I love Bali

soggydog Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 12:48 pm new

.

groundswell Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 01:01 pm new

.

Supafreak Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 06:06 am new
seaslug Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 01:52 pm new

Yes Udo, that's what I use

donweather Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 03:37 pm new

Anyone who's been to Bali recently do you still have to get your phone unlocked upon arrival at the airport?

donweather Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 04:53 pm new

Also for anyone currently over in Bali, what's the water temp like? Have been stung before with cold water upwelling around this time of year.

donweather Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 04:56 pm new

Stok wrote:

Very solid today, Ulus easy 10ft+.

Surfed Padang early before the comp and there were some crackers. But, after bragging about bringing one board....I lost my board to the cave on the incoming higher tide! Leash came off and I had to deal with the hellish swim in against the current.

Tried looking through the caves on low tide to no avail....anyone have any tips on where boards end up? Think someone may have scoured the caves before I gor there.

Yep usually a local kid will see it down by the rocks and jump in and snaffle it. They'll then usually run up to you once you're out of the water and "sell" your board back to you.

groundswell Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 05:43 pm new

Goofyfoot should come online sometime within the next day or so if he visits an internet cafe or g-land internet wherever he is and answer your questions Don.Probably only visits an internet cafe once a day for 5 minutes.

goofyfoot Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 06:40 pm new

groundswell wrote:

Goofyfoot should come online sometime within the next day or so if he visits an internet cafe or g-land internet wherever he is and answer your questions Don.Probably only visits an internet cafe once a day for 5 minutes.

Hahah I’m leaving tomorrow groundy. Not there yet

udo Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 07:09 pm new

Padang Cup Competitor :-]

Stok Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 08:26 pm new

@donweather

I just used roaming on my phone, didn't have to do anything unusual.

As for water temps....a bit cooler maybe, possibly lower 20's. Some crew in springys or vests. Plenty of crew in just boardies though.

And no luck with finding my board....hopefully some local got it and rips with it. Rather that than sending a lump of fibreglass off into the Strait.

sypkan Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 11:09 pm new

just get a tourist sim, much cheaper and easier than unlocking your phone

they last for a month or three apparently

Supafreak Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 10:24 am new

@goofyfoot , geez mate , looks like you’ve timed your run perfectly going by the tides and swell that’s on its way , gonna get big , woohoo

udo Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 10:32 am new

Shiy yeh..gonna need that D.S. Goofy
Hows this for effort /Fitness

udo Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 10:44 am new

And done with a GoPro in the Gob

goofyfoot Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 10:46 am new

Nathan F is a freak. He’d have to be one of the most tubed people on earth.

Shit yeah supa I’m pretty pumped and also a bit nervous ha ha , couple of solid days in there

udo Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 10:50 am new

Do yourself a Favour ~ ~ Buy a brand new BW legrope..

juegasiempre Sunday, 31 Jul 2022 at 01:26 pm new

I'm wrapping up my 2 month stint where I started, at dirty Legian and here's my observation.

It's about 3 times more busy out of the water and maybe twice as busy in the water since early June. So many Aussies! New shops opened, old shops full where they were empty before.

If you're waiting for them to drop the vaccine mandate, you'll be waiting a while I reckon because the people keep coming. That said, you can take solace in that the vaccine, nor the mandate is working because COVID is rife here at the moment IMO.

Big swell on the way too! Biggest since I've been here so it will be interesting to see how it unfolds. Good luck to all charging it!

indo-dreaming Sunday, 31 Jul 2022 at 02:14 pm new

juegasiempre wrote:

I'm wrapping up my 2 month stint where I started, at dirty Legian and here's my observation.

It's about 3 times more busy out of the water and maybe twice as busy in the water since early June. So many Aussies! New shops opened, old shops full where they were empty before.

If you're waiting for them to drop the vaccine mandate, you'll be waiting a while I reckon because the people keep coming. That said, you can take solace in that the vaccine, nor the mandate is working because COVID is rife here at the moment IMO.

Big swell on the way too! Biggest since I've been here so it will be interesting to see how it unfolds. Good luck to all charging it!

Same observation, was in Bali last week again and was surprised how much more tourist were around than just six weeks earlier and not just old people.

