I love Bali

DudeSweetDudeSweet Sunday, 17 Jul 2022 at 05:50 pm new

What’s happened to surfing when crew like to pile on and hassle a young surfer who lives healthy, takes responsibility for their life and their family and just wants to be true to himself and go surfing?

Fuckers hassling someone cause he doesn’t subscribe to their group think.

I don’t get it. What’s wrong with you people? This isn’t the surfing vibe I know or want to know. Leave me out of your supermarket shelf conformism.

goofyfoot Sunday, 17 Jul 2022 at 07:20 pm new

burleigh wrote:

seeds wrote:

Honey?

No.

What do you eat Burleigh?

burleigh Sunday, 17 Jul 2022 at 07:46 pm new

goofyfoot wrote:

burleigh wrote:
seeds wrote:

Honey?

No.

What do you eat Burleigh?

Not honey

seeds Sunday, 17 Jul 2022 at 08:00 pm new

Pile on? I couldn’t care less what he does or eats. I was just working out for myself that he’s vegan (I think) Nothing wrong with being a vegan. Unless he’s a sanctimoniously judgmental twat like the 3 vegans I know. I don’t know Burliegh and I’m sure all vegans can’t be the same. One thing for sure is that they are pretty healthy

burleigh Sunday, 17 Jul 2022 at 08:06 pm new

seeds wrote:

Pile on? I couldn’t care less what he does or eats. I was just working out for myself that he’s vegan (I think) Nothing wrong with being a vegan. Unless he’s a sanctimoniously judgmental twat like the 3 vegans I know. I don’t know Burliegh and I’m sure all vegans can’t be the same. One thing for sure is that they are pretty healthy

Keeping to the bali theme, prob the best selection of Vegan options anywhere in the world.
But seeds, not all vegan food is healthy.

seeds Sunday, 17 Jul 2022 at 08:14 pm new

That’s true mate.

seaslug Sunday, 17 Jul 2022 at 08:39 pm new

India is the best for veg and vegan

juegasiempre Sunday, 17 Jul 2022 at 10:00 pm new

udo wrote:

Juega hows the waves today ?

Down on yesterday for sure. I surfed a smaller spot today after yesterday's beatdown. Looks like tomorrow will be smaller again but still good.

I reckon you could get a good wave somewhere on this island every day of the year.

andy-mac Wednesday, 20 Jul 2022 at 12:07 pm new

Question re vac in kids in Indo. Can anyone confirm if kids and at what age need to have proof of vaccination to travel on domestic flights within Indo?
Cheers ...

udo Wednesday, 20 Jul 2022 at 12:32 pm new

Children travelling with their parents or guardians...
Kids below 18years TRAVELLING WITH their parents or guardians, follow the quarantine and entry conditions that apply to their parents / guardian upon arrival. Means, if the parents would have to quarantine, the kids have to follow, even if they would be fully vaccinated themselves.
Children don't need to be vaccinated if they enter with a Visa on Arrival or are exempted from the visa.
If Children need a B211A Visa, for the application process they need a medical statement letter stating, that they can't be vaccinated due to their age.
https://newsroom.airasia.com/news/2020/5/26/indonesia-domestic-and-inte…

andy-mac Wednesday, 20 Jul 2022 at 12:35 pm new

udo wrote:

Children travelling with their parents or guardians...

Kids below 18years TRAVELLING WITH their parents or guardians, follow the quarantine and entry conditions that apply to their parents / guardian upon arrival. Means, if the parents would have to quarantine, the kids have to follow, even if they would be fully vaccinated themselves.

Children don't need to be vaccinated if they enter with a Visa on Arrival or are exempted from the visa.

