I love Bali

Baron Wednesday, 11 Jan 2023 at 07:48 am new

Anyone flown with them (Batik) from Aus. Better/worse than Jetstar or Virgin. Would usually fly Garuda but they have limited flights/ schedules at the moment.

andy-mac Wednesday, 11 Jan 2023 at 07:56 am new

Baron wrote:

Anyone flown with them (Batik) from Aus. Better/worse than Jetstar or Virgin. Would usually fly Garuda but they have limited flights/ schedules at the moment.

Flew with them a few times within Indo and all good. Only once from Oz when we were booked with Malindo but went with Batik plane and crew. Got to say that they were better than my experiences with Jetstar and Virgin. Just having 32kg luggage is major bonus with meal included, nice flight crew etc.

udo Wednesday, 11 Jan 2023 at 07:58 am new

Batik bought Malindo

Supafreak Wednesday, 11 Jan 2023 at 08:05 am new

A friend has flown twice now Brisbane to Bali with Batik, no issues. I’ve flown a few times in indo with them and no issues.

groundswell Wednesday, 11 Jan 2023 at 08:52 am new

I flew with Merpati once and my new indonesian friends in Sumatra laughed and said in semi pidgeon/english/indonesian-- "vertical takeoff, vertical landing" or something meaning that...They dont fly with them so i never did again.Lion air seem better for jakarta to padang or jakarta to nusa tengarra

udo Wednesday, 11 Jan 2023 at 09:00 am new

I am thankfull to have survived SMAC Airlines

andy-mac Wednesday, 11 Jan 2023 at 09:28 am new

groundswell wrote:

I flew with Merpati once and my new indonesian friends in Sumatra laughed and said in semi pidgeon/english/indonesian-- "vertical takeoff, vertical landing" or something meaning that...They dont fly with them so i never did again.Lion air seem better for jakarta to padang or jakarta to nusa tengarra

Lion Air in Indo is known as Lying Air, but I never had a problem with them...

groundswell Wednesday, 11 Jan 2023 at 10:47 am new

yeah i never did either and from if i recall correctly 7 foot board bags no problem and 30kg baggage allowance.

Supafreak Wednesday, 11 Jan 2023 at 12:04 pm new

groundswell wrote:

I flew with Merpati once and my new indonesian friends in Sumatra laughed and said in semi pidgeon/english/indonesian-- "vertical takeoff, vertical landing" or something meaning that...They dont fly with them so i never did again.Lion air seem better for jakarta to padang or jakarta to nusa tengarra

The catch phrase for merparti was “ its merparti ( my party ) and I’ll fly if I want too fly if I want too “

groundswell Wednesday, 11 Jan 2023 at 01:38 pm new

haha thats witty

tubeshooter Wednesday, 11 Jan 2023 at 06:26 pm new

The one I heard was " It's Merpati, and I'll die if I want to, die if I want to." Of course, I heard this after flying with them.
I've had 2 flights with them. One pilot very nearly overshot the runway on landing, this was after having to pump up a couple of tyres on the landing gear before we took off. The other time I could barely see out the window from the oil spray coming off one of the engines. White knuckle stuff.

danielemslie Friday, 13 Jan 2023 at 01:48 pm new

.

udo Saturday, 14 Jan 2023 at 12:43 pm new

What happened to Bali Solve Entry Vax Requirements insta post Burleigh ?

250,000 Fully Vaxxed Chinese expected to enter Indonesia this year
https://thebalisun.com/bali-praised-by-chinese-foreign-ministry-for-mak…

FriarTuck Sunday, 15 Jan 2023 at 12:37 pm new

udo wrote:

What happened to Bali Solve Entry Vax Requirements insta post Burleigh ?

250,000 Fully Vaxxed Chinese expected to enter Indonesia this year

https://thebalisun.com/bali-praised-by-chinese-foreign-ministry-for-mak…

He's probably surfing not trawling the internet or instagram all day looking for links to post and troll people, get a life and except you have been fooled lol.

udo Sunday, 15 Jan 2023 at 12:55 pm new

Fooled ...in what Way ?

