More from Wax On
notadmin
said:
Predator on a mission. https://www.instagram.com/p/DM078olTQ4T/?igsh=MXRobDY0aml1amtuYQ==
Test Format
2
Rochko B
said:
I have one in those dimensions; it's my favourite board. Instant connection and super carvy.
~ Spotted ~ Gumtree ~ Ebay ~ Facey ~
1395
truebluebasher
said:
Dedicated to Craig's Miraculous Boardswaps & Leggie Swaps
( Lost'n'Found Forward )
Distant memory Guns that resurfa
Miraculous board retrieval stories
11
Bnkref
said:
Romy has had some absolute gems the past few months. Today’s is exceptional.
I heart WOTD
4674
velocityjohnno
said:
https://www.surfer.com/news/orcas-attack-great-white-sharks-eat-liver-video
Shark Stories
1552
There's plenty of people to blame. Businesses like Drifter, Singlefin, all the new age Bingin boho stuff. All of them are doing everything they can to bring more people in so they can keep making money. They're all pushing ads, opening new businessesm trying to attract new clientele from Ubud and other yoga hotspots. Surfers of Bali made it clear to millions that you can surf these spots without being very good at it. All the creature comforts like lattes and smashed avocado and wifi followed. It's a thoroughly predictable model that happens everywhere. It's nothing short of a miracle that the Bukit was a bit of a surfing backwater for as long as it was. The last three years changed it forever.
I can see lembongan becoming the new seminyak as far as restaurants go and eventually big hotel chains moving in . The amount of new restaurants that have popped up since last year is amazing . Plenty of European people investing in the place and some really nice but expensive food available . Went to a steak and pizzeria the other night, Australian Angus steak was $60 for 500g , T- bone $75 for 750g , tomohawk steak $150 for 1.5 kg and sirloin $40 for 350 g , came with mash potato and grilled tomato. Went the sirloin as they had sold out of the Angus. Very nice quality meat and some people shared a tomahawk . A wide variety of restaurants now , gone are the days of tuna on a stick and kerosene flavoured jaffles . The surf schools which are many must be averaging about 60 people a day , 98% European.
As far as i heard and might sound a little anti Russian racist, but i heard Russians are taking over Bali these days and many no clue about surf etiquette.
not sure how true that is but doesn't seem like they are heading to outer islands, not even lombok.
Not sure if anyone remembers me talking about a guy named Jaya B, but he swears he was surfing Karamas by himself in the early 90's all the time..He said he may have even been the first to surf it but isn't sure..He had it to himself all the time, but now the place is flooded (many Russians) every time there's a 2 foot plus wave there.
Is Jaya B french nationality ?
Hawaiian with Balinese wife, living at the moment on big island hawaii but did live in bali for many years..Also knows thousands of people so you probably know him, has about 2-3 kids from memory but wont go to Bali these days unless is hired to build a resort pool or skate park which is his skillset.
https://www.facebook.com/jaya.brandall/friends_mutual
Feel sorry for the bloke actually, paid for a house on big island and then almost lost it with lava runoff on a volcanic eruption, but house was saved but all the surf spots even a good beachy has dissapeared with no new surf spots created..bored as hell he says.
Had a mate surfing Lacerations the last week or two, said the local guides were blocking him on waves and pushing in beginners from the shoulder, where we was trying to tuck under and into the barrel. Had one guide even kick at him. Seems like it's done.
Plenty of better waves in Indonesia, it’s extremely fickle some years and other years can be consistent throughout a particular month . When it’s on its dominated by locals that absolutely rip . I was fortunate to start surfing here as a young 18 yo back in 1980 . Had plenty of sessions over the years by myself or a few others. I still enjoy the island because of long term relationships but I agree with your summary that ‘ its done ‘ . The wreck during that big swell only had 3 guys out playing cat & mouse . I’ve had some good sessions so far at wreck but I wait for the sets and line up for my turn. In closer is a shit fight and so many just get in the way and shouldn’t be out there looking like a deer caught in the headlights. School holidays start Friday but already queensland families arriving and swells tiny now until possibly quick swell on the 26th . Yesterday wreck had 3 shoulder high sets on the pulse and 40 people out , kids , beginners and local kids . Cennigan’s head high today on sets . C grade wave for indo .
Jaya, an American guy, skater punk rocker used to hang at Twice tape shop. Married a Balinese lady.
Sorry just realised you'd posted,
Yep andy Mac, you met him and know him? friendly and very funny bloke and used to rip as well as charge but getting older not surfing as much these days with no surf spots near his house..would like to show a few of his photos of him in way bigger supersuck pits than 6 foot..maybe 8foot? i dont know just about as big as supersuck gets and handles before 10-12 footers closeout the whole bay.