If Children need a B211A Visa, for the application process they need a medical statement letter stating, that they can't be vaccinated due to their age.

https://newsroom.airasia.com/news/2020/5/26/indonesia-domestic-and-inte…

Great.
Thank you for that, much appreciated. :)

Supafreak Wednesday, 20 Jul 2022 at 12:42 pm new

Still current at:20 July 2022
Updated:15 July 2022
Latest update:You don't need a COVID-19 test or proof of COVID-19 medical insurance to travel to Indonesia. You must be vaccinated with at least 2 COVID-19 vaccine doses. Children under 18 don't need to be vaccinated to enter Indonesia. For domestic travel, from 17 July, if you've received less than 3 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine, you'll need to take a COVID-19 (PCR or RAT) test (see ‘Travel’). Children will not be required to take a COVID-19 (PCR or RAT) test for domestic travel. If you're aged 6 to 17 years old, you must carry a COVID-19 vaccination certificate showing that you've received at least 2 COVID-19 vaccine doses. Check the latest visa, entry and vaccination requirements with your travel provider or your nearest Indonesian Embassy or Consulate before travel.
https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/destinations/asia/indonesia ………the domestic travel part is a bit confusing, not sure if they’re referring to tourists or locals.

andy-mac Wednesday, 20 Jul 2022 at 12:58 pm new

Supafreak wrote:

Still current at:20 July 2022

Updated:15 July 2022

Latest update:You don't need a COVID-19 test or proof of COVID-19 medical insurance to travel to Indonesia. You must be vaccinated with at least 2 COVID-19 vaccine doses. Children under 18 don't need to be vaccinated to enter Indonesia. For domestic travel, from 17 July, if you've received less than 3 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine, you'll need to take a COVID-19 (PCR or RAT) test (see ‘Travel’). Children will not be required to take a COVID-19 (PCR or RAT) test for domestic travel. If you're aged 6 to 17 years old, you must carry a COVID-19 vaccination certificate showing that you've received at least 2 COVID-19 vaccine doses. Check the latest visa, entry and vaccination requirements with your travel provider or your nearest Indonesian Embassy or Consulate before travel.

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/destinations/asia/indonesia ………the domestic travel part is a bit confusing, not sure if they’re referring to tourists or locals.

Cheers Supa... Makasi Pak....

soggydog Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 10:06 am new

Anybody had trouble getting boards into Bali, heard on the bush telegraph that a crew from Margs had trouble with big shooters on Jet star. Big boards for G land I heard.
I’m planning on taking 4-5 boards over plus domestic flights, 2 each way to destination, wondering if anyone has had trouble. Cheers.

campbell Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 10:15 am new

I just got back, flew air asia with an 8ft coffin, no probs, I think they even allow 9,0 (2.77m) I think jetstar has 7,6 max length, did hear the boys had issue with over 7,6.
Also of note several jetstar flights were being cancelled each day when we left a couple weeks ago due to air crew being stretched but havent heard anything more about that since .
No dramas in airports either end otherwise , still quiet

stunet Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 10:16 am new

I got a 7'0" there and back with Jetstar no problems. Three boards in the bag and it was a touch over the 23 kegs limit but they were cool.

4-5 boards. Why?

AlfredWallace Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 10:16 am new

Soggydog. I and others on our coast have had previous problems with JetStar, they dont like any board bags that exceed 180cm in length. On one occasion by sheer luck one of my mates sister who works for the aforementioned airline out of Melbourne bailed us out with a phone call, all resolved in a minute. We have never used the airline again as a few of us are in our late fifties and have a couple of mid length boards amongst us which we would never get on the plane. Steer way clear of the DeathStar.

campbell Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 10:22 am new

Also of note, Bintangs were hit and miss, figured some have been sitting in the dust for 3 years or so in warungs so a bit hard on the gut..
No issue at Gland Bobbys though, the turnover there is pretty fast!

goofyfoot Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 10:22 am new

I’ve taken 7’6 board bags on Jetstar without any issues

soggydog Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 10:46 am new

stunet wrote:

I got a 7'0" there and back with Jetstar no problems. Three boards in the bag and it was a touch over the 23 kegs limit but they were cool.

4-5 boards. Why?

Probably because I’m a retarded frother but mainly because I’ve got a couple of boards that are pretty similar in purpose that I’d like to compare. And I thought, what better place to do it?

stunet Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 10:58 am new

soggydog wrote:

stunet wrote:

I got a 7'0" there and back with Jetstar no problems. Three boards in the bag and it was a touch over the 23 kegs limit but they were cool.

4-5 boards. Why?

Probably because I’m a retarded frother but mainly because I’ve got a couple of boards that are pretty similar in purpose that I’d like to compare. And I thought, what better place to do it?

