More from Wax Off
truebluebasher said: Who requested the most despicable reverse hostile cross national sickly song about world's #1 arsehole!
Think tbb should first warn the…
World Music... oops, I mean, music that is perhaps unfamiliar to western listeners because it's from underrepresented places..61
blackers said: A song fer Sussan.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay…
Tunes8,398
lucky-al said: Likewise, freeride76. Will call in next time I'm down your way.
Botany Nerds Ahoy2,639
seeds
said:
Opti said “Anyone who reads your past comments will easily see why you’re not worth engaging in conversation.”
No numbn
All Things Religion Thread
5463
Optimist
said:
Where I live now is perfect…..but I’ve had better in the past.
Where in AUS would you live in you could take your pick?
17
freeride76
said:
You're always going to run the risk of a big flatty busting you or biting you off on light gear and bait hooks.
I wou
Fishing tips
1149
Supafreak
said:
This guy has broken his back in 2 places plus other injuries but this horrific fall didn’t break his spirit, such a amaz
The MTB Thread
315
A Salty Dog
said:
[quote=velocityjohnno]Bagspreading
Be the bigger man and don't do it
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/n
Australia - you're standing in it
10602
Hi and cheers Craig, hope the three of you are having a wonderful time.
Your photos are great, I’ve recognised a few of those spots from being in that area for three weeks January gone. Safe travels. AW
Very nice AW. Good use of light and reflection. Like the windmill particularly.
Love your eye for light @AW
Blackers . Hi mate. All the best to you.
I’ve mentioned previously I observe and listen to what you write about photography, it’s definitely helped.
I don’t just snap away immediately with the phone, I take the time to compose the picture, look at the available light or lack there of.
I’m using the iPhone in a better photographic way for me that is. I’m no photographer, but I love beautiful subjects and photos. Thanks for your advice. AW
GuySmiley. Hi pal.
Thanks.
Well a reciprocal loved your B&W photo of your dog on WOTD, another timely snap on life’s road. Good one . AW
A few days ago I was commissioned by our Field Naturalists Club and the City of Greater Geelong to construct two very sturdy wing walls to an existing bird hide at Jerringot Wetlands.
These additions were required as people approached the first iteration, water birds would be scared off by people arriving to use the hide.
It gets flooded periodically hence the 400mm gap at its base to reduce hydraulic pressure.
Alas, 24 hours later I drive past, I always like to check my work, it’s just a habit, it’s gotta be spot on.
I walked behind one wing wall and noticed this.
A Saunders Case Moth had kicked into action and constructed a 250mm long cocoon, fascinating.
The biological world waits for no one. Entropy is amazing. AW
Nice work there @AW
that second shot's a great silhouette @AW..
you saluting a job well done from that little cowboy hat you're always wearing..
before you ride off into the sunset, whistling your merry tune.
(nice work mate.. fucking crazy those cocoons, hey?
- can't believed they smashed out a cocoon
just as quickly as you can knock up a couple of wings).
Basesix. Howdy partener, birdie numb numb ( The Party, 1968)
Very clever use of words by yourself, I’m not surprised.
Gobsmacked when I saw the cocoon, I thought are you shitting me, build me a cocoon and a moth will come.
Yee ha, that silhouette does look like I’m dipping the lid of a cowboy hat, at least my work was not done by a cowboy. AW
Cheers guy.
Haven’t enquired for awhile.
You sound up and about.
How’s your health mate, genuinely interested. AW
Yes great looking work there @AW.
And to quote Orson Welles re. the second shot "“Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows! "
And I can't see the word "cocoon" without being reminded of The Militant Black Guy at the video store...
Adam12. Hi fella. Hope ya well.
Cheers, always do my best.
Couple of cheeky funny quotes and skits. You must have a good memory.
Great run of weather, smashing waves last Friday, looks like big incoming this weekend. See what pans out. All the best. AW
All good @AW, cheers
Talking about loving architecture you can't go past Iwan Iwanoff without realising how truly talented a lot of architects are.
garyg1412. Hi mate, great to hear from you hope you’re well.
Incredible, can’t believe I’d not heard of him before. I just read his biography, wow what a talented person, the journey to Australia and his life, I’m going to read more later.
I love that use of concrete blocks and bricks.
Foresight like many don’t have.
We underestimate using grey blocks for beautiful aesthetics in natural settings especially when you don’t want the building to be the dominant feature in a landscape.
I worked on a house in 2016 in Apollo Bay up the back of town on the side of a hill, from down at sea level when you looked towards the hill the house was almost invisible. We are blessed with great current day architects in Australia, Glenn Murcutt, Paul Morgan, Sean Godsell and many more.
Harry Seidler shaped much of modern day Sydney, of course not one of our own, but Jorn Utzon, the Dane who designed the Opera House and many other great places globally, especially in the Mediterranean. AW
AW watch the episode on Paganin House on ABC's Renovation Australia. It will get you so pumped up on mid century modern architecture. It's such a pity this era of architecture is not being protected in Australia at the moment. Developers are mowing down our history on a massive scale, especially in the big cities. Tragic.
garyg1412. Hi fella.
Thank you, I share your latter sentiments.
There’s been a name for the syndrome you’ve so well pointed out, I’ve known it for 25 years.
It’s called ‘Urban Infill Architecture’ where buildings of beauty and heritage nature
relevant to Australia, are knocked over on a whim, when all they really need is well spent funds to refurbish and restore them. In their place comes whatever design and architectural flair is ‘hip’ at the time.
The problem with this syndrome is it then sets a precedent for others in that street to then be able to knock over there place and build some new type of abode that’s not in keeping with the previous heritage covenants. It’s an urban disease.
Planners poke holes in the regulations citing some minor safety issue and before you know it, it’s demolished.
Similar to the Fitzroy Garden toilet block, again it’s driven by insurance companies who insure the state or the local government relevant to the issue. All the best. AW
Noice!!!
Perfect @supafreak
it's not perfect, it's ugly. it's a stupid and ugly wave like your face.
Nah, it’s a thing of beauty. You are spending too much time with entitled teenagers.
nup. yucky.. wouldn't go there if gave me a zillion dollars.. so there.
Your loss. I’d happily give away my job for that.
yep.
me too.
Indonesian version of the tall ships , a few cruising in the strait today .
Here’s some avian beauties from a bird excursion on lead on Thursday in the Brisbane Ranges National Park.
Apart from the Eastern Rosella, the other species are quite rare for the area surveyed.
AW, I’d tell you what they were but I haven’t got my book with me.
One has to be a robin? Old sexy breast that is.
The other colourful one has to be a finch.
diamond firetail's just a trendy metro cool version
of our perfectly fine red browed finch ; )
Seeds. Detention for you after school , you may even get a spanking, which you might like.
From the top.
Eastern Rosella, Diamond Firetail ( a huge finch compared to others), but around Basesix ‘s hood, trumped up sparrows apparently.
Scarlett Robin, well identified Seeds, its scientific name is Petroica boodang and its Aboriginal common name is Boodang.
Last bird is a Restless Flycatcher, rarely seen by most bird observers, we had a male and female two metres away from us doing their stuff, unperturbed by our presence, one photo shows a moth been caught. AW
haha, I just have a soft spot for subtle @AW, it's all great, obviously.. but I'm probably a correa alba guy rather than a bottlebrush guy.
(shortcoming's in me obviously.. but I live in the right place for my predilections).
I'm in beachport atm and the big moths are doing their last thing as the big cold settles.. actually I saw a ratty critter run into my courtyard last week and scoop up a death-throes-moth (are they likely bogongs? their larvae make great Glenelg River bait) in its mouth before scuttling off.. coulda sworn it was an antechinus bush rat, seemed to have a little triangular head and fawny coloured rather than brown-grey. I need to get on top of being able to make that distinction. Big mangey wombat being treated too, comes onto my lawns of an evening, but pretty far gone : (
Sounds like an antechinus to me. Bogong Moths have been a bit of a mystery over the last few years, the regular voluminous amounts recorded by observers are not being seen in regular places, probably to do with human beings and our gross habitat clearing and change of ranges. Who knows.
Correa alba hey, bit of a cliff hanger on our Tertiary geology of the Surf Coast. AW
Nice work Alfred.