FriarTuck Sunday, 15 Jan 2023 at 01:11 pm new

take you blindfold off

Supafreak Tuesday, 24 Jan 2023 at 11:37 am new

Does anyone know where I can get long range forecast of tide times for sumba ? I’m planning a trip in June. Peter Neely R.I.P . used to have the yearly one for Bali but best I can find now is 3 months in advance for Bali and only a weekly one for sumba . Thanks in advance for any info. .

seaslug Tuesday, 24 Jan 2023 at 09:54 pm new

No mate but buoyweather premium might show predictions up to 16 days, not sure how accurate and you will have to subscribe

udo Tuesday, 24 Jan 2023 at 10:25 pm new
Supafreak Wednesday, 25 Jan 2023 at 06:49 am new

Thanks for that Udo , muchly appreciated

Supafreak Friday, 27 Jan 2023 at 08:46 am new

1 shot of Bali arak in the morning, 1 in the evening, Governor Koster recommends https://coconuts.co/bali/news/1-shot-of-bali-arak-in-the-morning-1-in-t…

seaslug Friday, 27 Jan 2023 at 01:18 pm new

Ha ha only in Indo

spidermonkey Friday, 17 Feb 2023 at 11:23 pm new

Went to Ubud for the day with my girl, first time back in Bali for over ten years. I don't have the words to describe that place but I might go back just for the spectacle. Funniest thing I've seen so far was this uber trendy very serious looking euro chick riding through the main street with her left boob out. I can't for the life of me work out if it was intentional or not

spidermonkey Friday, 17 Feb 2023 at 11:30 pm new

In other news the crowd at Keramas has been a bit nasty, but thankfully other less busy options are still viable. I love it!

donweather Saturday, 18 Feb 2023 at 10:36 pm new

Does anyone know if you can enter Padang on an international flight yet? Air asia are selling KL-Padang tickets but according to the Garuda website you can't enter Padang on an international flight yet?

https://www.garuda-indonesia.com/id/en/news-and-events/kebijakan-operas…

Seems like that link above may be Garuda Propaganda

https://en.tempo.co/read/1638324/minangkabau-airport-to-resume-internat….

udo Saturday, 18 Feb 2023 at 10:42 pm new
indo-dreaming Sunday, 19 Feb 2023 at 08:06 am new

donweather wrote:

Does anyone know if you can enter Padang on an international flight yet? Air asia are selling KL-Padang tickets but according to the Garuda website you can't enter Padang on an international flight yet?

https://www.garuda-indonesia.com/id/en/news-and-events/kebijakan-operas…

Seems like that link above may be Garuda Propaganda

https://en.tempo.co/read/1638324/minangkabau-airport-to-resume-internat….

Yeah i thought was open, issue for international flights to Padang is just the lack of demand they use to run flights with half empty planes, but post Covid with the losses they have had to suffer and rise in fuel cost it seems like in Indo the dont run flights now until planes are full so in 2022 they were cancelling and rescheduling a lot of flights to combine them to get planes full.

I can see this happening for a lot of flights in 2023 into and out of Padang which means if you cut things too fine and flights are rescheduled you could risk missing your boat or international flight, hence id be factoring in some buffer time in and out, of course if things do run on schedule it means you have time to kill in Padang, but still IMHO better than risking missing boat or flights.

donweather Sunday, 19 Feb 2023 at 08:18 am new

indo-dreaming wrote:

donweather wrote:

Does anyone know if you can enter Padang on an international flight yet? Air asia are selling KL-Padang tickets but according to the Garuda website you can't enter Padang on an international flight yet?

https://www.garuda-indonesia.com/id/en/news-and-events/kebijakan-operas…

Seems like that link above may be Garuda Propaganda

https://en.tempo.co/read/1638324/minangkabau-airport-to-resume-internat….

Yeah i thought was open, issue for international flights to Padang is just the lack of demand they use to run flights with half empty planes, but post Covid with the losses they have had to suffer and rise in fuel cost it seems like in Indo the dont run flights now until planes are full so in 2022 they were cancelling and rescheduling a lot of flights to combine them to get planes full.

I can see this happening for a lot of flights in 2023 into and out of Padang which means if you cut things too fine and flights are rescheduled you could risk missing your boat or international flight, hence id be factoring in some buffer time in and out, of course if things do run on schedule it means you have time to kill in Padang, but still IMHO better than risking missing boat or flights.

Hmmm thanks Indo. Hopefully 2023 is a little different to 2022. Unless we go for 2 days up our sleeve beforehand (as they don’t fly every day) we are cutting it fine.

indo-dreaming Sunday, 19 Feb 2023 at 04:09 pm new

Yeah okay not daily flights hopefully will be fine then.

MrBungle Monday, 20 Feb 2023 at 11:35 am new

I might be heading over to Bali in October for a wedding. Has anyone had luck surfing over there in October? Are there still good trade winds? My guess is it's a bit hit and miss around that time.

arcadia Monday, 20 Feb 2023 at 11:41 am new

I've visited a couple of times during October. The trades were still blowing.

andy-mac Monday, 20 Feb 2023 at 11:54 am new

MrBungle wrote:

I might be heading over to Bali in October for a wedding. Has anyone had luck surfing over there in October? Are there still good trade winds? My guess is it's a bit hit and miss around that time.

