More from Wax Off
truebluebasher said: Who requested the most despicable reverse hostile cross national sickly song about world's #1 arsehole!
Think tbb should first warn the…
World Music... oops, I mean, music that is perhaps unfamiliar to western listeners because it's from underrepresented places..61
lucky-al said: Likewise, freeride76. Will call in next time I'm down your way.
Botany Nerds Ahoy2,639
seeds said: Oh shit yeah, I’ve been there a couple of times. Once on school camp and once as a adult 25 years younger than now.
Show us your photos2,826
seeds
said:
Opti said “Anyone who reads your past comments will easily see why you’re not worth engaging in conversation.”
No numbn
All Things Religion Thread
5463
Optimist
said:
Where I live now is perfect…..but I’ve had better in the past.
Where in AUS would you live in you could take your pick?
17
freeride76
said:
You're always going to run the risk of a big flatty busting you or biting you off on light gear and bait hooks.
I wou
Fishing tips
1149
Supafreak
said:
This guy has broken his back in 2 places plus other injuries but this horrific fall didn’t break his spirit, such a amaz
The MTB Thread
315
A Salty Dog
said:
[quote=velocityjohnno]Bagspreading
Be the bigger man and don't do it
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/n
Australia - you're standing in it
10602
Even though I like a lot of their tracks, The Smiths always seemed overtly introspective and far too into themselves to me. The Go Betweens, who were were bumped by UK record company Postcard (I think) for The Smiths, rang a little truer for me. Also a bit up themselves, but I loved their melodies and lyrics.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Worth a look.
Could well bring a tear to yer eye - the interviews in this vid certainly hit a nerve amongst the old band members.
And for me, The Go-Betweens invoke such a feeling of nostalgia for an older Australia that no longer exists.
https://iview.abc.net.au/show/go-betweens-right-here/video/AC1608H001S00
Agree.... 16 Lovers Lane in my view is brilliant. Did not really bget into them in 80's as was into heavier style of music at the time.
16 grew on me in last 10 years, and yep takes me back to a simpler time.
Thanks for posting link, have been wanting to see this doco, think reading about it may have been catalyst to give them a serious listen....
Thanks Andy x 2. Haven't seen either of those vids. Might mess up my work day a little. Same as above, didn't know much about Go Betweens until Streets of your town came out... when I took a deeper look, it while to warm to them too - but I reckon the best music normally needs to seep in for a while before it can truly resonate.
Also reckon you may have to be over a certain age to appreciate it. Was case for me.... :)
Does anyone remember this band? Boys from Sydney and Newcastle, from the early 90’s. I shared a house with them in London for a short while in late 91.
One night they supported the Breeders at the Marquee club, don’t remember much about the gig but do remember busting out REM’s “Superman” around the kitchen table in the wee hours later that night. 30 years, a lifetime ago. Songs still hold up.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Didn't know the moles, but found this cracker when I looked them up.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Blackers, hearing The Triffids, Go-Betweens, The La's and maybe some Stone Roses in that track by The Moles.
As well as that REM song.
Sounds like a lot of Adelaide bands from that period i.e. Mandelbrot Set, Happy Patch, The Undecided (one of my first bands).
Anyone remember the Youngblood compilation series from RooArt? #4 was a killer.. discovered some great bands through that label.
I think I still have #1 hanging around on cassette somewhere Ben. Same place as my “Cooking with George” tapes.
Classic Adelaide band, perhaps best heard after lunch : )
Personally, I like the sound of TMOC in the morning.
I've got the first RooArt album on vinyl. Hasn't had a needle in the grooves for a loooong time.
Haha Ben, I have to wake up a bit more gently than that.
10 points (though unsure if your in-joke was intended!)
nice, REM and the Go-Betweens. They, alongside the Ramones and TISM, were the fist 4 bands I was ever into, at the tender age of 12. The influence of the big bro and his mates kicked in early
i still kick myself, when the Go-Betweens came to Eumundi some years back when they released their last album 'Oceans Apart' (which I think is an awesome album) and I thought the ticket price was too high, so didnt bother - then Grant died not long after, so I missed my chance to ever see them live...
and I had that Yongblood album on tape originally, lost it, then picked up the LP recently at an antiques shop for $9. Its ok for a listen now and then, no real standouts on it for me
An awesome album it is.