I did go for a good walk from Legian to Kuta though and some areas were still dead and lots of places still shut, and an area i use to hang when young off Poppies two, Warung 96 area was totally dead and looked like a bomb had hit the area, but it had been so long since id been in that area that maybe its just not a lively/cool area anymore.

indo-dreaming Sunday, 31 Jul 2022 at 02:37 pm new

Eating wise I recommend this place not far from Kuta, proper quality Indo food as not really aimed at tourist, these style places are popular around Indo, pavilions over big ponds that are full of Koi i mean full.

Check out menu for good pics and gallery for setup

https://baleudang.com/home/

andy-mac Tuesday, 2 Aug 2022 at 11:51 am new

Quick question re tourist visa bali. Has anyone recently extended there 30 VOA day visa in Bali ? Was it easy process, use agent? Or easy just to fly to Singas for a day ?
Has anyone know if you can get ,60 day tourist visa if you apply before flying? How long did it take, I am in Qld so cannot just rock up at Indo embassy. Going for 6 weeks in early September. Any current info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Supafreak Tuesday, 2 Aug 2022 at 12:59 pm new

@andy-mac , I renewed visa in june and used an agent, cost me 900,000 rp . I still had to go to immigration for fingerprints and photo , this took a few hours. Depending which area you are in dictates the immigration office you go to . I was in lembongan so went to Denpasar, if you’re in kuta or the Bukit you go to jimbaran . I’ve had friends do it themselves to save 400,000 rp and they ended up going back 3 times . Not saying this happens to everyone just beware it may happen . My agent told me to be at immigration at 1.00pm when they reopen after lunch , I got there at 12.30 and thought great I’m second in-line but crew had tickets from earlier in the day and went ahead of me . Waited 2 hours for my turn, in the past when I’ve paid agents , there’s been no waiting, just straight in and out . My agent gave me my passport 4 days after immigration visit so you will have to go at least twice if everything goes smoothly. Last time I checked the embassy in Sydney still wasn’t issuing 60 day visas. Hopefully this changes as it saves a lot of fucking around . Have a great holiday , it always pumps first week of September.

andy-mac Tuesday, 2 Aug 2022 at 01:00 pm new

Supafreak wrote:

@andy-mac , I renewed visa in june and used an agent, cost me 900,000 rp . I still had to go to immigration for fingerprints and photo , this took a few hours. Depending which area you are in dictates the immigration office you go to . I was in lembongan so went to Denpasar, if you’re in kuta or the Bukit you go to jimbaran . I’ve had friends do it themselves to save 400,000 rp and they ended up going back 3 times . Not saying this happens to everyone just beware it may happen . My agent told me to be at immigration at 1.00pm when they reopen after lunch , I got there at 12.30 and thought great I’m second in-line but crew had tickets from earlier in the day and went ahead of me . Waited 2 hours for my turn, in the past when I’ve paid agents , there’s been no waiting, just straight in and out . My agent gave me my passport 4 days after immigration visit so you will have to go at least twice if everything goes smoothly. Last time I checked the embassy in Sydney still wasn’t issuing 60 day visas. Hopefully this changes as it saves a lot of fucking around .

Thanks Supa for your time with that reply.
Yep that was what I was thinking, just great to be confirmed. Will use an agent for sure as always have in the past. First time back since 2019 so starting to get a froth on. Heard it's gotten pretty busy, but hopefully late season does it's thing with swells and light winds....
Again thanks for info!

indo-dreaming Tuesday, 2 Aug 2022 at 05:20 pm new

andy-mac wrote:

Quick question re tourist visa bali. Has anyone recently extended there 30 VOA day visa in Bali ? Was it easy process, use agent? Or easy just to fly to Singas for a day ?

Has anyone know if you can get ,60 day tourist visa if you apply before flying? How long did it take, I am in Qld so cannot just rock up at Indo embassy. Going for 6 weeks in early September. Any current info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

You can get a 60 day tourist visa before going, but its not the social visa anymore its the B211A tourist Visa, and you have to go through an agent and its not cheap, most of its done online now, you cant actually go to Indo embassy in Aus now and do it, rumour is they will most likely stick to current system and not go back to issuing social visas etc through Indo embassies.

