More from Wax Off
truebluebasher said: Who requested the most despicable reverse hostile cross national sickly song about world's #1 arsehole!
Think tbb should first warn the…
World Music... oops, I mean, music that is perhaps unfamiliar to western listeners because it's from underrepresented places..61
blackers said: A song fer Sussan.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay…
Tunes8,398
lucky-al said: Likewise, freeride76. Will call in next time I'm down your way.
Botany Nerds Ahoy2,639
seeds
said:
Oh shit yeah, I’ve been there a couple of times. Once on school camp and once as a adult 25 years younger than now.
Show us your photos
2812
seeds
said:
Opti said “Anyone who reads your past comments will easily see why you’re not worth engaging in conversation.”
No numbn
All Things Religion Thread
5463
Optimist
said:
Where I live now is perfect…..but I’ve had better in the past.
Where in AUS would you live in you could take your pick?
17
freeride76
said:
You're always going to run the risk of a big flatty busting you or biting you off on light gear and bait hooks.
I wou
Fishing tips
1149
Supafreak
said:
This guy has broken his back in 2 places plus other injuries but this horrific fall didn’t break his spirit, such a amaz
The MTB Thread
315
Like I said... the dumbtards Maz
Yeah not planning too, it's the result i wanted and think is right for Australia, but in a weird way i feel a little sadness for others.
Cheers respect your opinion.
As do I Indo.
Good on you two.
Who did you want to win in NZ?
Looks like National party getting in yeah, i guess a bit of a push back to Covid maybe?
Anything but what we've had. New energy. Hard work.
I'd imagine you're probably feeling a bit of sadness for our FNP. Whether you are a yes or a no voter, you can surely appreciate the immense challenges facing our FNP and also the toll this last few weeks/months has had on their communities.
I am personally very disappointed in the expected result and think a voice for FNP was better for Australia as a whole. I just hope that people can try and come together to support our FNP at this time. I hope we can all agree on that.
I look forward to what unravels over the coming weeks . In my opinion, Australia you’ve been conned. https://theklaxon.com.au/ztem-75/
Disappointing result but to be expected I guess.
You do know he’s so miserable he’ll never give you a reach around?
yeh, maybe Supa. Australia has always been ripe for the IP picking, rich country with low population, in charge of what goes down. I saw it as a kid, 2nd rung companies getting top title here for a while via market investment, Pepsi, Sega, Burger King, etc. Even bands like Matchbox 20 and Live, given enough daytime telly ads, could algorithm their way to success. Now if the elites of the elites have worked that out, and now we are metadata social media numpties.. well, blue sky limit.. maybe we all need tin hats... any vested interest, 2nd rung companies wanna invest?
All this is probably true but result seem to be a landslide No. I don’t think it can be fully attributed to these campaigns and especially Dutton who still remains a very unpopular figure.
;)
Jelly, did you watch the whole doco series? That was a crazy story.
Gutted
No words.
@flollo
Yep, wild country, wacky stuff
I don't think you would either Guy.
So where does that leave us?
I'm sad for you Southern. I know this was very close to your heart, probs moreso than most. Just stay on your path. You may never get there but never forget, you're heading in the right direction.
@JF Hahahaha I’m in stitches. But it does raise a potential problem with elections. Especially in this age of social media disinformation.
Sad day for Australia.
I'm sorry.
glad you added the @JF, seeds, I thought you were just laughing at the ref results! So many good words get brought into SN usage (gritters being one: typo, call-out, justify, usege.. brilliant) like obfuscate. I just used numpties.. I reckon that was an adam12..?
Numpties is well established in my vocabulary
Ha ha! You can't go past the lexicon of Indo.
Albo's voice reflection speech just then was actually pretty spectacular. Me too a-m.
An embarrisingly sad day for Australia.
Fear and paranoia triumphant over compassion and virtue.
"poor fella my country"
It’s a great day for Australia, for all Australian people.
A day the Australian people spoke clearly against racial segregation, privilege and division.
A day we confirmed that there is no them and us, that we are all one peoples standing together in unity with a shared destiny.
A day we upheld the basic principles underlying our free way of life of equal opportunity, equal rights, and equal freedoms.
This referendum was not a vote on the establishment of a Voice body or on the recognition of Aboriginal Australians. It was just a vote on constitutional change.
A Voice body can be created in legislation and Aboriginal Australians can continue to be recognised and celebrated in many ways.
I, like all Australians, want and will continue to work towards better outcomes for Aboriginal Australians and this referendum does not change that or reflect otherwise.
I agree, but now we know where it stands @mattlock. The sand is blown off a dusty frieze, and people are looking at what is what. That is heartening: the first nation groups that are saying 'we are not a problem to be solved', the conservatives that wish-well and throw dollars, the useless leftists that know nothing, the useless righties that know nothing, the views on city/country/my-best-mate/regional aboriginal people. Seems all pretty real now.
