More from Wax Off
truebluebasher said: Who requested the most despicable reverse hostile cross national sickly song about world's #1 arsehole!
Think tbb should first warn the…
World Music... oops, I mean, music that is perhaps unfamiliar to western listeners because it's from underrepresented places..61
lucky-al said: Likewise, freeride76. Will call in next time I'm down your way.
Botany Nerds Ahoy2,639
seeds said: Oh shit yeah, I’ve been there a couple of times. Once on school camp and once as a adult 25 years younger than now.
Show us your photos2,826
seeds
said:
Opti said “Anyone who reads your past comments will easily see why you’re not worth engaging in conversation.”
No numbn
All Things Religion Thread
5463
Optimist
said:
Where I live now is perfect…..but I’ve had better in the past.
Where in AUS would you live in you could take your pick?
17
freeride76
said:
You're always going to run the risk of a big flatty busting you or biting you off on light gear and bait hooks.
I wou
Fishing tips
1149
Supafreak
said:
This guy has broken his back in 2 places plus other injuries but this horrific fall didn’t break his spirit, such a amaz
The MTB Thread
315
A Salty Dog
said:
[quote=velocityjohnno]Bagspreading
Be the bigger man and don't do it
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/n
Australia - you're standing in it
10602
AndyM, I think spotify has become a bit of a pain to use on the free version. Might be worth a free trial though and see if you dig up some nuggets - scanning the related artists' best of sections was where it was at. I haven't used it in a few years now.
I got Black Uhuru from some Sublime samples, not sure which song now but this one still good
Another great place to find music by following the trail of bands that like your favourite bands and such ..wait for it...MySpace, it's a music lovers paradise.
NOOOO!!!!
(OK maybe, not sure)
Sounds scary has hell but you'd be surprised which bands are using it. Forget all the front page top 40 bullshit, go to your fave bands and look who's friends/following them, there are some real gems to be found.
TGF - I might need some beers before I check that recommendation
Maybe Sublime's recommendation will do.
https://myspace.com/sublime
mk1, https://thepier.org/ is another good one for roots, rock, reggae. Ive' found a stack of music over the last 5 yrs on this site.
A lot of no name/low name bands use the pier to get their music out there by offering free mp3 for download.
Will check it out TGF.
A simpler time... Or was it lol...
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Pirate Metal
ALESTORM - Shipwrecked
Alestorm Drink
Nice reminder sheepdog
...and for all you Drones fans out there, another gem from the forthcoming album
https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2016/jan/18/the-drones-to-th…
RIP Cliff Burton would have been 54 today-
Bass solo Orion:
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="
frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
double post
Classic old punk track
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Nice one SD.
Me, I've been sitting here wondering why Ed Kuepper persisted with horns and trumpets and shit for so long. Everyone knows punk ain't brass, except in small doses like Know Your Product and even then it's gotta copy a guitar riff. That's the way it's done and no beret wearing trombonist is gonna change it.
But Ed persisted with brass after The Saints split up. The Laughing Clowns had excess brass and that's why I didn't get into them - still can't get into them. And he also used mucho brasso in his early solo career, yet today I listened to 'Everybodys Got To' and whaddya know, it's got brass and it's good. Real good. Especially 'Too Many Clues' which is brass as brass should be, which is to say it's not bold and brassy, but tight and riffy. Ed composes it like a call and reply style songline. A four chord riff from the blowhard.
Couldn't find the song on any streaming program but it can be downloaded here:
https://mp3pm.me/song/23400850/Ed_Kuepper_-_Too_Many_Clues/
On the same page there's an ad for a pretty blonde Russian lass if Valentines Day left you cold.
I vaguely remember Too Many Clues as the opening song in Rip Curl's 'Rubber Soul', the original not the modern, sanitary remake. Note to surf companies: don't rehash past glories, you can't surf back into summer and filthy habits should stay just that.
Nostalgia tells me it was 25 foot Tombstones and seven guys tried to make the drop each one getting pitched as Ed Kuepper and his bolshy brass section were swinging and the wave kept reeling for two kilometres down the reef unable to be ridden.
'Cos everything was better back then.
Loved Rubber Soul, perhaps not the best surfing even at the time it came out, but just the whole vibe, kinda raw Aussie feel, but had a real travel explore type vibe too.
"When theres this party" was the other Ed Kuepper song on that vid.
The whole sound track though was pure gold though, classic Rifles, GOD, The Garden path, i think there was some Exploding white mice in there at the end.
I just had an Ed Kuepper revival.
Songs from the Monty Webber produced O'neil flick staring Herro, the G land pro 95 we were talking about on the other thread and Rubber Soul.
I had Rubber Soul taped onto a cassette, loved that flick and that soundtrack.
Tombies, Bluff, Angas and Nusa Tengarrah .
I remember a review of it in an issue of US Surfer magazine and they were blown away saying it was like 8 pipelines strung together.
They were blown away by the Oz titles being held at medium size mainbreak Margs - with Stomper Mcauliff winning - and saying when was the last time the US titles were held in anything but knee high slop.
And I was thinking Yeah Australia !
Nick Wood at Backdoor with pipeline by The Exploding White Mice.
Good times.
I'm already off the horns. 24 hours is all it took. Thanks for the memories Ed but I'll stick with strings.
Be unreal to find a copy of Rubber Soul but.
Anyone..?
I've got a copy, but I won't be near it for 7 weeks.