(saw that once and boat charters only just made it over one set..)
Wouldn't say I know him but did cross paths a couple of times ..
Miss 90's early 00's Bali... It was so good....
Another fun old haunt from the 80s .
Haha used to be a nice little mission to go there through the rice fields, now gridlock!
nice photo SF i had to enlarge photo to read chahng gooey warung haha
heres a few photos of the most fun shit wave in Sumbawa(on a day as good as it gets) but if sw -west winds is still fun as in mid to light onshores..I call it canggu on online facey etc.
Dont know why its ok in onshores, possibly because onshores make such a slow walled slow peeler wrap in on itself and bowl more..Well slow paced compared to supersuck and desert point that is.
Back when this was taken no locals surfed supersuck all the local groms only surfed here, Sumbawas canggu(playgrounds), or odd day at tropicals or yoyos.




also may as well post a photo of Jaya at somewhere between 6 and 8 foot supersuck..Just because its a sick shot and Jaya is a top bloke who has balls.
i think we became friends at first as i was always shaving my head bald at the barbers and he liked "romper stomper" the movie haha.
Ex fiance shot too,on left. i regret breaking up with her, but my income couldn't support her visa costs or even wedding and relationship visa agents told me minimum i need in bank is $20 000 aud to show i can support her for 12 months. even if i found her work, which i did ..$5000 going just on relationship or marriage visa-rip off!
Another minor problem is im an agnostic sort of dont beileve we should be told by other people (priests or high up popes etc )who god is or whatever and i had to become a Muslim to marry her in her parents eyes. Which now i would do to marry her.
She was a real catch..Only thing we did was kiss each other in the neck which to her was breaking rules but she said she felt like she was flying..i still think my life would have been better if we went through with marriage.
One other issue is a lot of Islamic Indonesian women get cut as babies/toddlers so don't have certain parts so women can not enjoy sex...Cruel and unnecessary practice in my eyes.
I can not appreciate thinking of some old pedo male or female "Imam" touching my girl as a baby and cutting her bits. barbaric!
Men who rape i can understand getting knob chopped but not harmless female children.
Yep they were the days alrighty
I was on an island in northern Indonesia for a mate’s 50th last month that we were saying must’ve been how Bali was in the 80’s. Only went to Bali for the first time in 2001. This island was friendly, uncrowded/empty away from the popular spots, 2-6ft for a week, with great food & decent scenery. Getting off a plane & going straight to packed 3ft Ulu is the antithesis of surfing for me in 2023.
GPS coordinates please
This doggie got speared of penida today
Whoa! What would that weigh?
Is he selling his catch and if so how much would he get for it?
Aint that the truth, i love Bali one of the most amazing places in the world, people, culture, scenery, and in a sense the best variety of waves in one area in Indo, and im jealous i didn't experience it before the late 90s
But yeah it does my head in how people can go to Indo to surf the Bukit, but im thankful that many dont venture further, so many amazing areas still out there, there is even areas still pretty much free from commercial surf tourism where you can surf alone pretty much everyday.
Yep Indo, it's a huge expansive archipelago, you just have to be a little savvy.
Supafreak. Hi. Do you remember the old warung at Canggu,‘Chew & Spew’. We rocked up and the friendly Indo guy said surfing near the mouth of that creek will give you a sore throat and an ear infection, we didn’t heed the advice. Next day, one of us had a sore throat and one an ear infection, I escaped any ailment. Somewhere I’ve got a photo of that warung . How Bali has changed since the 80’s is beyond belief.
I hope you are getting waves and enjoying your surf holiday. All the best. AW
@Alfred Wallace , if you in large the photo you will see it written on the sign chew & spew . I got the photo from a fella called Rob H a gold coaster that Ive bumped into over the years . Their menu was a classic and at the bottom was written ‘ thank you for your coming ‘
@seeds , I’m guessing that fish weighs 50-60 kg , before covid you could buy dogtooth tuna for $3 a kg at fish markets . No idea what it costs now.
It's interesting, I've got a family trip to Bali in next few weeks, taking wife and kids there. Can't wait but just for the relaxation by the pool with them all and warm weather. I'll bring a board but overall not really that fussed about surfing. Helps I've had a heap of quality recently back home, but the thought of the volume & type of crowd I'll be copping, just doesn't get me amped for it.
Edited post , see below
Great shots.
I went & picked up my daughter yesterday from the wife’s village. Took the fast boat experience to save some time as long journey ahead and to and to give her a fun ride. We were doing 40knots in morning and 35 in afternoon. It’s pretty flat at the moment besides small waves at Cennigan’s .





@seeds , I just got confirmation that it was 80kg & it was a tourist that speared it .
