More from Wax Off
truebluebasher said: Who requested the most despicable reverse hostile cross national sickly song about world's #1 arsehole!
Think tbb should first warn the…
World Music... oops, I mean, music that is perhaps unfamiliar to western listeners because it's from underrepresented places..61
blackers said: A song fer Sussan.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay…
Tunes8,398
lucky-al said: Likewise, freeride76. Will call in next time I'm down your way.
Botany Nerds Ahoy2,639
seeds
said:
Opti said “Anyone who reads your past comments will easily see why you’re not worth engaging in conversation.”
No numbn
All Things Religion Thread
5463
Optimist
said:
Where I live now is perfect…..but I’ve had better in the past.
Where in AUS would you live in you could take your pick?
17
freeride76
said:
You're always going to run the risk of a big flatty busting you or biting you off on light gear and bait hooks.
I wou
Fishing tips
1149
Supafreak
said:
This guy has broken his back in 2 places plus other injuries but this horrific fall didn’t break his spirit, such a amaz
The MTB Thread
315
A Salty Dog
said:
[quote=velocityjohnno]Bagspreading
Be the bigger man and don't do it
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/n
Australia - you're standing in it
10602
Looking through some old photos of mentawi and here’s a 11 shot sequence , what I like is the coconut that you can first see in bottom right corner and in the seventh shot it’s gone up and over my head lol.









Deep as you like , mate.
Good stuff Supa.
Just a tip, after you upload your pics to ImgBB make sure you choose 'html full linked' to have them show on the page.
Thanks westo , I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to computers or iPhones , I only learnt to copy and paste last month so any tips I can get are greatly appreciated .
Doing a test to see if I got it right westo.


:) keep trying supafreak!
Keep trying Supa, we've all been through it :)
Keep trying Supa, we've all been through it :) +1
Read this
https://www.swellnet.com/forums/wax/41251
Bragging rights barrel Superfreak
Cheers guys , it’s hard teaching an old dog new tricks but l will persist
Why I love Indonesia.






Great shots!
Yep.
View from my balcony and bedroom , can’t get out of oz and into Bali , hopefully things change soon.

Sea monster , photo by Dave Kelly late 70s , no photoshop back then
upload images
Wow that’s a big Occy Supafreak.
How big was the shark? Was this in Indo?
Wow nice location Supafreak, good on you.
@goofy , yeah mate this photo was taken on lembongan late 70s, I didn’t know Dave Kelly personally but had seen him around , I didn’t get there until 1980 , don’t know the story behind the photo but Mark Coleman R.I.P. told me he saw it out the back of lacerations and headed straight for shore , he told the locals and captain cricket paddled a canoe out to it and tried to harpoon it but couldn’t puncture its skin . A few years later captain cricket speared a turtle out the back of shipwrecks and while hanging on as the turtle dove a tiger shark bit his head and arm clean off . That shark hung around for about 15 years and had a few close calls with it . I myself was out the back of laceration with about 6 others when the water about 70 meters out starting churning , next thing this tentacle came out of the water and we were out of there in record time . I think they get to about 15 meters in length. Fooking scary critters.
@indo , yeah mate I miss my second home , me and a west Ozzie buddy chucked in $10,000 each and the local brother Agus put in $5000 and his land about 10 years ago , the deal is we let him know what dates we are coming and he rents it when we’re not there . He does all the maintenance and gets a good dollar for it. A win win situation , we have known this family for 40 years and have a give and take relationship. I built a place on my wife’s family land too but it’s up a mountain past kubu and although very peaceful it’s along way from the surf but keeps the wife happy.
Great setup SF.
Loved the vibe on the island on my only visit a few years ago.
@SF
Is that Lembongan up Shipwrecks end?
I havent been over there for 20 years plus, but the waves look like it, but from memory even at high tide you could see the seaweed farming rows?
@indo , yeah that’s shipwrecks out the back , the seaweed farms finished about 5 -6 years ago and all the sand came back , it was amazing how the farms had stopped the natural sand movement and there was a lot of erosion along the foreshore, now there’s a mountain of sand. Since covid hit and the downturn in tourism the locals have gone back to farming seaweed but with mixed results. It’s a hard life seaweed farming and your hours of work are dictated by the tides so if it’s low tide at 2 in the morning everyone is out working. They lose a lot to fish and strong currents and swell make it break off the line . Plus it stopped before as there was no vacant land left on the foreshore because of development so it became a long walk to lay it down to dry. At the end 5 years ago most of the farms were leased by locals to people from nusa penida , if you have land on lembongan you are entitled to lots in the lagoon, not sure how they work it out. Times are certainly tough on lembongan now and seaweed is about 8000 to 10000 rp a dry kilo but when over supply it falls to 2500


Some old photos by Dave Kelly before the seaweed farms
First photo is muntigs and lacerations 2nd photo is probably how you remember shipwreck indo.

Thanks for the photos sf. Great stuff. I recognised those Shipwrecks shots straight away. I caught my best wave in Indo in a maxing solo sesh out there. I've only been to Indo once. In 1989. Nice waves. Seemed a bit crowded.
I do daydream about going there quite often.
Oh okay wow...i was a bit confused as the wave was saying Shipwrecks to me but the beach and water was saying cant be, but that makes sense.
I have some nice pics from about 20+ years ago that i took of seaweed farmers, i will dig them up and take pics of them.
Always liked that little Island just a real nice place, and Shipwrecks just a good fun all round wave and Lacerations a really fun little barrel, only draw back was it such a total place.
Good stuff Supa, the pics are awesome, and your house looks sweet as.
Cheers westo , with some luck can get back there this year , the wife’s a bit stressed.
Home sweet home.