I used these guys the other month, probably easier and cheaper to just extended a 30 day VOA, but i was in a fairly remote area far from an agent or immigration so easier just to get the 60 day tourist visa and not have to worry about fking around.

https://bali.com/visit-bali-during-covid-offshore-e-visa/?fbclid=IwAR17…

Supafreak Tuesday, 2 Aug 2022 at 05:34 pm new

Jeezus indo that’s a bit steep , $450 ! When you compare with how it was $70 when the embassy in oz was issuing tourist visa before covid hit .

andy-mac Tuesday, 2 Aug 2022 at 06:02 pm new

indo-dreaming wrote:

andy-mac wrote:

Quick question re tourist visa bali. Has anyone recently extended there 30 VOA day visa in Bali ? Was it easy process, use agent? Or easy just to fly to Singas for a day ?

Has anyone know if you can get ,60 day tourist visa if you apply before flying? How long did it take, I am in Qld so cannot just rock up at Indo embassy. Going for 6 weeks in early September. Any current info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

You can get a 60 day tourist visa before going, but its not the social visa anymore its the B211A tourist Visa, and you have to go through an agent and its not cheap, most of its done online now, you cant actually go to Indo embassy in Aus now and do it, rumour is they will most likely stick to current system and not go back to issuing social visas etc through Indo embassies.

I used these guys the other month, probably easier and cheaper to just extended a 30 day VOA, but i was in a fairly remote area far from an agent or immigration so easier just to get the 60 day tourist visa and not have to worry about fking around.

https://bali.com/visit-bali-during-covid-offshore-e-visa/?fbclid=IwAR17…

Cheers Indo, thanks for info. Was on immigrasi site today and it read like they were issuing 60 day tourist visas. Was thinking would try and get tourist visa before going but looks a bit too hard, and don't want to send my passport to Sydney, no embassy anymore in Qld. One time I was back in Oz when living in Indo and thought do normal business visa stuff via Sydney what I normally did in Singapore. Had plenty of time as was back for month and they said 2 week turnaround. Sent registered mail with return envelope etc. Anyway after 3 weeks starting to wonder where it is, call em they cannot find it. Meant to be flying back to Indo in a few days time, they tell me they found it as it had fallen off desk. Had to fly to Sydney in morning to pick up and back in same day. Least embassy in Maroubra close to airport. Flew indo next day.
Anyway too much info, will be mainly in Bali so no drama getting sorted there. Thanks again!
Must have been great to get back there ey. :)

juegasiempre Tuesday, 2 Aug 2022 at 10:19 pm new

My voa extension was done through an agent. Similar experience to Supa but only cost 800k. I think it's like 500k and the agent charges 300k. Well worth it and I'm a tight arse. They drop off the passports to your hotel as well. I did mine in Jimbaran as I was staying at Padang Padang.

Looked into the b211a visa as well cause I was planning on coming back for 6 months and it breaks down like this. Apply outside the country, takes 14 business days, costs 3.2 million for the first 2 months. Can extend it two more times, each time costs 2.7 million. Gotta go to the immigration for photo and fingerprints each time. Why they can't use the photo and fingerprints they take on arrival and save the fucking around, only Vishnu knows.

Would've worked out to be $2580 for the visa for me, the missus and a toddler which was one of, but not at all the only, reason I'm not coming back. I messaged a few and that was the cheapest as well, some charge more.

They've increased the fees a couple of times recently apparently. That's what they told me when I told them that was crazy expensive for a 6 month visa. In Mexico and Peru, 6 months is free!
Wouldn't mind if the money was going towards helping the people but somehow I don't think it is.

Supafreak Wednesday, 3 Aug 2022 at 08:21 am new

@andy-mac , just a reminder mate , you need to see an agent about 10 business days before your visa expiry date , might be worth checking on any holidays around that time . Enjoy your holiday, first week of September always pumps .

andy-mac Wednesday, 3 Aug 2022 at 08:56 am new

juegasiempre wrote:

My voa extension was done through an agent. Similar experience to Supa but only cost 800k. I think it's like 500k and the agent charges 300k. Well worth it and I'm a tight arse. They drop off the passports to your hotel as well. I did mine in Jimbaran as I was staying at Padang Padang.