Well, true, Indo is a great place to compare boards, but carting them around, packing and unpacking, ain't good for their health, nor for your shoulder.

goofyfoot Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 11:35 am new

How many did you take on your recent trip Stu? And how many did you ride?

andy-mac Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 11:43 am new

Always better to have a board you don't use with you than wishing you had that board!

stunet Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 12:02 pm new

goofyfoot wrote:

How many did you take on your recent trip Stu? And how many did you ride?

Took three and rode them all. Had a fair size spread, from 6'0" to 7'0", and wasn't really wanting for any other boards.

I had a trip years ago when I took a brand new shortboard and got home without riding it and the thing looked like shit.

soggydog Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 12:18 pm new

I’ve got some tricks for board bags using adhesive concrete expansion gap foam. Took 4 boards to G land last time I went with no issues. Plus I’m going solo and spending the 14 days in one spot. I’ll have to drag them as far as the airport Novotel going to and from. Range 6’1” to 7’2”.

udo Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 12:31 pm new

Busy up at Black Sand today

https://balibelly.com/pages/keramas

udo Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 01:58 pm new
donweather Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 02:51 pm new

stunet wrote:

I got a 7'0" there and back with Jetstar no problems. Three boards in the bag and it was a touch over the 23 kegs limit but they were cool.

4-5 boards. Why?

23 kg limit?

juegasiempre Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 03:08 pm new

I took over 2 boards and sold one, my step up. I'm usually the first to reach for a step up in Oz once the swell gets around 2m, but the waves here are so easy to paddle into, as long as you position well, commit and paddle hard, I've rarely felt undergunned on my shortboard.

When the swell gets to a point where I think I need a bigger board here, I'm not sure I want to be out! The big cleanup sets are real!

juegasiempre Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 03:14 pm new

Said more simply. On the east coast my shortboard is good for 2-4 ft. Here is good for 1-6 ft.

Stok Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 06:07 pm new

I've been in Bali for the last week and have been happy with my 6'1. Probably could've used a bit more volume to pick up the bigger ones at Ulus today but not worth bringing the extra board for.

icandig Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 06:19 pm new

Took two boards. 6'8 and 6'6. Only used the 6'6. Airport made me reshuffle luggage in Melb and Denpasar as board bag (with extra fins) over the limit I think 12.5kgs. Flew Jetstar (who also delayed flights from both ends).

goofyfoot Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 07:56 pm new

Stok wrote:

I've been in Bali for the last week and have been happy with my 6'1. Probably could've used a bit more volume to pick up the bigger ones at Ulus today but not worth bringing the extra board for.

I guess it also depends on what you’re chasing and what you’re happy with. If OC is 10ft and that’s what you want to surf the 6’1” probably won’t cut it.
But on the same day you could surf Kuta reef and get away with your 6’1”.

I’d rather be over gunned than under.

How big did ulu’s end up getting today anyway stok?

soggydog Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 09:20 pm new

Enjoying this discussion. I’m doing the gym work etc to hopefully tackle the bigger days if/when they come. I’ve also collected some nice mid range boards, second hand and new, just haven’t had the opportunity of late to use them, then I’ve got my everyday board that I ride around home most of the time. I could just take 4, but I’ve got a 6’4 and a 6’6” that would be for a similar size range but they’re quite different designs, same volume. There’s probably a reasonable amount of overlap in the board bag if I’m honest.
The other thing is, how many opportunities do you get un-encumbered to sit in front of a wave and go through your boards. If you’re me, not as many as I’d like..
Carting them around doesn’t really bother me, I’ve paid for the extra kg’s on Air Asia.
And the big disclaimer…… I’m a retarded frother.
Thanks Gentlemen.

evosurfer Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 10:12 pm new

I take 4 boards my normal small wave board 2 x stepups and one bigger gun type
board for outside corner. As I always stay in the ulus area I find I use the 1st 2 step ups
the most so if a break one ive got a backup.

Stok Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 11:45 pm new

goofyfoot wrote:

Stok wrote:

I've been in Bali for the last week and have been happy with my 6'1. Probably could've used a bit more volume to pick up the bigger ones at Ulus today but not worth bringing the extra board for.