I have done a fair bit of fishing around nusa penida over the years and have a thousand stories of what I’ve found and caught along that rugged coastline. This day we were trolling a skirt around a particular small island and a sea eagle I think it’s a osprey hung out in one of the trees with a perfect view of the water around it. I had seen this bird hundreds of times but I was usually trolling deep divers not skirts . Anyway he took a interest in the skirt on top of the water and was hovering about 2 feet above it . On our 3rd time trolling around the rock he ( to my surprise and shock )picked it up and the hook became caught in his talon, oh shit , all I wanted to do was free him and do no harm . I had 300 meters of line and had to slowly let it out as he flew higher and higher , then his mate turned up and was crashing into him trying to free him of the skirt . After 15 minutes he was exhausted and crashed in the ocean . I slowly wound in the line while Putu drove towards him . We got within 5 meters and fuck me he took of again and I had to let the line out again. 10 minutes later he crashed again and this time we were able to grab him . To my relief the hook hadn’t even penetrated his talon it was simply sitting between his claws . We released him unharmed I assure you and slowly headed up the coast. The bird followed us for 10 klms circling the boat from a hight of about 100 mtrs . Crazy bird lol we had the whole thing on video and I asked made to send it to me , he accidentally deleted it but I have some photos of the experience and we managed to score a fish.


You see many sharks out there Supa?
Always surprised that you don’t hear many stories of attacks in Indo
A tiger shark hung around shipwrecks for about 15 years that I knew of but I haven’t sighted it for 20 odd years, it was about 4-5 meters , sharks in general around lembongan and penida have been fished out by locals years ago . They were getting 400,000 rp a kilo for the fins being sold on Asian market . At one stage it was estimated that they were killing 100 a day off penida , no joke , some local friends told me horror stories of live puppies being used as bait . Divers around these islands get very excited if they see a shark these days as it’s rare . There’s a few bull sharks about up balian way . I remember 2 tigers used to hang about south east of lakey peak at a small wave spot ( cannot remember name it was a left then channel and right ) The currents around lembongan and penida are really strong I’ve been doing 20 knots then go around a corner and been reduced to 2 knots because of current , no shit , the water varies from about 200 to 800 meters , I usually fish in about 60 meters close to the cliffs. One day back in 1988 we tied to a rock and burlied up some west ozzie piltchards much to the horror of Nyoman who wanted to eat them , we caught fish for about 1 hour before small sharks moved in , Nyoman made us throw back the first shark but after that he said keep them . We stopped at 6 about 3ft long and gave them to the local village , they partied that night , no one used to fish up where we went as it was considered dangerous. Today there is unfortunately a lot of plastic in the water.
The local lads in lembongan posting on Facebook how the surf is photo and video below, meanwhile yesterday I had 2 surfs at rainbow 6 hrs total combined, managed to get 6 waves to myself and 4 party waves in that time , a bit fat but fun , no barrels
https://www.facebook.com/100000023877868/posts/4010323855645037/?d=n
Jeff Crawford .......... guaranteed to go fast these boards a stu?
Featured in many a photo too.
Long time since I've been to Thredbo in the summer. Had been meaning to go for months but got stuck kid-sitting - g'day Cameronone! Made a last-minute decision and scored closet-sized accomodation for the right price, sharing a double bunk with my eldest, both beds enjoying a view out the window and across the valley.
Arrived Friday arvo in the rain but the forecast was for blue sky, the combination of which makes for MTB heaven. Tyres will slip in both mud and dust, but when you get that Goldilocks zone in the middle where the soil is tacky and firm you can put a few more degrees into turns.
Saturday was fine but cloudy. Did seven hours of riding and couldn't even speak my name afterwards. Dived in the river then pub dinner and asleep by 6pm.
Sunday was bluebird. Epic weather and riding. The Boy wanted at least one run on Cannonball, a double black diamond run, and he made it most of the way, few offs and a few sections he had to walk, but he was ten foot tall when he cleared the last tabletop and came through the gates at the bottom.
He also got a real eye-opener about what it takes to ride downhill fast. Few sections we sat back and watched good riders fly by and it's astonishing how composed they are with danger all around them. In sport, the 'flow state' is the goal for every athlete where they're not thinking, just reacting, but it takes a particular mindset, one that I can't fathom, to not think when sailing between granite outcrops at 30km/h, the slightest mistake almost certainly ending in painful injury.
I'll be relieved if he never chases that dream.
We spent most of our time on Flow. It's about 4kms long so takes a while to remember the features and dial them in. Did a few runs towards the end, mostly with him in front and me on his back tire, where we both felt right on the edge of our limits. Called it quits while we were feeling good (and in one piece).
As my mate Garv says, "Call two more runs and don't do the last one."
Driving across the Monaro Plains in the arvo sun was like motoring into a landscape painting.
That's some mighty fine kid sittin' there Stu.
good times. great memories for you both.
awesome
Geez, super Dad Stu award, unreal. Tough job, but someone's got to do it. Thanks for sharing.
That was really good Stu, congrats to the young fella and yourself, great pics & experience.
html picture upload
Great photo SF. That taken from a swell about ten years back? I recall vid footage showing waves overtopping the pontoon and breeching the beachfront.
Yes Stu the big pontoon (barge originally a tennis court for floating hotel in Vietnam ) broke 3 of its chains and was listing on it’s side , I saw some footage of a small pontoon cartwheeling down the face of a wave , the Bali Hai and Bounty day cruise boats sat out in the straight in massive seas with a couple hundred terrified guests on board waiting it out before heading back to benoa harbour.
dupe list
dupe list
Couple of shots from the northern Blue Mountains..