Great time of year, plenty of options on both sides of island if light winds.
Can get late season swells with trades with less crowds, use to anyway, think crowds pretty full on all year round now.

Supafreak Monday, 20 Feb 2023 at 01:08 pm new

A few years ago October had the biggest swell of the year I think from memory. It’s good also for some east coast waves before the water turns to shit with the rain . Variable winds so both sides of the Bukit can be good, surf one side in the morning and the other side in the afternoon.

MrBungle Monday, 20 Feb 2023 at 01:56 pm new

Thanks for the replies, that's good to hear.

groundswell Monday, 20 Feb 2023 at 02:11 pm new

Scored supersuck in west sumbawa solid 3-5 foot one day in october then solid 6+ the next day, last day before my 180 day visa expired.Most left town thinking it was a shit season.

Also back in 97 scored chickens at g-land 3-4 foot for two days in october..about 15 at kongs that swell
chickens was a good 300 metre ride each wave if you highlined it and pumped a bit

eel Monday, 20 Feb 2023 at 02:27 pm new

MrBungle wrote:

I might be heading over to Bali in October for a wedding. Has anyone had luck surfing over there in October? Are there still good trade winds? My guess is it's a bit hit and miss around that time.

I got married there in October a few years back and was there in October last year. It's a good time of year. Can get a mix of SE trades and Westerlies so both sides of the island at different times.

Island Bay Monday, 20 Feb 2023 at 03:12 pm new

Been there many times in October, and it's usually a good time.

https://i.imgur.com/wEqwFx0.jpg

marto1986 Tuesday, 21 Feb 2023 at 10:47 am new

Good morning Bali Brains trust. My loving partner suprised me last week for our aniversay a trip to Bingin next weekend for the March long weekend staying right on the beach. She booked thinking it was a great spot when we went for the day last August for surfing for me and relaxing for her. Ive checked the forecast and it is not looking great being this early in the year. Does the area get the early morning light winds before the onshore trades kick in most days?

groundswell Tuesday, 21 Feb 2023 at 10:54 am new

a lof of mornings in march april in my experience are ne to north or east then either west to sw or sometimes se not kicking in till 12 or 1pm but usually light winds from what ive seen..can be good for nyang nyang, south coast nusa dua or medewi to balian coast in march april.not often big enough for bingin and wind often not offshore.

andy-mac Tuesday, 21 Feb 2023 at 10:55 am new

marto1986 wrote:

Good morning Bali Brains trust. My loving partner suprised me last week for our aniversay a trip to Bingin next weekend for the March long weekend staying right on the beach. She booked thinking it was a great spot when we went for the day last August for surfing for me and relaxing for her. Ive checked the forecast and it is not looking great being this early in the year. Does the area get the early morning light winds before the onshore trades kick in most days?

March could be lucky with light onshore winds all day, maybe glassy mornings. Short trip to other spots on bukit that can get good with light winds and not much swell which are hardly secret spots but I will not post here. Even wet season Ulu can be fun, just not generally the groomed offshore blue water Ulu. I like the wet season in Bali, can get great and some rights can light up!

dandandan Tuesday, 21 Feb 2023 at 11:00 am new

October can sometimes be excellent and I've had some of the biggest waves I've had during that month. Last year was very average though and I gave up on the surf eventually and just went off and did other things. The gentrification of the Bukit was noticeable in regards to crowds too - felt as busy as it is during school holidays.

Supafreak Friday, 24 Feb 2023 at 12:12 pm new
amb Friday, 24 Feb 2023 at 02:06 pm new
andy-mac Saturday, 25 Feb 2023 at 03:33 pm new

Was WhatsApp chatting last night with a mate who lives in Bali. Told me that since 2021 there have been 90,000 Russians move to Bali. In comparison there are approximately 10,000 Aussie expats there.
20,000 arrive January just gone. Nuts, thought he may if been exaggerating, but doesn't look like it.
Yep Bali is changing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/en.tempo.co/amp/1694361/ukrainians-russian…

sypkan Saturday, 25 Feb 2023 at 04:12 pm new

how long til the balos say enuf's enuf...

and boot em out like the thais and other SE countries where apparently this has happened?

Im calling long long time...

those 'mellow' buddhist thais have a hard nut side, and the russians are heavily invested right across indo, plus jokowi thinks he's a bit of a peacemaker... and fancied his chances of mediating... well something at the G20...

the russians seem heavily involved in all the high end apartment like developments, and not just in a cash / realtor sense, they are construction advisors and overseers

apparently there's also some heavy partnership in oil rigs / refining or mining or something in java I once found with some pretty lazy googling

unforunately cash is king in indo, trumps any semblance of pride every time

Join the conversation Sign up for free OR Login