I guess it also depends on what you’re chasing and what you’re happy with. If OC is 10ft and that’s what you want to surf the 6’1” probably won’t cut it.

But on the same day you could surf Kuta reef and get away with your 6’1”.

I’d rather be over gunned than under.

How big did ulu’s end up getting today anyway stok?

At lunch around 8ft, didn't check it later but it would've been big during the arvo, I checked Bingin late and it was well overhead!

andy-mac Wednesday, 27 Jul 2022 at 08:03 am new

Years ago I think , May 2007 Outside Corner was absolutely pumping, easily 10ft plus, calling 15ft + solid at the bombie. I was out on my 7'10 feeling very under gunned. One guy paddling beside me asked what I was riding and I tell him, he replies geez think I may be undergunned on a 6'8 I think from memory. I replied good luck thinking he's nuts. It was solid pretty much as good as it gets OC. Anyway a set comes through , guessing 12ft, I'm paddling my heart out to get out the shoulder of it with the guy inside me at least 2-3 metres. Im scratching over theb shoulder wanting nothing to do with this wave where the guy inside swings around and goes. Fark I'm thinking this guy has no idea, crazy. Look at back of wave and then see huge spray off back of wave. Turns out it was Andrew Mooney.. he killed it. The two stand ous form that day in my memory were Andrew Campbell, the Tassie surfer and Dave Scard from the Sunny Coast.

harrycoopr Wednesday, 27 Jul 2022 at 08:56 am new

andy-mac wrote:

Years ago I think , May 2007 Outside Corner was absolutely pumping, easily 10ft plus, calling 15ft + solid at the bombie. I was out on my 7'10 feeling very under gunned. One guy paddling beside me asked what I was riding and I tell him, he replies geez think I may be undergunned on a 6'8 I think from memory. I replied good luck thinking he's nuts. It was solid pretty much as good as it gets OC. Anyway a set comes through , guessing 12ft, I'm paddling my heart out to get out the shoulder of it with the guy inside me at least 2-3 metres. Im scratching over theb shoulder wanting nothing to do with this wave where the guy inside swings around and goes. Fark I'm thinking this guy has no idea, crazy. Look at back of wave and then see huge spray off back of wave. Turns out it was Andrew Mooney.. he killed it. The two stand ous form that day in my memory were Andrew Campbell, the Tassie surfer and Dave Scard from the Sunny Coast.

Was that the fishing boat onto the reef at PP swell?

andy-mac Wednesday, 27 Jul 2022 at 10:09 am new

harrycoopr wrote:

andy-mac wrote:

Years ago I think , May 2007 Outside Corner was absolutely pumping, easily 10ft plus, calling 15ft + solid at the bombie. I was out on my 7'10 feeling very under gunned. One guy paddling beside me asked what I was riding and I tell him, he replies geez think I may be undergunned on a 6'8 I think from memory. I replied good luck thinking he's nuts. It was solid pretty much as good as it gets OC. Anyway a set comes through , guessing 12ft, I'm paddling my heart out to get out the shoulder of it with the guy inside me at least 2-3 metres. Im scratching over theb shoulder wanting nothing to do with this wave where the guy inside swings around and goes. Fark I'm thinking this guy has no idea, crazy. Look at back of wave and then see huge spray off back of wave. Turns out it was Andrew Mooney.. he killed it. The two stand ous form that day in my memory were Andrew Campbell, the Tassie surfer and Dave Scard from the Sunny Coast.

Was that the fishing boat onto the reef at PP swell?

I don't think so. Was before that.

stunet Wednesday, 27 Jul 2022 at 11:04 am new

Stok wrote:

goofyfoot wrote:
Stok wrote:

I've been in Bali for the last week and have been happy with my 6'1. Probably could've used a bit more volume to pick up the bigger ones at Ulus today but not worth bringing the extra board for.

I guess it also depends on what you’re chasing and what you’re happy with. If OC is 10ft and that’s what you want to surf the 6’1” probably won’t cut it.

But on the same day you could surf Kuta reef and get away with your 6’1”.

I’d rather be over gunned than under.

How big did ulu’s end up getting today anyway stok?

At lunch around 8ft, didn't check it later but it would've been big during the arvo, I checked Bingin late and it was well overhead!

