More from Wax On
notadmin
said:
Predator on a mission. https://www.instagram.com/p/DM078olTQ4T/?igsh=MXRobDY0aml1amtuYQ==
Test Format
2
Rochko B
said:
I have one in those dimensions; it's my favourite board. Instant connection and super carvy.
~ Spotted ~ Gumtree ~ Ebay ~ Facey ~
1395
truebluebasher
said:
Dedicated to Craig's Miraculous Boardswaps & Leggie Swaps
( Lost'n'Found Forward )
Distant memory Guns that resurfa
Miraculous board retrieval stories
11
Bnkref
said:
Romy has had some absolute gems the past few months. Today’s is exceptional.
I heart WOTD
4674
velocityjohnno
said:
https://www.surfer.com/news/orcas-attack-great-white-sharks-eat-liver-video
Shark Stories
1552
Looking for recommendations , I I haven’t been to either lakey peak or lances left in over a decade and know how quickly things change . Can anyone recommend a homestay or reasonable price accommodation at these spots as I’m venturing both directions later this year . Appreciate any feedback .
Hi SF. Had Lakeys booked for 2020 and we all know what happened then.
Had some mates stay at Aman Gati a few years back and although basic (like most in the area) has a pool which a lot of other places dont.
Also heard good reports about The Peak Surf House but a bit more $$ than others
Supafreak. Me again. You can stay right on the doorstep at Lances Left, but I wouldn’t, $220USD per night, rip off.
Much cheaper a couple of kms back in Katiet in the Lances Right, accommodation area, a whole host of price structures from the comfortable to very cheap.
Unfortunately I don’t know the names of all the cheap ones, but if you get on Google Earth you’ll see many of them just a few hundred metres back from all the waterline places. Some French guys told me they stayed with a family and or families, just the basics, each night a bit of protein fish or chicken with veggies on rice, they said it was fine and had reasonable beds.
I’ve never used anti-malarial drugs previously, but will this October, I know several individuals who got Dengue as well as just basic malaria, Plasmodium vivax.
Not to scare you at all, mozzie situation at Lances is barely a concern, it’s the cerebral malaria in the Banyaks and other areas of late that’s the real concern.
Three of us are going to Pinang Island, Autumn 2025, number one priority will be preventing malaria.
I’d stay in the Lances Right area if it was me, we always had mopeds on dry hire and only pay for the days we use them ,it’s only a 5-10 min ride to LLft or 15mins to Bintang, which when I was last there, pumped the whole two weeks. We’d surf LanceR in the morning or up to midday, when numbers rose, we’d piss off to Bintangs and end up clocking up 8-10 hours in total for the day. Great fun. AW
@vicbloke , I’ve stayed at aman gati before, it was ok and probably the best security for the amount of theft that happens down there . I’ve looked online at a few places that were very reasonable at $25 a night . I was hoping someone had been recently as any website can blow their own trumpet . .. @AW , haha I didn’t realise I had typed lances left , I did mean right . I’ve heard some home stays for $100 a night includes 3 meals. I’m going to be going later in year , might bump into you there .
Bit of movement in Sumatra tonight
Bit of a shake ,on your toes
You never know
5.7 Decent
https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/earthquakes/quake-info/9423497/mag5qua…
Paddle surfer gets a nice bazza on the first wave
On a 10'0 Dylan
I remember when it was a long walk in to Padang Padang and a handful of guys at the most , haven’t surfed there since the late 80s .
Crazy.
The good old days when it was rare to see a local surf.
Most of the agro I see here comes from the older guys probably as they know how good they used to have it.
Younger ones don't see to care just out there having fun, just going on my daughter, her boyfriend and friends anyway.
Supa, daughters boyfriend is going to Lakey Peak next month, not sure of the place but is only
$200 for 10 nights though lol. Probs dodgy.
Lakeys is unreal, got cerebral malaria twice down there in early 90's and ended up in hospital both times, but still went back.
Don't think it's a big issue now. Last time there in 2013, Aman Gati was pretty nice.
Lakeys is unreal, got cerebral malaria twice down there in early 90's and ended up in hospital both times, but still went back.
Don't think it's a big issue now. Last time there in 2013, Aman Gati was pretty nice.
Been hearing some fucked up stories from scams happening down there , mainly around bike rentals . Rent a bike that mysteriously gets stolen and you have to pay for it . Or paying for damage that was already on it . Stand over tactics can be very intimidating to newcomers. I was always put off by the transport mafia at the airport .