I honestly think I have a lot more fun in Bali when I am not thinking about surfing. It's problematic and simplified, but it used to be that you could have the best of both worlds, and be surfing world class waves and then come back ashore to a thoroughly Balinese world. Now basically all the reliably good surf spots are this meaningless surf tourism cosmopolitanism where you could be basically anywhere on earth that caters to rich 40 year old white dudes.
Last year after persistent shitty weather on the Bukit, which I still think of as one of the most beautiful arenas to surf in imaginable (helps that I can't see more than 15m without my glasses on in the surf), I ditched the idea of surfing and just hung out elsewhere and it was still completely magic.
80kgs! that’s a big fish. Hopefully it fed a lot of people
Some the best days on my recent trip were hanging out in Amed. Not concerned about surf at all and thoroughly relaxed in a laidback area. Snorkeling in the morning. Arvo siesta then Bintangs to finish the day with the sunset near Agung. Even had a Tuak sesh one evening with locals.
@seeds , love amed , relaxed old bali feel about the place . I’ve seen knee high lefts , perfect peelers running along the various headlands . Nice snorkeling straight of the beach .
Supafreak. Hi, thanks for the snap, ive got an old photo i will try and dig up, Chew & Spew was written/painted on the wall above the warung entrance, different to the sign you just eluded to me. Glad the name hadn’t changed.
Your daughter is beautiful, looks happy and content with life. How good it must be to hang out with her and the immediate family. Nicest people in the world.
Always happy, happy with what they’ve got and never unhappy with the things they don’t have, a good metaphor that could be applied to our rat race of a society. More power to you Supafreak, enjoy.
I’ve never been thanked for my ‘coming’.AW.
Looking through an old album and remembered IB posting bingin warung photos, this is around the same period 87-90 . Best board carriers in Bali I reckon, the road was a shocker. I’ve got 4 of the old bali style albums full of surfing photos that I can’t find , hope a tourist hasn’t knocked them off .




Great pics!
Not a influencer in sight ..
This is anchored out the back of muntigs at the moment. Weekly charter 280,000 euros a week plus expenses . https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/luxury-charter-yacht-25096/galileo-g…
Just read Lances Right area now having Ibiza Feeling....Faark .
Great to see those old pics Supa
What are the requirements to live permanently in Bali or Indo in general? Property/land purchase? Building a place? Ongoing costs etc?
I saw on Insta tai Graham the man behind single fin and the lawn was enjoying himself on that boat yesterday.
It’s just leaving now , been anchored for about 3-4 days , currently battling the current off blue corner which runs at between 7-9 knots.
Used to be easy depending on your plans.
Just a 6 month single entry business visa through agent does the job if you want to live in Bali, cannot work. Just need to fly out every 6 months and renew, people do this year upon year. If setting up business in Bali organise a KITAS, again agents can do this for you but more expensive.
There is also social/budaya visa which is similar to how single entry business visa works.
If over 55 I think you are eligible for retirement visa, just need proof of funds etc.
Anyway this info might be out of date, but there are visa agents in Bali that can sort it for you. Pay to stay basically.
Cannot buy land freehold legally, but there are many long term contracts. I've had a couple of villas in Bali built and sold that were lease hold. Never had issue except with actual building of place. Freehold needs to be Indonesian citizens. They do have a nominee system in Bali which as far as I understand is illegal where a foreigner buys freehold with Indonesian name, as nominee. The Indo citizen cannot control property though as another contract has them in debt to foreigner and needs their signature. Anyway something like that, but Indo law is you must be citizen to own land.
Wish Australia did the same ey.
@seeds , there are lots of rules and requirements around retirement visa all which can be navigated around. Money basically gets you what you want . Don’t think the 5 year digital nomad visa has come in yet but I could be wrong . You can do it without an agent but if you make any application mistakes , then you forfeit your upfront payment . I’ve had a family kitas before being married to a local and multiple entry through an agent was $800 per year . It’s wording is confusing as I’m not supposed to work on it but can if I need to support family . Nothings black & white .
Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. Doesn’t sound too bad. Stayed recently near Impossibles and sussed the old lady with the warung was sitting pretty with the Portuguese owned boho wankfest we stayed in was on her land. Always bought our beer off her. No one else did. I think I want to retire somewhere in SE Asia.
Actually andy-mac, what were the issues building? Tradies or bureaucracy?
Ha ha i can answer "all of the above and more"
Our original project contractor took off with second payment... Never to be seen again, hadn't paid his workers or supplier's, fled to Java then Malaysia apparently. So kind of cleaned us out, but we managed to get it done in end. Always stuck with Balinese after that. Pretty sketchy time but learned a lot. Did a few more successful projects after that, all in mid to late 00's.