As is this single from it.
If the wife and I ever get married - properly married that is - this'll be the cheeseball slow-waltz-down-the-aisle song we'll do it to.
And then we'll all get uproariously drunk.
Do it!
Makes a huge difference.
sounds perfect Stu!
there's definitely no filler on that album
I still listen to some of their early albums regularly, there's some really good stuff in there
revealing my softer, maybe somewhat maudlin side - I've recently been captured by the Seeker Lover Keeper self-title album. Those 3 lovely ladies each have great voices and songwriting skills, so coming together, there are some great tunes on that album
and then....there's this. I guess Apia are trying to tap into a demographic. Happy for Lindy to make some bucks, but a bit of a strange choice given that the Go Betweens didn't really push through to mainstream (apart from Streets of your town). Maybe that's the point?
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
You know when your getting old when a teen crush is selling pensioners insurance...Oh well.
This is pretty good.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
And then there is this..
Iron Shieks! Wow, memories: my first ever proper licensed venue gig was supporting those guys (at Le Rox!) when I was seventeen. A few years later, their legendary bass player Gerry ended up being our live sound engineer for quite a while.
Love their description: "wrestlemania thrash metal".
https://historyofaussiemusic.blogspot.com/2016/06/iron-sheiks.html
Lovin that Meatbeaters stuff Constance.
I remember they did a show with Cock and The Toss.
Some balls out rock for ya.
The photo on the Iron Sheiks cover is just brilliant, blokes who like a beer! The better form of Oz pub rock for sure.
Have been getting back into some psych guitar sounds of late, maybe it's all the droning on in the forum's.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>p0
TMOC got mentioned back a bit. My favourite X songs.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Something a bit different.
Oh my god, Weird al Yankovich got messages on twitter saying excellent piss take of kid rock but he said that actually IS kid rock.
That’s so heavy
Her Master of Puppets cover is absolutely superb. Bravo!
I heard Metallica were classically trained, so it switches back really nicely. In fact, probably worthy of discussion here: did classical music become metal?
& hearing that piano version of Master of Puppets reminded young one of the original soundtrack to Doom:
There's some serious creativity and intelligence in the music being made for games, this fella is awesome:
Part 2 even better, how he creates the chaotic sounds:
Doom still scares the pants off me, everything from the plot to actually trying to play it.
Yeah good work Indo. Wasn’t what I was expecting, quite a literal interpretation and powerful keyboard work. Nice hair too.
If you love punk rock this is gold,<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
The 90’s weren’t too bad.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
That Master of Puppets cover was a pleasant surprise!
They're actually quite similar classical and metal, particularly technical death metal.
Yep, agree.
90's were great, this one's a fav
Strange before strange was cool.
.
Where's the like button?
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I used to listen to a fair bit of punk / pop punk / heavy stuff. Must be getting old though.....while I'm poking around the 90's - here's something a bit more mellow.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Totally icandig - "Leaves Me Blind" was on rotation in the surf beast back then. Never got over to Melbourne which was quite the scene apparently at that time (expensive flights + small kids!)
Have we gone electronic on the thread yet? There was this awesome undercurrent of 80's electronic around Perth in the early 90s.
Flowers morphed from pub rock into kinda synth pop in early eighties and became Icehouse. I've always liked this track.
I thought their music was "OK" back in the day. I never really paid too much attention to them until jumping on the nostalgia train at this festival: https://bythec.com.au/past-shows/icehouse/geelong/
Iva Davies had the most pitch perfect, sonically mesmerising voice.....his performance for me was the standout in a bunch of great bands. Insert plum - " Classically trained you know".
https://neighbourhoodpaper.com/culture/man-colours-iva-davies-architect…
Way back in the early 90s The Beast of Bourbon prophesied the coming of covid.
.....
_____
Spent most of the 90’s in the old dart. Missed a lot of oz bands from that period but did see this crew over the years. Two songs that pretty much bookend my time there.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>