Once the damage is looked at, a wonderous culture being thrust suddenly into a spotlight of hardly their choosing (faaark knows what that means to vulnerable people, my god) is at least addressed in part... maybe some good conversations will happen, steeped in reality and recognition.
(gsco, mate, you're as mad as a stick)
New heading.
'The Irrelevance of Reparations for Indigenous Australians for (imagined) Historical Injustices.
There.
Fixed it.
As Harry pointed out the Monarchy ref failed .
Both referendums asked Australians to change our Constitution , our Foundation Stones , without providing enough detail ( when , what and why ) imho .
Most Australians wanted our own head of state ( that's why a referendum gets called , not some 50/50 idea ) , BUT , wanted to know how our Head our State would be chosen/elected before agreeing .
SpudDutton and his greasy minions are the reason for the fail. It was always likely to fail without bipartisanship. I don't know where gsco gets his "equality" stuff from except some covert form of reverse racism... it would've still been about equality except that Aboriginal people were finally granted equality in the founding document. In fact the founding "document"in this country is what the Western Desert people call Tjukurpa (other names for other groups)... those founding stories and laws are 60k+ years old... not just 122.
Anyway i know that most Aussies are like my extended family... the stereotypical whitey aussie suburban footy fanatic "hard-working" grassroots common everybodies. I gave up on most of them years ago when every Xmas lunch as a young fella I'd listen to their blatantly racist bullshit amp up as they got more pissed. It's also the reason i keep pretty much to myself these days... so tired of those boring bbq get-togethers when the conversations start with "I'm not racist,but..."
Poor fella my country alright!
But don't despair...as mentioned in the commentaries tonight, there's a whole new crop of Aboriginal leadership now and issues have been shoved in the face of every Australian. As for Price, I'm looking forward to her explications on her colonisation theory... more laughs to come!
Are you serious?
Great post @harrycpr. Pretty much sums up how i see and feel things.
Thanks mate.
The Harrys of Australia had a huge part in the NO vote winning. Yet he's too dumb to see it
totally
no one is listening to dutton
a lot of false attribution going on
mayo and co. rattling on about 'lies' and 'misinformation'
still...
with no examples or clarification ever entered into
seems that was the whole and only campaign stategy
and now the post mortem...
blame!
no 'growth' in that...
Can someone check on Briggs from A.B Original? He must be tired of labelling 59% of Australia racists
it is a hollow victory though...
(not that I wanted it)
I do feel for the YES crew
nothing is fixed
possibly a disaster averted...
but still much work to do, for everyone!
here's hoping for a real change!
My god that Dutton is a case! OMG Officer Peter, when you speak do you have to go into the hurtful details that is wounding to the ones who are afflicted from tonight’s results, where is your tact? This is not the standing of a man that is proud, that I want as a leader, let alone a leader of our country. And putting down Albo, Nah! Okay but Nah!
Dutton is doing exactly what he is accusing the Govt. of, being divisive, he and his people are masters of it! Why do they give him so much air time!
And JP stating “We are absolutely not a racist country” Spare us Jacinta!
Yes, it was called! David had the line rehearsed so he announced it within a millisecond of Anthony Greens prediction. At that stage the vote was somewhere in the 30% counted stage. Not sure how they know which side has won at that stage, or how that is determined?
But you know, there is optimism that the Yes representation was very solid, Very solid against a wave of disinformation that was odiously spread about by the No camp esp. LNP!
But ACT trumped it, NSW were gaining well into the 40%, QLD, and well that is QLD for you but Brisbane was over the 60% mark.
The YES side is strong, make no mistake it is a very well weighted vote and the FNP should take great solace from that. Even in my small way I will continue to do my bit of support for the advancement and promotion of the FNP. I have learned so much during this time just what an amazing people the Indigenous people of this land are. They have incredible knowledge, incomparable awareness of the earth, sun, air and water and how we relate to the cycles of life within the universe. That’s all we need for a place of peace and sustainability for ours and their survival, which includes our forested areas with the all the ecology that relies on it. I see optimism! A lot has been learned and more will follow. Cheers
Edit: Sypkan just summarised in less than 10 what I wanted to in half a book, Thanks Sypkan Cheers
some never tire of that shit
it's a choice, a vocation...
an identity
Ah I see fishfood's back to his usual arsehole self... didn't take long
Reform - you make it sound like a Political Election ( we will get them next time ?)
Referendums are not supposed to be political .
A big mistake to think so imo .
Yay Australia. Ignorance, gullibility, fear, a victim mentality and a dash of racism won over hope. Great day.
gsco, I used to think you were educated and maybe even intelligent. The first part is probably undeniable, given you probably have a piece of paper from a place I worked at for a few decades. The second part has long flown the coup. You ditched your intelligence and a good deal of your education for belief.
I haven’t called you out for some of your egregious BS, didn’t want to inflame the debate here or anywhere else. Your trading of education and maybe even intelligence for the magic beans of belief was a terrible trade for you. I suspect you have years enough to rectify that terrible trade, but you can’t see it now and are unlikely to see it in the future.