That was happening last time I was there.
Better just to get a double with local, or do not bother surfing Cobblestones. Use to love running down pass Nungus on way to Periscopes if ya knew it was going to be on.
Yep good ol days....
I was there for 6 weeks in 2004 and 8 locals died in that time . Watching young ozzies running around at sundown half pissed in just boardshorts was a worry , I’d be fully covered up with long pants and shirt with generous amount of deet .
Thanks, will let him know, he's going with 3 others so hopefully one of them will be on the ball.
He's pretty switched on for a 24 year old, a registered nurse so could come in handy lol
Got ins with covermore.
Second time I picked it up was in 1997, was fully clothed each evening long pants, long sleeves and socks, plus Deet and malaria drug, as had caught it before.
Still got it, was so pissed off, but was luckily in Oz and only one night in hospital. First time had over a week in hospital in Oz, was told lucky to have lived.
Don't stuff about with malaria!!
A relo of our's got malaria in Papua and now has trigeminal-neuralgia, in and out of hospital, triggered by foods/weather etc
Nightmare.
https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/trigeminal-neuralgia
Some good LP here. Dedi Gun and crew onto it too.
The right doesn't break at that size? Didn't watch long enough it does.
And Periscopes holding about as big as it can.
Same swell maybe?
I've had a couple of trips to Lakeys and no issues with bike rental. Maybe get a recommendation from where you're staying rather than off a random.
Stayed at Lucky Lakey both times. Not $20 a night but not expensive, particularly if you're splitting a room.
First time I was there we had the Shane and Jackson Dorian and a young Caity Simmers staying with us!
@Bnkref , hi , when were you last there ? I’ve had numerous trips but none since 2011 . Checked the website of lucky but couldn’t find link they said to go to for booking and prices .
Last trip was 2022. I think a mate booked directly that trip. Just had a quick look and it appears that it's now through AirBnB. There's about 4-5 rooms. Here's one for example.
https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/13135331?source_impression_id=p3_171773…
Ok , thanks, appreciated
Still have mafia at airport for transportation?
Think I paid almost double for drive than flight from memory.
Yeah they do but last trip we had a pickup organised through the accomodation.
I reckon it was about A$80-100 between three of us one way.
QS are having a good run.
Cheers.
"A woman who went missing in Indonesia was found dead inside the belly of a 20ft python.
Farida, 45, a mother of four, went missing on Thursday night while she was walking through woodlands to sell food at a market in central Indonesia’s Sulawesi province.
Her husband, Noni, 55, became suspicious after finding his wife’s belongings in the forest and spotting a 20ft-long python with a ballooned up belly. The man, identified along with his wife in local media only by one name, raised an alarm among the locals.
It is believed that the python bit her on her leg and coiled around her body to suffocate her before swallowing her whole.
The villagers caught the python and sliced open its belly and found the woman dead inside."
https://au.news.yahoo.com/woman-missing-forest-found-dead-090454028.html
Talking to some lads out in the water today who went down to Lakeys and Roti just recently , now wings air are charging 1 million rp per surfboard per flight, costs more for your surfboards ( if more than 1 ) than it does for a seat , fucking criminals .
Yeah they brought it in about a month ago and the Wings air meme sent out to resorts etc says only 9 board (or board bags) per flight, not sure if enforcing that aspect.
I blame da kunts that bring five boards in a coffin, airlines hate them and those wings planes cargo hold has limited space as smaller planes.
"I blame da kunts that bring five boards in a coffin"
yep, the board stack has gotten a bit over the top of late
but, to be fair to airlines, it's all about supply and demand... there's plenty of demand... and it seems no one is
walking away...
also, surfers are a bit delusional about their worth... as a couple of guys with resorts in sumatra like to point out...
surfboards are generally more hassle than they are worth for airlines, especially smaller planes
and, as Indonesia quickly races into the middle classes... we are just are not that needed / desired anymore...