Reckon that swell must've been running a bit late, GF.

Joyo's reported Launching Pad as 6 - 8, so a bit bigger up the reef.

goofyfoot Wednesday, 27 Jul 2022 at 11:19 am new

stunet wrote:

Stok wrote:
goofyfoot wrote:
Stok wrote:

I've been in Bali for the last week and have been happy with my 6'1. Probably could've used a bit more volume to pick up the bigger ones at Ulus today but not worth bringing the extra board for.

I guess it also depends on what you’re chasing and what you’re happy with. If OC is 10ft and that’s what you want to surf the 6’1” probably won’t cut it.

But on the same day you could surf Kuta reef and get away with your 6’1”.

I’d rather be over gunned than under.

How big did ulu’s end up getting today anyway stok?

At lunch around 8ft, didn't check it later but it would've been big during the arvo, I checked Bingin late and it was well overhead!

Reckon that swell must've been running a bit late, GF.

Joyo's reported Launching Pad as 6 - 8, so a bit bigger up the reef.

Yeah I reckon, looks solid today too.

udo Wednesday, 27 Jul 2022 at 05:55 pm new
Stok Wednesday, 27 Jul 2022 at 06:46 pm new

Very solid today, Ulus easy 10ft+.

Surfed Padang early before the comp and there were some crackers. But, after bragging about bringing one board....I lost my board to the cave on the incoming higher tide! Leash came off and I had to deal with the hellish swim in against the current.

Tried looking through the caves on low tide to no avail....anyone have any tips on where boards end up? Think someone may have scoured the caves before I gor there.

mickseq Wednesday, 27 Jul 2022 at 08:11 pm new

Stok wrote:

Very solid today, Ulus easy 10ft+.

Surfed Padang early before the comp and there were some crackers. But, after bragging about bringing one board....I lost my board to the cave on the incoming higher tide! Leash came off and I had to deal with the hellish swim in against the current.

Tried looking through the caves on low tide to no avail....anyone have any tips on where boards end up? Think someone may have scoured the caves before I gor there.

My guess is a local would of picked it up, otherwise how would a tourist lug it out of the country, they would need to buy a board bag and pay for excess baggage etc. If it was me I would join the local Bukit / Bali surfing facebook pages and post for help and offer a reward. Hope you find it.

AlfredWallace Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 10:37 am new

soggydog wrote:

I’ve got some tricks for board bags using adhesive concrete expansion gap foam. Took 4 boards to G land last time I went with no issues. Plus I’m going solo and spending the 14 days in one spot. I’ll have to drag them as far as the airport Novotel going to and from. Range 6’1” to 7’2”.

Soggydog. please share your adhesive expansion foam tricks for board bags. I’m curious. Thanks

soggydog Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 11:37 am new

Hey Alfred. On a coffin bag I line the edges with the expansion foam. If your bag is new the adhesive will stick quite easily. If not a bit of isopropyl alcohol will clean them up. The foam is about 100mm high and 10 mm thick. It fits in there perfectly. This effectively makes the padding on the rails 20mm thick all the way round. I then cut an extra piece for the nose and tail and stick it to the new foam. Nose and tail are now 30mm. Then I’ve stuck pieces to the base and the lid on the nose and tail area’s cutting them to shape making the bag thicknesses 20mm each end also. It’s pretty light stuff and shouldn’t increase the bags weight by much but provides a lot of protection for your boards. If your board bag comes with a divider piece I usually place that in the bottom of the bag and use board socks or towels, board shorts or whatever else I’m can between the boards I’ve even made dividers out of bubble wrap then taped the edges for a bit of durability before. So far I’ve never had a problem with damaged boards.
Hope this helps.

I had the foam leftover from a job. It only comes in a roll. So if you’re mates with a builder or Concreter see what you scrounge.

Good luck finding your board stok.

blackers Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 12:16 pm new
soggydog Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 12:36 pm new

blackers wrote:

This stuff soggy?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ormonoid-abelflex-10-x-100mm-x-25m-self-adh…

That’s the gear blackers

udo Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 12:46 pm new

Split Pool Noodles do a good job ..fully wrap the Rail nose to tail and tape on.

Join the conversation Sign up for free OR Login