Looked into the b211a visa as well cause I was planning on coming back for 6 months and it breaks down like this. Apply outside the country, takes 14 business days, costs 3.2 million for the first 2 months. Can extend it two more times, each time costs 2.7 million. Gotta go to the immigration for photo and fingerprints each time. Why they can't use the photo and fingerprints they take on arrival and save the fucking around, only Vishnu knows.

Would've worked out to be $2580 for the visa for me, the missus and a toddler which was one of, but not at all the only, reason I'm not coming back. I messaged a few and that was the cheapest as well, some charge more.

They've increased the fees a couple of times recently apparently. That's what they told me when I told them that was crazy expensive for a 6 month visa. In Mexico and Peru, 6 months is free!

Wouldn't mind if the money was going towards helping the people but somehow I don't think it is.

Cheers mate for that.
Yeah it use to do my head in when living up there last couple of years on bus and social visa having to get fingerprinted every time .. keeps immigrasi in jobs I guess.
Will definitely use agent and get it sorted in first few weeks there as will be staying near Denpasar.
If planning on going back for six months check single entry business visa, it worked out a lot cheaper than figures you mentioned but may have changed.
Cheers for info

andy-mac Wednesday, 3 Aug 2022 at 08:59 am new

Supafreak wrote:

@andy-mac , just a reminder mate , you need to see an agent about 10 business days before your visa expiry date , might be worth checking on any holidays around that time . Enjoy your holiday, first week of September always pumps .

Cheers Supa. Yep September sessions...
My favourite month in Indo!
Will check for hols and get it sorted. cheers.

udo Saturday, 6 Aug 2022 at 11:56 am new
udo Tuesday, 9 Aug 2022 at 03:46 pm new
burleigh Tuesday, 9 Aug 2022 at 03:53 pm new

udo wrote:

Oh Pauline................

https://thebalisun.com/tourism-minister-denies-bali-streets-are-covered…

Haha they are covered in hipsters and crypto gurus these days….

amb Tuesday, 9 Aug 2022 at 04:45 pm new

Hate to defend Pauline, but i was there last week and there were cows walking down the street, always look where you walk in Bali.

burleigh Tuesday, 9 Aug 2022 at 04:54 pm new

amb wrote:

Hate to defend Pauline, but i was there last week and there were cows walking down the street, always look where you walk in Bali.

Were they Russian? Or The classic Aussie bogan?

amb Wednesday, 10 Aug 2022 at 09:34 am new

Bos javanicus domesticus

Stok Wednesday, 10 Aug 2022 at 09:43 am new

Kind of feel the Aussie bogan has moved on from Bali....they feel like they're too good for it now (or the touristy restaurants and cafes are now not too much less than what you'd pay in Aus). Watch them begin to flock to other destinations over the coming years.

Euro and Russians make up 80% of the tourist/expat population it seems.

amb Wednesday, 10 Aug 2022 at 11:53 am new

@Stok...agree

Still plenty of Brazzo's as well.

donweather Saturday, 13 Aug 2022 at 12:46 pm new

There are and always will be plenty of Aussie bogans flocking to Kuta Legian and Seminyak. It’s still way to cheap to have all you can eat and intravenous bintangs from the moment you wake to the moment you collapse. They like to feel cashed up and important in front of the Balinese. I hate to refer to myself as Aussie when these sorts are around.

indo-dreaming Saturday, 13 Aug 2022 at 01:12 pm new

Still a shit load of bogan type Aussies in Bali when i was there not long ago.

Yeah sure there is some fkwitt bogans, but a lot of people that could be classed as bogans in Bali are quite nice people once you get to know them or have a chat.

Lots of older retired couples, that are a bit rough around the edges, bit overweight, bad tattoos, still buy the bintang singlets and have a daily routine of siting by the pool until lunch then eating and drinking in the local bar/warung with a view of the street through the arvo into the night.