Garuda , Nam & Citilink don’t charge for surfboards, it’s the lion group that have brought this in .
garuda is pretty premium- especially in indo, and seems to copy qantas policy. good if citilink still follows this policy too. only flown nam once - pretty impressed if they are still free...
lion was free once too ...I dunno if it was actually free... or just no one actually knew... because it was pretty hit and miss...
the thing with lion is, it's gone up so quick... started 200k, then 500k, now 1 mil... and (not) checking board bags was a good scam for a while...
the other thing with lion is its probably got the most routes, and the most used by indo's, so surfers not really a priority
also I read some time ago that they have upped safety standards and therefore maintenance schedules in indo
so I guess a hapless and hopeless airline with a record such as lion has to pay for that somehow...
1 mil is steep, especially per board, and especially when per leg of journey!
but as I said, seems they care little for whinging surfers
It sucks but i kind of get it, Lion group is total budget and these budget Indo airlines are running on min cost there has been a couple that have gone belly up over the years like Adam air
Garuda/Citlink will sadly most likely increase prices as now pressure gets put on them to take more boards.
Garuda/Citlink is also majority government owned so a little different but they have still had big money issue's technically bankrupt only a couple years ago.
Im just glad i have a few boards over there already.
@indo I flew up to Padang from Bali in April with super jet ( Lion group ) it was 2 legs and 3 boards so extra cost 1.2 million, came back with Garuda and it worked out 600,000 rp cheaper . The policy when I inquired with super jet was maximum of 5 surfboard bags per plane . There was only 2 of us ( surfers ) on the flight . I would be spewing to pay 1 million per flight per surfboard and boards not make it if policy was enforced . The Garuda flight from Jakarta to Bali was a 777 and not a spare seat as long weekend .
I know this shit is getting a bit tired
and there's probably no turning back...
but some of this shit is criminal
'mirah developments' again...
https://thebalisun.com/outrage-as-construction-starts-at-world-famous-b…
so sad the local leaders are so easily bought. and to be frank, it makes no sense when one considers the 'beliefs' of local religion...
I'm no scholar of bali hinduism, but it amazes me the lengths they will go to to preserve a little temple, and then allow this widespread destruction...
the little temple with the road hugging it half way up the big hill near bingin has impresed me and bemused me for years...
then this shit just makes you angry
this is impressive too
in a different manner...
some loose cats getting around bali these days
https://thebalisun.com/investigation-launched-in-bali-over-foreigner-wh…
Hi Supa, just after some advice if you dont mind?
Traveling with the family in August going from Lembongan up to Amed. Looking on the net we can catch the Eka Jaya ferry from Lembongan to Padang Bai which goes once a day and saves going back to Sanur. Are you familiar with this and should I book online in advance? Thanks for your help!
Hi Charles , I haven’t gone that route personally but local friends do regularly, no need to book online you can easily do it at their office on the beach at jungutbatu Lembongan. That way if plans change you will be ok , doubt it’s ever a full boat .
Just received some sad news , some of you would have met an American skipper in mentawai called Eric , was skipper on Addiction for some years and before that on another boat . He built a land camp at thunders . Yesterday surfing big rags left he never made it back to the boat and his body was found today. Leaves behind an Indonesian wife & 2 kids . R.I.P. Eric
Sad news. RIP.
It’s unbelievable the amount of development on nusa penida in such a short time .They built like crazy throughout covid , restaurants, accommodation etc etc . From when someone first took a photo above kelingking beach and posted it on instagram , the industry that exploded from that photo is amazing . 4000-6000 day trippers venture from ports in sanur and benoa to then get in a traffic jam on penida to then walk over a kilometre to look at the view , have lunch somewhere and turn around and make the journey back . Blows my mind . That photo is everywhere , from tourism adds on tv , magazines on planes, billboards throughout indo . There are some beautiful sites on the island but after visiting there for over 40 years I won’t be going back( on land , still fish there ) The infrastructure and roads are shocking . On Facebook there are clips of people jumping of the cliffs a few hundred metres high, attached to a rope ( not bungee ) you would have to be insane to try this and put your trust into the people running this thrill seeking gimmick . …..edit……maybe it is a bungee cord , still looks suss https://www.facebook.com/share/r/nxs3P5PYz8Rr1fup/?mibextid=xCPwDs
Did the bungee a couple of times at 66, not doing that!
Yes sad news.
RIP
@sypkan , I posted some photos of that cutting in the cliff on penida some years ago on either this thread or the photos thread . I had assumed, wrongly it seems , that it was a new sandstone quarry for all the building that was going on . I asked my local skipper at the time what it was and he had no idea and also thought it was a quarry . The Saudi king when he visited Bali before covid , spent up big buying land on penida .