The cover is KS on a yellow Channel Islands.
https://www.swellnet.com/news/design-outline/2016/09/05/extraordinary-b…
The story behind the shot.
Don't know if it's the answer Lanky is looking for though.
Slater dropped in on Camel on that wave if my memory is right.
Camel claims that in the comments in that swellnet link.
Either way it's an interesting bit of trivia to revisit even if I have got it wrong.
And FFS Lanky, put us out of our collective misery.
from what i remember slater (and some yank pros) said that was probably the best barrel he has had at g-land and camel thought to himself "well ive had much better barrels than that here"...thats if i recall correctly...
and back then camel as you probably know would some days check here and there all day looking from shore, big or small usually sizey days but was happy to surf small speedies too..and chickens as chickens is such a fun rare wave...anyway camel sometimes would paddle out and only get one wave at whatever section he thought was going to work...and that one wave he got was often the best wave that came in all day...other times hed pull into the ledge or some slabbier reef and be non stop pulling into 8 foot kegs...saw that in 1997, ledge eventually closed out though but super sick puts before they closed out..lowtide from memory.
clay was like that in the north west at a fickle wave..one day he was waiting for a long time to paddle out, got one 6 second or so tube then paddled out somewhere else and no other wave came into that fickle shallow reef again all day..clay was tapped into some sort off sixth sense imo, camel might be too..
Boom !zen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stunet, I expect some photos, updates ect, who ripped the bag who was drab,
but really I want an in dept story of the lost board the swim and the board rescue
Yee hah!
Thanks Lanky. Keep 'em coming.
While we are in Indo- What was the Late Mikala Jones Birth Name ?
Jeffrey Mikala Jones
Great idea
thats 2 trivia wins for you ZEN!
stu's next stop...... "the JSC mystery tour !"
Yes I believe steve & craig have signed up , ben left at home to hold the fort .
Yeah i was out there infront of money trees that arvo ol mate did the up yours routine to you. I was in a wide brummed hat not a sperm suit. That was my last surf before some virus decided to cane me in to fetal position for three days. Starting to come right today but man that was some serious man flu.
Been some serious learning from this trip.
You picked the best days to get crook - in between swells.
Had a beer up at Bobby's yesterday evening and while walking back past Jawa Jiwa I heard Slice Of Heaven by Dave Dobbin being played loud, sung even louder.
Couldn't believe it.
Called in to see your mates arm in arm finishing off the "da da da" part, and Deano kicking it shirtless on a beanbag looking like the cat that got the cheese. Fucking hell, what a classic scene as the sun dipped over the bay and your mates got the bonfire stacked. Few toasts to the ANZACs, glasses raised, then Let There Be Rock by AC/DC came on and your mates were off and away again.
I then had a few beers with old Moonah down at Joyos, who was quietly chuffed at the coming forecast. Glad he packed a 7'6". I left this morning on the fast boat. Kuta now, home tomorrow.
Glad to hear you're feeling better. Hope you can swing into a few during the next swell.
For the last week or so I've been walking round saying "Jawa jiwa " out loud
And keep saying Gland and my wife keeps saying what's gland....
What's the Jawa Jiwa camp like?
Few sore heads the next day. I slept through all the festivities , I think I've been in ketosis for 4 days now. Seems there has been a bit of crookness around, it almost feels like the time I had the rona. Splitting headache fevers etc. Hopefully get in the water for a few wiggles today.
Camp is all good. Nice hosts good rooms . Foods fine. Good little coffee shop. Hot showers, I'd come back here for sure.
Whats the Cost ?
We booked as a group and may have got some discount but it cost 1200 AUD for 10 nights, 3 meals included each day and fast boat there and back
That’s a bargain.
All the best for the remainder of your trip. Swell is definitely picking up fast!
This has been a great thread…so good to hear some first hand accounts of the SN crew on tour at my favourite wave.
Onya boys from both sides of the ditch.
Some happy nostalgia for me whilst rehabbing a knee :-)
Any of you ever bring your missus for a short jaunt? My wife sounds interested in a four day G-Land trip when next on Bali.
She can spend hours reading, walking, snorkeling.
I've done plenty of boys trips to land camps and boat trips, but lately, now the kids have grown up, the Mrs and I are doing scooter trips around the Islands staying where ever. We've already circumnavigated Bali, Lembongan/Ceningan, Penida & Lombok together over the last couple of years. Looking at doing Sumbawa next year. We basically rock up, hire a scooter for several weeks/months, usually an Nmax, and take off. Google maps at the ready.
Perfect.
Thoughts of Sumatra?
Yeah IB I'm interested in the answer to that too. I've done plenty of indo hard core but these days wife wants to come and just hang in a nice place in Bali. Where can I take her for maybe 4 or 5 days without her getting too bored?
Nice to catch up Stu. Hope the trip home went well.
Didn’t miss much today. Photos will make it look amazing. It was pretty slow and busy with some horrendous surf etiquette on display.
Next few days looking good.
I second that re surf etiquette, was some really savage burns going down.
Any one had any experience with the tom cat beetle in Indo? Little fucker got me on day one, thought it was sunburn rash or something, blistered up like a MOFO. Research says Venom is stronger than cobra, left untreated can induce fevers etc. FFS I think I got owned by a tiddly bug
Rove beetles, nasty firkers
Hey Andy, it is on the list. I have already done several trips in South Sumatra & obviously the Ments.
Yeah, unreal to catch up. Very quiet and sullen trip home knowing that swell was coming.
Pumping or not, I got a kick to see Mitch, a fella I hung with a bit during my trip, score a great shot on Donny's page.
Mitch and Jesse, two old school mates from Joeys at Geelong, having their first surf trip twenty years after the idea was originally floated, both with family, kids, careers in different cities, to catch up on and not a moment was wasted in silence.
A-grade banterers, both of them.
Here's Mitch in the pit. I imagine Jesse is on the shoulder just out of view nattering away.