Supafreak Saturday, 13 Aug 2022 at 01:35 pm new

Have to agree indo , the Aussie bogan can be very generous towards those less fortunate and many warungs and beach bum bars do well from them . You don’t really see them hanging out with all the beautiful people at ku de ta and paying $15. - $30 a cocktail. I do cringe at some of the antics of some when on the pub crawl tours though . I think your average local would take a Aussie bogan over a Russian cnt any day.

DudeSweetDudeSweet Saturday, 13 Aug 2022 at 01:46 pm new

indo-dreaming wrote:

Still a shit load of bogan type Aussies in Bali when i was there not long ago.

Yeah sure there is some fkwitt bogans, but a lot of people that could be classed as bogans in Bali are quite nice people once you get to know them or have a chat.

Lots of older retired couples, that are a bit rough around the edges, bit overweight, bad tattoos, still buy the bintang singlets and have a daily routine of siting by the pool until lunch then eating and drinking in the local bar/warung with a view of the street through the arvo into the night.

Nah, you’re supposed to hate them because they aren’t cashed up from snapping up savvy real estate investments and instead want maximum bang for their hard earned buck. Don’t you know that working class punters are to be despised because they choose to drink beers on their ten days overseas every second year?

Better they should be swanning around Canggu filming themselves living their best life then posting it to YouTube for other aspirational lifestyle entrepreneurs whose only skill is pointing a GoPro at themselves.

Hey Don…..when did you wake up to realise you were a classist yuppie bloke?

Here’s a reminder of the days when Australians thought yuppies were the scum…..before Tweed coast nobodies started assuming they were La di da superstars looking down at the uncultured ugly plebs who drank the wrong beer at the wrong time on their holidays.

donweather Saturday, 13 Aug 2022 at 03:12 pm new

DudeSweetDudeSweet wrote:

indo-dreaming wrote:

Still a shit load of bogan type Aussies in Bali when i was there not long ago.

Yeah sure there is some fkwitt bogans, but a lot of people that could be classed as bogans in Bali are quite nice people once you get to know them or have a chat.

Lots of older retired couples, that are a bit rough around the edges, bit overweight, bad tattoos, still buy the bintang singlets and have a daily routine of siting by the pool until lunch then eating and drinking in the local bar/warung with a view of the street through the arvo into the night.

Nah, you’re supposed to hate them because they aren’t cashed up from snapping up savvy real estate investments and instead want maximum bang for their hard earned buck. Don’t you know that working class punters are to be despised because they choose to drink beers on their ten days overseas every second year?

Better they should be swanning around Canggu filming themselves living their best life then posting it to YouTube for other aspirational lifestyle entrepreneurs whose only skill is pointing a GoPro at themselves.

Hey Don…..when did you wake up to realise you were a classist yuppie bloke?

Here’s a reminder of the days when Australians thought yuppies were the scum…..before Tweed coast nobodies started assuming they were La di da superstars looking down at the uncultured ugly plebs who drank the wrong beer at the wrong time on their holidays.

Not a classist yuppie. I just don’t like it when people come here to Bali and indo and disrespect the people, their culture and their way of life. I’ve seen it first had in bars, restaurants, hotels. Everywhere here. I’ve been in a restaurant where’s there’s a table or shirtless pissed bogans yelling and swearing at the top of their voice and expecting the waiting staff to wait on them like they are their own personal servant.

If the Indonesians culture wasn’t such a beautiful one those same Aussie drunken bogans would be kicked out on the street.

Ask yourself this. Would they get away with that same behaviour in a restaurant in Australia? No they wouldn’t so why the Fck do they believe it’s acceptable behaviour in another persons country?

DudeSweetDudeSweet Saturday, 13 Aug 2022 at 03:51 pm new

I’ll accept that but that’s only a fraction of the story isn’t it? Particularly when you consider that Australians have shared a symbiotic and mostly mutually beneficial relationship with the Balinese over a five decade span. Majority of that time the shirtless and pissed Aussie was de rigueur and loved by the Bali locals.