We are finally seeing a return of the Eastern Rosellas. After a long absence (rarely seen in the 24 years I have lived here) I have seen some individuals and a small flock in the past month. Fewer Rainbow Lorikeets and smaller numbers of noisy miners which may be helping. Lovely birds.
Also saw a black shouldered kite doing its thing while walking the dog.
Nice day for it.
Blackers. Hi. Nice shot.
Black Shouldered Kites are just starting to show themselves , they can be very unassuming, they don’t really go away but they keep themselves hidden.
Mating and young are produced over Winter.
They are one of only two raptors that hover, the other is Nankeen Kestrel. AW
The ultimate Thermonuclear reactor sans radioactive waste. AW
When the purple kicks in.

Photo by Ben Matson.
This evening’s sunset .


Supafreak Hi mate.
Spectacular. I love the tones , you don’t always need many colours to make a great vision. AW
Ultramarine blue + Titanium white with light touches of Alizarin crimson
Penleigh Boyd Lorne 1921

Hehe I don’t know any arty people to confirm.
Seems legit.
GuySmiley. Hi mate.
Beautiful Boyd work that’s for sure. The ability to capture the scene without elaborate colours or enhancement.
Reminds me of late on hot days when you have Eucalyptus trees close to the coast, Smokey blue/purple skies from the refraction and reflection of light through air borne evaporative aromatic Eucalyptus oil. AW
cheers, @seeds and @Guy.. that's magic.
I think the sun high up in the haze sets the scene perfectly.
Good description @AW ^^
Penleigh Boyd was a genius.
Another Untitled (Port Phillip Bay) 1920
Port Arlington William Dunn Knox
Nice stuff.

Moods of Port Phillip loom large.
Sunrise, believe it or not, up Teewah when lots of bushfires in SE QLD


Over the dutch sunrises



GuySmiley. Hi pal. Hope ya well.
Love it mate and would love a couple of those ^ on my wall. Good stuff. AW