Can you wait that long ?
And I'd have to figure out how to get you a copy as its vhs.
I've just received advice that I may be able to put it onto one of those new fangled CD's.
Maybe.
Then I could MAYBE able to get it onto a USB stick.
So proud of myself right now.
Better save the pats on the back for when ( if ) I pull off this miracle act.
I've transferred my VHS copy of Rubber Soul to DVD Stu and can burn you one off. Email me where to send it and I will get on it.
A bit early I s'pose, but these blokes are coming next month. One of the under-rated greats, and fucken great live. Their live album HANX is one of those rare live albums that is also one of their best. Any others in that little canon?
Personally, I'd vouch for Bad Brains' THE YOUTH ARE GETTING RESTLESS and Black Flag's WHO'S GOT THE TEN AND A HALF? (production-wise, sounds a lot better than the entirety of their other Rollins-era albums). Oh yeah, and The Who's LIVE AT LEEDS!
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
+1 on the Bad Brains and I'd add The Ramones 'It's Alive', recorded NYE 1977.
All good. I'd add Johnny Cash's prison albums.
And any Peel sessions you'd care to mention. There's a few of 'em.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/sessions/
Gotta love some Sparrowfahrenheit - "Victory"
https://myspace.com/sparrowfahrenheitlives/music/song/02-victory-ego-tr…
This isn't even my competition but I'm gonna pull you up on technicality there TT. Peel Sessions are live recordings but they're not played for a live crowd. There's no interaction, no heckling, no spontaneity, the type that comes when a band is playing to impress a huge crowd of drunk up (and drugged up) paying customers.
If the Peel Sessions count then Husker Du's 'Zen Arcade' counts 'cos it was recorded in one take. Same with 'Double Nickels On The Dime' by the Minutemen.
Peel sessions! Absolutely fucken spot on! Where do you start??
Not concert recordings, true, but live, baby, live. Tight musicianship on parade. True bandwork!
And how's his 'festive 50' over the years? Made our Public Broadcaster 'yoof' countdown look like the conservative bollocks it was...
Hang on, did I say 'was'?! It's gotten even fucken worse!!!!!!
Far be it from me to be pedantic, ahem, but even by that proviso Stunts (I like that...cool, hey?) some of Peel's sessions were recorded with an audience. Notably at Peel Acres. It was the place to be and yes, farm livin' is the life for me! Hah!
That SLF album was an amalgam of two concerts too, by the way. Not that that matters to my old ears.
Indeed (cheers Shellac)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Back to, let's now say, concert recordings, how could I forget Kiss' ALIVE!!!!!
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
KISS? An ironic choice SB?
Of all their catalogue the only song I seriously like, as in, I can listen to it without getting the titters, is 2000 Man and that's a Stones song.
Stu, I'm rather partial to anything Ace wrote or sang
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Kiss were the first band i got into a kid, and Dynasty was the first LP i got and i use to listen to it non stop, and get mum to do my face up like Gene but god listening to those songs their music was pure crap, if they didn't have all the gimmicks that bring back nostalgia for those of that generation, i think they would be forgotten like many bands of that era.
Ah Peel sessions, yes!
I listened to Pixies BBC sessions all the time. Some of those were way better than the album versions IMO.
Think I've mentioned this before, but about 10 years back I dug out my copy of Dynasty and an envelope fell out from inside it. On the front was scribbly handwriting addressed to the Kiss Army on Park Avenue in New York City. I opened it up and read a letter that I wrote to Gene Simmons when I was eight! I was an enthusiastic little bullshitter ("I play Dynasty 50 times a day") and a nosey little prick too ("Why did Peter Criss leave the band?").
Not sure why my mum didn't post it though I got a bit of a kick reading a letter from the eight year old me.
So Kiss was pretty much the wiggles of Generation X.
Mate, not just Generation X, Kiss are still going strong. You'd let your kids go and see these guys right?
...and here's one more shot of Paul's trout pout 'cos it makes the kids go wild.
Jesus christ - not sure if I'd let em babysit my kids.....
Could at least wash my pots and pans with Gene's hair though.
And to think I loved these guys when I was eight, had hundreds of swap cards, the black tee shirt with the big shiny vinyl KISS symbol and everything.
Detroit rock city baby!
Forgot about this one. Butthole Surfers Double Live. Worthy for the album art alone!
A tale well told.
https://dangerousminds.net/comments/the_legendary_x-rated_butthole_surfe…
Their 91 show at the Old Lion wasn't quite so, erm, sexually challenged.
And Kiss...why not?
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
best live recording i've come across lately is johnny rivers "at the whisky a go go" from 1963. he opend the club. side a is ok. the magic is on side b...just one long 15-minute track called "john lee hooker". the band really stretches out on this one.
another good live record i found recently is:
del reeves and good time charlies recorded live at the playroom in atlanta georgia from 1973.
One of my favorite "Live" albums that I have on vinyl wild.<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Or this.Devo's Live album "Now it can be told"<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
RIP Rod Archer the Big Boss Daddy Man.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I'm a sucker for this kind of info.
https://www.spin.com/2016/02/black-flag-oscar-kira-roessler-academy-awar…
These chicks rock
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
It's always great when you start your day with something awesome and that was it.
Cheers Indo.
I'll second that.
That was unreal Indo - cheers for that.
Try not smiling while those chicks are going crazy.
Legends.
Thanks Indo … magic.