Why no judgement of the Chinese who’ve bought half of Bali within a few years of discovering the joint and who neither acknowledge or appreciate the locals as they spit on the floors and turf their durry butts on the beaches? No mention of the aspirational yuppie Euros, Seppoes and Aussies who have turned Bali into an unaffordable nightmare of overpriced conspicuous consumerism which has priced out the locals? The pisshead Aussies were happy to sit in beachside warungs which provided money for locals without destroying their towns….unlike the fake-rich yuppie cnts who think they’re Kanye and Kim Kardashian on their Balinese Insta promo tour and need luxe accomodation and backdrop for every wank-stained appearance they curate to social media.

Who gives a fuck about how much piss sinking, pill popping and cocaine snorting goes down at the upmarket yuppie establishments as long as the punters aren’t overweight and ugly like the bogans heh! They can all vomit in the street and fight each other as long as the Insta posts have a shot of them posing at a Borobudur sunset. Cause they’re in touch with their spiritual side…

BTW….The Balinese aren’t all mysticism and light mate. They went nuts with the wholesale slaughter of each other in the not too distant past and they will gladly still dispense a bit of frontier justice as they see fit. It’s their island home and if they are happy to endure some drunk Aussies then you should just shut your lips and accept it too. They will leave you in no doubt as to when you’ve exceeded their tolerance, so perhaps leave your own delicate opinions aside when you appoint what’s good for the Balinese in their own home. They aren’t fragile victims in their country. Step out of line properly and you’ll wake up hurt. Not like Australia where a Brazzo on a jet ski is calling Aussies off waves at Kirra.

dandandan Saturday, 13 Aug 2022 at 04:16 pm new

Just popping in to be a third voice of support for the quiet bogans of Bali, sitting there with a vacant stare for hours on end watching the world go by. Some of the most interesting conversations I've had en route to Indonesia has been with those types, telling me about the families that have looked after them over the decades and showing me the little presents they're bringing over for them. Hearts of gold, even if their Indonesian is truly abhorrent. I'll take them over any of the surf-entrepreneurs, drop shippers, and semi-pros of the Bukit any day.

*Very different to the kinds you find pissing on canang, berating locals, and brawling in the streets.

I focus Saturday, 13 Aug 2022 at 06:38 pm new

dandandan wrote:

Just popping in to be a third voice of support for the quiet bogans of Bali, sitting there with a vacant stare for hours on end watching the world go by. Some of the most interesting conversations I've had en route to Indonesia has been with those types, telling me about the families that have looked after them over the decades and showing me the little presents they're bringing over for them. Hearts of gold, even if their Indonesian is truly abhorrent. I'll take them over any of the surf-entrepreneurs, drop shippers, and semi-pros of the Bukit any day.

*Very different to the kinds you find pissing on canang, berating locals, and brawling in the streets.

+4

donweather Saturday, 13 Aug 2022 at 07:12 pm new

Ok fair points. I stand corrected. Nothing to see here. Move on then. ;)

And BTW it’s not the Chinese here the Indos are worried about it’s the Russians who are coming in hard and fast and buying up everything.

goofyfoot Saturday, 13 Aug 2022 at 08:57 pm new

Just got back and by far the rudest tourist I saw was a Brazilian dude kicking up a huge fuss that he paid for deluxe accom at G-land when standard accom was very similar except the rooms were a bit smaller.
Storming around like a spoilt little toddler.
Had to laugh later when he told me he lives at Kirra now. I could just imagine him.

blackers Sunday, 14 Aug 2022 at 09:03 am new

How was it GF?

indo-dreaming Sunday, 14 Aug 2022 at 10:14 am new

dandandan wrote:

Just popping in to be a third voice of support for the quiet bogans of Bali, sitting there with a vacant stare for hours on end watching the world go by. Some of the most interesting conversations I've had en route to Indonesia has been with those types, telling me about the families that have looked after them over the decades and showing me the little presents they're bringing over for them. Hearts of gold, even if their Indonesian is truly abhorrent. I'll take them over any of the surf-entrepreneurs, drop shippers, and semi-pros of the Bukit any day.

*Very different to the kinds you find pissing on canang, berating locals, and brawling in the streets.

100% agree

Join the conversation Sign up for free OR Login