You have been a fool. It’s a sad development.
Of course there are others here who have been much worse. I’m just picking on you for being that sad stereotype of a man growing older with a mind growing smaller. In spite of your education, which clearly stopped when your beliefs set in. As it does.
Enjoy living in fear and prejudice, it is its own reward.
Fucken numptey.
Good on you @reform.
Yep, now's a time to double down on the love, not the fear and anger.
Hard as it is to swallow that right now.
I took a walk today to a really remote place, right in the heart of coastal Noongar country.
Saw snakes, whales, lizards, birds, the place was in full flower, you could feel the energy of thousands upon thousands of years of integration with this land oozing out of it. You always can in most raw places in Australia. The swell was massive, 10foot plus and building, just slamming into these Teahupooespue rock ledges. A chance to feel and reflect upon what i knew was the inevitable.
This country and the people who care for it are resilient. It's another blow, upon many, it's the same kind of blow that they've been copping for the small period in history that they've had to adjust to the new visitors, but they have and will endure. They may not ask as nicely next time though.
What i have had confirmed is that politics is as ugly as it's ever been and getting worse, media manipulates to whatever end suits their needs, and social media is the cake that gets baked when all of that is mixed together.
This cake tastes like shit. That's the strongest words i'll use, because i can't be bothered getting angry and having that energy. It's just compassion for the Indigenous families, kids, older generation that woke up this morning, and had their hopes high finally for change that they've waited so long for....recogntion..only to have had that shut down, again. I can't imagine how gutted they're feeling right now.
Anyway, gonna spend some time reflecting. Cheers to all, good health and well wishes and sick waves.. No harm or suffering should ever come upon anyone.
Always was and always will be, Aboriginal land.
Thanks for your comment Pops, Your probably right but If the Politicians would stay out of it, I might too. But point taken I will reflect on, Cheers
Reform - I have watched all the episodes of Yes Minister , and Prime Minister , The Hallowmen and Utopia .
I hate all Politicians , but can't complain too much , as I wouldn't want the job .
I am really happy if they don't make any BIG F...k Up's .
The art of life - Don't make any big mistakes :))
That's healing right there Southern! Impactful adventure, the awareness and attentiveness, sentience, gratitude and awe of being alive in the powerful and enriched surrounding’s, That sounded so great esp with the huge swell, love it! Take much care and thank you!
@gsco: This referendum was not a vote on the establishment of a Voice body or on the recognition of Aboriginal Australians. It was just a vote on constitutional change.
Huh? Typically confused rhetoric just like every 2nd sentence or speech from the no camp, including the leaders of it, incredibly. All over the fucken shop.
So, from the no camp: confusion (deliberate or otherwise) , misinformation (deliberate), outright lies (deliberate), stupidity (unintentional) and angling for a political advantage (deliberate) won the day. And I didn't even mention blatant racism! (from Neo-nazi groups marching with No rallies right through to the silent, bog-standard racism quietly held by Joe Average). The flyers in my letterbox, the advertising I've seen from the No camp.. (from the likes of Hanson, Clive Palmer no less! ) contained all of the above. And it was so obvious!
Well done No winners. Something you can reflect back on over the years and feel proud about.
So little was asked of all Australians, it was just one of many things needing to be done with regards to recognition and closing the gap, and we couldn't even afford Indigenous Australians that.
Sorry but right now I'm in no mood to be all conciliatory and "let's work together" and gracious. For now I'm going to express the factual truth around the No campaign and No voters and call it and them out for what it is. Maybe after a cuppa and a good lie down I'll be conciliatory tomorrow. Maybe.
@southernraw: Good on you @reform.
Yep, now's a time to double down on the love, not the fear and anger.
Hard as it is to swallow that right now.
Nice post and sentiments SR. I will too.
Australians under 40 had never voted in a referendum .
Had dinner with my 2 daughters tonight , 19 and 22 .
Both had done their own research and understood both sides .
Like me , would not have listened to Dutton , Price or Albo .
Why would we ?
They voted Yes . Was very proud of them , again !
Both were sad and angry at how political the campaign had become .
This failed referendum has highlighted how politics has failed to work , again , to solve one of Australia's most important issues .
Hand passing problems is not what we do or expect .
We are NOT happy with this outcome or the entire , at times grubby , process .
Very unAustralian imo !!!
Australians want something done now !
This Land has been here for ages . FNP have been here 60k approx years , wonderful custodians ( not ownership , I thought ) .
A Treaty will be signed , one day .
Work has to start tomorrow .
Hopefully , all Australians will then be welcome to have custody of "This Great Southern Land ".
"Two things are infinite .
The Universe and human stupidity .
.....and I'm not sure about the universe ."
Albert Einstein
cheers @greebs. Great post and sentiments.
And thanks to you....after reading your post i was inspired to have a cuppa. Was just what was needed.
Noonook boorda djinang